Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 14:23   #31
BHPian

@hemanth:
do keep reporting the FE. I too am getting around 9 in city traffic. But earlier reviews have shown that the 1.4L engine returns aroung 15 km/pl after 1st service, and atleast 12 to 13 km/pl before 1st service. Someone pointed me out the 1.2 engine is not the most fuel efficient one. But I was of the opinion that smaller engines are more efficient bcos they do not produce too much of power to boast around. Correct me someone if I am wrong. Share your experiences on this one.
Old 5th October 2010, 14:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

it takes time to show the correct FE. the average FE calculations will be more accurate if we keep filling the tanks to the full everytime.
Even though i always fill the tank fully, before getting my full tank for the first time for my new car, i actually filled small quantities(5 and 10 ltrs) because i couldn't reach a shell station(AFAP I avoid other brands of fuel). this has made the calculations by the computer inaccurate. as i mentioned before, when i took my car, it was 6.9kmpl. now gradually its come up to 9kmpl.

friends on tbhp and outside have told me that 1.2 and 1.4 have the same FE. you are right in saying that 1.2 must be more efficient than 1.4 and it is actually the fact. but the differences are +/-2kms which we hardly notice and this varies from car to car.

Its not a worry yet. this will take time to stabilise.

PS: i have sent a PM to you...please respond
Old 5th October 2010, 22:30   #33
BHPian

@hemanth.

Right friend, the FE figures will improve for sure, let us hope for the best. I have mailed u the manual, pls check.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:09   #34
BHPian

Congrats Hemanth on your new Punto.Actually after researching for long and lots of TD of other cars in the segment I have finally zeroed at Punto 1.2 active as that is the best in the sub 5 lac bracket.Expecing to buy my new car next week so thought should take a final advice from you and all the proud owners.I know you have already commented on such question before and i still in dilema would still ask you the same question...so would you recommend the car ?
Old 6th October 2010, 12:27   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

The only compromise in the 1.2-if i may say so-is the power.
service part-personally I will say that no service centre is good or bad-its just the number of service centres.
I would surely recommend this car with whatever minimun criteria you have given
Old 6th October 2010, 15:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
But I was of the opinion that smaller engines are more efficient bcos they do not produce too much of power to boast around. Correct me someone if I am wrong. Share your experiences on this one.

Smaller is not equal to better fuel economy always. Whatever the size of the engine, it should be capable of delivering the optimum power to the car with minimal wastage. Which is why a 1.5L Honda petrol engine is more fuel efficient than a 1.4L Ford petrol engine (as on the Ikon Flair)

Last edited by v12 : 6th October 2010 at 18:10.
Old 6th October 2010, 23:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Smaller is not equal to better fuel economy always. Whatever the size of the engine, it should be capable of delivering the optimum power to the car with minimal wastage. Which is why a 1.5L Honda petrol engine is more fuel efficient than a 1.4L Ford petrol engine (as on the Ikon Flair)
Ya, that was the doubt in my mind. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
Congrats Hemanth on your new Punto.Actually after researching for long and lots of TD of other cars in the segment I have finally zeroed at Punto 1.2 active as that is the best in the sub 5 lac bracket.Expecing to buy my new car next week so thought should take a final advice from you and all the proud owners.I know you have already commented on such question before and i still in dilema would still ask you the same question...so would you recommend the car ?
Harry, go ahead and buy it without any second thoughts. Lots of people will be saying lot of thing negative about the Punto, thats all bcos many many people are not even 10% aware of wot the car is capable of. I have recently owned a Bossa Nove White Punto Active 1.2 Petrol. Do go through my thread, you will have company
All the best, my thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2-petrol.html

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2010 at 08:23.
arpanjha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2010, 11:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I noticed the second good feature-the fuel lid is on the drivers side. Since My earlier car was a 800, I like this very much since the cap is visible in the driver side ORVM if by chance it is left open.

Really? I have never been able to see the fuel lid in the right ORVM because the side of the car curves inwards at the back. You will only be able to see it if it is left wide open. Very often, I have noticed the petrol pump attendants having difficulty in closing the lid, so I suggest you pay close attention to this.

I told her to relax since Punto automatically locks after the doors are closed and the key is taken out. Very useful for people like me who forget to lock.

I did not know about this feature! Mine is a 1.3 EP. If this is true then it is indeed great!

The 60:40 splitting-I knew that it was 60:40 splittable, but finding the lever was slightly difficult and once I saw the manual I found it and it was so easy to do that. Another best thing in this was the seat could be folded two times. for added space. While folding, the seatbelts obstruct a bit.

Can you please tell me where exactly is the lever to pull down the seats? I have not found it yet, and I don't really want to go searching in the manual.

When there is an emergency braking, the emrgency indicators turn on automatically. Though I didn't try this out

Another feature I did not know about, though I haven't yet had to do any emergency braking. Any idea as to what exactly is FIAT's definition of emergency braking?

Cooling takes time especially at the rear (This is not a factor in 1.4 since it has rear AC vents).

Oh! I thought all Puntos had rear vents in the floor below the front seats, irrespective of variant.
Congrats to you and wifey, Hemanth for such a wonderful anniversary present! No better hatch this side of 10L, IMO. My comments are in bold.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryB View Post
I know you have already commented on such question before and i still in dilema would still ask you the same question...so would you recommend the car ?
Hi Harry. I was in the same confusion but all my confusions were gone when I read the initial 2 pages of this thread. This reviewer is one of the most knowledgeable person and auto enthusiast:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...punto-mjd.html

Don't worry. You will not find another car with such a good ride quality and comfort at this price.
Old 7th October 2010, 21:33   #40
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...punto-mjd.html

Don't worry. You will not find another car with such a good ride quality and comfort at this price.
+1.

When someone asks me about the reviews of Punto, I just redirect them to this thread.

Hats off to sidindica for such wonderful poems.

Some more links.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2094564-post82.html
Old 8th October 2010, 10:04   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumobom4 View Post
I noticed the second good feature-the fuel lid is on the drivers side. Since My earlier car was a 800, I like this very much since the cap is visible in the driver side ORVM if by chance it is left open.

Really? I have never been able to see the fuel lid in the right ORVM because the side of the car curves inwards at the back. You will only be able to see it if it is left wide open. Very often, I have noticed the petrol pump attendants having difficulty in closing the lid, so I suggest you pay close attention to this.

I told her to relax since Punto automatically locks after the doors are closed and the key is taken out. Very useful for people like me who forget to lock.

I did not know about this feature! Mine is a 1.3 EP. If this is true then it is indeed great!

The 60:40 splitting-I knew that it was 60:40 splittable, but finding the lever was slightly difficult and once I saw the manual I found it and it was so easy to do that. Another best thing in this was the seat could be folded two times. for added space. While folding, the seatbelts obstruct a bit.

Can you please tell me where exactly is the lever to pull down the seats? I have not found it yet, and I don't really want to go searching in the manual.

When there is an emergency braking, the emrgency indicators turn on automatically. Though I didn't try this out

Another feature I did not know about, though I haven't yet had to do any emergency braking. Any idea as to what exactly is FIAT's definition of emergency braking?

Cooling takes time especially at the rear (This is not a factor in 1.4 since it has rear AC vents).

Oh! I thought all Puntos had rear vents in the floor below the front seats, irrespective of variant.
1. You are right, only when it was left wide open, i could see the lid in my ORVM. In fuel stations, many a times in my earlier cars, i have pulled the lid release lever 2-3 times...just to confirm it fits really open. I can avoid that in this. I don't know...it might be happening just for me.

2. I had a check with this. it sure did lock. but when the key was still in the keyhole, it didn't. I don't know if there is any setting to do this.

3. the seat release lever is almost at the extreme top sides of the seat. almost attached to the body. pull it frontward and the seats release. after the first fold lift it and the seat folds vertically. emotion and epk has 60:40 split seats also.

4. emergency braking lights is one thing punto has not advertised at all.
when there is hard braking at high speeds its considered as emergency braking. figo advertises this feature.

5. yes rear vents are present...fellow team-bhpians pointed out the location to me. even this is one thing others advertise(vento,polo). fiat does not.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 8th October 2010 at 10:05. Reason: quote was not made properly
Old 8th October 2010, 14:54   #42
BHPian

Congrats on the car and it is looking stunning in the white, great location for the pics too. Glad to see more 1.2s coming to T-BHP, it's a great VFM proposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
2. I had a check with this. it sure did lock. but when the key was still in the keyhole, it didn't. I don't know if there is any setting to do this.

When the car moves and crosses 20kmph, it auto locks. Also, when you get out of the car along with the key and forget to lock it, it auto locks after sometime. When the key is in the keyhole, it does not, this is to prevent getting locked out with key inside the car.

4. emergency braking lights is one thing punto has not advertised at all.
when there is hard braking at high speeds its considered as emergency braking. figo advertises this feature.

4 months into the ownership and never knew this was present in Punto. Figo advertises this feature quite prominently and I was quite impressed by this feature too when I was checking out Figo.

5. yes rear vents are present...fellow team-bhpians pointed out the location to me. even this is one thing others advertise(vento,polo). fiat does not.

Rear vents are present in 1.2 as well if I'm not wrong. i20 advertises this so well.
My thoughts in bold. It's sad that FIAT is not advertising all the cool little features of the Punto. In fact, their marketing is really poor compared to other manufacturers. It seems like more than FIAT India, it is us who are genuinely hoping for FIAT to sell more cars here.

Last edited by arun687 : 8th October 2010 at 14:58.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

@arun687- Are you guys sure that Punto auto locks after sometime if key has been removed but the owner forgets to lock it with his remote locking and walks away?

I think Punto auto locks when the owner had unlocked it but did not open the door. It locks itself again after 30secs.
Old 8th October 2010, 16:41   #44
BHPian

^
I think it does. Will confirm this when I get time and update it. Meanwhile can anyone else confirm the same?
Old 8th October 2010, 18:16   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
Congrats on the car and it is looking stunning in the white, great location for the pics too. Glad to see more 1.2s coming to T-BHP, it's a great VFM proposition.

My thoughts in bold. It's sad that FIAT is not advertising all the cool little features of the Punto. In fact, their marketing is really poor compared to other manufacturers. It seems like more than FIAT India, it is us who are genuinely hoping for FIAT to sell more cars here.
Well, it sure makes for a nice ownership of our Italian beauties. Always nice to know something new about the easter eggs hidden in there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks