Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 15:25   #61
AVR
BHPian

6-figure mark crossed in style!

An update Guys,

Finally crossed the six figure mark with a trip to Sirohi and Udaipur (~1000 kms in 2 days). Family of 6 and a half, luggage, lovely roads and non-stop 120 (took its toll on the average though 8.5-9 kmpl!)

At this milestone I believe the Safari has just been amazing in terms of engine and ride and it totally disproves all the theories created by the disbelievers of Tata vehicles in general and the Safari in particular.

Off late I've been using Fuel additives from Wynn's which have been really good and are a good option.

Now the bad parts!
A good car wash seems to have put the 4x4 out of service again. After riding in a friend's 540 I would prefer the levers anyday!

Well said ritedhawan, The feeling is awesome and I hope your brother gets his hands on one someday soon!

Cheers,
Adi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
My younger brother swears by TATA safari, he too, like others here think there is no better SUV than a TATA safari. AS a matter of fact, he persuaded 4 of his friends to buy TATA safari. Each one them bought it on my younger brothers recommendation. One of his oldest friend bought the 1.8L Safari more than 10 yrs ago, another bought the 3.0L version of safari, the other 2 bought the 2.2 L version of safari. The irronic thing, is that my father wont buy this SUV for my brother. Not that my father doesnt listen to my brothers advice when buying vehicles--Father doesnt think much of my opinion, but he values my younger brothers opinion-- but the moment my brother raises the need for an SUV, the very next moment my father urges him to drop the idea of a SUV!.
Sometimes, when one of those 4 friends who bought the Safari on my younger brothers recommendation , come to meet my younger brother, they allow him to drive thier Safari. Thats when my brother Need for Safari! is satiated.

Last edited by AVR : 26th January 2010 at 15:26. Reason: typo
Old 29th January 2010, 10:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Please anyone tell me where is the Cat-con. located in TCIC safari.
I went to the mechanic and he told that cat-con in this safari is located on the mouth of silencer which is connected directly with engine.
Also tell on how to remove that. and cost for it.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:39   #63
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Please anyone tell me where is the Cat-con. located in TCIC safari.
I went to the mechanic and he told that cat-con in this safari is located on the mouth of silencer which is connected directly with engine.
Also tell on how to remove that. and cost for it.
It is located somewhere right in the middle and the part can be removed without too much hassle. It needs to be disconnected from both sides - one facing the engine side and one facing the exhaust pipe.
The cost? well it took twenty odd mins for removing and breaking it through with an iron rod . Won't add up to much!!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 29th January 2010, 12:51   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
It is located somewhere right in the middle and the part can be removed without too much hassle. It needs to be disconnected from both sides - one facing the engine side and one facing the exhaust pipe.
The cost? well it took twenty odd mins for removing and breaking it through with an iron rod . Won't add up to much!!

Cheers,
Adi
I still didnot understand where "middle???"

Is it below the car or near the engine??

Can you post some pictures about its location Please?
Old 29th January 2010, 14:24   #65
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
I still didnot understand where "middle???"

Is it below the car or near the engine??

Can you post some pictures about its location Please?

Its right under the front seat below the car...the part is removable from both ends. Try looking for it.
Old 29th January 2010, 18:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its right under the front seat below the car...the part is removable from both ends. Try looking for it.

I just had a look beneath the car, there is a small container(round) like metal thing, which is fitted by nut-bolts and looks like openable by removing the nuts.

Did i got it or not????

Plz tell me the whole procedure from removing to refitting so that i can guide those stupid mechanics?

Sorry for inconvienence.
Old 30th January 2010, 02:31   #67
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
I just had a look beneath the car, there is a small container(round) like metal thing, which is fitted by nut-bolts and looks like openable by removing the nuts.

Did i got it or not????

Plz tell me the whole procedure from removing to refitting so that i can guide those stupid mechanics?

Sorry for inconvienence.
Not at all an issue bro!
so this container can be removed from both ends by removing the nuts. Once you've done that there will be a mesh in the center that would in all likelihood look black as it would have been clogged by the carbon from the exhaust gases. First try brushing off most of it using a hard paint brush or something or hitting it against a wall so that the powder falls off. Next take a big rod that could go right through the assembly and force/hammer it through the mesh. This will also release a lot of the hard black deposits and will result in a more free-flowing exhaust. Given that your Safari has done a good amount of mileage this should be fairly clogged. Give it a good shake to clean up as much as possible. Then fit it back where it came from.

One way of gauging the impact is to do the following:

Before removal with car in idle (~800 rpm) put the car in 1st and then in 2nd without stepping on the gas. The clogged mesh would result in significant back pressure ensuring that the car may not move as the engine power at idle is being used up to push the exhaust gases out and may not get the car moving.

Next, after removal, you'll notice that the car easily moves in 1st and 2nd gear without stepping on the gas.

If this difference is very apparent to you then you know for sure that you've broken the right thing .
Jokes apart, you could try the above with the A/C on too and you'll see the difference. I sure did!

Cheers,
Adi
+919825738056

Last edited by AVR : 30th January 2010 at 02:32. Reason: added text
Old 28th March 2010, 20:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

My car is making TAK-TAk sound from engine?? the problem has arised from past 500kms.
It's a noise like, some wire is touching the fan, Though it is not the case only for understanding.??

HELP!!!!
Old 28th March 2010, 21:27   #69
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
My car is making TAK-TAk sound from engine?? the problem has arised from past 500kms.
It's a noise like, some wire is touching the fan, Though it is not the case only for understanding.??

HELP!!!!
Few things you could check:
1) Does it happen only in idle?
2) Does it happen at high revs?
3) Does it happen while car is stationary? Or when its moving?

That would help narrowing down options!

Possible thing could be:
- Either a pulley is slightly loose and so the engine running causes some collision

Cheers,
Adi
Old 28th March 2010, 21:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few things you could check:
1) Does it happen only in idle?
2) Does it happen at high revs?
3) Does it happen while car is stationary? Or when its moving?

That would help narrowing down options!

Possible thing could be:
- Either a pulley is slightly loose and so the engine running causes some collision

Cheers,
Adi
Yes, that happens at IDLE. and not audible when running in gears.
Old 29th March 2010, 00:39   #71
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that happens at IDLE. and not audible when running in gears.
Then it could just be a slightly loose pulley connected to the timing belt...I think I have that problem too but it shouldn't be anything serious. You could try increasing your idling speed and see if that solves the problem. Of course these are all theories

Cheers,
Adi
Old 29th March 2010, 21:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then it could just be a slightly loose pulley connected to the timing belt...I think I have that problem too but it shouldn't be anything serious. You could try increasing your idling speed and see if that solves the problem. Of course these are all theories

Cheers,
Adi
I visited SC today for Servicing of my car. The TAK-Tak sound was from AC compressor, It is JAMMED. They took out the compressor and i took the car to home. The estimate of servicing was 3000rs including Engine oil, Diesel filter, Oil filter and general checkup.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hey AVR,
You told me that the catalytic convertor lies below the front seat. I found it ans asked the SC guys to clean it, but they said that it is SEDIMENTER and not catalytic conv. Now, I am confused abotu further continuing of its removal?? pla help...

I got the AC compressor repaired and the quoted amount was 1500rs including labour and taxes.
Old 31st March 2010, 15:28   #74
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Hey AVR,
You told me that the catalytic convertor lies below the front seat. I found it ans asked the SC guys to clean it, but they said that it is SEDIMENTER and not catalytic conv. Now, I am confused abotu further continuing of its removal?? pla help...

I got the AC compressor repaired and the quoted amount was 1500rs including labour and taxes.
The sedimenter is typically before fuel enters the engine. Not sure how the SC guy can't distinguish the cat con (post combustion) from the sedimenter.

How old is your car? Did cars of that year have a cat con to begin with?
Old 31st March 2010, 15:45   #75
BHPian

Your beast offroader is good. Congrats! Its a great SUV.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks