Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 00:26   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
The sedimenter is typically before fuel enters the engine. Not sure how the SC guy can't distinguish the cat con (post combustion) from the sedimenter.

How old is your car? Did cars of that year have a cat con to begin with?
Mine is 2004 TCIC LX. BTW, the part that is present in the silencer bay is like a TANK(cannot find proper words). it can be removed by untightening the bolts. Is it the cat-con.

Can you tell me what a sedimenter does??
Old 1st April 2010, 05:36   #77
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Mine is 2004 TCIC LX. BTW, the part that is present in the silencer bay is like a TANK(cannot find proper words). it can be removed by untightening the bolts. Is it the cat-con.

Can you tell me what a sedimenter does??
Yes what looks like a small cylindrical tank is the cat con. Once you remove it you'll be able to see through it like a pipe and there will be a blackened mesh inside. That's what you need to break.

A sedimenter is typically used before fuel enters the engine to filter it off elements like dirt/water etc which are commonly found in diesel today.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:00   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes what looks like a small cylindrical tank is the cat con. Once you remove it you'll be able to see through it like a pipe and there will be a blackened mesh inside. That's what you need to break.

A sedimenter is typically used before fuel enters the engine to filter it off elements like dirt/water etc which are commonly found in diesel today.

Thank you very much, for the information.
Now, Can you please tell me how to remove that mesh from inside of the CYLINDRICAL TANK or how did you got the job done?? Please.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:45   #79
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Not at all an issue bro!
so this container can be removed from both ends by removing the nuts. Once you've done that there will be a mesh in the center that would in all likelihood look black as it would have been clogged by the carbon from the exhaust gases. First try brushing off most of it using a hard paint brush or something or hitting it against a wall so that the powder falls off. Next take a big rod that could go right through the assembly and force/hammer it through the mesh. This will also release a lot of the hard black deposits and will result in a more free-flowing exhaust. Given that your Safari has done a good amount of mileage this should be fairly clogged. Give it a good shake to clean up as much as possible. Then fit it back where it came from.

One way of gauging the impact is to do the following:

Before removal with car in idle (~800 rpm) put the car in 1st and then in 2nd without stepping on the gas. The clogged mesh would result in significant back pressure ensuring that the car may not move as the engine power at idle is being used up to push the exhaust gases out and may not get the car moving.

Next, after removal, you'll notice that the car easily moves in 1st and 2nd gear without stepping on the gas.

If this difference is very apparent to you then you know for sure that you've broken the right thing .
Jokes apart, you could try the above with the A/C on too and you'll see the difference. I sure did!

Cheers,
Adi
+919825738056
Refer my earlier post quoted here!
Good luck
Old 4th April 2010, 15:06   #80
Senior - BHPian

Previous problem solved!! But, it gave birth to a new problem:

"After overhaul of AC compressor, Now, The AC is tripping very quickly, i mean to say that it is automatically switch off at times and again auto. ON."
SC guys are not able to catch the problem. Can you tell me what's the problem??
Old 4th April 2010, 17:15   #81
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Previous problem solved!! But, it gave birth to a new problem:

"After overhaul of AC compressor, Now, The AC is tripping very quickly, i mean to say that it is automatically switch off at times and again auto. ON."
SC guys are not able to catch the problem. Can you tell me what's the problem??
Well well, in this summer heat, the last thing you want to harass you is the AC. Honestly, don't understand AC stuff at all! Have you checked with a different SC?
Old 4th April 2010, 18:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well well, in this summer heat, the last thing you want to harass you is the AC. Honestly, don't understand AC stuff at all! Have you checked with a different SC?
Sorry my mistake!!

I men to say that
"Assume that I switch ON the AC, Now, after sometime the AC starts the game of 'ON & OFF', irrespective of the fact that the AC button is still in ON position."
Did you got that??
Old 8th April 2010, 00:41   #83
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry my mistake!!

I men to say that
"Assume that I switch ON the AC, Now, after sometime the AC starts the game of 'ON & OFF', irrespective of the fact that the AC button is still in ON position."
Did you got that??
Hey!
Couldn't reply earlier! Have you been able to sort out this issue yet? Also, do post a travelogue once you are done with your Kumbh trip! How long is the trip?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 10th April 2010, 01:48   #84
AVR
BHPian

The small joys of life!

While going through a semi constructed service road today, it suddenly occurred to me that I haven't use my 4wd Safari in a while. So, while hoping that the famous Tata electricals haven't gone kaput I put it into 4H, took the mud pit head on, then put it into 4L, did some more in reverse. Put it back into 2H, and went about my way!

Few things:
1) The lovely lady sitting next to me found it rather odd in the same way a passer by would think of a crazy guy trying to first get into a pit and then get out of it. Just for kicks. She knows how much I talk to her abt 4wd, wanting to go for an OTR, my ongoing jeep 4wd conversion, etc so she thinks am going bonkers!
2) I know when I post this on T-bhp, there will be more than a few out there who'll read it and say "Yes I did that too!"

Cheers,
Adi
Old 12th April 2010, 13:58   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey!
Couldn't reply earlier! Have you been able to sort out this issue yet? Also, do post a travelogue once you are done with your Kumbh trip! How long is the trip?

Cheers,
Adi
I just came from the trip and fortunately the AC was working fine, It was after i took it to SC guys and they drained and refilled the AC gas, saying that sometimes increased gas pressure also causes AC tripping. But, still i would say that the cooling was not sufficient with Rear AC ON. Everytime it took atleast 1 hour for AC to cool the whole cabin and that too not effectively, will Kick those SC guys tommorow when i will go there.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:19   #86
AVR
BHPian

Headlight beam Query

Guys,

Some updates on the car!

Had the car serviced at 110,000 Kms
1) Had a slight issue with the gear change so converted from the old shift mechanism where the reverse was at the extreme top left to a similar one like the new one where the reverse is in the bottom right. Also, Leaking gear seal changed as the gear oil had been leaking at a fairly fast pace.
2) Got engine oil changed after almost 17-18K kms this time. Again used Mobil Delvac MX.
3) Continued niggles with the electricals sorted - The pencil beam in the headlights wasn't working. Now got new bulbs fitted but the electrician is saying it only works in high beam though I feel it should work in both high and low beam. @ACM, Mercedised anyone knows if this correct?

Cheers,
Adi

@MODS - Can you please update the thread title from 90,000 to 110,000. Thanks
Old 27th April 2010, 21:54   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Some updates on the car!

Had the car serviced at 110,000 Kms
1) Had a slight issue with the gear change so converted from the old shift mechanism where the reverse was at the extreme top left to a similar one like the new one where the reverse is in the bottom right. Also, Leaking gear seal changed as the gear oil had been leaking at a fairly fast pace.
2) Got engine oil changed after almost 17-18K kms this time. Again used Mobil Delvac MX.
3) Continued niggles with the electricals sorted - The pencil beam in the headlights wasn't working. Now got new bulbs fitted but the electrician is saying it only works in high beam though I feel it should work in both high and low beam. @ACM, Mercedised anyone knows if this correct?

Cheers,
Adi

@MODS - Can you please update the thread title from 90,000 to 110,000. Thanks
1) I think that you have a 2004 model, and that already comes with a new mechanism(of reverse at bottom right).???? I did'nt understand Why your car has old shift mechanism?? BTW what was the cost??

2) That is Tad high interval. I change at every 7500kms max.

3)Pencil beam lights only works at high beam. Actually, they provide a very long throw that's the reason that they are used only for high beams.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:01   #88
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
1) I think that you have a 2004 model, and that already comes with a new mechanism(of reverse at bottom right).???? I did'nt understand Why your car has old shift mechanism?? BTW what was the cost??

2) That is Tad high interval. I change at every 7500kms max.

3)Pencil beam lights only works at high beam. Actually, they provide a very long throw that's the reason that they are used only for high beams.
1) Typically 2004 models did come with the bottom right but I guess being a 4x4 it could be from an earlier batch. It cost me 6500 and it included the new gear seals and along with that the shafts had to be changed for the change in shift mechanism. The shifting had really gone bad!
2) I know but this car was helping my sister move homes and it was doing daily mount abu trips loaded with luggage etc so waited till it was done to get it serviced.
3) Thanks about the beam. I realised that they really add value. Apparently there were no bulbs in the pencil beam sockets since I bought them and I never noticed
Old 27th April 2010, 22:07   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) Typically 2004 models did come with the bottom right but I guess being a 4x4 it could be from an earlier batch. It cost me 6500 and it included the new gear seals and along with that the shafts had to be changed for the change in shift mechanism. The shifting had really gone bad!
3) Thanks about the beam. I realised that they really add value. Apparently there were no bulbs in the pencil beam sockets since I bought them and I never noticed
1) So, that included whole Gear box change. Did you got it 2nd hand.. In replacement of the bad gearbox???

3) Whoa? you never realised about them?? It's unbearable.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th April 2010 at 03:25. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
Old 27th April 2010, 22:23   #90
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
1) So, that included whole Gear box change. Did you got it 2nd hand.. In replacement of the bad gearbox???

3) Whoa? you never realised about them?? It's unbearable.
No. Not the whole gearbox. There are three shafts inside the gearbox that need to be changed for changing the mechanism. The cost included a complete overhaul while the gearbox was opened up along with new seals, etc.

Always thought the lights weren't good enough.

Last edited by aah78 : 28th April 2010 at 03:26. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks