Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2015, 23:26   #571

Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

HI Anshuman

Its been long that you have updated this thread and I assume your Skoda is doing all well .

I am contemplating idea to buy a pre-worshiped 2011 onwards Laura and wanted to clear couple of doubts from all the Laura Guru's here

1) Despite of my love for DSG, I am planning to get a Elegance MT for peace of mind. Because per all my research on this forum and else where. DSG is the most commonly failing component and rest of the car is close to reliable. Do you think I am on the right path or Should I just forget all and buy a DSG.

2) Is MT laura as fun to drive as DSG ?

3) Whts the best way to check the car's service history. I do not assume that I can just walk into a service station and get this information. And If owner gets this for me then he can definitely hide information from me.

4) 2011 car with 26K, is it suspiciously low milage? I am planning to check the tyre manufacturing Date to confirm they not replaced yet. Any other way to ensure if the odo meter is tempered with.

5) I read in your thread and others that probably AC compressor or valve was changed as a silent recall. Can I check something physically on the vehicle to find if that change has been done.

6) Is there any other faulty component that was replaced under warranty , which I can check and ensure that its been taken care of in this car.

Thanks for all members help

Rgds
shishir
Old 21st June 2015, 01:10   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dial_shishir View Post
HI Anshuman

Is there any other faulty component that was replaced under warranty , which I can check and ensure that its been taken care of in this car.

Thanks for all members help
Shishir,

1) DSG is not that un-reliable. The earlier models from 2009-2012 had a lot of failures, but after that, it has been quite trouble free. If you get a 2012 model, nothing like it. The 2012 Elegance had more goodies too like multi function steering wheel, memory seat for driver, Maxidot cluster and Bolero sound system.

2) MT will not be as fun as DSG because it is less powered version of the solid 2.0 oil burner. Its 110 Ps instead of the DSG's 140 Ps. Although you won't feel the car is slow, but that additional 30 Ps makes a difference if you do lot of highway driving. But the transmission is a bliss! Speaking of MT, you could consider the Jetta because it has a 140 Ps avatar, even in MT. It even handles better than the Skoda.

3) The AC can be checked for cooling, if you get a chance to get a longish test drive. If its not cooling as a normal car should, its faulty and needs replace meant. Ac compressor and other parts are being changed under goodwill warranty as well.

4) You need to check the battery, when was it changed and which make. It should be original Vatra or similar imported make, specially made for VW cars. My Laura's battery failed in 18 months. Don't know about others.

5) Other than these niggling issues, you're getting a decent reliable and strong car, which will never disappoint when you need it most. You can walk in to a Skoda showroom, give the car number, they might be able to pull out service details.

6) if the odometer has been tampered, that too could be found out by VCDS at the dealer perhaps. Never thought about that though.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 21st June 2015 at 01:13.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 09:38   #573

HI Aadi

Thanks for your Reply.

Unfortunately mostly what I am finding as of now is 2011 models. To my understanding 2010-2013 is the same car except the ambition model introduced in 2013 with Bolero and other goodies.

Does any one has some knowledge of change in DSG components or any other component changed specifically after 2012 which could make DSG more reliable?

On last note, other experts also please shed some like on my original list of question.

Rgds
shishir
Old 21st June 2015, 13:58   #574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
HI Anshuman

Its been long that you have updated this thread and I assume your Skoda is doing all well .
My Laura is doing great. My Dad is driving the Laura these days in my hometown, i have the XUV since last few months, that's the reason for no updates to the thread.

Quote:
I am contemplating idea to buy a pre-worshiped 2011 onwards Laura and wanted to clear couple of doubts from all the Laura Guru's here

1) Despite of my love for DSG, I am planning to get a Elegance MT for peace of mind. Because per all my research on this forum and else where. DSG is the most commonly failing component and rest of the car is close to reliable. Do you think I am on the right path or Should I just forget all and buy a DSG.
Quote:
2) Is MT laura as fun to drive as DSG ?
Laura MT came in 110hp,250nm state of tune, which is not as good as 140hp/320nm in DSG version. I'd prefer the DSG variant any day.

However if you are keen on MT variant, I suggest to look for a used VW Jetta, which came in 140hp tune even in MT variant.

Quote:
3) Whts the best way to check the car's service history. I do not assume that I can just walk into a service station and get this information. And If owner gets this for me then he can definitely hide information from me.
Check the local Skoda dealer. Search the forum for details on used car buying suggestions.

Quote:
4) 2011 car with 26K, is it suspiciously low milage? I am planning to check the tyre manufacturing Date to confirm they not replaced yet. Any other way to ensure if the odo meter is tempered with.
There is no other way to tell about the odo tampering. Check for worn out steering wheel, gear lever, driver's seat etc compare it to another car you are sure of similar mileage.

Quote:
5) I read in your thread and others that probably AC compressor or valve was changed as a silent recall. Can I check something physically on the vehicle to find if that change has been done.
Skoda guys will tell you if it has been recalled for the change or not.

Quote:
6) Is there any other faulty component that was replaced under warranty , which I can check and ensure that its been taken care of in this car.
Common Rail variants were niggle free. Only compressor and horns were updated later in recalls.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 14:08   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My Laura is doing great. My Dad is driving the Laura these days in my hometown, i have the XUV since last few months, that's the reason for no updates to the thread.

Common Rail variants were niggle free. Only compressor and horns were updated later in recalls.

Thanks Anshuman,

Also can someone provide me a link to compare Elegance with Ambiente Model, probably link to official brochure. I want to see the feature difference, unable to find any official feature list online. I have two cars on my radar one elegance MT and one Ambiente AT (limited edition with leather seats, retractable mirror, Wooden inserts and spoiler). I want to see what all I am loosing on Ambiente model. I know I am loosing heated seats (but not really care about it).

Also Does ambiente only has front power windows ? saw that listed at multiple sites.

thanks for all the help

Rgds
shishir
Old 21st June 2015, 15:07   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anshuman,

Also can someone provide me a link to compare Elegance with Ambiente Model, probably link to official brochure. I want to see the feature difference, unable to find any official feature list online. I have two cars on my radar one elegance MT and one Ambiente AT (limited edition with leather seats, retractable mirror, Wooden inserts and spoiler). I want to see what all I am loosing on Ambiente model. I know I am loosing heated seats (but not really care about it).

Also Does ambiente only has front power windows ? saw that listed at multiple sites.
My car is Ambiente variant, it had slightly better equipment levels than Ambition. Active was the lowest stripped down variant.

As per my Memory, this is what was missing in Ambition over Ambiente-
  • Auto Wipers.
  • Cooled center console and glovebox.
  • Foglamps(missing in TSI, added later)
  • Ambition got Black carpets, compared to Beige in Ambiente.
Old 21st June 2015, 15:17   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
My car is Ambiente variant, it had slightly better equipment levels than Ambition. Active was the lowest stripped down variant.

As per my Memory, this is what was missing in Ambition over Ambiente-
  • Auto Wipers.
  • Cooled center console and glovebox.
  • Foglamps(missing in TSI, added later)
  • Ambition got Black carpets, compared to Beige in Ambiente.
Anshuman, I hoping to get the difference between elegance and Ambiente. I do not even see ambition listed anywhere.
Old 21st June 2015, 15:52   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anshuman, I hoping to get the difference between elegance and Ambiente. I do not even see ambition listed anywhere.
I don't have equipment list, but here is what i remember, Elegance had over Ambiente-
  • Wooden Inserts instead of Silver.
  • Full Automatic dual zone Climate Control instead of semi Automatic Climatic.
  • Leather Seats.
  • Electronically Folding Mirrors.
  • 16" Rims instead of 15".
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:40   #579

Shishir,
As I understand from the SA of Vinayak Skoda, they have hardly had any DSG failures in the 6-speed variant found in the Laura. These were more common in the 7-speed variants of the Superb. I'm driving a 2011 DSG variant with no troubles so far, which has done close to 57K kms.
Old 29th June 2015, 11:05   #580

Thanks Anshuman and Raj for your help. This may push me towards a Automatic.

Anyways as of now I am checking out Skoda Lauras and I have some confusion. I understand that they launched a facelift in 2010 and upgraded all the engines to CRDI 2.0. But I am still seeing 2011 manual car advertised as TDI 1.9 MT, as a matter of fact I did find links to separate specifications on Carwale and couple of other forums. Can some one guide me whats this and if this is for real did they continue with the PD engine for manual in 2011 as well!!! thx

http://www.carwale.com/skoda-cars/la...e19tdimt-1543/
http://www.carwale.com/skoda-cars/la...0tdicrmt-1762/

1.9 boast 105 BHP and 250 Nm
2.0 Boast 108 Bhp and 250 Nm

thanks
shishir

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks