Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2013, 12:00   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Have an update on the Safari, visited the Mechanic today after a week, the Safari was there, all dusty, but the front top of the engine was fully taken off, could see the pistons and cylinders clearly.

The good news is that there is no crack in the head, so the 15,000 estimate stands, a new head would have set me back by 36,000. There was also no blown head gasket! The gasket was fine, what had actually happened was due to 1,15,000 kilometres of running, there developed a leak in the compression between the cylinders, this happened because the lower part of the engine is cast iron and the upper part is aluminium, the aluminium was straightened and shaved for fitting and the valves were all changed, the vehicle should be up and running by tomorrow evening

Thank God there was no water leak into the cylinders or turbo, the mechanic had feared that, he has certified that the vehicle would be highway worthy again

Looking forward to picking the vehicle back and taking it for a longish test drive to find out the difference
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 12:57   #107
Senior - BHPian

The Safari is back home, total damages 19,000 rupees. Took it for a small spin today, there is no bubbles in the radiator and there are no bubbles in the radiator reservoir tank. The vehicle also did not overheat, its running smoother and the pick-up has increased

Will post more details after a longer drive and also upload the detailed bill

Last edited by TheARUN : 5th October 2013 at 13:03.
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 20:18   #108
Senior - BHPian

Attaching the bills

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-image1656307631.jpg

TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step-image652163749.jpg
Old 6th October 2013, 21:08   #109
Senior - BHPian

Bongos, I hope the Safari lasts thousands of miles before any major work. What I did with my TCIC was not rev'ving it above 2.5K rpm because there is really no juise left after 3K rpm.
Old 6th October 2013, 22:56   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Bongos, I hope the Safari lasts thousands of miles before any major work. What I did with my TCIC was not rev'ving it above 2.5K rpm because there is really no juise left after 3K rpm.
This last trip that I took, I revved it real hard, most of the time 120-130 kmph, the RPM meter was hovering above 3,000 I think that is what did it in, but that should not happen, its designed to cruise at that speeds, I can surely drive below 2,500 but that keeps the speed at 90kmph

Not that I want to drive fast, just wanted to explore the capability of the TCIC. Will be sticking below 2,500 as adviced, but trust me, its worth the money, the performance you get when driving it flat out on expressway, its like an AK-47 point-and-shoot, you can pick your targets on the expressway and overtake them at ease
Old 8th October 2013, 11:39   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
This last trip that I took, I revved it real hard, most of the time 120-130 kmph, the RPM meter was hovering above 3,000 I think that is what did it in, but that should not happen, its designed to cruise at that speeds, I can surely drive below 2,500 but that keeps the speed at 90kmph

Not that I want to drive fast, just wanted to explore the capability of the TCIC. Will be sticking below 2,500 as adviced, but trust me, its worth the money, the performance you get when driving it flat out on expressway, its like an AK-47 point-and-shoot, you can pick your targets on the expressway and overtake them at ease
@2.5k you get 100 Kmph or a little more than that. You can cruise at 120 Kmph but make sure that you reach that speed slowly, accelerating hard does put more stress than driving constantly and reaching a particular rpm/speed slowly.
Old 8th October 2013, 20:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

When I used to drive at 2,000rpm I never had any problem. The vehicle used to cruise at 80kmph and the mileage used to be excellent, even when I drove back after the issue that I had, I covered 700 kilometers with a limping vehicle and it did not feel any different while being driven at 2,000rpm
Old 25th August 2022, 22:54   #113
Senior - BHPian

Hey Arun! Lovely thread of the Safari. Curious to know what's the latest update of the Safari?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks