Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 22:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Reclaiming life - My Tata Safari TCIC. 13 years, 1,23,000 kms and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Most likely the Mico/Bosch.

Some Sumo's have TVS Lucas FIPs
Ohh!!! Thanks. That's a good news for me. I have'nt to travel 25 kms to get my FIP serviced now.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:48   #47
BHPian

Update on diesel leakage.

Diesel is still leaking. After calling Bosch and Tata for over 6 months, finally Bosch engineers inspected the car and confirmed that there is a thread damage. They also confirmed that the work done earlier was not related to the diesel leakage ( so essentially I paid for something which was not a problem) as that they cannot diagnose a problem correctly in 30 minutes or so of inspection !!!

Thread damage can happen due to improper handling. I think this is due o the improper handling by Concorde or Bosch when they worked on the pump last time. However, it is difficult to establish.

Bosch agreed to waive off all labor and 50% of the parts for the head unit and solenoid switch.

Its one week since we had the conversation. Now the dealer is asking me to contact the Bosch official and the Bosch official is not answering the calls.
Old 8th January 2011, 22:59   #48
Senior - BHPian

Any information about what should I do now? I have a leaking diesel pump, there are no signs of any excessive smoke or anything like that? Only diesel leakage? What should I do? Should I go for a complete pump overhaul?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Update on diesel leakage.

Diesel is still leaking. After calling Bosch and Tata for over 6 months, finally Bosch engineers inspected the car and confirmed that there is a thread damage. They also confirmed that the work done earlier was not related to the diesel leakage ( so essentially I paid for something which was not a problem) as that they cannot diagnose a problem correctly in 30 minutes or so of inspection !!!

Thread damage can happen due to improper handling. I think this is due o the improper handling by Concorde or Bosch when they worked on the pump last time. However, it is difficult to establish.

Bosch agreed to waive off all labor and 50% of the parts for the head unit and solenoid switch.

Its one week since we had the conversation. Now the dealer is asking me to contact the Bosch official and the Bosch official is not answering the calls.
That's something we don't expect. Thread damage is not a normal thing. Where has exactly the thread damage happened. You could get it corrected by a lathe-wala, could you?

Last edited by mercedised : 8th January 2011 at 23:01.
Old 9th January 2011, 07:36   #49
BHPian

Since I have a similar problem, I might be able to help you out.

If the diesel is leaking from the return pipe, try changing a washer first.

If it does not work, you might need to go for a pump overhaul. It would cost anything between 2k to 4.5k, plus fitting charges. Tata motors service center will charge a handling charge of 20% over the charge of the Bosch dealer, so you might want to get it removed and fitted outside, it usually costs around Rs. 1k or so outside.

If it is leaking from the top, you have to change the top cover. It comes as a sealed unit and cost around Rs. 10k.

I don't know if it could be corrected at lathe. I am not taking any risk since it is a pump. Anyway I am getting the pump at 50% off plus free labor, so the difference is not much.

Had a squaking noise from clutch spring. WD40 spray helped to get rid of the noise.

Power steering oil is leaking from the power steering box. Estimated cost 2k-3k. Will get it done in the next service. Nothing urgent as of now.

Last edited by sumannandy : 9th January 2011 at 07:38.
Old 9th January 2011, 08:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since I have a similar problem, I might be able to help you out.

If the diesel is leaking from the return pipe, try changing a washer first.

If it does not work, you might need to go for a pump overhaul. It would cost anything between 2k to 4.5k, plus fitting charges. Tata motors service center will charge a handling charge of 20% over the charge of the Bosch dealer, so you might want to get it removed and fitted outside, it usually costs around Rs. 1k or so outside.
Actually, according to SC the seal-set of the pump needs change nothing else. As the diesel is not leaking all the time, only when the car is cold. And the handling, refitting charges were some 700 Rs by TASC.
Old 9th January 2011, 13:26   #51
BHPian

That's exactly the problem I have. Diesel is leaking only when it is cold. Wonder if they misdiagnosed the problem. From exactly where it is leaking?
Old 10th January 2011, 10:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Had a squaking noise from clutch spring. WD40 spray helped to get rid of the noise.
Where can I get this WD40? My clutch is squeaking too and I missed complaining about it during second service...

Thanks.
Old 11th January 2011, 16:24   #53
BHPian

Most of teh local garages would have it. I went to a local garage.
Old 11th January 2011, 17:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Where can I get this WD40? My clutch is squeaking too and I missed complaining about it during second service...

Thanks.
I bought one from JC Road. But you can get from any accessories shop.
Old 6th March 2011, 21:55   #55
BHPian

Urgent: Engine heating issue(?)

Guys,

I am going for a drive on Wednesday. However, today while driving on highway I noted that the engine temperature was higher than normal.

I drive a Tata safari. The AC was set to 3 with rear A/C on and the temperature was about 1/3th. With the AC at 3 and rear condenser off, the temperature was fluctuating between 1/3th and C, i.e. while I accelerate hard or at an incline it used to be at 1/3th and while on normal driving it used to come back to close to C.

Normally while driving in city, I put the AC at 2 and the temperature is close to C.

The fuel pump head was changed recently and this is the first time I was driving on highway after the change.

Is there any problem? I drove for about an hour or so only today on highway. I am concerned that it should not be an issue while I drive on highway for 8-9 hours at a stretch during my drive later this week.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:17   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Urgent: Engine heating issue(?)

Quote:
...the temperature was fluctuating between 1/3th and C, i.e. while I accelerate hard or at an incline it used to be at 1/3th and while on normal driving it used to come back to close to C.

Normally while driving in city, I put the AC at 2 and the temperature is close to C.

The fuel pump head was changed recently and this is the first time I was driving on highway after the change.

Is there any problem? I drove for about an hour or so only today on highway. I am concerned that it should not be an issue while I drive on highway for 8-9 hours at a stretch during my drive later this week.
Isn't the temperature needle supposed to be between the 1/3rd & 1/2 mark on routine driving? Has the thermostatic valve been removed from the radiator circuit?
Old 6th March 2011, 22:45   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Isn't the temperature needle supposed to be between the 1/3rd & 1/2 mark on routine driving? Has the thermostatic valve been removed from the radiator circuit?
+1

For diesel engines, the operating temp ais generally between 85-95 Deg Celsius thereby keeping the temp guage constant at slightly below the centre mark.

Please check your thermostat as its keeping your coolant circuit valve continuously open. BTW have you noticed any drop in mileage.

I'm assuming yours is a Turbo engine for the Safari
Old 6th March 2011, 23:21   #58
BHPian

Thank you for your reply. Yes, mine is a turbo engine. The mileage has dropped to 7.5 kmpl for city driving but that's the way it is for last 1-2 years or so, and I always drive with 100% AC and I do not switch off the engine till I reach the destination.

I have no idea about the thermostatic valve. In my car the temperature used to always be at 1/2 mark. During a radiator change (Nov 2009), TASS installed new model radiator circuit with new model radiator. Since then, the temperature has always been close to zero with AC at 2.

Is it harmful in any way (Sorry I have no idea on how these things work) ? Do I need to get anything changed as soon as possible before I go for the trip?
Old 6th March 2011, 23:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is it harmful in any way (Sorry I have no idea on how these things work) ? Do I need to get anything changed as soon as possible before I go for the trip?
7.5KMPL for a TCIC engine is low.

I feel the thermostat valve is not working properly. Before pronouncing any solution, I would like to see the pictures of your temp guage after about 20-30 minutes of running.
Old 7th March 2011, 06:23   #60
BHPian

If no load like AC, the temp gauge would be at C or slightly below C.

IF AC is on at 2, temp gauge would be at C, and it would remain that way for the most part of it.

IF AC is on at 3 or more, the temp gauge would be slightly above C.

So the low mileage could also be because of the thermostat? Could you please explain (I do not know how these things work).

By the way, the highway mileage before the fuel pump head change used to be close to 14kmpl and the best I got was about 15 KMPL. But may be that is also low as I do not drive more than 80kmph in GQ.

I am assuming the temperature reading device does work as yesterday with AC at 3 and the rear AC on, the temperature was about 1/3th. So may be it is the thermostat that is keeping the coolant circuit open all the time like you said.

Last edited by sumannandy : 7th March 2011 at 06:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks