Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:32   #451
BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

well the reason i ask is because Abhishek from Kiirus had mentioned me to do the same as my car is suffering from excess smoking after the kiirus remap, initially i thought it was it was the piper cross airfilter & the engine oil, replaced the air filter with a Bosch 1, and changed the engine oil to Shell Remula 4, put he problem still persists although not as much as before.

Could it be signs of Turbo failure, what measure should i take as the car is still under warranty for another two months.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:49   #452
Senior - BHPian

Re: Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblood View Post
well the reason i ask is because Abhishek from Kiirus had mentioned me to do the same as my car is suffering from excess smoking after the kiirus remap, initially i thought it was it was the piper cross airfilter & the engine oil, replaced the air filter with a Bosch 1, and changed the engine oil to Shell Remula 4, put he problem still persists although not as much as before.
How many kms have you done ?
Quote:
Could it be signs of Turbo failure, what measure should i take as the car is still under warranty for another two months.
Warranty after remap ?

Last edited by kpzen : 23rd April 2011 at 23:07.
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:09   #453
Senior - BHPian

Got the call by 5:30 PM, and headed to the service center with the precious Mobil Delvac 1 can. The check-list:
  • Change fuel filter cartridge - Done
  • Replace Engine Coolant (as suggested by the user manual) - Done
  • Replace Brake & Clutch Fluid (as suggested by the user manual) - Topped up
  • Check clutch play and bleed it (depends on the previous item too) - Done
  • Replace engine oil filter, I will bring in the oil when I come to collect the car - Done
  • Check the mild squeaking sound that comes from the steering when the car is cold - Done, but can't confirm until tomorrow morning
  • Check the screeching noise I get from the front right brakes when the car is cold - Done, but can't confirm until tomorrow morning
  • Check the dashboard, door and panel rattling - Done
  • Realign the rear bumper - Done, but needs a lathe work later.
  • Fix the lower lip of the front bumper (scrapped it, and managed to dislodge the left side) - Temporarily fixed, need the nips to hold it in place. Will arrive in a few days.
  • Inter-cooler and EGR Cleaning - I was told EGR was not required so early, maybe at 60k. Inter-cooler was apparently cleaned, but I don't see a separate charge for it - said to be covered in PMS?!
What else?
  • Transmission oil - Changed. This is not really something I wanted, but I did ask about the 30k change interval mentioned in the service chart
  • AC Blower Motor cleaning - Though the AC was fine, I did hear a mild burrr sound in addition to the fan's sound (The AC filter was washed clean a month or so back).
The cost break-up:
  • Transmission oil - 2.5 liter - 527.75
  • Coolant - 2 Liter - 426.60
  • Filter Cartridge - 1275.46
  • Oil Filter - 334.02
  • AC Blower cleaning - 110
  • Periodic Maintenance Service - 770
Total - Rs. 3855 (Including 12.5% VAT on parts and 10% Service tax on labour).

The Verdict:
I drove the car from the Service Center to my regular fuel station, topped up (Low fuel warning came on just when I was about to enter the station!) in bumper to bumper traffic. I too got the usual low noise, feels smooth, responsive feeling, but I do not know yet if its placebo or not until I drive it like it deserves to be - on the highway. The clutch feels better though, but the 3rd gear @2k RPM is still 50 KMPH.

There were no charges for the brake / clutch fluid, and bleeding was said to be covered in the PMS - not sure what was done and what was not. I had disconnected the fresh-air / recirculation cable, setting it permanently in recirculation - this was connected back.

One other thing - the mileage has steadily dropped, and has come to 12.9 KMPL for the last tank-up . Took the car to the garage, promptly disconnected the fresh air / recirculation cable behind the glove box, and tied the control lever in closed position. Have disconnected the battery terminals - will leave them disconnected overnight. Will clean my K&N and let it soak in tonight before taking the car out.

Let me drive around for a few 100 KMS before I comment on the new tires, and the new oil. Also, the mystery of 90 @ 2000 RPM in 5th vs. 100 @ 2000 RPM in 5th remains.

Mileage:
The car has consumed 727.50 Liters of Diesel for the last 9900 KM, at an average of 13.61 KMPL. Cost per KM works to 3.02 bucks.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 23rd April 2011 at 23:13.
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:53   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
How many kms have you done ?

As of two just over 40K about 10K after remap.

Warranty after remap ?
my car will complete 2 yrs somewhere in july, so incase it is premature turbo failure i want to get it check before the warranty lapses, according to kiirus the remap is undetectable by the scanners
Old 24th April 2011, 12:18   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
What else?
  • Transmission oil - Changed. This is not really something I wanted, but I did ask about the 30k change interval mentioned in the service chart
  • AC Blower Motor cleaning - Though the AC was fine, I did hear a mild burrr sound in addition to the fan's sound (The AC filter was washed clean a month or so back).
The cost break-up:
  • Transmission oil - 2.5 liter - 527.75
  • Coolant - 2 Liter - 426.60
  • Filter Cartridge - 1275.46
  • Oil Filter - 334.02
  • AC Blower cleaning - 110
  • Periodic Maintenance Service - 770
Total - Rs. 3855 (Including 12.5% VAT on parts and 10% Service tax on labour).
Phoenix.
Thats an interesting oil changes you have done.
Engine Oil - Mineral -> Synthetic
Gear Oil - Synthetic -> Mineral

I think you are the 1st one among the Getz Crdi owners to use synthetic grade. Will wait for your detailed review on that.
Also, waiting for your views on C drives.
I'm only 10k kms away from my second tire change.

BTW, this car can only take 2L of gear oil.
Even the manual says 2L. In my car it started spilling at around 1.9 L.

Quote:
my car will complete 2 yrs somewhere in july, so incase it is premature turbo failure i want to get it check before the warranty lapses, according to kiirus the remap is undetectable by the scanners
Haven't heard of any turbo failures in Verna around 40k mark.. It has a very robust turbo.

Have you seen any drop in oil level ?

Last edited by kpzen : 24th April 2011 at 12:25.
Old 24th April 2011, 15:29   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phoenix.
Thats an interesting oil changes you have done.
Engine Oil - Mineral -> Synthetic
Gear Oil - Synthetic -> Mineral
That was something I didn't ask them to :( Will switch back to Synth for gear oil by 60k / 70k. The gear feels a bit notchy when coming back to second and first while the car is in motion. I am looking for Synthetic gear oil from outside, my A.S.S says they have never had the synth gear oil from Hyundai in the past 5 years!
Quote:
I think you are the 1st one among the Getz Crdi owners to use synthetic grade. Will wait for your detailed review on that.
The car does seem responsive, and sounds smoother at idle - but I am still,l reserving the verdict - let me do a 1000 KM, and then I will know for sure - especially awaiting a highway run in a couple of weeks.
Quote:
Also, waiting for your views on C drives.
I'm only 10k kms away from my second tire change.
Here is a quick review, with the C.Drives now being 625 KM old on the car. Comfort is definitely much, much better considering I moved down from S.Drives on 15" to this. Major difference is that I drive faster than before over uneven roads, when I had to slow down with the S.Drives - hope this does not amount to abusing the C.Drives and get me their infamous bulges!!

For city speeds as well as for speeds up to 100, the C.Drives are pretty grippy for braking - no wheel locks in spite of me being a late braker. I will reserve my verdict on the highway handling and high speed braking in a couple of week's time.

Wet grip is amazing - definitely better than the S.Drives. It rained her for the last couple of days, and the roads were wet, slippery and water logged. Whenever I hit a patch of water, I was expecting the tires to aquaplane like the S.Drives did, but nope - goes smoothly over water patches so much that I am confident enough to cross water patches without slowing down like I would with the S.Drives. Wet braking is good too, though I never got into a "situation".
Quote:
BTW, this car can only take 2L of gear oil.
Even the manual says 2L. In my car it started spilling at around 1.9 L.
Interesting. The quantity says 2.5, not sure if it is liter or something else. But whatever it is, 2.5 seems suspicious. This might be my last service as an A.S.S, what with my warranty expiring in in June mid.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:30   #457
BHPian

Jayanth what was the reason given for steering squeak and brake screech?

3900 bucks for 5 litres is pretty cheap isnt it? I thought it generally works out to 1k per litre.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:54   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Lubrication or the lack of it!!

Quote:
3900 bucks for 5 litres is pretty cheap isnt it? I thought it generally works out to 1k per litre.
OT?
@Pras.Oct: Can you please get me Shell Rimula xxx 1 barrel as a gift? My Birthday is around the corner and I AM your friend!!
Old 25th April 2011, 12:16   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
OT?
@Pras.Oct: Can you please get me Shell Rimula xxx 1 barrel as a gift? My Birthday is around the corner and I AM your friend!!
So you need just the barrel or the contents too?
pras.oct25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2011, 18:12   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I didn't ask about the squeaks, and thanks for reminding - will have to check if they are still there! yup, the oil is priced pretty nominally - only thing is that is not available in Chennai yet.
Quote:
Lubrication or the lack of it!!

OT?
Mr. Thalai's, so WTPT for your B'day eh?!!
Old 25th April 2011, 18:36   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't ask about the squeaks, and thanks for reminding - will have to check if they are still there! ...

Mr. Thalai's, so WTPT for your B'day eh?!!
Jayanth: So are you gifting me 1 Barrel Shell "Rimula whatever"..My 540 is making too much of a racket and i need the best oil to shut it up!!

@Pras.Oct.25: You can gift me whatever you feel like. But just ensure I get money to settle your dues!!
Old 25th April 2011, 19:09   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jayanth: So are you gifting me 1 Barrel Shell "Rimula whatever"..My 540 is making too much of a racket and i need the best oil to shut it up!!
I have a better idea than that - Switch it off and give me the key! I will enjoy the music whenever..!
Old 25th April 2011, 19:55   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a better idea than that - Switch it off and give me the key! I will enjoy the music whenever..!
Anytime..I'll PM you my bank details
Old 29th April 2011, 12:28   #464
Senior - BHPian

Here is an update on the 5th gear / 2000 RPM - 90 KMPH or 100 KMPH issue.

After vdrive, kpzen and I exchanged this, I had a few sleepless nights thinking my clutch is slipping - more so because the car was driven by a few ladies whom I know drive right out of driving schools and ride the clutch (yes, all of them!) in the family, and it was 3000+ KM when I got back after my Philippines assignment. But that was when the car was ~15k KM old, still I was wondering if that would have an effect. I was more or less sure it can't be my driving coz I hardly use the clutch except for gear changes.

I collated the 2000 RPM data for a bunch of Getz CRDi on the forum (as well as Prasanna's Verna CRDi) to see how it looks - I was initially wondering if the later Getz / Verna CRDi had shorter gear ratios, but does not seem so. Here is is what I have:
Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-timings.jpg

Looks like Prajesh (kpzen) is the only Getz CRDi with the different timing, and vdrive seems to have had a similar timings earlier, but now has fallen back to majority. In fact I have posted in June 2009 that 100 KMPH comes in about 2200 RPM, and 120 KMPH comes up in 2500 RPM - the car was brand new, with less than 300 KM on the clock then.

Prajesh, what mod did you do?? Open up now, you owe me for all the sleepless nights!!!

Quote:
Anytime..I'll PM you my bank details
Shouldn't I be giving you my bank details to offload you of your off-road burden??!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 29th April 2011 at 12:29.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 13:04   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Prajesh, what mod did you do?? Open up now, you owe me for all the sleepless nights!!!
Simple, His tyre OD must me higher than yours, else it is not possible!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks