Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

@suman
I too have had such experiences when my car was stuck in mud, i was alone that time and the front tyres were half stuck in mud, that time somehow i managed to come out of the situation quite easily without vehicle putting major effort. I then noticed clutch burning smell, that is due to clutch slippage and is OK untill you manage to do it quite consistently and heavily
No problems!
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:29   #17
BHPian

Nice post ,Safari is a lovable highway ride.Where did you get the interiors refreshed.What all did you get done?I am planning same for my ride.
Old 4th June 2010, 06:44   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@suman
I too have had such experiences when my car was stuck in mud, i was alone that time and the front tyres were half stuck in mud, that time somehow i managed to come out of the situation quite easily without vehicle putting major effort. I then noticed clutch burning smell, that is due to clutch slippage and is OK untill you manage to do it quite consistently and heavily
No problems!
Thank you. I was kind of worried because this was the first time I got the burning smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishverma0675 View Post
Nice post ,Safari is a lovable highway ride.Where did you get the interiors refreshed.What all did you get done?I am planning same for my ride.
I got it refreshed at a TASS, but I think that was a mistake. They charged me close to 10k to replace parts, polish etc., but the quality of job was not good.

I am also looking to replace the console with a wooden console. Currently one switch is broken, and the look is not that great anymore.
Old 22nd September 2010, 20:04   #19
BHPian

New bumpers were fitted to the vehicle. Rear bumper was Rs. 6k, Front bumper was also similar.

Power steering hose was replaced. Possible reason could be parking with wheels locked.

Fog lamps were repaired with new bulbs. Still not happy with overall lights. According to the dealer, the safari light is designed in such a way that some opening is less, so the light would not be very good. He suggested to put auxiliary lights. Currently there is OSRAM nightbreaker, which is equivalent to 90w/100. I am hesitant to put 90w/130 as it could potentially damage the headlight assembly over time.

Not sure if the light is less because of the bullbar.

There is a slight vibration in the steering column if the rear wheel goes over 'stepped roads', i.e., when the road surface drops suddenly, like from a patchy surface to a normal surface. Does not happen with the front wheels. What could be the possible reasons? The suspension is possibly okay.
Old 23rd September 2010, 12:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information. For light illumination, set the low beam a little high, this must solve the problem. I have 90/100W in my car and the illumination is sufficient to cruise on highways at 90-100kmph, which is a good speed at nights.

There might be some problem in steering column lock check that it is the main due cause for vibrations.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:18   #21
BHPian

Thanks. Will get the lock checked. Took the car to Concorde and they confirmed that the so called vibration is normal The service advisor drove the vehicle through very bad roads, but with due care.

Concorde seems to be the best in Bangalore. I had problem with Concorde over diesel pump, but technically that was a problem with their vendor.

The diesel pump was inspected by Bosch today. This was arranged by Tata Motors. They confirmed that if there is no loss of pickup or mileage or if the exhaust does not contain white smoke, there is no problem with the pump.

They will review the work done by their another dealer (vendor of Concorde) and get back to us.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
if the exhaust does not contain white smoke, there is no problem with the pump.
I have recently overhauled the engine of my 1999 Indica. It has started giving white smoke, the TASC said that there is a problem in pump. I never believed on them, but not as you told, I believe that there is a problem with pump only. Thanks for that.
Old 23rd September 2010, 16:44   #23
BHPian

Can we get the pictures of your ride?
Old 24th September 2010, 09:50   #24
BHPian

How many kms did it do before overhaul? How much was the cost? Just curious.

Here are the links to the photos.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2074830

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2075199

The headlights are still a problem. I have installed OSRAM nightbreaker, which is equivalent to 90W/100, but without requiring wiring or cutout. I have adjusted the headlights 3 times, but not helpful.

Last edited by sumannandy : 24th September 2010 at 09:51.
Old 25th September 2010, 08:10   #25
BHPian

I filled my car with BP diesel this time. The engine was very smooth.

I used to use BP High speed earlier but then switched to HP and then IOC. The smoothness was great with IOC, but looks like BP is better.

May be I should try BP. This was from the Richmond road pump.
Old 8th November 2010, 20:35   #26
BHPian

Had to replace the steering column assembly. Cost approximately 4800. Need to replace one more assembly, cost approximately 1400 + labor, but the part was not in stock.

Will get it changed in the next service.

Steering response is great as expected. I suspect the reason for change could be running the car without steering lubrication for 3-4 years. My driver or I were not aware that steering column needs greasing. So last year the service center warned about this when they attended a sound in the column.
Old 8th November 2010, 20:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Had to replace the steering column assembly. Cost approximately 4800. Need to replace one more assembly, cost approximately 1400 + labor, but the part was not in stock.

Will get it changed in the next service.

Steering response is great as expected. I suspect the reason for change could be running the car without steering lubrication for 3-4 years. My driver or I were not aware that steering column needs greasing. So last year the service center warned about this when they attended a sound in the column.
What type of lubrication? And could you post the pictures of what exactly is replaced, Please. Also, did you opt for aftermarket or TASC for the change?
Old 9th November 2010, 23:33   #28
BHPian

I think it is just normal grease. But this is not a regular greasing point I guess, so it is not attended during regular servicing. It is more like greasing the wheel bearings. Last year when I took my car to TASS for attending to a sound in steering, they said the steering was running without any lubrication and although they greased it and applied sealant and wd-40, I would have to change the steering column assembly after a couple of months. it did last for 1.5 years though. I am not sure of exact interval of greasing. But greasing costs only Rs. 500ish, so I plan to do it once every year.

I got it done at Concorde. They charged around Rs. 1000 as labor charge. It may be slightly higher, but my experience on getting the work done outside has not been great. Even if the quality of work is ok, you would have to run around for getting parts and most of the parts are not easily available for safari. In my case I had issues with the quality of work too, except when I got the work done in one garage in Kolkata.

I will post the pictures.

Last edited by sumannandy : 9th November 2010 at 23:34.
Old 9th November 2010, 23:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Seems like I too will have to get this done. But,could you elaborate on the type of sound you were getting, and what would have been the consequences ,if you would not have changed the steering column. Also, please post the parts included in the steering column and whether they are sold separately or an integrated part of the steering column.

Thanks for kindly replying to my queries.
Old 12th November 2010, 22:15   #30
BHPian

The sound was like a jamming sound when the steering was rotated. If I did not change the column, the steering could have jammed .

I will post the pictures soon.

Most Viewed