New Number plates - mostly simple ones with nice fonts

Antenna - Was broken by some hooligan and needs to be installed

Steering Cover - Current one has worn out and has been removed

Internal bigger RVM - It dismantled & broke yesterday while wifey was driving

Will push me back by about 1 K but the look on the face - PRICELESS
Old 24th March 2011, 08:23   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Spark - Owners report

Got the Brake pin calipers replaced under running repair warranty. Each of them costs about Rs 2151. Now the only problem is that the alignment is totally off and the car is veering to the left as soon as the steering is left alone.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:40   #78
BHPian

Alignment is a perinial issue with this car. Every time I get it done its never right. I have to always take it back till they get it right. And the funny thing is, the car always steers left....
Old 28th March 2011, 17:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikrantD View Post
Alignment is a perinial issue with this car. Every time I get it done its never right. I have to always take it back till they get it right. And the funny thing is, the car always steers left....
The GM service guys have been unable to get my alignment right for the last 1.5 years. I have now taken my car to an expert who said that the problem is due to the left strut/shock rubber cap or the part that you can see in the engine bay where the shock is attached. The so called trained GM service guys were unable to diagnose this problem for the past 1.5 years and only today have taken the car back to have the part replaced on my explaining and insisting. See if you are facing the same problem.
Old 28th March 2011, 17:48   #80
BHPian

I owned a Daewoo Matiz for about 9 years. My observations:

They must have degraded the AC. The one in my car was a bone-chiller even in a hot Calcutta summer. In the evenings and slightly cooler days, I had to turn it back into 75% cool. The compressor was always on. Never turned off.

Never had a problem with brakes, alignments or any such thing. The engine was terrible, though. It was a slagger of a car, not suitable for my driving style at all. The only 'upgrade' over my '73 Padmini was the AC.

And the seatbelts, which saved my life in a bad head-on collision with a Calcutta taxi coming down the wrong side of a blind one-way road.

After that crash the car changed completely, became even worse to drive. I left for Mumbai and it was good enough for doing duty with my parents, but when I moved back I sold the car off as maintaining it was too expensive. I sort of 'stayed' with GM, picking up a Corsa (which still lives), which is another toughie on the pocket. I thought that GM had licked the maintenance costs issue.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:16   #81
BHPian

Wow, thats a new one. Will definitely look into it. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The GM service guys have been unable to get my alignment right for the last 1.5 years. I have now taken my car to an expert who said that the problem is due to the left strut/shock rubber cap or the part that you can see in the engine bay where the shock is attached. The so called trained GM service guys were unable to diagnose this problem for the past 1.5 years and only today have taken the car back to have the part replaced on my explaining and insisting. See if you are facing the same problem.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:23   #82
BANNED

Quote:
Got the Brake pin calipers replaced under running repair warranty. Each of them costs about Rs 2151. Now the only problem is that the alignment is totally off and the car is veering to the left as soon as the steering is left alone.
My spark is also giving "Caliper Noise" on rough patches. Planning to get it replaced in next service at 12th Apr.
Old 11th May 2011, 10:19   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thats a new one. Will definitely look into it. Thanks for the info.
Has your problem been sorted out. Also get the alignment checked by some good alignment guy as I really doubt if the GM service guys can take care of this problem. My Spark is finally tracking straight after replacing the left strut and the strut housing in the engine bay and a proper alignment from a competent guy wh9o knows his job.

Guys who got their shocks changed under warranty, what were the symptoms especially for the rear shock change?

Last edited by SPARKled : 11th May 2011 at 10:21. Reason: new question
Old 11th May 2011, 12:32   #84
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Guys who got their shocks changed under warranty, what were the symptoms especially for the rear shock change?
[/quote]

There used to be slight chi-chi sound from the rear when you start from the standstill. The sound is slight at the begining and becomes prominent after a while. The sound also emerges at slow speeds when the car is on turns.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Symptoms are that if you open the boot lid and then press down on the rear, you will hear a loud squeaking-like sound as the vehicle moves up and down (shockers expand and compress).

Sounds similar to the sound you hear if you rub your finger on your teeth Can't explain exactly.

Anyway, insist that they check the global issues list if they create a scene. I had to fight to get them to check, and then finally admit and change under warranty.
Old 11th May 2011, 20:50   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Has your problem been sorted out. Also get the alignment checked by some good alignment guy as I really doubt if the GM service guys can take care of this problem. My Spark is finally tracking straight after replacing the left strut and the strut housing in the engine bay and a proper alignment from a competent guy wh9o knows his job.

Hey Buddy,

As per your previous post, I did visit a pro alignment guy. Even after several alignments and trials, the car still pulled left. It seems Spark has only the toe adjustment option. So he opened the front right wheel and drum and changed the camber pin. Now the car pulls right and the steering is tilted towards the left. And also, the car steering vibrates vigorously at speeds above 90 which never happened earlier....I really dont know what to do.
Old 11th May 2011, 20:52   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I got the rear shocks changed twice under warranty. A slight squeaking noise is observed while driving. Thats a good enough trigger to get the shocks checked.
Old 11th May 2011, 22:38   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Buddy,

As per your previous post, I did visit a pro alignment guy. Even after several alignments and trials, the car still pulled left. It seems Spark has only the toe adjustment option. So he opened the front right wheel and drum and changed the camber pin. Now the car pulls right and the steering is tilted towards the left. And also, the car steering vibrates vigorously at speeds above 90 which never happened earlier....I really dont know what to do.
Well I am not sure about that, but now my alignment is perfect so you know that its possible and not really a hopeless situation. The steering tilt can easily be rectified by the alignment guy. Get another alignment guy if he is unable to rectify even a simple steering tilt coz it should not have been there in the first place.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:07   #89
BHPian

@harish: are you planning for a OEM antenna? does a aftermarket antenna make problems worse like rust etc....coz i am planning one soon.
Old 11th May 2011, 23:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

@quadra: I have an internal antenna which is attached just behind the rear view mirror near the front wind shield. It works pretty fine with my Clarion HU. Try it out, IMHO much better than a protruding external one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks