Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2014, 08:08   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Two thumbs up for the mileage you put on your car and the detailed thread!

'bd'
Thank you for your compliments drsingh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Congratulations on reaching the TWO milestones. I would like to hear from you, the reaction of the service centre guys after they see the numbers on the ODO. I wish and pray that you may continue to have trouble-free ownership for many more miles and many more years.
Thank you for your wishes JoseVijay. Well for the last several years I have been getting my car serviced from FNG (Friendly Neighbourhood Garage) and he has seen many cars with high mileage figures so this won't be a surprise for him. But had it been the authorized service centre then they would have surely been awestruck, how can a car, which supposedly has many niggling issues can run trouble free for so long. My FNG owner had once told me that he has a customer whose Indica had clocked more than 7 lakh kms without any engine work
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 13:27   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I am planning for the 150K service over this weekend. It would be a regular oil change service.
Just now coming back from my FNG. Finished the 150K service in 2 hours flat. Didn't go for the shock absorber change. Total bill came to Rs 2,200/- paid Rs 2,200/- (Rs 20/- discount ). Break-up of the charges mentioned below.

Tata Indica DLX - 150,000 kms & beyond-150k-service-charges-breakup.jpg

Since car was spitting some smoke during morning starts, I had an inclination that either one or two glow plugs might have failed. When checked by the mechanic, indeed one GP was gone, promptly replaced. After the change the engine sounds sweet while starting.

Also the RH rear door central lock was not working. Mechanic checked the electrical connections and those were fine. He then suspected the electric motor/plunger unit. When that was taken out and directly connected to battery, the plunger was getting actuated and moving to and fro. A new plunger was bought form the nearby electrical shop. However when the old plunger was refitted, it started working perfectly fine. I then told Harish that I don't want the new plunger and he can either keep it or return, to which he readily obliged.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 16:31   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though for my daily office runs, I have no complaints whatsoever from my car. It is only when I have to take my family of 6 on long outstation trips, I feel the need of a bigger and powerful car. By the end of this year, I am sure my Indica will get a big brother in the form of a used Innova else it would be bid farewell if a new Ertiga or Mobilio wins my heart and my wallet.

Six more months and you will get the answer at this very same place.
Folks, not sure if you noticed the change in my signature, but the "big brother" has come home earlier than expected. Yes, I was lucky to get hold of a pre-worshipped Innova, which I brought home yesterday. Some of the related discussion and pictures can be found here on the "Used car price check" thread ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hread-662.html

Got a good deal on the sparsely run Innova, Feb-2009 registered, 7 seater, V model, 50.9K on the odo was brought home for 7.4 lacs. The Indica is still with me, but I may soon dispose it off, if get a good hold of the Innova. As of now the Innova has displaced the poor Indica from its reserved parking and have now made it stand on the road outside the building premises .
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 17:31   #319
BHPian

Quote:

Got a good deal on the sparsely run Innova, Feb-2009 registered, 7 seater, V model, 50.9K on the odo was brought home for 7.4 lacs. The Indica is still with me, but I may soon dispose it off, if get a good hold of the Innova. As of now the Innova has displaced the poor Indica from its reserved parking and have now made it stand on the road outside the building premises .
Congratulations on your new buy! Having seen the way you have maintained and looked after the Indica I am sure the Innova will give you many more years of service!

Have a safe and great drive!

God Bless!
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 17:57   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, not sure if you noticed the change in my signature, but the "big brother" has come home earlier than expected. Yes, I was lucky to get hold of a pre-worshipped Innova, which I brought home yesterday. Some of the related discussion and pictures can be found here on the "Used car price check" thread ----> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...hread-662.html

Congratulations!! Saw the Innova pics on other thread, give it a good interior and exterior cleaning session and it will be close to new. Seems to be a good buy. Hope you did a check on service history, insurance claims etc? All the best with Innova.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 18:07   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, not sure if you noticed the change in my signature, but the "big brother" has come home earlier than expected.
Congratulations for buying a highly reliable machine. If you could squeeze out 150 k kms from the humble Indica I wonder how much more kms you can run your new workhorse.

Do post a comparison of the feel factor, suspension and power differences noticed when you upgrade from an Indica to a Innova!

Wish you many more miles of Happy and safe Driving.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 18:09   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
If you could squeeze out 150 k kms from the humble Indica ..
last I had heard, our Aug-2000 Indica (pre-V2) had run 2.18 L ..
A relative's Indigo has crossed the 1.9L mark

These cars can run ..

Last edited by condor : 9th November 2014 at 18:13.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2014, 19:15   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
last I had heard, our Aug-2000 Indica (pre-V2) had run 2.18 L ..
A relative's Indigo has crossed the 1.9L mark

These cars can run ..
And did the engines undergo any rebuilds or its just untouched?

Nice to hear these figures, although I have heard figures of as high as 3 lakh plus kms but not from known resources.

I think my conclusion was right before I proceeded to go further with a Vista TDI that the 475 IDI engine is a reliable engine for sure.

I get a city mileage of 13.5-14 kmpl and highway of 17-18.5 kmpl under different driving situations.

The one thing which I am not happy with is there is a lot of rattling coming from the engine compartment especially at low rpms which was not present when the engine was new.

Maintenance of these engines is also cheap and simple.
For eg Rs 1400-1600 for 4 Glow plugs where as Rs 3100-3500 for our National Engine.

Also I heard this engine is more tolerable to bad fuel quality. I have read of injector issues with Figo's diesel engine very early in their lifecycle.
Old 9th November 2014, 21:17   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Congratulations on your new buy! Having seen the way you have maintained and looked after the Indica I am sure the Innova will give you many more years of service!

Have a safe and great drive!

God Bless!
Thank you shashi63 for your wishes. I like workhorses rather than flashy designs and feature laden cars. That was the major factor going for the Innova, albeit used. The well known added advantages of the Innova, its bullet proof reliability and excellent service/support made me fall for it. It had almost made up my mind to go for the XUV-W6 (was also working towards accumulating 13.75 lacs towards its on-road price). However when I went through the initial 10 pages of the XUV niggles thread, I got a bit uncomfortable and at the same time this Innova ad flashed in OLX. I didn't lose any time after that in closing the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
Congratulations!! Saw the Innova pics on other thread, give it a good interior and exterior cleaning session and it will be close to new. Seems to be a good buy. Hope you did a check on service history, insurance claims etc? All the best with Innova.
Thank you amit1234singla. Yes, the car servicing and interior and exterior cleaning will be lined up by end of this month. By that time I will get to know if there are other issues/ rattles/ squeaks in the car. Well to be honest, I didn't go through any of the service records. The car owner was honest enough to confess that the 50K service was due and he only did the oil and filter change from outside. So in any case I will have to get this 50K service done from DSK Toyota. I asked if the car has met any accidents and he said no. I have not verified though, simply had the good faith in him.

Quote:
Congratulations for buying a highly reliable machine. If you could squeeze out 150 k kms from the humble Indica I wonder how much more kms you can run your new workhorse.

Do post a comparison of the feel factor, suspension and power differences noticed when you upgrade from an Indica to a Innova!

Wish you many more miles of Happy and safe Driving.
Thank you amit_purohit20. Right now, I don't know how much mileage I am going to clock on the Innova few years down the line, but one thing is for sure, it won't be sitting idle in the garage for any of the week ends. If I start using it for my daily office commutes then it will clock 300+ kms every week.

Comparing an Indica to an Innova would be like comparing apples to oranges. However since you are insisting i would quickly comment on the three points that you have mentioned:
  • feel factor--->It is huge inside-out. The high seating position, commanding road view, other road users respecting you all these things need to be experienced to be believed. Chugging around this car is city is a cakewalk.
  • suspension---->This will be tested tomorrow, when I take it to the office. On the 32km stretch from my home to office, I know each and every hump, pot hole and road undulation. Will share my comments in a day or two on how the two cars behave on the same road, with the same load.
  • power differences---->There is a world of difference. Driveability of the Innova is simply astounding, no other car that I know or have driven can even come close to the Innova. A light tap on the "A" pedal and the car sprints forward, mind you this is irrespective of the load it is carrying. In city driving is a boon. I am yet to test triple digit speeds. Have heard that the Innova gasps for breath above 100, but need to test that.
Quote:
The one thing which I am not happy with is there is a lot of rattling coming from the engine compartment especially at low rpms which was not present when the engine was new.
Get the engine mounts checked. I don't hear any such engine rattle, even after 10.5 years and 151K kms.

Quote:
Maintenance of these engines is also cheap and simple.
For eg Rs 1400-1600 for 4 Glow plugs where as Rs 3100-3500 for our National Engine.
. Why just the glow plugs. Indica's fuel filter costs just Rs 125 (250 for a set of two). Multijet's costs a whopping s 2000/-

Last edited by AutoIndian : 9th November 2014 at 21:23.
Old 9th November 2014, 21:35   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also I heard this engine is more tolerable to bad fuel quality. I have read of injector issues with Figo's diesel engine very early in their lifecycle.
Engine oil, timing belt+bearings, drive belts- everything cheaper. Also, easy/cheap to service the injectors.

As for the figo's diesel engine, it is not the injectors that have issues, but it is the injector copper washer/seals that give away. Apparently Ford has not corrected the issue that which is persisting right from when this engine was born.
Old 11th November 2014, 12:08   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
  • suspension---->This will be tested tomorrow, when I take it to the office. On the 32km stretch from my home to office, I know each and every hump, pot hole and road undulation. Will share my comments in a day or two on how the two cars behave on the same road, with the same load.
Yesterday took the car to office and back, almost 64kms to and fro. The ride quality is simply awesome. The medium/large potholes and bumps which would torture my Indica (and my body in turn) are simple gobbled up by the Innova. There is a universe of difference. There is no doubt, a major difference in the suspension of these two cars, but what makes the matter worse for the Indica is that throughout its 10.5 years of existence, I have changed just the front left strut (shock absorber). The right front and both the rear ones are still original factory fitted. It was high time I got it changed. Whoever is going to buy my Indica, the first thing I am going to tell him is to overhaul the suspension and replace the rear tyres. I am going to reduce that much amount from my asking price.
Old 11th November 2014, 20:03   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey AutoIndian, congratulations on the Innova! I hope you'll have a wonderful thread for it just like the beloved IndicaDLX as well. Wish you many unlimited & safe miles with it.

As for the 475 TDI - it really is a gem of an engine. It will take anything thrown at it. Poor maintenance, adulterated fuel, dusty air - just name it. It's I think the cheapest diesel engine to maintain with a decent performance. When I had walked in to the showroom in 2010, it was to get a Vista TDI Aqua. Sadly for me, Pune suddenly got listed as Tier 1 & TDI being a BS3 was not available to personal registration anymore. So I had to opt for the MJD.

I hope the Indica meets an owner just as good as you who'll look after her well in the years to come.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 08:43   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey AutoIndian, congratulations on the Innova! I hope you'll have a wonderful thread for it just like the beloved IndicaDLX as well. Wish you many unlimited & safe miles with it.

I hope the Indica meets an owner just as good as you who'll look after her well in the years to come.
Thank you Reinhard for your wishes. Yes, starting the Innova thread is one of the agenda items, just need to spend some more time with the car to notice the finer details.

I too sincerely hope that the I Indica goes to a caring pair of hands. Now in her sunset years she needs more care than ever.
Old 12th November 2014, 10:10   #329
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the Innova.She sure is a reliable workhorse . I am quite confident if you can drive the indica for 1.5 you can extract more from the Innova.
I too live in Pune and in search for a good FNG.Could you please recommend me a good FNG to service my 47k run swift diesel.
Old 12th November 2014, 11:04   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Congrats for the Innova.She sure is a reliable workhorse . I am quite confident if you can drive the indica for 1.5 you can extract more from the Innova.
I too live in Pune and in search for a good FNG.Could you please recommend me a good FNG to service my 47k run swift diesel.
Thank you for your wishes rakesh_r. You are absolutely right, I wanted to replace my old workhorse with another bigger and more reliable one, hence there was no other option but the Innova. I had almost made my mind to go for a brand new XUV, but from nowhere this Innova ad popped up and I didn't lose much time in closing this deal. I am looking to reach the one tonne (100K) figure on Innova in 2 years from now and then reach the double tonne in another 3 years, lets see how things turn up.

Not sure where you are staying. I stay in Chinchwad and for the last 50K kms I have been getting my car serviced from the FNG called Venus Auto in MIDC Chinchwad. You can refer the complete details in a separate thread that I had created 3 years back ---> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ar-garage.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks