Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2009, 09:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)

It all started more than a year back - a hunt for a new car. Zeroing in on the Getz CRDi even without a test-drive was easy, for obvious reasons. While I was about to book the car then, along came i20's expected launch and the hope that something equally powerful will come in the package. The disappointment that followed the i20's launch - pricing & lack of a Diesel mill took me back to the Getz CRDi.

It is not that I didn't think of other options - Swift, in spite of its handling, was off my list because it felt cramped. I considered Indica Vista seriously, but having had a 2005 V2 DLX, I did not want another Indica - no offense here, I only have had good experiences with the car and Tata. And a 1.3 MJD with VGT in the Punto might have confused me a bit, but that was not to be. Although i love revving a good Petrol engine, I took Diesel when I bought the Indica for the mileage. And after driving the later CRDi powered cars, I am Diesel Head, period!

A few hopes and disappointments later, I made up my mind in May to get the car before the rains set in. Visited DSC Hyundai on the 30th May and got a proforma for 5.91 Lakhs on-road, after a insurance discount. A fellow BHPian, bimi, posted that the car is available for 4.99 Lakhs ex-showroom- after confirming it with KUN Hyundai (You would expect DSC to call a customer who had got a proforma 2 days back, but they wont!) decided to set the ball rolling. The revised prices brought the on-road to 5.61 Lakhs.

Now how to buy it- SBI Car Loan, or a Leased Vehicle Plan? After some toiling with Excel, figured Leased Vehicle Plan is the way to go. Got the details from my workplace and contacted Orix on the 5th of June, got all the details on the 8th, submitted the required documents and cheques, and the agreement on the 9th.

My dealer of choice was KUN Hyundai- even though their showroom is far from where I live, they have a service facility nearby. The Purchase order reached KUN on the 12th of June, with a stated wait time of up to 10 working days. But when I called my Sales person (Gokul) on Monday, he said the car will reach the yard by Tuesday evening.

I wanted to check the car in the yard, and I did not want ANY stickers on the car - I told him. Accordingly, I headed to their yard in Ambattur yesterday (17th) morning. Boy, am sure there is a immediate delivery for blue i10s, grey i20s and whole assortment of Santros! The yard was like any other- open, with dusty cars. They have a closed facility that can hold about 10 or so cars, and I guess this is where the cars gets ready once they choose who would drive them

And there stood my ph03n!x, nonchalantly at the corner. I was told the car came in late in the evening, and was given a wash-up in the morning. Had a nice long look- took the T-BHP checklist of course!

Didn't carry a camera, so here is what my phone clicked.

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-p170609_11.31.jpg
I almost saw a wink, a la Herbie!!

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-p170609_11.3201.jpg
Will I go for a de-badge? I don't think so...

Letz Getz Started (Hyundai Getz CRDi)- UPDATE: 40000, new alloys, tires!!! (page 30)-p170609_11.32.jpg
I didn't know how to find the manufactured date- it was not on the stamped plate by the front-right door-frame, or in this sticker.

The Speedo had clocked 18 KMs. Started the engine, checked the engine bay, checked the controls. Had a look around the car- looked perfect.

Gokul told me that the car will go in for registration on the 18th (Today!), and will be ready for delivery after a polishing by evening. I put it in that I am not getting any freebies except for the usual mats and flaps, and wanted a Remote locking at least. I headed to the showroom on my way back, and made sure I am getting the remote locking. I was not really interested in getting a sun-film or anything else from them- at 5.61 Lakhs on-road, I did not even feel like asking for freebies!!

I will be taking delivery today evening, though the number-plate will be ready only by tomorrow. This is what I have planned for the car on Saturday:

Tires- 195/55 R15, will decide the make/ model at the dealer (Lal's) - Suggestions? I am looking for a comfortable drive. Low noise would be good too...
Alloys - HR, model H 339- fell in love after seeing anoops' white i20. I am going for the black finish- though the dealer thinks it won't go with a black car. Comments please...

I am planning to get fog-lamps and spoilers during the second service.

For ICE, this is what my list looks like at the moment- this might take a couple of months to go, though...

HU - Premier FH-P800BT (need to buy it from the US)
AMP - GTO 1004
Compos (Front)- Was thinking of P660c, but found P6563c interesting
Ovals (Rear)- P963

Am not sure what the amp and speakers are going to cost in Madras- any directions?

And finally, I would like to thank KPZen, Anju, DJay99, Undead, Torqueguru, lionheart133, iraghava, ShyamsCRDi and all other fellow BHPians who post their reports. I wish Hyundai had this car for the price they are selling now, a year back. All other Diesel hatches would have felt the heat!

More to come, hang on!!!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2009, 10:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!!! Is this the GL model?
Old 18th June 2009, 10:52   #3
BHPian

Way to go dude. Awesome decision now that the prices have come down. You won't get this stonker of an engine in any new car & probably not even in the soon to be launched diesel i20. Great, enjoy your ride dude!
Old 18th June 2009, 11:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats ph03n!x .Rs5.61 lakhs is a killer price.Enjoy the beauty.
Black with Black Alloys will really good IMO.Go for Michelin XM1+.it's really good,No road noise and withstand for a long period.
I love black color but bought Silver.(Ordered by Home Minister and Father)
Old 18th June 2009, 11:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! Great car.

Good you went for black colour as maintaining the black plastic strip finish on sides is a pain with light colours. Also, getz looks great in dark colours. I saw a well maintained black one on the way to office.

I like the alloys. The attached picture has a matt finish, I think it would suit a black car.

Considering the power available, you should not go for purely comfort oriented tyres. I think PP2 or S drives would be a good choice.
Old 18th June 2009, 11:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
...Is this the GL model?
Thanks amtak. This is the same GVS model, the only one the CRDi is available in. The sticker on the rear quarter say 1.5 GL, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
...You won't get this stonker of an engine in any new car & probably not even in the soon to be launched diesel i20...
Exactly my point, thats why I zeroed in!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Black with Black Alloys will really good IMO.Go for Michelin XM1+.it's really good,No road noise and withstand for a long period.
I love black color but bought Silver.(Ordered by Home Minister and Father)
Expect a Black ph03n!x for the next Linea meet- i remember both of us looking to buy the Getz about a year back!! i think i will go with the black alloys, let me try on the foot wear on Saturday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
...Considering the power available, you should not go for purely comfort oriented tyres. I think PP2 or S drives would be a good choice.
Well, I am thinking of a mild compromise- wider, lower profile tires but comfort oriented so that there is a balance. Lets see, I have asked our Tire God for an opinion, awaiting his response too!
Old 18th June 2009, 11:39   #7
BHPian

Congrats pho3n!x. Great choice of color and car. You will have a tough time keeping out the scratches on the car, but.. what the heck, its a fantastic color. (I have noticed that kids like to scratch black cars)

I seriously doubt you will need fog lamps, but do get the spoiler.

The alloys design you have chosen does look good, but too many spokes for my liking. Such alloys look good in 17" ers. Do try it on the car before the purchase. Like the dealer says that alloy in black may not look good. Go for a alloy in hyper silver shade only, will look good on a black car. Try out 4 spoke or 5 spoke design alloys also.

It will save you some cash if you buy only 4 alloys and keep the spare as steel rim of the same size as the alloy. You can also buy a less expensive tire for the spare of the same profile and use the spare for a long time, using it only in case of a puncture and putting the alloy back after the puncture is repaired.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 18th June 2009 at 11:41.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:23   #8
BHPian

Congrats pho3n!x.
i have also booked a berry red CRDi Getz, but in my case it would come after 15 days, so i am just waiting anxiously.
but, do check the PCD and ET reading for the alloys before installing them. i guess the PCD for GETZ is 100.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the little rocket. Nice colour. Get good Alloys with XM1+ and post them pics here.Drive safe.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:40   #10
BHPian

Lucky you! I have to wait for 2 more weeks i suppose.
Your alloys look great have to hunt for the same in Mumbai but in 14 inches.

BTW congrats. Drive safe.

Last edited by kiren : 18th June 2009 at 12:42.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Expect a Black ph03n!x for the next Linea meet- i remember both of us looking to buy the Getz about a year back!! i think i will go with the black alloys, let me try on the foot wear on Saturday...
yes that's a different story.
I booked a Passion Red GetZ Crdi from DSC Hyundai ,Chennai.
But They did some goof up play with me.
When i went to submit my papers for registration,they simply said,My car was met with an accident and sent back to factory for fixing it.
I just amazed and even they didn't give a call to me.
I was aware only after i reached there.I got tensed and canceled the booking atonce.
So driving a passion Red Getz Crdi was a dream for me.
But Black color is handful and may be driving it if you come to Team-Bhp Meet.
Old 18th June 2009, 12:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Phoenix !

Those alloys are 7j and it would be too wide for the 195 tires. Either opt for some other model or get 205 tires.
Old 18th June 2009, 13:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I seriously doubt you will need fog lamps, but do get the spoiler.

The alloys design you have chosen does look good, but too many spokes for my liking. Such alloys look good in 17" ers. Do try it on the car before the purchase. Like the dealer says that alloy in black may not look good. Go for a alloy in hyper silver shade only, will look good on a black car. Try out 4 spoke or 5 spoke design alloys also.

It will save you some cash if you buy only 4 alloys and keep the spare as steel rim of the same size as the alloy. You can also buy a less expensive tire for the spare of the same profile and use the spare for a long time, using it only in case of a puncture and putting the alloy back after the puncture is repaired.
Thanks Hemanth!! I got a liking to this alloy after seeing this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...i20-white.html

I am sure to go with your idea if I decide against upsizing- all depends on what happens at the tire & alloy place on Saturday, will keep you posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
Congrats pho3n!x.
i have also booked a berry red CRDi Getz, but in my case it would come after 15 days, so i am just waiting anxiously.
but, do check the PCD and ET reading for the alloys before installing them. i guess the PCD for GETZ is 100.
Thanks pb10gagan, this alloy comes in both 100 & 108 PCD, lets see if I have the luck to have the 100 version in stock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Congratulations on the little rocket. Nice colour. Get good Alloys with XM1+ and post them pics here.Drive safe.
Thanks prince_pervez!! Will sure do- with great power comes great responsibilities, doesn't it?!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiren View Post
Lucky you! I have to wait for 2 more weeks i suppose.
Your alloys look great have to hunt for the same in Mumbai but in 14 inches.

BTW congrats. Drive safe.
Thanks Kiren. Keep in touch with your sales person, they state 2 weeks or 8 to 10 working days all the time, but the car will surely be there lot earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
yes that's a different story.
I booked a Passion Red GetZ Crdi from DSC Hyundai ,Chennai.
But They did some goof up play with me.
When i went to submit my papers for registration,they simply said,My car was met with an accident and sent back to factory for fixing it.
I just amazed and even they didn't give a call to me.
I was aware only after i reached there.I got tensed and canceled the booking atonce.
So driving a passion Red Getz Crdi was a dream for me.
But Black color is handful and may be driving it if you come to Team-Bhp Meet.
Well, looks like I did good not going to DSC! KUN has been very professional with me till now <touch-wood!>... Of course you will have your handful, but let me have it one-handed until 5k KMS on the clock
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Congrats Phoenix !

Those alloys are 7j and it would be too wide for the 195 tires. Either opt for some other model or get 205 tires.
Thanks kpzen! Hope to meet you in Bangy, a Rocket meet sometime!! (but your rocket is not in Bangy, or is it?)

Michelin's site has 6J as the recommended width, and 7.0J as the max. Should not be a problem, right? Or I'd head with 205's, was thinking not to make the ride too hard, especially for that ride-with-parents trips
Old 18th June 2009, 15:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

With 195 tires on 7j rims the ride quality will definitely become harsh.
More than the ride quality, i would be worried of tire damage.
I hit a big pothole at around 60kph and the result with 185/65 -14 tires was a bent front rim. With low profile tires and upsized rims the result could have been worse.
Old 19th June 2009, 00:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

It was 5:30 PM when I headed to KUN Hyundai, along with me was my friend from childhood, Vineeth. The car was to be delivered by 6:15 PM, and I had a meeting at 7:30 PM at work. But then delivery took 7 PM, and filling in the 10 litre of complimentary Diesel and reaching office made it 7:50 PM, thanks to crawling traffic and mindless drivers all around!

The pooja was done at the showroom, and photos clicked- got my sweet packet too. Finished off all important work and went off to Sai Baba temple in Mylapore with Ranjit (neoranjit) to do a pooja.

The number plate is expected tomorrow evening- will have the number plate and the remote locking installed in the Adayar service center of KUN by Saturday. Next stop would be for the footwear...

Will post some better photos later tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
With 195 tires on 7j rims the ride quality will definitely become harsh.
More than the ride quality, i would be worried of tire damage.
I hit a big pothole at around 60kph and the result with 185/65 -14 tires was a bent front rim. With low profile tires and upsized rims the result could have been worse.
hmm... now the dilemma is back - to up-size or not to!!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks