Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2010, 08:04   #31
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Man . The expenses amount are frightening to me. I too have Pete's installed, now i am scared whether i will face the same problem. I have just completed 67000 kms.
Hmm. I dont know if its a regular issue. It doesnt look like it as yet. Since you know the symptoms from the thread, you could ask your mechanic to do a checkup when you get the timing belt changed, if not done already.
Old 8th September 2010, 10:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
Man . The expenses amount are frightening to me. I too have Pete's installed, now i am scared whether i will face the same problem. I have just completed 67000 kms.
You dont have to be scared, we have seen peted elantras run more than 1.25lkh kms without any issues and 67k kms is too early. If you want performance you need to maintain it aswell which people usually dont do.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:25   #33
BHPian

Undead- You've heard it from the man himself - BRRAJ. You can take his word on it.

Evo-: Did you take it to an independant workshop to get it checked? Hyundai is unresponsive when it comes to big bucks and all ASC's also want big bucks. Did they give any reason why it has happened at such an early time?

As someone suggested, buying a Sonata engine might only cost so much.. re-building , and that too so early, really doesn't feel right to me.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:46   #34
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post

Evo-: Did you take it to an independant workshop to get it checked? Hyundai is unresponsive when it comes to big bucks and all ASC's also want big bucks. Did they give any reason why it has happened at such an early time?

As someone suggested, buying a Sonata engine might only cost so much.. re-building , and that too so early, really doesn't feel right to me.
They say, its something they can predict and it can happen at 30000 KM also. In terms of rebuilding or buying, I`ll take a call after the HASS here, checks it out. The workshop guy is an ok type chap, so I suppose I`ll wait to here his views first.
Old 8th September 2010, 18:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Today , i took my Elantra for electrical work . Wiring for the Hella 500FF was done today . Still the clamp is not ready . Got to ready it from local lathe shop. I asked the knowledged person there, he started the car and saw the smoke too and he said , everything is ok. If we want to check the compression ratio, it will take sometime,so i didnt do it. He said problems at 76000 kms in elantra is very rare and he has seen a customer's elantra running in good condition even at 263000kms. Timing belt is not changed and he said we can change at 70000kms if i need to or he mostly changes at 80000kms and the clutch can go for 15000 kms more. Actually this technical person always tries to avoid more spending on car. (For eg: the driver side ac vent was damaged and not operating properly, i said to change it and he replied - the ac vent will cost around rs.350 , but the labour to remove the dashboard is very costly and so dont waste money on this , just drive along. Then he took a screw driver and did some adjust so that air can come out, but we cannot change the direction or stop the flow)
Old 8th September 2010, 19:12   #36
BHPian

Such a nice mechanic. Wish most SA in ASC's are like this.
Old 8th September 2010, 22:28   #37
evo
BHPian

Trucks reached Malda today. So hopefully tomorrow it`ll be at the workshop.
Old 13th September 2010, 00:10   #38
BHPian

Evo .. any update from Service Center. Your car's condition in really unfortunate. Please let us know the status.
Old 13th September 2010, 00:13   #39
evo
BHPian

@Shivag

Well, the car`s finally reached Kolkata. Due to Eid and Ganesh Chaturthi and three four hundred more festivals, the guys will only have a proper look tomorrow. I intend to have a dekho on the way to work. Will update then.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:05   #40
evo
BHPian

Saw the car today finally. It was a sad sight. I dont understand much about engines so I dont know how that was. Not that it mattered cos the front end was totally taken apart, bonnet lying at one end, bumpers at another.

However superficial (pun intended) I may sound, what made me cringe was the state of the interiors. The nice Nappa leather was all grimy and the carpets were matted with dirt. I`ve never seen any car that belonged to me or someone I knew in this state.

It was really bad. Anyways, the chaps at the workshop looked like they had things under control. Parts neatly laid out, block in a carton for transport to the lathe and so on.

Work starts tomorrow, estimated delivery date 14th October (when Durga Puja begins here). He gave me a rough estimate.

As per Monsieur Mechanique, the car will drive till 300,000 KM after he gives it some TLC (and some engine oil , I presume). I`m a man of modest expectations when it comes to engine trouble, so I may not go the distance on his word, let alone 300 K clicks.

Fingers crossed.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:12   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Evo, i have seen stock Elantra CRDI's cross 200,000 kms(my friend). My own car has done 140,000 kms by now. My suggestion is stay away from the tuning box this time, even in the stock form the Elantra offers very good performance.

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th September 2010 at 21:13.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:15   #42
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this. Were you noticing oil consumption or blue smoke from the exhaust? Seems to me like a head gasket issue.
Old 15th September 2010, 14:09   #43
evo
BHPian

So, here are the pics from the workshop. Seems very bad. Guy says he may have to change the injector nozzle thats very pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Evo, i have seen stock Elantra CRDI's cross 200,000 kms(my friend). My own car has done 140,000 kms by now. My suggestion is stay away from the tuning box this time, even in the stock form the Elantra offers very good performance.
Have heard of many miler Elantras too. Is the Petes box really at fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Just saw this. Were you noticing oil consumption or blue smoke from the exhaust? Seems to me like a head gasket issue.
Yup, lots of oil consumption and lots of blue smoke.

Just realised that the second picture is pointless due to poor quality. Apologies.
Attached Thumbnails
Elantra Crdi 76000 KM Engine Block Replacement???-img00255201009141751.jpg  

Elantra Crdi 76000 KM Engine Block Replacement???-img00254201009141751.jpg  

Last edited by evo : 15th September 2010 at 14:22. Reason: Just realised that the second picture is pointless due to poor quality. Apologies.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:52   #44
BHPian

Sad to see the condition of the car. Hope to see it back in to what it was known to be.

But tell me something, how come the car suddenly started to have all these problems. Didn't anything crop up previously?

Last edited by NOS Power : 16th September 2010 at 11:53.
Old 16th September 2010, 13:08   #45
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Sad to see the condition of the car. Hope to see it back in to what it was known to be.

But tell me something, how come the car suddenly started to have all these problems. Didn't anything crop up previously?
It started with poor pickup and blue smoke. Then progressively worsened.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed