Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My Maruti Wagon-R F10D: 16 years, 258,000 kms, makes way for the Baleno!

Blame it on my height and a few irresistible features that this car had to offer, I chose to book the Wagon R LXi BS III in March 2006. From then, till date, it has been a truly remarkable journey with my companion spanning across multiple destinations for which she has taken all abuses while passing over some of the most non-motorable stretches (Esp for a car with 13" wheels) and even surprising me with her spendid performance over the highways. After driving for 63000 KMS within 3 years I would certainly beg to differ over the misunderstood aspect that this is only a City Car. Most of my ODO clocking has happened on the Highways with full load and I would be a fool to venture out with her if she was unstable, nervous or anything else that many would say.

I have usually driven with speeds between 90-120kmph and I do agree that this car has to be driven the way it is supposed to. One must realise that this is a Tallboy and you cannot expect a sedan's performance when it comes to cornering abilities, though most of the instances I have maneuvered sharp corners between 70-90kmph safely!

Till date, with about 70% AC usage, I have manage a FE of 14-15Kmpl depending on traffic and stop lights in city traffic. With similar usage of AC, I achieve 18-19kmpl on highways with speeds between 90-120kmph (4 passengers in all).

The parts which I have replaced till date are
-Spark plugs - At every 20k Kms
-Tyres - At 52k Kms - Went for wider 155 65 R 13 as stocks were skinny.
-Engine oil, Coolant, Brake fluid - At regular intervals.
-RHS Brake lamp bulb - On 2 occasions in all.
-Front Brake Disc Pads - at 40K Kms
-Rear Brake shoes - Just yesterday at 63k kms - It still had life as the mechanic insisted but despit of several cleaning, it gave that screeching noise while braking at all the times. This was due to the fact that the asbestos on the shoe had become harder.

Modifications -
Not much, except the stock filter's replacement with K & N.
Steering Wheel of the New Wagon-R - Old one was too thin.

ICE
Pioneer Head, with 4" Boston Components (Front) and 6" Xenos Components (Rear) powered by JBL GT5-A604 Amp.

There has been no hassles in terms of any Noise, breakdowns, mishaps wherever I have ventured. My most memorable trip is the one between Bangalore - Pune totalling 850Kms one way, which I was able to manage in 12 Hours flat with 3 pit stops of 30 mins each, that too with a 120 kms pathetic stretch between C'Durga and Haveri (NH 4) where the car's suspension took severe pressure yet to remain as rugged as ever without a noise of a rattle. I have done this trip thrice and the worst was 14 hours. This trip was also memorable for a fact that speed of 150kmph was maintained for over a minute on a straight stretch between Belgaum and Kolhapur. The Max I could touch (recently 2 weeks before) was 160kmph!!

One noticable improvement recently was after I myself replaced the NGK plugs (MGP) with BOSCH Super. I found a drastic difference, especially when I am in very slow speeds (as less as 10Kms) and the AC is on. Earlier I could experience jerks no matter even if the NGKs were newly replaced but with BOSCH, I found this nullified. Performance with the AC on, at higher speeds also bettered with these plugs. Not sure if the plugs were made for this car, but It did work wonders for me.

Pros:
Commanding driving position, superb under-thigh support, Great visibility and roomy interiors for all including shoulder room, Best in class boot space, Reclining rear 60:40 seats, Great AC. Even after test driving lot of sedans, I feel WagonR was always a practical car.

Cons:
If the driver is taller like me 6'+, the rear gets too cramped.
Gearbox was tighther in the begining, better now,Gear throws are longer,Interiors are just OK, AC Controls could've been rotary (in offering now), AC Vents have no options to close. Tyres would've been at least 14" and 155+.

It couldn't have been a better experience like this at 63000 Kms in a WagonR. This one is for you.
paragsachania is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, parag***. 63 K in 3 years seems to be a record! Mine has just touched 50 k in 7.8 years.
I've never got F.E. more than 17 on highway runs, and in city it is 12-13.5.
I agree with most of your points above on the pros and cons, except the following:-
  • I feel it lacks under-thigh support, especially on long runs.
  • The accelerator is placed at an odd angle, and on long runs, I feel inclined to step fully on the throttle to relax my foot.
  • I don't have a 60:40 folding rear seats on my car---rather it is 50:50 folding. I also have reclining rear seats, which later models do not have.
  • It runs out of breath while overtaking on the highways with AC on.
Anyways, enjoy your Waggie!
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice review, parag***. 63 K in 3 years seems to be a record! Mine has just touched 50 k in 7.8 years.
I've never got F.E. more than 17 on highway runs, and in city it is 12-13.5.
I agree with most of your points above on the pros and cons, except the following:-
  • I feel it lacks under-thigh support, especially on long runs.
  • The accelerator is placed at an odd angle, and on long runs, I feel inclined to step fully on the throttle to relax my foot.
  • I don't have a 60:40 folding rear seats on my car---rather it is 50:50 folding. I also have reclining rear seats, which later models do not have.
  • It runs out of breath while overtaking on the highways with AC on.
Anyways, enjoy your Waggie!
Thanks vnabhi for your response. In fact, I'm 6'2" and earlier had an Alto. A awefully wrong choice then in 2004!!! I am sure other cars do have an upper hand when it comes to power delivery, I still felt all of them perform the same when you take them from the same segments. After all, from a 1.1L and 64 Horses, its just about adequate (But you are right, not with the AC on). I have always felt that a 1.3L or higher will be the safest bet when overtaking with the AC On.
On the under thigh support, I felt it was better to me somehow. More so due to the fact that I did similar long drives in various cars including the same segment ones (Indica and Spark) and at times, the Ford Ikon Flair 1.3 and I found the comfort levels more in the WagonR. I was surprised when I took a test drive of the Ford Fusion (I still love its unique looks) and the Hyundai Verna, where my head almost hit the roof and the sun visor affecting my vision. Then there was the Safari and the Scorpio which looked tall from outside and when I drove them, the Steering wheel hit my knees while de-clutching (in the Safari) while the headroom was not satisfactory in the Scorpio :(
Again, when I got back into my WagonR, Phew and Wow - It felt roomy above my head too......!
Those gruesome yet awesome drives between Bangalore and Pune made me realise that WagonR indeed was for Me
I would again agree to your point on the accelerator pedal for which I have modified it a bit to overcome the issue you've mentioned.
I used to get the FE number what you mentioned earlier, just that nowadays I dont rev through the gears or zip but would manage to gain momentum in the 3-4-5th gears rather than the 1st and 2nd. So, thats the reason.
Anyways,now I plan to do some Mod in terms of looks especially....to celebrate its 3rd B'day
Happy driving.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Parag although I would disagree with few things here.
1) The underthigh support is infact poor. It has least generous seats when it comes to the competition.
2) The gearshift is the worst in its segment.
3) It is unstable at highway and very susceptible to cross winds. With 4 people in the car going over undulations on the road (crests and troughs) at 80 kmph was downright scary for me. The rear end had a mind of its own.
4) The electric power steering though good for city is utterly useless on the highway. Its way too light.
All said, its the best city car bar none. I love the luggability of the engine and way it picks up from very low speed in higher gears without a sweat.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

A Wonderful car.
I missed my Waggie badly.
It's with me from Oct 2005 - Nov2008,clocked almost 25000 kms.
gave back very good FE and comfort.
I too done 70% of highway journey to my Native for around 650 kms.
It never got/met punctured/accident a single time.
I sold it to my very close friend only.
Anytime i can take the car for a swing.
I love my WagonR.
Old 24th March 2009, 12:34   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Nice review Parag although I would disagree with few things here.
1) The underthigh support is infact poor. It has least generous seats when it comes to the competition.
2) The gearshift is the worst in its segment.
3) It is unstable at highway and very susceptible to cross winds. With 4 people in the car going over undulations on the road (crests and troughs) at 80 kmph was downright scary for me. The rear end had a mind of its own.
4) The electric power steering though good for city is utterly useless on the highway. Its way too light.
All said, its the best city car bar none. I love the luggability of the engine and way it picks up from very low speed in higher gears without a sweat.
Hey there, thanks for your inputs....
1) The underthigh support is infact poor. It has least generous seats when it comes to the competition. - Somehow, I feel its got better support for taller people like me who dont want their knees to above their thigh levels. For the higher sitting position it offers, the underthighs can easily rest on the seat.
2) The gearshift is the worst in its segment - I have mentioned this point, including the longer throw. But its got better to me now and I gauge this fact while I drive other hardly driven WagonRs. It has never been the best (not even good enough but not bad either)
3) It is unstable at highway and very susceptible to cross winds. With 4 people in the car going over undulations on the road (crests and troughs) at 80 kmph was downright scary for me. The rear end had a mind of its own.-This too has been mentioned, It has to be driven the way it should be. Its an areodynamically unfriendly tallboy. But isnt "Unstable" when I driven within its limits (Curves or unstable roads) and cruised over better stretches since drivers must know their machines after all.
4) The electric power steering though good for city is utterly useless on the highway. Its way too light.- The EPS is too good an option when compared to the Hydraulic one. The "lighter" feeling can be due to various other reasons. Again, though not tough at high speeds the steering doesnt ever disconnect from the rack an any given point in time. This disconnect has been a major problems in many cars. So rather than totally disconnected at high speeds, it better be sensitive and I am sure, it can be handled as well.

With 63000Kms, and the way I've driven it across the Best and Worst roads, It has taken all abuses when compared to many of its near competitors. I am more than satisfied (even when I thought of an upgrade in the last 1 year) for spending so less only on the usual parts mentioned above.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2009, 17:25   #7
BHPian

Nice review there paragsachania. I agree with you fully. My wagon-r clocked 32000km now (24000 in first and just 8000 in second year). Out of this almost 80% is on highways. I never felt it any bad in highways. I have alwasy kept 90-100 kmph on highways. Suspension is good compared to rivals. After my first trip to Nagapatnam from hyderabad, I have changed the headlights to 100/90, bosch horns, and 155 Michelin XM1. The car felt better than before on highways. My most memorable trip was to Munnar, a total of 3000 km in heavy rains and many bad stretches.

Once you get used to the Wagon-R seating position, you do not feel the riding position of other cars to be good. I never felt comfortable driving other cars as much as my Wagon-R. Recently I test drove A-Star and I could not sit in the dirver seat just for 5 min. May be I am more accostomed to Wagon-R seating position.

As others point out, I never felt anything akward with the EPS steering on highways. I have taken some great and breathtaking turns, seriously very close, on vijayawada-hyderabad highway and I have always came out successful and I never felt any lack.

Of course, it is not a car you can cruise at 120 speeds on highways (unless it is 4-lane with straight roads). I felt around 100 is safe and comfortable.

Last edited by ravi@64bhp : 24th March 2009 at 17:30.
ravi@64bhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2009, 15:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

WagonR LXi 63000 Kms - Ownership Review Now 72,000 - Updated

My faithful Wagon-R has now clocked 72,000 Kms on the ODO. Here are my observations and indications which hint towards a replacement of a few parts in the near future:
  • The Stock Clutch is now showing signs of being hard when compared to other. I Somehow feel, I am loosing that momentum while moving from standstill. There is no slippage with high RPMs or Jerks though- Look forward to replace this over the weekend.
  • Front Suspension is now making that thud noise while on bad roads - Will opt for a replacement. I have abused this machine over bad roads and wondered that the shocks have survived such long.
  • Though not irritating, there is a bit of rattling coming from the Dash (A very common issue, I have heard) for which I intend to do the Noise reduction DIY, including all the Damping Doors, Hood, Boot and the Floor. Plan to replace the complete floor carpet as the driver side one has wore out almost showing the floor due to daily use. The driver side Rubber mat itself has a hole now
  • Current ICE Include rear speakers mounted on the boot door and I think they can sound better if placed in a detachable box, since the rear door adds to the resonance at higher volumes. Else, I am not doing justice to the Components and Amp which I upgraded last year. I am OK to compromise on the boot space though. (I Guess a Wagon-R's boot is BIG and practical enough for the size of the car)
  • Second set of tires (replaced at 50,000) still seem to be in good shape to go another 30-40k Kms.
  • As per service manual, I Plan to get the Timing Belt replaced than expect a breakdown.
Rest is all fine, and I Intend to keep this machine as good as new and ensure that I replace parts and service it accordingly.

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th June 2009 at 15:58. Reason: Change the Title
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2009, 16:30   #9
BHPian

Good running in a Wagon. I myself has completed 18k in 1.5 years and 70% highway trip and feel wagonr safe at 100kmph. Taken it for 2400km long drive to my home town.

Services till now other than free services:
1. Gear & Clutch Check up
2. Brake Calipers Greasing (a month back)

20K service is coming. Thinking to change spark plug to Bosch and Air Filter.

Suggestions for 20k service is welcome.
Old 16th June 2009, 16:48   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
20K service is coming. Thinking to change spark plug to Bosch and Air Filter.

Suggestions for 20k service is welcome.
Follow the service manual checklist for 20K Kms, that will suffice.

Engine, Gearbox oils, Coolant and Brake fluids will be changed, tired rotated and aligned+Balanced.

Plugs:-Suggest to go for BOSCH Super Spark plugs since I too have found a difference like many. Especially, at very low speeds and higher gears, the jerky feeling vanished altogether and I can move in 2nd with AC On and 4 adults without a jerk from very slow speeds.
Have tried Denso, but Personally felt BOSCH better over them, at least in my car.

I now change the plugs myself and advise the service center folks to refrain from opening or cleaning/replacing them.

Filter: Are you talking about the stock replacement to a different one like K&N? If so, then my experience says NO as it hasnt really made a big difference to me going with K&N to be honest. I felt its the same with Stocks too as I have changed them during long journeys on the fly and found no difference.

I guess, it would matter for cars with bigger heart and intake capacities.

Tires (After they wear): Can settle for 155/65 R13 (comes as stock on Vxi) and a significant difference in handling abilities.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2009, 17:09   #11
BHPian

Thanks Parag,
I will try Bosch Spark plugs, About air filter i was thinking for stock replacement but as you have mentioned it didnt helped much so K&N airfilter is out. Will replace it with stock.

Regarding tyres, I have Goodyear GPS2 Tubeless tyres (changed from dealer while purchasing) . balancing & alignment is done outside every 5k it costed me 500rs. I used to rotate tyres myself.

Pros: Didnt notice any
Cons: Not much of road grip by them on wet surfaces, Noisy tyres, prone to punctures.

I have 3 punctures till now on tubeless and 2 punctures are on same tyre and it ripped the side wall, this tyre is replaced now.

Last checkup of tyres and around 1.6 mm out 6 mm rubber is used(as told by tyre service guy). It will last around 30k more.
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

72k Service update

My car was back from service on last Friday.

Replaced all shocks & stock clutch set.

Engine decarbonizing, Throttle Body Cleaning, Injector Cleaning done.

Wheel rotation, alignment and balancing done.

Front Brake Caliper adjustment and rear brake drum & shoe cleaned.

Engine, Gearbox Oils, Coolant, Brake Fluid Changed.

There is a considerable amount of difference in the performance, especially the initial pull (New Clucth) and the throttle response (Injectors and throttle body). Even on 5th gear, there is no decelleration as before and a gentle push on the throttle helps gain momentum in higher gears.

With all 4 shocks replaced, somehow I feel the car is higher from the ground ,even if it is a psychological impression for a few days .

But when I take them over namma Bengaluru's insane speed breakers, I can feel the difference.

Later over the weekend:

I purchased a good material (actually for the damping) and ended up using that as an additional layer of carpet over the stock ones. I also came across a good rubber mat (bought 2 meters for experiment) and used that as a dampener over the floor, below the control pedals.

So, removed all the 4 seats, side mouldings and then the carpet. Initially, found it difficult to cut the sheet exactly as the stock carpet but later with proper markings and clips, I was able to match the stock template. No snaps taken as I was too engrossed with the task but I'll surely include them for my door damping job next weekend.

Now, with a three layer padding - Rubber mat(only in the front), Stock Carpet & that new material which I installed over the carpet, It is indeed a great dampener as I only hear the wind and tyre noise, for which I am planning damping all 5 doors next weekend.

Had got my third set of Bosch Super plugs too but never got time to install them.

Will keep you posted.
paragsachania is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2009, 19:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Great going Parag!

Damping - now, that is one thing that I really need to do. Especially a DIY.

The next thing to sort is the audio unit.

Do expect multiple PM's from me asking you couple of shopping directions!
Old 22nd June 2009, 20:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Great going Parag!

Damping - now, that is one thing that I really need to do. Especially a DIY.

The next thing to sort is the audio unit.

Do expect multiple PM's from me asking you couple of shopping directions!
Thanks you !

Any number of PMs for directions are welcome and I will share the Damping experience sometime next week.
Old 30th October 2009, 11:40   #15
BHPian

Need your advice

My wagon R also is going in for a 70k service. After reading your post, yes I also suffer from knocking and jerky pickup with stock spark plugs especially with AC on and at low end torque

Would you recommend that I put bosch? If bosch, then which one? There are bosch ltd, bosch super, bosch super plus and bosch super 4 available. I have heard bad stories about bosch super 4, especially of low mileage. Which one do you have?
Apart from this, what engine oil do you suggest? My car is mod free. This is what I plan to get done. Do you suggest anything more?

1. Engine flushing to be done with ows flush
2. Engine decarb
3. Fuel injector cleaning - do you suggest any brand?
4. Flush radiator
5. Engine oil change to synthetic - shell ultra or 6. castrol magnatec 15w40
7. Change oil filter - Do you suggest any particular filter?
8. Gear oil change - Shell Spirax GX 80W/90 -synthetic
9. AC compresser cleaning
10. Break oil check for leakage - Do you suggest any particular break oil?
11. Front shocks check for struts/bush - How much do front/back shocks cost?
12. Front shocks check for smoothness
13. Car makes krrrrrrrr sound from the engine bay at low end torque when goes in knee deep water - what could be the problem
14. Breaks failed when driven in knee deep water
15. Front break disc pads - check
16. Front break calipers - check for adjustment
17. check if front axle is properly aligned
18. Rear break shoes - makes noise at low speed breaking
19. Change spark plugs - Do you recommend Bosch super plugs and what is its cost?
20. Timing belt - check and replace
21. Throttle body cleaning
22. Check AC compressor belt

Most Viewed