Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 02:22   #106
AVR
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
So there was this whistling sound that had been continuing for a while and got louder by the day.
For the last week, thanks to the above problem aggravating, I don't reach anywhere but I make a loud entry that can be heard from a mile away

Well, finally traced it to the flexible joint that joins the exhaust pipe to the engine. It is flexible to allow for some level of movement. Need to get it repaired.
What was actually seeming to be the problem was not! The whistling sound comes from this leak but the loud sound was primarily from a couple of bolts that came off loose from the exhaust manifold. This resulted in serious drop in power. 15-min job to get them tightened and its been great to be back to full efficiency. Don't quite understand why there should be such a serious loss in power thanks to a loose exhaust manifold. Ideas anyone??

Thanks to the 2-T oil addition over the past 8-10 months, the engine has been devoid of any vibrations. Have done a couple of 400+ km day trips in the peak summer and absolutely no issues so far! Of course electrical niggles have stopped seeming like issues once you own a Safari for too long . Part of life I guess!

Off-late due to a lot of Mt Abu trips and probably shelf-life also, I notice that there's slight issue with the clutch: 1) When I release it even gently, the car moves with a thud/jerk and 2) Do notice a drop in clutch performance after some extended bumper-bumper traffic driving.

Is (1) related to clutch cable setting? Is (2) hinting at a clutch plate change. Clutch plate is still factory-fitted. Safari is at about 128K as of today.
Old 18th June 2011, 22:02   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Off-late due to a lot of Mt Abu trips and probably shelf-life also, I notice that there's slight issue with the clutch: 1) When I release it even gently, the car moves with a thud/jerk and 2) Do notice a drop in clutch performance after some extended bumper-bumper traffic driving.

Is (1) related to clutch cable setting? Is (2) hinting at a clutch plate change. Clutch plate is still factory-fitted. Safari is at about 128K as of today.
Happens with my Safari too, I simply have ignored it till now, don;t know the cause but no problems of any kind due to it.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:34   #108
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Happens with my Safari too, I simply have ignored it till now, don;t know the cause but no problems of any kind due to it.
Quote:
Off-late due to a lot of Mt Abu trips and probably shelf-life also, I notice that there's slight issue with the clutch: 1) When I release it even gently, the car moves with a thud/jerk
This thud/jerk during clutch release was because of a damaged cross-joint between the differential and the prop shaft. It was also causing major vibrations whenever I crossed 100 and then slowed down. Cross joint changed @480 Rs + labor

Changed the rear suspension bushing set as it had never been done in the 128K kms. Ride has less thuds now on bad roads. Cost - 2500 Rs + labor

Thanks to the new cross joint, transmission vibrations have disappeared and no vibrations at any speeds.

Oh and for the proverbial Tata niggle everytime I update this thread: Everytime I switch on the AC and switch it off along with the engine and step out I hear the condenser fan running. Now I lock the car, pull the bonnet lever and open the bonnet and tap the fuse box (like we do to our TVs when they don't work) and voila the fan stops. Some people who have noticed me doing this multiple times find it hilarious

I think there's a better solution that I need to find. In the meanwhile, thanks to the Merlin getting delayed, this remains the primary car for longer and seems that it will do a good job till then!
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 00:00   #109
AVR
BHPian

Car's running hassle free and just a few updates:

1) AC conked off again, some coil issue. All sorted post service. Cost - 2.5K
2) Power windows go up and down on their own once exposed to some rain.

Rest, life is good and the Safari's crossed 130K now. Engine is smooth as ever. Have been using HP Racer 2T oil with normal HP Diesel and its working out very well for the engine in terms of smoothness and refinement.

Took the Safari offroading on the rocks recently. Went quite far on the river bed and lost a step board to the rocks. Was expected I guess. Here's the video:

Did a solo Mt. Abu - Ahmedabad drive recently and here are some pics:
Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-dscf0005.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-dscf0015.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-dscf0029.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-dscf0030.jpg

Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 13:05   #110
AVR
BHPian

Last week, A fellow bhpian asked me for under-body pics of the 4wd Safari. Fortunately or unfortunately, the Safari had to go for some fuel pump leakage issue in the garage and so it was a good time to take all these pics.
Posting them here for everyone's benefit.

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02805.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02808.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02810.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02812.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02813.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02814.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02816.jpg

Tata Safari 2004 TCIC EX 4x4 125,000 KM Ownership Review-_24_30dsc02818.jpg

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Adi
AVR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 18:00   #111
BHPian

Your underchassis is well kept with no sign of corrosion. Not bad for a 8 year old car. I am one of those who sold their TCIC Safari and gone in for a Dicor.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 19:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

That's nice to know that you're living happy life with your Safari. Although I purchased the 3.0L Dicor but I am seriously missing the TCIC now. It was so reliable and niggle free although the 3.0L too has no problems.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 20:09   #113
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Your underchassis is well kept with no sign of corrosion. Not bad for a 8 year old car. I am one of those who sold their TCIC Safari and gone in for a Dicor.
Thanks Prowler. Ahmedabad is good weather to have a car. Hot and dry. Not much fun to move around in the day though!

Quote:
That's nice to know that you're living happy life with your Safari. Although I purchased the 3.0L Dicor but I am seriously missing the TCIC now. It was so reliable and niggle free although the 3.0L too has no problems.
Thanks Abhishek. Have been wanting to move to the 2.2 but two things stop me:
1) There's nothing really wrong with the TCIC at 137,000 KMs apart from the rattles. Smooth, vibration free engine, AC works, 4wd works (almost always) and has never broken down on the road.
2) First had planned to move to the 2.2 Dicor but since last 1.5 years been waiting to see the improvements they claim in the Storme and move to that one. Alas, TML doesn't seem to be in a hurry to launch it.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 13:25   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Ahmedabad is good weather to have a car. Hot and dry. Not much fun to move around in the day though!

Where I live - the coastal Madras - cars develop corrosion within a few years. Here it is hot and humid whether it is day or night.

BTW, it is a good byline of yours - " Speak only when words outperform silence" in Latin. You must be erudite.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2012, 14:45   #115
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Where I live - the coastal Madras - cars develop corrosion within a few years. Here it is hot and humid whether it is day or night.

BTW, it is a good byline of yours - " Speak only when words outperform silence" in Latin. You must be erudite.
Yes was in Chennai once for a couple of days and the weather was bad! Hot and humid is definitely a bad combination!

Not sure about the erudite but I like reading. Found the quote in a book by Nicholas Taleb - Fooled by Randomness. Awesome book. Check it out!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 27th June 2012, 14:35   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Yes was in Chennai once for a couple of days and the weather was bad! Hot and humid is definitely a bad combination!

Not sure about the erudite but I like reading. Found the quote in a book by Nicholas Taleb - Fooled by Randomness. Awesome book. Check it out!

Cheers,
Adi
Sure. I came across the Taleb's book in a library but avoided it as I thought it would be beyond me. Sorry about the OT.
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:00   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ves with a thud/jerk and 2) Do notice a drop in clutch performance after some extended bumper-bumper traffic driving.

This might be the pressure plate issue, The clutch plate under good drivers legs last easily for 1.5-2L kms. In my TCIC it lasted for more than 1.5L kms and still going.

Is this car GJ registered? I am in search of a good TCIC again I am not enjoying the DICOR as much as TCIC. Also searching for a Indigo Marina. Do let me know if you have any plans of selling.

Have you got the 4x4 inspected? It seems that the transfercase is leaking oil.
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:41   #118
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
This might be the pressure plate issue, The clutch plate under good drivers legs last easily for 1.5-2L kms. In my TCIC it lasted for more than 1.5L kms and still going.

Is this car GJ registered? I am in search of a good TCIC again I am not enjoying the DICOR as much as TCIC. Also searching for a Indigo Marina. Do let me know if you have any plans of selling.

Have you got the 4x4 inspected? It seems that the transfercase is leaking oil.
Abhishek,

1) That wasn't a clutch plate issue after all. It was an issue with a loose exhaust manifold and the cross-joint between the diff and prop-shaft.
2) Its GJ-1 (Ahmedabad)
3) The 4x4 works fine now. Had that sorted few months back.

Now its running hassle free. Yes, I might think about letting it go. Let's take that conversation to pm.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:43   #119
AVR
BHPian

The Safari is still chugging along. Currently at 149,000 on the odo. No breakdowns on the road yet.

- I'd planned to replace it last year but then ended up selling the Scorpio instead and bought a Honda City S-MT for the city and short highway runs. Hung on to the Safari as my daily-drive as I (and the family) prefer the ride to the Scorpio.
- Did a 1200 km holiday in Sep'13 with 4 adults + 1 infant plus loads of luggage to Rajasthan. Performed flawlessly in the hot weather doing 95-100 constantly with full AC and kid sleeping peacefully on not-so-great roads.

Summarizing the last year or so:
- The AC Condensor Coil was changed - ~8K
- Front Suspension overhaul in terms of all rubber parts @ 140K
- Clutch still going strong
- AC guy did something so the coolant ended up leaking from the heating coil pipeline and hence had to refill the coolant
- Rattles like always
- Engine/drivetrain is smooth as ever and no knocking at lower speeds too
- Geolandars have run 60k and should last the next 15-20k. One tyre needed a valve change. No issues otherwise.

Family says buy something new this year but also keep the Safari for sentimental value. Not sure how I'll manage to do that.
Used Fortuners or maybe the upcoming Scorpio. Don't plan to spend more than 12 Lakhs though. Time will tell...

Cheers,
Adi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks