Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 18:55   #121
BHPian

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Melvyn,

A great, honest write-up and I read through all eight pages of it. Thank you for your detailed review of your i10.

Your thread helped me and my folks a lot when finalizing between the Brio and i10. I must say, that it was a very tough decision to choose between the two cars, but in the end, I chose the Brio for the sheer refinement and driveability the iVTEC engine offers.

Will start a detailed ownership review thread of the car once she's in the garage.

Cheers,
gpa
Hi gpa,

Thanks for your vote of confidence. As mentioned in my post on the Brio vs i10 thread, both cars are great in their own right and it is not likely to have an undisputed winner between the two of them.

The Brio was not launched when we purchased the i10 in December 2010, else it would surely have been a strong contender for us. In fact, the 'H' logo would alone have tempted us to consider it, as against the 'H' rival. However, the i10 would have scored over the Brio in two key areas for us: a better boot space and better pan-India service network.

In either case, the Ritz LXI could well have been out of contention, with these twin H-hatches.

All the best in your purchase and looking forward to your Brio ownership review.

PS: Our i10 is nearing 20K kms and I hope to update this thread in the near future.

Last edited by misquitas : 14th May 2012 at 18:56.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:19   #122
BHPian

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

After doing a lot of research on this forum, decided to go for an i10 1.2 kappa2 for my Mrs. Opting for the Sportz version of the same.

I was just wondering , if its safe to take the car for a long drive, immediately after the delivery.

I have to do about 800 kms trip over the weekend (Bangalore-Chennai-Pondy-Bangalore), and was planning on doing it in the new car..

Cheers

Last edited by vdiatech : 21st May 2012 at 12:21.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:06   #123
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
After doing a lot of research on this forum, decided to go for an i10 1.2 kappa2 for my Mrs. Opting for the Sportz version of the same. I was just wondering , if its safe to take the car for a long drive, immediately after the delivery.
Congrats on your buy!

You can do the trip so long as you keep varying the engine RPMs. Instead of cruising at at steady speed and engine RPM, make sure you vary the RPMs often to make sure the engine runs-in well.
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:51   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Congrats on your buy!

You can do the trip so long as you keep varying the engine RPMs. Instead of cruising at at steady speed and engine RPM, make sure you vary the RPMs often to make sure the engine runs-in well.
Quite agree with gpa. The only thing I suspect is that you may be expected to go in for your first service faster than the normal period.

Awaiting your ownership experience of your car. And that goes for you too, gpa, as I have seen from your signature that you have already logged 200 kms on your Brio. Or have you posted one already?
Old 23rd May 2012, 06:41   #125
BHPian

Thanks for the advise fellas ! I have convinced my mrs not to take her car. She was excited and wanted to travel in 'her' car lol. I am getting delivery of the car this evening from Blue Hyundai. Will post my buying and initial experience, soon after.

Cheers
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:17   #126
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
And that goes for you too, gpa, as I have seen from your signature that you have already logged 200 kms on your Brio. Or have you posted one already?
I have not yet posted an initial ownership review due to the lack of time. There is a pending LTO review of my Alto as well which I will get down to over this weekend.
Old 29th May 2012, 10:42   #127

I have a May 2010 i10 Magna and I have always been missing the intermittent wiper feature really badly. I live in Bangalore and I have contacted the local Hyundai service centres here for a upgrade to the Sports wiper stalk. However, I was told that the technical/service teams have never done it before and are not really sure how to proceed with this. They are not sure what parts need to be replaced.

I would be extremely grateful to you if you kindly provide the contact details of the service manager who took care of the wiper stalk replacement. I would want to patch him with the engineer here in Bangalore so that he could guide him with the procedure. Many thanks in advance !
Old 29th May 2012, 21:36   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg55555 View Post
I have a May 2010 i10 Magna and I have always been missing the intermittent wiper feature really badly. I live in Bangalore and I have contacted the local Hyundai service centres here for a upgrade to the Sports wiper stalk. However, I was told that the technical/service teams have never done it before and are not really sure how to proceed with this. They are not sure what parts need to be replaced.

I would be extremely grateful to you if you kindly provide the contact details of the service manager who took care of the wiper stalk replacement. I would want to patch him with the engineer here in Bangalore so that he could guide him with the procedure. Many thanks in advance !
Ok, I will call up my friendly service advisor and will ask him for the specific part number of the i10 Sports wiper stalk lever. As far as I can recall, the advisor...

1. Removed the steering of my i10
2. Pulled out the i10 Magna wiper stalk lever.
3. Pushed in a new i10 Sportz wiper stalk lever on my Magna i10.
4. Put back the steering of my i10.

We then tested the intermittent wiping facility of the i10 Sportz wiper stalk lever on my Magna i10 and it has worked perfectly till date.

The only (minor) issue is that the i10 sportz wiper stalk lever on my i10 Magna has a 'rear wiper' switch, which is of no use to me, simply because the i10 Magna does not have a rear wiper.

Hope this is of use to you. You may PM me and if permitted, I will give you the number of the Hyundai service advisor who provided the intermittent wiping facility on my i10 Magna.

By the way, he and I also worked out a way to fit a luggage lamp in my i10 Magna. If you recall the Magna variant does not have a luggage lamp, but we managed to get one installed in my i10. If you need this facility on your Magna, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:54   #129
BHPian

@misquitas

I am a keen follower of your thread and I must say it helped me in buying my i10 magna too!. I've been trying to get a decent FE reading these days. I have tried what you have said - shifting at 2k RPM, although I do rev it to 2.5 - 3k from time to time ( can't help it! ). Still I get a mileage of around 12kmpl. My odo readng is 1700+ now. A couple of questions I would like to ask regarding your driving style.

1. Do you keep idling the car in traffic signals? Or do you switch off if the waiting period is greater than 30 seconds or something?
2. How much do you think the aircon plays a role in the mileage factor?
Old 14th June 2012, 17:13   #130
BHPian

I just got my car registeration smart card, in that themfg date of car is 02/2012 and I bought it in 05/2012. Is the difference normal? I know I should have checked before and its too late. The dealer must have given me from old stock..
Old 15th June 2012, 02:08   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
@misquitas

I am a keen follower of your thread and I must say it helped me in buying my i10 magna too!. I've been trying to get a decent FE reading these days. I have tried what you have said - shifting at 2k RPM, although I do rev it to 2.5 - 3k from time to time ( can't help it! ). Still I get a mileage of around 12kmpl. My odo readng is 1700+ now. A couple of questions I would like to ask regarding your driving style.

1. Do you keep idling the car in traffic signals? Or do you switch off if the waiting period is greater than 30 seconds or something?
2. How much do you think the aircon plays a role in the mileage factor?
Hi, I'm sorry for the late delay as I had not noticed your post until now.

As I have mentioned earlier, FE largely depends on driving style, road conditions and condition of the vehicle. Any one condition is enough to influence FE readings.

Being a sedate driver and with good road conditions here in Goa, my i10 has given me an average of 17.2 kmpl in over 30 FE tests. Needless to say, my i10 is in top shape. I generally shift gears at around 2K rpm and try to get into the 5th gear at 60 kmph.

Regarding your two queries, I do switch off the car if I have to wait at a junction (there are no traffic signals here in Goa) or a traffic jam for some considerable time, say about 30 seconds at least. If the wait period is shorter than 30 seconds or so, I put the car in neutral and apply the handbrake. This serves two purposes: my foot is not on the clutch and I do not need to race the accelerator.

Regarding the use of AC, I have noticed that the i10 FE IS affected significantly (about 2 kmpl or so) when the AC is used for a considerable period. My better-than-normal FE is largely due to the fact that I rarely use the AC, unless absolutely necessary (if I'm traveling at speeds exceeding 90 kmph, if it's raining and I want to defog the windows, if it's a real warm day or if we are going to a formal function and we do not want to have our hair blown out of shape).

Quote:
I just got my car registeration smart card, in that themfg date of car is 02/2012 and I bought it in 05/2012. Is the difference normal? I know I should have checked before and its too late. The dealer must have given me from old stock..
A period of three months does seem to be old stock. When my I10 had arrived in the stockyard in December 2010, I had confirmed the engine and chassis numbers and cross-checked it with the codes provided here on team-bhp. I found out that my i10 had been manufactured in mid-November.

Under normal conditions, the i10 is normally a hot-selling product and is rarely left to accumulate in the stockyard for too long. But thanks to the central government, petrol prices have shot up and i10 isn't as much in demand as diesel cars. I10 sales have been sliding steadily in the past few months and the once second largest selling car was a low 10th in the May 2012 sales. It is quite possible that dealers had ordered for additional i10s, but with poor demand for the petrol hatch, the i10s have been lying unsold in the stockyard for many weeks.
misquitas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 21:38   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your buy!

Three months is not very old. There were no updates to i10 in the past 3 months. I doubt if a car would cause problems later because it was lying in the stockyard for 3 months. Your concern would have been valid if your car was manufactured in 2011.
I can think of couple of reasons:
1. i10 (actually all petrol cars) sales have dropped in the last couple of months. Could well be mismatch in forecast and actual sales numbers.
2. You could have bought a rare color, a rare variant or a rare combo of color and variant.

Enjoy your ownership! Do update us on the FE figures and the conditions you drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Being a sedate driver and with good road conditions here in Goa, my i10 has given me an average of 17.2 kmpl in over 30 FE tests. Needless to say, my i10 is in top shape. I generally shift gears at around 2K rpm and try to get into the 5th gear at 60 kmph.
misquitas, I'm curious to know the FE figures your car returns on the highways. My i10 Kappa(1) used to return 11.x kmpl in the city on crowded roads. I always drove in peak hour traffic with around 30% AC. But on the highways, my car used to return 18-19kmpl with around 70% AC. Btw, I'm a very disciplined highway driver. Normally don't exceed 90kmph; just the odd 100kmph.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 16th June 2012 at 21:45.
blue_pulsar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 00:49   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
misquitas, I'm curious to know the FE figures your car returns on the highways. My i10 Kappa(1) used to return 11.x kmpl in the city on crowded roads. I always drove in peak hour traffic with around 30% AC. But on the highways, my car used to return 18-19kmpl with around 70% AC. Btw, I'm a very disciplined highway driver. Normally don't exceed 90kmph; just the odd 100kmph.
To be honest, I have not conducted a highway-only FE as yet, as we have done only a few inter-state trips since December 2010. All of my FE tests have been a mix of all sorts of driving conditions during a Point A to Point B and from Time A to Time B.

Highway roads over here in Goa are, quite honestly, inter-city roads and it is quite impossible to conduct a highway-only FE test, unless. of course, one is on an inter-state trip.

To give you an indication, the last time we did an inter-state Goa-Thane-Mumbai-Thane-Goa trip between 10 July 2011 and 17 July 2011, our i10 FE test was as follows:

Total Distance: 1633 kms
Total litres: 104.08 ltrs
FE: 15.69 kmpl

This FE test was conducted with 100% AC and a mix of very heavy Mumbai traffic on the one hand, and an excellent stretch of the Pune-Bangalore highway (NH4) on the other.
Old 17th June 2012, 10:28   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Congratulations on your buy!

Three months is not very old. There were no updates to i10 in the past 3 months. I doubt if a car would cause problems later because it was lying in the stockyard for 3 months.
Enjoy your ownership! Do update us on the FE figures and the conditions you drive.
Thank you very much, I feel so much better after reading your post.
I recently did a long trip ( about 850kms ) and with full AC on the highway I got an avg of 17kmpl.

Ofcourse, I havent had a chance to do avg tests on the highway and city. Will update later on.

The car seems a bit sluggish at the lower rpm and it gets very bad when the AC is on. Otherwise, a nice car to drive.
Old 19th June 2012, 01:49   #135
BHPian

I gave my i10 for its fourth (paid) service today. My i10 had completed 21,100 kms and I categorically told the service advisor that I did NOT want any unnecessary additives during the service and I did not want tyre rotation/balancing/alignment as I plan to do it elsewhere. Since I wanted my car by 4 pm, I also asked the advisor not to get my car washed.

The car was serviced by 4 pm and my service costs were as follow:

Consumables (plus tax):

* Engine oil
* Consumables
* Filter assembly-engine oil
Grease caliper-guide rod

Total: 1182.00

Labour costs (plus service tax):

* HI Scan
* Brake cleaning
* Fuel injector cleaning
* Periodic maintenance service

Total: 1367.00

GRAND TOTAL: Rs 2550.00

Was this cost reasonable or could I have been overcharged, in light of enhanced rates of Hyundai service?

The score on the feedback card, as mentioned elsewhere, is very unusual and I fail to figure out the rationale of this scoring system. A score of 0-8 is poor, 9 is good and 10 is excellent. Hyundai may as well have put 0-9 as poor and 10 as excellent.

The car felt good to drive after the service, may be it's a psychological factor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks