Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2010, 10:59   #1
evo
BHPian

Elantra Crdi 76000 KM Engine Block Replacement???

Our 2004 Elantra Crdi that has run flawlessly for over 76000 KM`s has had its first issues. (Regular stuff like Clutch and Timing belt etc was changed as preventive maintainance earlier.)

Some time ago, the car started spewing white smoke and the engine lost nearly all its pickup. It was taken to the Hyundai A.S.S in Guwahati - Ojha Hyundai because the Shillong A.S.S refused to sevice the Crdi engine pleading lack of knowledge! The Service Manager diagnosed the car as having poor compression and asked us for a Turbo Replacement approval.

The other A.S.S at Guwahati in the meanwhile has quoted 2.88 Lakhs for the job which involves replacing the block itself.

Ojha Hyundai says it cannot guarantee that the car will run even after the turbo replacement.

Any insights or suggestions?
Old 28th June 2010, 11:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

76000 kms is too early for engine overhaul in Elantra CRDi. AFAIK a turbo replacement cannot fix the compression issue, How much Oil does your car consume?

Block replacement?? Why do they want to replace the block? Is there any crack? Get the car checked from an alternate workshop, the dealer might be taking you for ride.

Please post the problems and diagnosis by the dealer in detail.
Old 28th June 2010, 12:47   #3
evo
BHPian

@Anshuman, below is the quote from the Guwahati Dealer:

ENGINE ESTIMATE

SL NO PART NAME
1 OIL SEAL
2 INTAKE VALVE
3 EXHAUST VALVE
4 SEAL VALVE STEM
5 SEAL INTAKE SPRING
6 SEAT EXHAUST
7 EGR PIPE GASKET
8 EGR VALVE GASKET
9 EGR PIPE GASKET
10 INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET
11 THERMOSTAT ASSY
12 TERBOCHARGER GASKET
13 ENGINE ASSY SHORT
14 HEAD GASKET
15 TIMING BELT
16 TENSIONER BEARING
17 SPOKET
TOTAL: APPROX RS.280000
Old 28th June 2010, 13:20   #4
evo
BHPian

The Guwahati dealer says that the bore has become too large and the car will consume the lubricant if they dont change the block. There are NO cracks of any sort on the block.

My Kolkata Dealer says that the block can go to the lathe and with some lining, it will be sorted.

I made the Guwahati A.S.S manager speak to my guy in Kolkata on conference, which ended with both of them calling each other names!
Old 28th June 2010, 13:25   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Speak to Hyundai Support directly.
2) I feel this is turbo related and just a turbo replacement should do the trick. - How was the loss of compression detected?
Old 28th June 2010, 13:32   #6
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Speak to Hyundai Support directly.
2) I feel this is turbo related and just a turbo replacement should do the trick. - How was the loss of compression detected?
Spoke to Hyundai, they said that they can simply take down a complaint against the dealer and nothing else. They said that I must confirm that I`m not getting good service.

The loss of compression was detected by a compression test at Ojha Hyundai.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:41   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

@Evo: A question out of curiosity, Do you have Pete's box installed in your car?
Old 28th June 2010, 13:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you to get in touch with a Local garage of good repute for the inspection and repairs, Hyundai guys will do it but will charge you bomb.I got my Viva CRDI overhauled last year for around 1.25 including turbo replacement.For the same i was quoted around 1.6+ by HASS minus Turbo.
Old 28th June 2010, 13:58   #9
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@Evo: A question out of curiosity, Do you have Pete's box installed in your car?
yup. Why? Does that have a bearing?
Old 28th June 2010, 14:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I have come across endless cases of premature turbo failures in car's with Pete's tuning box. Though all of them were Palios, Swifts and Fiestas.

My Service advisor says he has never ever seen a Elantra going in for Engine overhaul, he can count atleast 10-12 cars on fingertips which have done close 200k kms and are still running fine. I got my car's compression checked last month, the engine after having done 135k kms is still perfectly healthy. This Detroit diesel designed engine has extremely good engine reliability.
Old 28th June 2010, 14:50   #11
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I have come across endless cases of premature turbo failures in car's with Pete's tuning box. Though all of them were Palios, Swifts and Fiestas.

My Service advisor says he has never ever seen a Elantra going in for Engine overhaul, he can count atleast 10-12 cars on fingertips which have done close 200k kms and are still running fine. I got my car's compression checked last month, the engine after having done 135k kms is still perfectly healthy. This Detroit diesel designed engine has extremely good engine reliability.
Oh. So what do you advise?

Also @ epicentre.rulez : Thank you so much for the contact. The gentleman was supremely supremely helpful!

Last edited by n_aditya : 3rd November 2010 at 11:57. Reason: merged posts
Old 28th June 2010, 15:13   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Get the car checked from some alternate trusted garage, even if it involves driving to some other city like Kolkata, 2.8lacs rupees is a huge amount. Do not say Yes for the job unless you are very sure.

Add some more money to it and you can get a similar car of 2004 vintage.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

First Compression and Turbo should have no link , If Cylinder bore is damaged there is no way a Turbo change can do something.

So first ask Hyndai what is normal compression for a healthy engine then get the compression test done at another local garage to verify what they are saying is correct. I do not know why Block should be replaced in Elentra engine normally the cylinder has a sleeve which is replaced and also piston ring needs to be replaced. Block replacement is required if there is a crack or something similar.

If the expense is really 2.88 lakhs then I think it is better to sell off the car.

Disclaimer : Above views are based on second hand information.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If the expense is really 2.88 lakhs then I think it is better to sell off the car.
or better plonk in a new engine, the engine is still available in the Sonata/Tucson 150 BHP trim.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:49   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Oh. So what do you advise?

Also @ epicentre.rulez : Thank you so much for the contact. The gentleman was supremely supremely helpful!
never a problem buddy!!!!
enjoy!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks