Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 16:57   #556
Team-BHP Support

Re: V6 Power - My Accord. EDIT - New Pics Pg. 37!

Update -

The Accord is at 22,700 kms, 5 years after being manufactured. It certainly does not feel that old, probably due to the low usage. If you see the pics above on this page, it certainly does not look that old. And the car was running just fine, like most Hondas do, till today. Parked it at home, and noticed smoke coming out of the bonnet, now not so much that it made me panic, but enough to get me worried. Opened the bonnet but couldn't figure where it was coming from.

So I called the Honda breakdown person, he said it was a power steering oil leak, and it was dripping onto the silencer, that was causing the smoke. Fair enough, took it to Honda to confirm and they said the same. Unfortunately the part is not in stock, so my car is grounded at home till it comes.

My SA has now become manager there, so everything was done quickly and he even gave me a spare bottle of power steering oil, just in case I need to use the car. All at no charge.

Anyway after the brake pad change the car is back to its former glory. Also the filter is back to the short ram intake, which makes more noise than the cold air intake. And the car is pulling really nicely now. Some torque is lost, because the traction light seems to be blinking less in 1st gear compared to the CAI, but its fine because the top end now is crazy.

Well I still enjoy driving this car and giving it the beans, even after owning it for so long, and I guess aside from all these minor issues that is all that matters.
Old 14th June 2012, 21:09   #557
BHPian

Power steering Rack and Pump issue is a Very very common, irritating and expensive problem in Civic and Accord.

My civic had rack issue and my neighbors 06 2.4 Accord had a PS Pump and Rack failure which had total repair bill of 1.2L.

There are very very few accords with no PS problems, also one common problem of accord and Civic is Cooling coil failure.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 23:57   #558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
Power steering Rack and Pump issue is a Very very common, irritating and expensive problem in Civic and Accord.

My civic had rack issue and my neighbors 06 2.4 Accord had a PS Pump and Rack failure which had total repair bill of 1.2L.

There are very very few accords with no PS problems, also one common problem of accord and Civic is Cooling coil failure.
Dude don't scare me. I haven't even asked the price of the part. How much will it be? Only the pipe?
Old 15th June 2012, 00:14   #559
BHPian

Only Pipe would be some 6k-7k, cause pipe of civic is like 4.5k

The rack of the civic from Honda is 52k and Pump is 18k

So you guess the prices for the accord parts and yours is a V6 hence more expensive.
jatinpatel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 14:22   #560
Team-BHP Support

So the part cost 15k. Apparently its 8k for the 2.4 Accord, and 15k for this. Surprisingly expensive. Anyway I hope this is the last bit of maintenance I have to do to this car till the oil change in Nov/Dec.

Back to enjoying the car now.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 15:11   #561
BHPian

Was Checking out a 2007 Acord V6 white colour for 6.45lakhs without negotiation had around 50k on the odo, Single user and was in quite good condition other then few s scratches here and there and needed a tyre change!
Wondering if I should consider it? My daily running is around 30Km and only thing that worries me is the scary maintenance you'll discuss. Is there any chance I can get a mileage of 9 on it in Mumbai city suburbs driving and Is this advisable or maybe a Civic in good condition?
Old 19th June 2012, 20:26   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile
Was Checking out a 2007 Acord V6 white colour for 6.45lakhs without negotiation had around 50k on the odo, Single user and was in quite good condition other then few s scratches here and there and needed a tyre change!
Wondering if I should consider it? My daily running is around 30Km and only thing that worries me is the scary maintenance you'll discuss. Is there any chance I can get a mileage of 9 on it in Mumbai city suburbs driving and Is this advisable or maybe a Civic in good condition?
Never buy such machines and expect great mileage. If you want to run these as a daily drive then do but don't expect much. There are people who get as low as 6 kmpl and as high as 12 kmpl. It's all in your driving. These cars are for fun.

Abhay - Owner of a Stage II vRS as a daily drive.
Old 19th June 2012, 20:42   #563
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuarterMile View Post
Say whaaaat? What scary maintenance costs? Its a 20+ lac car afterall, you can't expect parts to come at the same price as parts of a City.

Do consider it, 30km is not much. As long as you can deal with the size and fine proper parking it should not be an issue. But do budget in about 3 tanks every month, so about 12k on fuel. That all depends on how you use it. 9kmpl in Mumbai traffic? Forget about it. You will get 6 at the max, maybe 6.5 with granny driving.

That said this car is great, and the Civic auto is no match for the thrill you get driving this.
Old 19th June 2012, 21:18   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu

Never buy such machines and expect great mileage. If you want to run these as a daily drive then do but don't expect much. There are people who get as low as 6 kmpl and as high as 12 kmpl. It's all in your driving. These cars are for fun.

Abhay - Owner of a Stage II vRS as a daily drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Say whaaaat? What scary maintenance costs? Its a 20+ lac car afterall, you can't expect parts to come at the same price as parts of a City.

Do consider it, 30km is not much. As long as you can deal with the size and fine proper parking it should not be an issue. But do budget in about 3 tanks every month, so about 12k on fuel. That all depends on how you use it. 9kmpl in Mumbai traffic? Forget about it. You will get 6 at the max, maybe 6.5 with granny driving.

That said this car is great, and the Civic auto is no match for the thrill you get driving this.

Thanks a lot for the details! Really fell in love with the car when I saw it! It's a fun machine for sure and actually I don't care bout mileage but my dad is the one who has to be convinced cause he is paying
Parking is not an issue and I understand what you mean by driving thrill! Have also the option of a octavia VRS which does churn out 200bhp or more with Pete's tuning with around 7-9kmpl.
Old 21st June 2012, 00:18   #565
BHPian

My 2.4 Accord's steering assembly failed too

I was quoted Rs 60k + for it but the SA recommended me a lathe (or something) fix which did the job for Rs. 6k. They gave a warranty of 6 months but it's been almost a year and everything seems fine. Downside is that the steering became a bit hard after it (could be due to labour error).

I am coming up to a major service for the car now:
  • Oxygen sensor
  • New tires (all 4)
  • Driver power window switch
  • Front power window motors
  • New throttle body
  • New spark plugs
  • New front discs
  • Bumpers need refurbishment (NCR traffic lol)
  • And some misc. stuff here and there.
Good thing is that I am getting most of the stuff from outside Honda (but all genuine OEM parts). The savings are huge! For instance the oxygen sensor from Honda is for Rs. 16k while I am getting the same Denso part from outside for Rs. 6k

So people who are looking to buy this car (used) should consider these things in mind. The car is reliable but when it goes wrong it is slightly expensive. I could probably avoid getting some of the parts fitted from the above list but the FE has become so bad that I have no choice (due to the O2 sensor and spark plugs).

Do not want to dampen anyone's spirits though. I love my car and it's almost 7 years and 1 lac km old now so considering that I think it has been great value for money and very reliable. The whole car is still solid and looks only half the age. Can't imagine an European car surviving this well in India for so long.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by goingout : 21st June 2012 at 00:26.
goingout is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 19:17   #566
Team-BHP Support

Just got it detailed, who would think its 5 years old huh?
Attached Thumbnails
V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400052.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400053.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400055.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400058.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400060.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400061.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400062.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400063.jpg  

V6 Power - My Honda Accord. EDIT - New Pics on page 37!-img2012081400064.jpg  

Akshay1234 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 21:42   #567
BHPian

@askshay;

The car looks like a million bucks. I love well kept cars. But I have to say, the services and parts charges I am reading here for maintaining an Accord just seems ridiculous, to me at least.

And I keep trying to convince people that there is no such thing as a maintenance free vehicle, Japanese or otherwise. But no takers so for.. Everyone seems so brainwashed by the aura of the Japs. In my opinion, it's just a mirage.

People want cars that look like a Ferrari, reliable like an Accord and cheap to maintain like a Hyundai.. Doesn't exist.
VLOCT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 22:28   #568
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
@askshay;

The car looks like a million bucks. I love well kept cars. But I have to say, the services and parts charges I am reading here for maintaining an Accord just seems ridiculous, to me at least.

And I keep trying to convince people that there is no such thing as a maintenance free vehicle, Japanese or otherwise. But no takers so for.. Everyone seems so brainwashed by the aura of the Japs. In my opinion, it's just a mirage.

People want cars that look like a Ferrari, reliable like an Accord and cheap to maintain like a Hyundai.. Doesn't exist.
Well the car is a bit old now, so I would expect something or the other to go wrong. Nothing major yet *touchwood*. The parts are cheaper than their Euro counterparts, but still a Japanese is not maintenance free, I mean unless you baby it. But I can't do that.

I like redlining the car, I like quick acceleration. Because of that I do send it for a service more frequently than it should be. I also change the oil every 10 months.

Infact I'm planning an oil change next week. I've got a sudden interest back for this car and I want to get it back into perfect shape. But this will still probably be the last Jap car in the house.

Also going to order a new set of number plates, these are worn out and dented.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 14th August 2012 at 22:30.
Old 15th August 2012, 00:00   #569
BHPian

was the rear bumper re-painted anytime ? the texture of the paint doesn gell well with the rest of the car,

Mirror finish detailing i must say. Impressed.

not jinxing your car or anything but just warning that be ready for AC cooling coil related problems as Accords and Civics are famous for cooling coil failures. Happened in my civic and my best friends 07 Accord.
Old 19th August 2012, 09:56   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
was the rear bumper re-painted anytime ? the texture of the paint doesn gell well with the rest of the car,

Mirror finish detailing i must say. Impressed.

not jinxing your car or anything but just warning that be ready for AC cooling coil related problems as Accords and Civics are famous for cooling coil failures. Happened in my civic and my best friends 07 Accord.
Yes you are right, not only the rear bumper but a few other bits were repainted as well, since there were some scratches, dings. I decided to just get the car back into almost perfect shape. While the colour matching is spot on, the job itself could have been done better. Though its not noticeable to most.

I really hope there are no more part failures on this car (not like there have been many), I just want it to run perfectly for a year after which I shall sell it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks