Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:00   #1
BHPian

My Innova with Pete's tuning box - Initial observations

Dear All - Finally decided to go for Pete's tuning box for my Innova 2.5V diesel car. The information on this forum and the experiences of those who had put in Pete's tuning box (Akshay, BUSA) were critical inputs for making the decision. Akshay in particular was very helpful with all my doubts and clarifications

I also spoke with Pete in Kochi and he sent me references of two other Innova owners who have deployed Pete's tuning box. I spoke with them as well and was finally reassured that the product is both reliable and that it works!

At present my car has done 20,000 kms. So it will be interesting to see how the car behaves with the box. I will be using this thread to post my observations.

I am due to travel to Goa (from Bangalore) on Feb 23 so I should have plenty of updates after the trip and hopefully a few before that

For now here is some basic information on installing Pete's tuning box:
I got it fixed from Hot Tracks at Victoria Road, Bangalore. The propreitor Anil Padiwal is a nice guy and himself drives a Peted Innova

The PSI tuning box for the Innova costed Rs 31,200
Along with the Tuning box, I also relaced the air filter with Green Cotton Stock Replacement Filter. That costed Rs 5850.00.

The installation took about 20-25 minutes
While it is a relatively simple process, the audience of this forum should know that most people are better off having a technician familiar with the system take it off and put it back (For those times, when you need to send the car for servicing). At least that is true for the less mechnical minded among us (which is the category in which I certainly fall)

Initial driving impressions are positive. But I really need to take it on a longer drive to get a sense of the difference it has made. One thing I could spot though in the stop and go traffic is that those acceleration dead-spots were not happening

More later...
sbhasin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2009, 00:14   #2
Team-BHP Support

congrats. it takes about 15-20 mins for you to see a real difference.
Old 4th February 2009, 12:58   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats! You will get addicted to the surge in the initial pickup & mid-range. Do keep us updated on the progress. Also, don't forget to remove it before you drop her off for services.
Old 5th February 2009, 13:26   #4
BHPian

Sounds great, seeing after the Hike in no.s of Peted Innova, I think I should also get my Innova Peted done but I am just keeping my Innova till the Fortuner arrives as my machine has already clocked 105000.
Old 6th February 2009, 16:52   #5
BHPian

OK, I have had a few days to observe the Innova and report on post-Peted vs pre-Peted Innova. Here are my salient observations:

1) Power delivery is much more consistent - Earlier I was never sure if the car would respond if I press the accelerator. Now it almost always does

2) Power surge around 1800 rpm. Actually it is more of a small but useful kick rather than an overpowering surge but it is still fun to feel it

3) Much less engine noise and thank god for that - Earlier you had to blaze the living daylights out of the engine to get it to respond. Now the same power gets delivered at a lower RPM, so the stress on the engine is much reduced

4) Much easier to stay at lower speeds within a gear and still have a power reserve

5) I could easily take it to 100 km/h whereas earlier it used to scream bloody murder and seemed to be on a boil going at 100

In short, I am quite pleased with Pete's tuning box. It will certainly add a bit of zing to your car, especially the Innova since it is such a staid car to start with. It cannot change the basic nature of your car but it can certainly make driving a bit more pleasurable and attempt to overcome some of the shortcomings in performance and performance delivery
sbhasin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2009, 17:20   #6
BHPian

Congrats SBhasin! Looking at Akshay's experience I can say you are going to enjoy Peted Innova too.

Cheers!!!
Old 6th February 2009, 17:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

nice and honest. Can you drive a stock innova after a month's driving and post the difference? i think that would give the real difference. Goa trip will give enough opportunites to explore the differences in overtaking etc.
enjoy....
Old 6th February 2009, 17:51   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I can totally agree with your initial experience. When i fitted the box in my Viva, the immediate reaction was- no difference, i was cursing myself for splurging that money. You need a couple of days and driving on open roads too get the full hang of it.

Let me tell you buddy, it certainly makes a difference and dramatically improves the accelaration and mid-range. In my case, the torque use to come into play at 1900 rpm and now it comes in as early as 1400rpm.

After driving around for sometime try removing the box and use your car in stock. Then, it will be reverse reaction, you will curse yourself for removing it and will immediately put it back on.
Old 6th February 2009, 17:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhasin View Post
5) I could easily take it to 100 km/h whereas earlier it used to scream bloody murder and seemed to be on a boil going at 100
Innova's performance is OK and it goes upto 140 kmph quite fast..... are you talking relatively? I mean after and before pete?
Old 6th February 2009, 21:55   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Innova's performance is OK and it goes upto 140 kmph quite fast..... are you talking relatively? I mean after and before pete?
it does everything quicker after petes. i remember keeping up with a civic upto about 130 and overtaking an sx4 from 80-120kmph, mind you that guy was going full throttle. also beat a getz from a signal drag. the look on those drivers faces in something to see.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2009, 22:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats SBhasin. A very nice review. Any reason why you didn't opt for the Twister/Storm kits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
also beat a getz from a signal drag. the look on those drivers faces in something to see.
Wasn't a 1.5 was it?
Old 6th February 2009, 22:14   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Congrats SBhasin. A very nice review. Any reason why you didn't opt for the Twister/Storm kits?

Wasn't a 1.5 was it?
nope. lol probably a 1.3. he started off with wheelspin, my driver was driving. i told him to floor it and we overtook the getz easily.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2009, 11:44   #13
BHPian

Thanks all for the good wishes and congrats! As I said before, this forum is the only bonafide place where an enthusiast can get real data and share their experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd:
Well, it was partially based on Akshay's experience with Storm filter getting clogged two quickly (roughly every 2 months) and out here in Bangalore with a lot more dust, it would have been only worse

Also when I spoke with Pete in Kochi, he straight away recommended the Green Cotton Stock replacement filter and never spoke of the storm so I was reassured that the promised performance gain can be delivered by the Green stock replacement filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque:
Well personally I have never taken Innova this fast. I have sometimes clocked it a bit over 100 and with six people in the stock car, the engine noise and wind noise combine to create quite a bit of hum drum and the engine does seem to be on a boil

Maybe after my next service (Still some 5 months away, since I fitted the kit, right after my last service), I will try it for sometime without the box and post my comments
Old 8th February 2009, 20:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Why? Is it something to do with warranty issues or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats! You will get addicted to the surge in the initial pickup & mid-range. Do keep us updated on the progress. Also, don't forget to remove it before you drop her off for services.
Old 8th February 2009, 20:25   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Why? Is it something to do with warranty issues or something else?
Absolutely. Toyota will withdraw their warranty immediately upon seeing a power box on the engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks