Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 13:43   #16
BHPian

Re: 2010 Maruti Wagon R CNG- 7000 Kms review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Hey syravi, hearty congratulations on the sensible buy you made. Wishing you unlimited safe and happy miles with her. And a really good review too. As you said - unbiased.

Just a couple of things I'd like to know more about - out of curiosity...
>The guy who fill CNG at the station said that the filling from the petrol lid (CNG gas is filled at the same point from petrol) is safer

>More gas is packed in the 9 kg cylinder than a 10 kg cylinder because of the NGV model

Can you elaborate on these two points please? Any idea about the "WHY" / "HOW" aspects?

As for your "forced charges" at MASS, get used to that. Typical with a lot of Maruti service stations. The best way around is, specifically mention on the job card that for any modifications/replacements etc. you MUST be called and requested for a go ahead. And that for anything done without your consensus, you'll not be baring the charges.
Do look out if they change "bushings". Ask for the used ones and inspect them. Many a times they simply replace bushes in suspension etc. just for the money, and the used ones are actually as good as new.

Happy Wagon-ing!

Cheers!
>The inlet port for CNG in the New Wagon R is located where conventional petrol is filled. So it is not near a hot engine but at a comparitively cooler location and hence safer
>The NGV nozzle used to fill CNG has a larger dia perhaps. The result is that it packs more gas into the car at the same pressure than the conventional nozzles
Old 10th March 2011, 13:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi syravi, Congratulations on your new WagonR. Drive safe and take good care of her (use turtle wax every two month and she will look good even after many years). Please complete your report by adding some pictures of the car.

Besides this i will suggest you to use AC for 3-5 min every month even in winter season. This will help circulating oil within AC components and prevent rusting and leakage. Using Heater doesn’t affect the mileage as heater works on coolant heat.
Avoid wheel rotation/alignment job from Maruti people as they charge very steep amount for this. Get this work done form outside tyre shop.
Ran the AC today based on your suggestion. But the tyres will have to be roated at MASS becuause of warranty issues, I guess

Will try to get the turtle polish too.

Thanks
Old 10th March 2011, 15:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
But the tyres will have to be roated at MASS becuause of warranty issues, I guess

Will try to get the turtle polish too.

Thanks
I don't think that rotation/alignment from outside will void the warranty. Other members can confirm this. Also buy only WAX and not the polish as it contains abrasives which is not recommended on new cars.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks,

Just completed 7000 kms of the new Wagon R. I purchased the model in November 14, 2010. It had a factory fitted CNG.

While deciding between Wagon R and Alto K10, I did extensive research on the net and found Team BHP the most helpful community. In fact I joined to decide which car to buy.

It's time to return the favor to all those trying to analyze cars.

Here's my review. I would like to say, I have tried to be completely unbiased. I know many people who after buying something tend to justify the purchase at all cost. I am not that type. So it is not a fanatic's review but genuine.

What this review won’t cover is the effectiveness of AC since I haven’t used it in the winter months.

My observations:

The CNG experience
The Car's CNG is definitely miles above the other venturi fitted CNG kits that can be fitted as an after purchase. Just like the company claims you don't feel the difference by switching from petrol to CNG. The CNG changeover is automatic, computer controlled and depending on heat and power requirements the CNG mode can switch to petrol automatically (I haven’t experienced this changeover until now). The joy of CNG drive in the new Wagon R is something I can feel because I have had a retro fitted CNG on my Maruti 800. It felt very heavy and whenever I switched to petrol in my Maruti it felt like my car is like a brand new car. Not so in the new Wagon R. Driving in the CNG fold feels like driving in petrol mode.

Expensive but worth it
The CNG kit from the company is about 70,000 costlier than a Lx model with MASS CNG retro fit option. I was forced to go for Lxi because it is not fitted in any other model. The salesman said that their is no comparison between the factory fitted and the retro fitted CNG options and suggested I should go for this option. That he was not pushing an expensive product is clear from the following things:
>They did not have a factory fitted model currently and it required a waiting period of 2 months
>They earned more from retrofitted cars
>The guy who fill CNG at the station said that the filling from the petrol lid (CNG gas is filled at the same point from petrol) is safer
>More gas is packed in the 9 kg cylinder than a 10 kg cylinder because of the NGV model
>It gives more mileage than other retro fitted kits, according to the guy who fills CNG at the pump station I am a regular
>Changeover from petrol to CNG is quick and happens in about a minute. It is shorter if the car has run long on CNG and has been stopped for some reason

Mileage
I keep a track of petrol and CNG costs in a dairy. I always have about 600 Rs of petrol and top it immediately when it falls to one notch indicator. So totaling the money spent on petrol and CNG I got a mileage of about 1.15 per kilometer with AC. This included petrol used for starting. I have seen many people who do not have petrol at all in their cars. But this is a bad practice. Apart from getting struck, it damages the engine. So I always have both the options
No need to drive 1,000 kms on petrol
I was told I can drive straight on CNG mode. Had it been a retro fitted mode, I would have been asked by the distributor to drive at least 1,000 kms to check if everything is alright with the car. This saved me 4,500 rupees
4th year extended Guarantee
I have a 4th year extended warranty on the car. This is only available for factory fitted cars. If you retro-fit it from where you purchase the car, the company guarantee gets void. You are at the mercy of your distributor for 2 years. I hear they do honor their warranties though because they charge you almost double from what it would cost outside.
CNG vs Diesel
Seeing the queues at CNG stations, I was tempted to go for the diesel options as it was easier to refill. I drive nearly 80 kms a day. I am happy I took the CNG options instead of Diesel. Saving a lot of money and have the car I love. The diesel option was available only in Swift which I don’t like as much as Wagon R. The maximum drive that it can do on a full cylinder is 190-200 kms, without AC. So I need to fill it after every two trips to my office (160 kms). Or I will have to drive on petrol mode.
Road View & Maneuverability
Wagon R is surprisingly easy to maneuver and park. I had doubts of A pillar views. But in Wagon R the fron, road view is better than many other cars. It has a wide screen and the pillar is more towards the extremes than in the middle. You have to get into an Estilo to know what I am saying. Estilo’s front pillars block the road view much more dangerously than Wagon R’s
Safe Speed
I felt that the Wagon R feels safe at 80-90 kmph. Beyond this it looks a bit shaky. I am not a fast driver. I drive it around 60 kmph which is my safe speed
Driving with Heater on
Driving with heater during the winter months didn’t strain the engine one bit. If it affects the mileage (I don’t know) then my figures should take in view this too.
Thin Sheet metal work
Wagon R’s weakest thing is the sheet metal work. It uses a very thin sheet metal compared to older Wagon R and Maruti. At places, esp near the door, the material sags down in a funny way that makes it look like a plastic toy. If you are a sheet metal freak, I suggest you check other cars. Even Santro’s sheet metal seemed more solid
Bumpers
Once again the bumpers look flimsy. The accessory vendor refused to put the flag staff which I wanted for estimation saying that a child could bring the bumper down if he pulled at it. He also refused to affix the flag pole in the crevice between the bonnet and body for the same reason
Space
While the car looks spacious, there is no space to keep anything. The space over the dashboard slides to the windscreen and everything starts slipping on the dashboard. Anything I keep on my rear seats falls down even if I brake lightly. The seats don’t have ribs that can prevent the fall of things. The boot is practically gone with the CNG cylinder sitting on it.
Indicators
Wagon R indicator don’t make enough noise inside the car. The indicator lights on the dashboard are not bright enough. They don’t fall back to the neutral zone when the car turns. And from my height they hide behind the steering wheel. There have been several times people have pointed at my ‘continue to blink’ indicators. Now I have fallen into a stupid habit of checking the dashboard again and again.
How it took a hit
I turned in confusion from left to right and was hit by an Accent from behind. My bumper took a small dent and my right mud flap was gone. We had a polite tiff and realized that both drivers were on error. The bumper kept entangling the tyre when I tried to start the car and I had to distort it a bit to reach home. The accent’s bonnet hood looked distorted and his bumper too seemed to have loosened. In the evening I got the bumper repaired for 50 bucks. Could not get a single flap – they only offer a set at 340. Will try to get a single piece.
Engine noise
The new Wagon R engine is quite noiseless and smooth so far
Seating comfort
Wagon R ride is very spacey and comfortable. Because of the height, getting in and out is very easy and comfortable
Styling
Wagon R gives the feel of an SUV. Only the thin sheet metal work is a joke. So it is a paper tiger, I guess
Best Color
I have a feeling that every car looks the grandest in one color. I did not want the Grey option that I landed with. But from the comments of others and the observations I have made, this color does the maximum justice to the model. Not because I have it, I really feel it. And to begin with I was forced to take the color as otherwise I would have had to wait for 2 months.
Service costs so far
I paid 1150 for the second service cost. 490 for wheel rotations and the rest on some chemical that declogs the fuel injectors. Plus Service taxes. It was a forced expense on me. My car runs on CNG most of the time so the chemical was probably not required. They did not ask my permission just added it and handed me the bill.
My conclusion
Wagon R is overall a good car but the interiors could have been more intelligently designed – flatter dashboard, ribbed seats etc for accommodating stuff. It is worth its price.
Ask me what I missed and what you need to know
If you have any queries you can send me a personal message or mail me at syravi@yahoo.com. I would be more than happy to reply to your queries.
Hi went in for a wagonr CNG as well. feels great to drive. i hear however a muted click (clearly audible from inside) when the engine switchws to CNG. does it happen to your car also?? do reply or email-- mauliklal2@gmail.com
Old 18th April 2011, 13:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONESTabdul View Post
Hi went in for a wagonr CNG as well. feels great to drive. i hear however a muted click (clearly audible from inside) when the engine switchws to CNG. does it happen to your car also?? do reply or email-- mauliklal2@gmail.com
The click happens on changeover. It is in my car too and maybe the sound of a relay or something. Not to worry about
Old 18th April 2011, 13:16   #21
BHPian

My Wagon R CNG completed 10,000 Kms: AC Report

Hi folks. I clocked in 9,800 Kms and the third service is just round the corner. Have started using AC and its cooling is excellant. To begion with, gear 1 & 2 are a bit of a drag, especially in city and your pressure in the accelerator has to be harder. In very slow, traffic conditions mileage goes for a toss when you use AC because the car runs in kms but the AC consumes fuel based on the time it runs and not on the mileage. So on a very bad jam that I faced all along Pochanpura to Punjabi Bagh, I had to crawl at a snails pace and ended up using 160 Rs worth of gas on 90 Kms. But seriously this is not a statement of the Car's Ac mileage, just the traffic conditions. Compare it to a hypothetical case when you run the Ac while the car remains standing. So in this situation the car will use all of gas and yet move just zero kilometers. So if you have to use the AC anyway dont think in terms of miles covered but the comfort it gives in the hours you battle with the traffic.

In this horrible ride, not for once did the Wagon's performance dip nor did the AC give any trouble. The only dip was in the pocket.

The car continues to give excellent performance. My earlier thought that the car has a safer road view is mirrored in the Wagon R's latest adverts which make the same claim: About it having a safer road view!

Already getting calls from Competent where I got the two services done and Saya who sold me the car. Maybe for them this is the crucial switch over: If they get me know they get me for the rest of car's life.
Old 18th April 2011, 15:36   #22
BHPian

Quote:
>The inlet port for CNG in the New Wagon R is located where conventional petrol is filled. So it is not near a hot engine but at a comparitively cooler location and hence safer
>The NGV nozzle used to fill CNG has a larger dia perhaps. The result is that it packs more gas into the car at the same pressure than the conventional nozzles
Congrats on the car, syravi.

I wish the cng SX4 too had the ngv near the petrol inlet. The Waggie will have fewer scratches for sure.

NGV in theory is more efficient, so it is supposed to fill up your tank quicker, however in practice not all filling machines have ngv, so you end up queuing up only in those lines that have one and that adds to the time. But it is getting better.
Old 1st August 2011, 13:22   #23
BHPian

I got delivery of B.Blue Wagon R CNG yesterday. At night I got CNG filled in it and it was showing all 4 green lights while coming back home which is around 2 kms from CNG station. When I started the car in morning, it was showing 3 lights and when I reached office which is around 35 kms away, it showed 2 green lights. Can please confirm if this is normal or Do I have to get it checked for leakage?

Thanks !
Old 1st August 2011, 13:50   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
I got delivery of B.Blue Wagon R CNG yesterday. At night I got CNG filled in it and it was showing all 4 green lights while coming back home which is around 2 kms from CNG station. When I started the car in morning, it was showing 3 lights and when I reached office which is around 35 kms away, it showed 2 green lights. Can please confirm if this is normal or Do I have to get it checked for leakage?

Thanks !
For first CNG top-up, this is normal. But, w.e.f. from the second refill, if you are careful enough I bet you can get around 20 kmpkg, with AC use, in normal traffic (based on personal experience). The mileage will be on the higher side if you do not use the AC or use it less the mileage can increase to 22-23 easily.

I travel 180-200 kms for Rs.250 cng (~8.5 kg) with mixed AC usage.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:26   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
For first CNG top-up, this is normal. But, w.e.f. from the second refill, if you are careful enough I bet you can get around 20 kmpkg, with AC use, in normal traffic (based on personal experience). The mileage will be on the higher side if you do not use the AC or use it less the mileage can increase to 22-23 easily.

I travel 180-200 kms for Rs.250 cng (~8.5 kg) with mixed AC usage.
Thanks Cardeep for your comments ! I travel from west Delhi to Noida, mostly at odd hours to avoid traffic. Lets hope I also start getting the average that your mentioned. I shall see if I can get the CNG refill done today to check how much CNG it takes and understand behaviour of lights showing CNG. Do we have any other way to check how much CNG is present in cylinder? I remember seeing one gauge in boot where CNG cylinder is installed, not sure of the purpose of that.
Old 1st August 2011, 16:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Cardeep for your comments ! I travel from west Delhi to Noida, mostly at odd hours to avoid traffic. Lets hope I also start getting the average that your mentioned. I shall see if I can get the CNG refill done today to check how much CNG it takes and understand behaviour of lights showing CNG. Do we have any other way to check how much CNG is present in cylinder? I remember seeing one gauge in boot where CNG cylinder is installed, not sure of the purpose of that.
Hi Sang

There is no other way IMO other than the lights on the gauge to measure the CNG left in tank (the rid light being the signal of reserve). For shorter trips, I reckon you can equate 1 green light to 40-50 kms.

If you could let me know where you live in West Delhi (as I have spent quite some time in Shalimar Bagh & used to travel to to my office in NOIDA) I could you help you out with better roads to NOIDA.
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:15   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hi Sang

There is no other way IMO other than the lights on the gauge to measure the CNG left in tank (the rid light being the signal of reserve). For shorter trips, I reckon you can equate 1 green light to 40-50 kms.

If you could let me know where you live in West Delhi (as I have spent quite some time in Shalimar Bagh & used to travel to to my office in NOIDA) I could you help you out with better roads to NOIDA.
Hi Cardeep,

I live in Janakpuri and driving to Noida for last 10 years now, So I am aware about most of the roads. In morning I take ringroad as I usually start by 7 and at that time ringroad is fine and on the way back I take NH24 followed by Barapullah. I shall be going for second fill of CNG today and lets see how much CNG gets filled in the cylinder this time.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Cardeep,

I live in Janakpuri and driving to Noida for last 10 years now, So I am aware about most of the roads. In morning I take ringroad as I usually start by 7 and at that time ringroad is fine and on the way back I take NH24 followed by Barapullah. I shall be going for second fill of CNG today and lets see how much CNG gets filled in the cylinder this time.
Yours is same case as mine... I used to live in South Delhi earlier & then moved to Shalimar Bagh. During this time I used to travel to Noida for Audit work & later to my present company. I hope you do not take the AIIMS, South-Ex route. I suggest you try the SP Road, Race Course, Lodhi Road, Barapullah Flyway, if you haven't tried the same off late. Few people in my office take the same route as they too live in Janak Puri.

Anyway, I hope you manage better figures this time.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:11   #29

Hi Syravi,
Thank you so much for this detailed first hand review of the Wagor R CNG.
I am thinking of buying one myself, but was a little skeptical as to it's performance since I'm not that aware of CNG fitted cars.
Must say your review has helped me a lot and I am more confident of buying it now.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Vishal
Old 29th August 2011, 13:02   #30
BHPian

Re: 2010 Maruti Wagon R CNG- 20,000 Kms review

Hi All,

My car is about to get its 4th service. The odometer reads 19650. So what is my experience so far? Well, nothing has changed. The car continues to give top notch performance and I have saved a lot of money by opting for CNG. I have driven this much in just 10 months!

Yesterday went to a MAS and took an estimate on the expense (this I find is a good idea than just taking your car and letting them decide the expenses). The guy tells me that for coolant, engine, airfilter, oil filter, wash, tuning etc. the cost will be about 3100. I will get wheel alignment, rotation and balancing done outside and this will not be more than 400-500 I guess.

So that's it.

By the way I hit the rear of my car on a gate while reversing. Back lights (left) cracked and got a decent dent. This despite my reverse sensor because the gate had a very thin projection which the sensor did not catch.

Moral of the story: Dont depend on the reverse sensor too much. I did look back but the gate was on the blind side so got let down on two counts.

Not doing anything for the time being. It did spoil my mood though. Have taped the light for now (it works perfectly). And the dent spoils my mood. If at all I'll get it repaiured, I will do post November (my insurance is due then) after taking a no claim bonus.

But less inclined to rectify the defect. I drive in Delhi and keeping a perfect car is a huge issue. So most probably will leave it at that.

Love my car!

Most Viewed