Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2009, 12:42   #31
BANNED

@sbhasin: Agreed. It is never a good idea to try and throw sand into the eyes of the vendor. As for the box I think it is quite safe going in for service installed in the vehicle. There is not a lot they can do with it. They may try and advise you that it is not a good idea!
Old 10th February 2009, 17:57   #32
rippergeo

Congrats on the box, I have some idea of how nice the car feels after it.

Old 11th February 2009, 13:57   #33
BHPian

Guys - I want to get my headlights upgraded before my Goa trip (Feb 23). Earlier I was bit apprehensive of doing it before a long trip (w.r.t failures on the way) but now I am thinking if I do it - I still have lots of time to test it

So I am looking for suggestions. Dealer has offered to upgrade to Philips 130/100 headlights for Rs 1500 but I am a bit concerned on the increase in wattage. The big positive is getting it done thru Dealer - so all official.
BTW=> Hopefully I do not need to remove Pete's box for lighting upgrade?

My main goal with the upgrade is to imrove the throw and the brightness. I am not too worried on the spread of light.

So the floor is open for suggestions and your personal experiences with lighting upgrades on Innova
Old 11th February 2009, 14:37   #34
BHPian

[quote=akshay1234;1161561]it does everything quicker after petes. i remember keeping up with a civic upto about 130 and overtaking an sx4 from 80-120kmph, mind you that guy was going full throttle. also beat a getz from a signal drag. the look on those drivers faces in something to see.[/QUOTE

how did you guess that he was on full throttle?
Old 11th February 2009, 21:38   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
Guys - I want to get my headlights upgraded before my Goa trip (Feb 23). Earlier I was bit apprehensive of doing it before a long trip (w.r.t failures on the way) but now I am thinking if I do it - I still have lots of time to test it

So I am looking for suggestions. Dealer has offered to upgrade to Philips 130/100 headlights for Rs 1500 but I am a bit concerned on the increase in wattage. The big positive is getting it done thru Dealer - so all official.
BTW=> Hopefully I do not need to remove Pete's box for lighting upgrade?

My main goal with the upgrade is to imrove the throw and the brightness. I am not too worried on the spread of light.

So the floor is open for suggestions and your personal experiences with lighting upgrades on Innova
go ahead and get the 130/100w. they will be a huge improvement over stock. i had those then i switched to 6000k xenons. the light throw is even better but then they are a lot more expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
how did you guess that he was on full throttle?
because he took off from the signal. then i took off after him and was about 20 feet or so behind him by the time we reached 125-130. then i stayed at that speed and he carried on. im just guessing the guy was on full throttle.
Old 14th February 2009, 12:23   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hasnt happened to me.

yet.
Your posts do not indicate any substantial warranty claim, specifically toward the engine & transmission. If & when one does come up, I can assure you that your warranty claim will be rejected.
Old 15th February 2009, 00:00   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Your posts do not indicate any substantial warranty claim, specifically toward the engine & transmission. If & when one does come up, I can assure you that your warranty claim will be rejected.
i can also assure you that the box will be removed incase it has to go for any warranty claim.
Old 21st February 2009, 09:18   #38
BHPian

Today I decided to check the air filter (even though it has been only 15 days since I put Pete's box) before the GOA trip, tomorrow

The air filter box is secured by clasps, so after unclasping, I took out the air filter. It looked very clean still, so I just put it back

But now I am beset with doubts on whether I put it back correctly
Reason - The air filter doesn't seem to be securely fixed to anything in the box. It just seems to sit in a light groove in the box. Is that right? or did I do something wrong?

I am now afraid whether it will dislodge from its place during rough driving

HELP URGENTLY. I start Sun morning, 22 Feb for GOA
Old 21st February 2009, 12:15   #39
Team-BHP Support

its isnt secured. it just sits in that groove in the box. dont worry. make sure you put the 3 clamps on properly.
Old 21st February 2009, 14:53   #40
BHPian

Thanks Akshay - Much reassured now

Will report on my GOA trip once I am back March 1

Cheers
Old 14th April 2009, 13:00   #41
BHPian

Friends - Got sucked into office work after the Goa trip and never got time to report on it but that does not mean that it was not remarkable or that Pete's box did not do the job, far from it...

The drive to Goa was a delight, especially with Pete'd Innova. The overtaking power especially in fourth and fifth gears on NH-4 was awesome. There is without a doubt, no other way to drive an Innova. Those not yet Peted, seriously what are you waiting for!! In fact, I have had enough time to appreciate its virtues in city traffic too. The only thing you need to watch out is rear ending the car in front of you.

How I wish that I could actually plonk an automatic on top of Pete's box and then it would be a perfect car (With the pedals still requiring some work, it is still more of an effort to drive than a sedan)

And while we are on the subject of the drive to Goa, here are some facts and figures: 14 hours on forward and return trips but effectively 10 hours of driving since 2 hours to get out of Bangalore, 1 hour in stop overs and 1 hour to reach Club Mahindra resort in Goa from NH-4A

And NH-4A, what a shame for a national highway, at least the 5 kms stretch of it, that is practically non-existent. Apart from that, it was a comfortable drive, 700 kms one way and we did not feel tired at all when we reached Goa at night
Old 14th April 2009, 13:21   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice that you enjoyed the goa trip in your pete'd Innova. I am sure the initial feeling is mind boggling as i am one satisfied owner.

btw, do you notice smoke from exhaust under heavy accelaration? I am having this problem a bit offlate
Old 15th April 2009, 09:45   #43
BHPian

Nopes, No smoke. Hope you are running with default settings on the Pete's box
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:49   #44
BHPian

June 1st week - Went for my first service (25000 km) after installing Pete's box. I did not remove the box and I informed the service technician of the box and the green cotton air filter so that they do not throw away the filter and put a new one. He said he understands since they have handled other cars with Pete's box.

Service was fine except that I was informed that break pads are worn out and need to be replaces and the wheels skimmed. This whole thing put me back by ~ 4.5k

The car felt more responsive after the servicing since in the days, leading to the service, it had felt a bit heavy. However after a few days of driving it was again lethargic. Initially I did not suspect green cotton air filter as service technician in Nandi toyota told me that it was ok(clean).

After about a month of driving like this, this weekend, I finally took out the air filter and decided to clean it. Although I made a mess of cleaning it up (I have now figured out actually how to clean it, but this 1st time it was done poorly be me - but I have learnt my lessons now), I finally got it in OK shape - Sprayed the oil and installed it back in the car

Let me tell - the performance is very much dependent on a clean air filter for pete's box to work well. In the last 2 days, car is back to its responsive self and my smile is back too

(BTW=> One good indicator for when to clean the air filter is if it stops making that whooooosh sound when accelerating which comes from the air filter)

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:26   #45
BANNED

Good. You seem to have a cooperative service centre. Honestly, unless there is a drive train related issue they should not be losing their shirt. Also, I am sure if they 'plug in' the diagnostics hardware they should be able to detect residue of the Pete's 'tuning' unless you reset the ECU as well (remove the battery fo about 20 minutes)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks