Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2009, 17:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

7,400 Km Update

I thought of getting the vehicle prepped for the 8000 Km Ladakh Run so went to the workshop to get it the diesel filter changed (wasn't done at 1st Service) and to get the brakes and body vibrations checked. I'm having a good service experience at Automotive, the staff is very friendly and ready to help. Sometimes they may not know something but are willing to listen and get it done accordingly.

Things done:
  1. Diesel Filter R&R
  2. All body bolts tightened.
  3. Coolant topped up.
  4. 1L Engine Oil bought for top-up if required during the trip.
  5. Hand Brake and Service Brakes checked.
Damage : Rs 1986/-

And all this took exactly 1 Hour as there was less load due to Sunday.

Even though the A.S.S told me not to worry with wheel balancing as there are no vibration, still thought it to be prudent to get it done before the long trip. While at the tyre shop I was in two-minds whether to get the rotation done or not ( Service Schedule charts says every 10k Kms) and checked the tread depth.
Stepney ( Run 50 Kms) - 10.1 MM
Front Wheels ( Both) Avg - 8.6 mm
Rear Wheels ( Both) Avg - 8.00 mm

These figures convinced me to do the wheel rotation immediately to arrest further differential tyre wear.

Also remembered HVK's advice about filling Nitrogen for the trip, so got all tyres refilled with Nitrogen and balanced.
Damage: Rs 500/-

Immediately on the road, I could feel a bit of difference. The Storm had become less bouncy and more planted.
After the service took my Storm for wheel balancing and rotation. Refilled the tyres with Nitrogen, got them balanced and rotated.

So overall a day well spent taking care of the Storm.

Ladakh, here I come!
Old 7th September 2009, 11:04   #107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Ladakh, here I come!
AWESOME!! Have loads of fun and click a minimum of a million pics. We like pics
Old 7th September 2009, 11:11   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
AWESOME!! Have loads of fun and click a minimum of a million pics. We like pics
I'm not a amateur photographer like we have here in the forum but will definitely take pictures worth featuring in Bolero Ad
Old 7th September 2009, 14:52   #109
BHPian

Good luck MC! Hopefully, your trip will establish that this 'dabba' with 'superior technology' is not only an 'expensive toy' but a fairly reliable vehicle. For extra motivation, I'm leaving you with a couple of stickers I've made for my Storm - the first is a patch I plan to wear on my jacket and the second is a sticker which I'll be putting up just next to the CRDE badge on the tailgate of the Storm.

Name:  Storm patch2a.bmp
Views: 4601
Size:  184.9 KB Name:  Storm patch3A.bmp
Views: 4321
Size:  126.6 KB
Old 7th September 2009, 15:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Good luck MC! Hopefully, your trip will establish that this 'dabba' with 'superior technology' is not only an 'expensive toy' but a fairly reliable vehicle. For extra motivation, I'm leaving you with a couple of stickers I've made for my Storm - the first is a patch I plan to wear on my jacket and the second is a sticker which I'll be putting up just next to the CRDE badge on the tailgate of the Storm.

Attachment 186535 Attachment 186536
Thanks MM for the stickers. I have a sticker at the rear bumper stating "Riders on the Storm"
Old 30th September 2009, 15:56   #111
Senior - BHPian

15380 Km Update: Before 3rd Service

The Storm has just come back from the 7804 Kms Ladakh Sojourn and waiting to go for a general check-up this weekend.

Even though nothing major went wrong with the storm in the trip but certain small niggles became irritants.
  1. On the way to Delhi, just after Nagpur, somewhere around 80XX Km mark, the Blower packed up and refusing to run on anything below the highest setting. And along with the A/C also had stopped working. As we were only 50 Kms out of Nagpur, decided to go back to town to the nearest MM dealership who my wife contacted on the phone while I was trying to find my way. Problem was drilled down to a tripped Blower Coil, but since the cause didn't make sense, I forced the dealer guys to do a scan on the elctricals. After much digging around, the problem was finally drilled down to a loose AC Relay. Problem fixed and a new blower coil put under warranty, I was off.
  2. Had a good run till Delhi with me continuously touching 140 KMPH and the storm still delivering a mileage of 12.1x KMPL
  3. From Delhi as the car got superloaded with addition of 2 more people and their luggage, the mileage did drop but the speed didn't drop at all. I was leading the pack of Scorpio's most of the time. Mileage dropped to 10.9X due to increased load and my friend driving the Storm as a petrol sedan.
  4. While coming down from Patni-top to Srinagar, I stopped the car for a picture break and I see smoke coming out from bonnet. Even though I could smell the brakes burning, I could not trace out th esource of the smoke. Few calls later to Mahindra Hamesha and brief discussion with the Mahindra Dealership workshop Manager, we are off on the remaining 140 Km distance to Srinagar. The car was dropped off at Chowdhury Motors in Srinagar and picked up after 2nd service next day morning at 12 Noon.
  5. The storm took the bad roads and the steep climb of Changla with aplomb without disembarking any people. Mileage coutesy 1st gear steep climbs dropped 9.4xKMPL.
  6. After 10,000 Ft the storm was giving black smoke but at last count didn't drink any oil.
  7. Driving through pebbled roads a lot meant that stone hitting the underbody but on checking found that a small cross member on chassis had suffered a bit of dent. Rest everytrhing was spic and span.
  8. On the cosmetic front, the wheel covers feel off while moving on its on after coming down the hills in the plain. Also the fog lights also seem to have stopped working. But apart from that the Storm is still strong and did the the 92 Kms Ahmd - Baroda Expressway in 47 Minutes beating a Ford Endevour, Skoda Laura and giving sleepless nights to a BMW X5.
All in all the Storm showed its impeccable maners on the trip and did surprise a few Scorpio handfs with its power delivery pick-up.
Old 30th September 2009, 16:58   #112
BHPian

Welcome back MC! Happy and proud to know that you and the bolero had a nice trip all-in-all. It's also a relief to know that you didn't experience any of the troubles the Scorps were having. Was it because of the age of those vehicles, you think? I was really looking forward to your post after the trip. I must say I'm becoming quite a fan of your dashing lines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
and did the the 92 Kms Ahmd - Baroda Expressway in 47 Minutes beating a Ford Endevour, Skoda Laura and giving sleepless nights to a BMW X5.
I guess we should be calling you 'Stormin Basu'. Hope you'll post more stories/snaps of the trip here or on any of the other threads.
Old 30th September 2009, 18:03   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome back MC! Happy and proud to know that you and the bolero had a nice trip all-in-all. It's also a relief to know that you didn't experience any of the troubles the Scorps were having. Was it because of the age of those vehicles, you think? I was really looking forward to your post after the trip. I must say I'm becoming quite a fan of your dashing lines...
Thanks Mate!!! My wife is a bigger fan of the Bolero than me and was really thrilled with the way Storm behaved in the trip. Even though I'm very impressed with the way the Storm behaved, the small niggles like brake locking, wheel covers falling off, hub caps leaking grease leave a bad taste. M&M needs to improve the overall quality. Also except HVK'S Scorp breaking its leaf ( remember this is 4 yr and 2.2 Lac Km Old vehicle) and Glenn's Scorp ( 52 K and 2 Yrs) having problem with the throttle sensor, all the cars behaved beautifully .But one thing that has me mightily impressed is the Mahindra Customer Service at the Dealership Level. May be the coporate guys should take cues from them.

Quote:
I guess we should be calling you 'Stormin Basu'. Hope you'll post more stories/snaps of the trip here or on any of the other threads.
The resulting storming produced mileage of about 9.xxKMPL for that run as my speedo was hovering between 120-145KMPH.

Travelogue along with amazing pictures and videos will come up over this extended weekend.

P.s: Just thought will post this. Till now the Storm/Me has visited dealerships in Hyd, Madikeri, Nagpur, Bellary, Srinagar, Mandi and Udaipur. As per my wife with our travelling styles, in 2-3 years we would have visited all the major MM dealerships across India
Old 1st October 2009, 14:26   #114
Senior - BHPian

Few Pics of the Bolero taken during various stages of Ladakh TripBolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1078.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1079.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1080.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1083.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1123.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1211.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1347.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1701.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1348.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1439.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-p9160246.jpg

Owner of the Bolero
Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-p9170007.jpg
Driver of the Bolero
Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-p9170008.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_1726.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-p9210400.jpg

Bolero Storm: First Black VLX in India-Now with a new Heart-img_2089.jpg
Old 1st October 2009, 14:33   #115
Senior - BHPian

A small video of the Storm crossing the Pagal Nullah

Old 1st October 2009, 16:59   #116
BHPian

Ahhh... Superb! The last snap is my favourite. The bolero looks so unfazed even in those foreboding landscapes -- like a tiger in it's natural habitat. The snaps of the Storm pulling out the Pajero were impressive too. Only, I feel you guys were overly sportive with the Pajero guy. I mean, I heard that he was never moving along with the convoy and was always 'flying away'. So, I think when he got stuck you guys should also have 'flown away' leaving him in his hole. That should've taught him about team work. Well, next time you go to leh and if that Pajero guy is still around, you should have a sticker on your Bolero saying "Bolero -- Pajero ka bhi BAAP!".

Last edited by MudMover : 1st October 2009 at 17:01.
Old 7th October 2009, 19:52   #117
Senior - BHPian

I gave the Storm for 3rd service today and also notified the brake and suspension related issues. I had also escaleted the problems in my car to the Regional service Manager, so is taking a personal interest in my car. Anyways the ASC told me that they will fix everything and give the car back after 3-4 days.

And now comes the whopper. The RSM told me that since the car will 3-4 days he will get an alternate car to use till that time.

So I now have a Scorpio SLX to run around town till my Storm comes back.

I'm really impressed with MM customer service and never ceases to amaze me. May be lesson for others to learn the tricks of the trade.
Old 9th October 2009, 20:09   #118
BHPian

Where is the picture of the bolero tuging the Pajero
Old 9th October 2009, 20:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.das View Post
Where is the picture of the bolero tuging the Pajero
The entire episode can be accessed here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...on-2009-a.html
Old 10th October 2009, 12:47   #120
Senior - BHPian

48 hours with a Scorpio

As I had earlier reported that the ASC gave me a Scorpio to use while my Storm was undergoing a major general check-up.

Positive of the Scorpio over Bolero
  1. Better gadgetry
  2. Too many add-ons like follow me home lights etal.
  3. No vibration felt in the cabin unlike Bolero
  4. Absence of bumpy ride on smooth roads
  5. Smaller Turning Radius compared to the Bolero.
  6. Quality of stalks and other control panel items are much better than the Bolero.
Things that I didn't like in the Scorpio
  1. I'm a relatively short guy (only 5'6") and the driving position was very cramped for me compared the Bolero.
  2. Pick-up of my Bolero is better than the 2.6 CRDe that I was driving
  3. Because of compact size easier to maneuver in the city compared to the Scorpio.
  4. All around visibility I felt was better in the Bolero compared to Scorpio especially the Blindspot caused by A Pillar is absent in the Bolero.
Even though I had TD the Scorpio before settling on the Bolero, but driving it around for 48 hours in city ratified my decision to go for the Bolero.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks