Team-BHP - Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/58088-bolero-storm-first-black-vlx-india-now-new-heart-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1561340)
Exactly my point. Camber is anyways fixed, its the castor which is adjustable. But will get it checked.

Only Toe is adjustable most of the time Castor is also fixed. Camber is adjusted by Shim adjustment as Tanveer responded.

Deformation of some shim plate at highspeed on potholes is always a possibility and that can case alignment issue. IMHO just like air filter we need to put aside theoretical figures in the manual and alignment needs to be checked in 15K service in Indian conditions and 7.5 K for your kind of driving LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 1562812)
Camber in many ladder frame chassis SUVs is adjusted by removing or adding Shims.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1562845)
Only Toe is adjustable most of the time Castor is also fixed. Camber is adjusted by Shim adjustment as Tanveer responded.

Deformation of some shim plate at highspeed on potholes is always a possibility and that can case alignment issue.

On the return from Ladakh, the shims had started coming out due to teh extreme abuse meted to them.
Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1562845)
IMHO just like air filter we need to put aside theoretical figures in the manual and alignment needs to be checked in 15K service in Indian conditions and 7.5 K for your kind of driving LOL.

LOL, I drive slower than a lot of people here in T-BHP:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1562893)
On the return from Ladakh, the shims had started coming out due to teh extreme abuse meted to them.

LOL, I drive slower than a lot of people here in T-BHP:D

I disagree most people here at T-BHP don't go anywhere near to Ladkah and dont ever attempt to cover Hydrabad - Delhi in 2 days on NH7 :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1562075)
MM first many congratulations for clocking the miles like you are doing.

Thanks MC! But :Shockked:, am I the one who's really clocking the miles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1563282)
I disagree most people here at T-BHP don't go anywhere near to Ladkah and dont ever attempt to cover Hydrabad - Delhi in 2 days on NH7 :D

... exactly!!

Regarding the soot issue in my storm, I'm really hoping it's an A.C. issue like you suggest -- I can digest an A.C. malfunction but not a silencer issue within 8 months of purchase. Dammit! And that too without going to Ladakh:Frustrati.

I was out in the morning running some errands and was coming on Road No. 1 Banjara Hills. On a curve, a motorcyclist just swerved and I hit the brake. The brakes locked up and the storm aquaplaned and hit the divider with a thud. The bumper on the right side is a mess. Took it to the workshop and they looked at it and told me that there is a dent in the Chassis :Shockked: and lower arm has also gone.
Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img00012-copy.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img00013-copy.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img00014.jpg

They will need to take off the body to repair the Chassis and Front Suspension and will roughly take 15 days.

Dearie me! 15 days for all the repair, expenses and heartache! Your right front rim and wheel seem to have taken some damage too, all in all a very nasty incident and worse consequences. Take heart Sir, remember, this too shall pass.

Sriku

I had been having continuous problem with the brakes of the Storm and I feel the accident was also due to brake malfunction. Anyways spoke to MM guys and they are getting a brake system team to understand and hopefully one in for all rectify the problem.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Sorry to hear this mate. ABS may have helped in this scenario by preventing wheel lock up. I feel they should offer ABS on the storm as the engine is much more powerful than the DI and the Storm can do much higher speeds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4addict (Post 1574049)
Sorry to hear this mate. ABS may have helped in this scenario by preventing wheel lock up. I feel they should offer ABS on the storm as the engine is much more powerful than the DI and the Storm can do much higher speeds.

The problem with the brakes are that they have developed a mind of their own. Sometimes they are more effective than others and have a tendency to lock up at slow speed. Othertimes they donot stop at all at high speeds. I feel the problem is in either the booster or LSPV. Brake liners were replaced under warranty also during last service but the issue remained unresolved. As a matter of fact the Storm was supposed to go again last weekend for brakes issue.

That is a nasty bump, sometimes I wonder why we go through the bother of trying to save motorcyclists who have no wish to live. Perhaps the fear that we might be booked under the IPC for 'Abetment of suicide' is what leaves us with damage to our cars and huge repair bills.

I agree with 4X4addict, ABS would have helped. In fact all vehicles should have ABS.

Over the years I have noticed that the performance of the brakes depennds on two things - 1. Humidity or water on liners and 2. Temperature of the liners/pads and drums/discs. If there is a lot of water on the braking surfaces, the brakes slip. If there is a little bit of water/humidity the brakes become 'grabby' and the wheels tend to lock up. The brakes are never very effective when cold and become 'grabby' at one point before they work smoothly on reaching their optimum operating temperature. I do not know the science behind it but, I believe that this behaviour has got something to do with the materials used in the liners/pads.

Cheers,

My sympathies MC. I have the same gripe regarding the brakes, MM's diagnosis regarding the problem would be enlightening. Also, a few harmless questions just for my learning: How fast were you travelling at the time? Which gear were you in? (tough one - optional) Roughly how many degrees did the vehicle skid, away from the direction you were planning to send it in?

All Boleros have the same problem, some time it is pretty effective and some times it wont stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 1574259)
The problem with the brakes are that they have developed a mind of their own. Sometimes they are more effective than others and have a tendency to lock up at slow speed. Othertimes they donot stop at all at high speeds. I feel the problem is in either the booster or LSPV. Brake liners were replaced under warranty also during last service but the issue remained unresolved. As a matter of fact the Storm was supposed to go again last weekend for brakes issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudMover (Post 1575100)
My sympathies MC. I have the same gripe regarding the brakes, MM's diagnosis regarding the problem would be enlightening. Also, a few harmless questions just for my learning: How fast were you travelling at the time?

Around 60KMPH not more than that.

Quote:

Which gear were you in? (tough one - optional)

either 3rd or 4th. The moment it started dancing and skiding, I think I pressed the clutch, don't remember though as it happened really fast

Quote:

Roughly how many degrees did the vehicle skid, away from the direction you were planning to send it in?

I tried to maneuver the steering to avoid it hitting the divider so the vehicle did jiggy on both side upto about 30deg from the perpendicular

Even Scorpio brakes are equally bad. I am surprised that the chassis got damaged, that is very unusual.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1577041)
Even Scorpio brakes are equally bad. I am surprised that the chassis got damaged, that is very unusual.

Even I'm quite surprised Chief.

Anyways just came from the workshop. They have made the estimate after second check. Items gone are Right lower and upper arm, Chassis, Steering Knuckle and Motor and Rim. Total estimate along with labour is about 1.1L out of which parts are itself for 70K.

Might sound a bit sadist here but 1.1L for saving a moronic 2 wheeler rider:Frustrati. Dunno whether it was worth it.