Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2011, 12:37   #91
BHPian

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

Kanva, i can tell you from a kappa(older version) perspective:

1) I constantly get an FE in the range 14 to 15 kmpl in Bangalore. I fill Shell Normal and i do use AC regularly(about 80%) But the FE may go down to 13 kmpl if you get into a lot of bumper to bumper traffic. You must be expecting more from Kappa2.

2) (Irrespective of the engines) I believe the rear Wiper and rear defogger are a must have safety feature in places where you can expect heavy rain. It has proven to be a boon to me on more than one occasion during last years rains!
The only grouse was that during the rains, the ORVMs used to be so much fogged that they were almost useless. But in the enxt gen i10 they have provided heated OVRMs which is fantastic. I always suggest that if you can stretch, go for Sportz so that you these safety features.
Old 1st April 2011, 15:14   #92

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

pai,

I was also seeing at SPARK LT which comes with defogger , no wiper and the price 90K less than the i10 magna. How does spark stand in terms of i10 magna kappa2.

One thing I know is that i10 kappa 2 is new engine, is that enough to pay additional 90K more.

-thanks,
kanva
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:17   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanva View Post
Hello,

This is most extensive review on i10, I've seen on net. Can you please shed some light on following doubts.

1. i10 magna does not come with Rear wiper and defogger, is that a must for bangalore weather. And that is something you cannot get it fitted unless you shell out 25K. Which is not worth. Is this feature must

2. About the FE on bangalore roads, how much to expect for this new kappa2 engine as people with kappa are getting around 12km.

thanks in advance.
kanva
1. Personally, I don't think that a rear wiper and defogger is crucial for me and hence, I opted for the I10 Magna as opposed to the Sportz. See, take a look around and you will find that most cars (sedans and most hatches) do not have a rear wiper, yet the lack of a rear wiper does not seem to have been an issue for their owners. In fact, my dad had a rear wiper on his Tata Estate in the 90's and we very rarely used it for its intended purpose (we, in fact, only switched it on to keep it running else we felt the motor or some component in the rear wiper assembly would simply stop working). I realised that this rear wiper was almost a gimmick which would, at most, be put to use for mainly 3-4 months (during the monsoons). I have never felt the need for a rear wiper in my hatches and even during the monsoons, I could easily see vehicles trailing our car.

Even the defogger is not something that is really necessary to me. If the glass on the hatch door does get fogged, all I need to do is switch on the AC and within moments, all windows (windscreen, tailgate glass and 4 door glasses) are defogged.

2. Am not too well-versed with road conditions in Bangalore, but iPai has given you some indications on FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
Kanva, i can tell you from a kappa(older version) perspective:

(Irrespective of the engines) I believe the rear Wiper and rear defogger are a must have safety feature in places where you can expect heavy rain. It has proven to be a boon to me on more than one occasion during last years rains!
Don't know about the rains in Bangalore, but I never felt the need for a rear wiper even in heavy rains here in Goa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanva View Post
pai,

I was also seeing at SPARK LT which comes with defogger , no wiper and the price 90K less than the i10 magna. How does spark stand in terms of i10 magna kappa2.

One thing I know is that i10 kappa 2 is new engine, is that enough to pay additional 90K more.

-thanks,
kanva
In my opinion, the Spark should not be compared to an I10, simply because they differ significantly in their engine specs and body sizes. I have picked up the following details from their official websites to compare the two cars:

Specs----------I10 Magna-----------Spark LT

Wheelbase------2380mm-------------2345mm
Length----------3585mm-------------3495mm
Width-----------1595mm-------------1495mm
Height-----------1550mm------------1518mm
Weight-----------860 kgs------------840 kgs

Engine------------1197 cc-------------995 ltr
Power (ps/rpm)---80/6000-------------63/5401
Torque-----------11.4kgm/2000rpm----90.3 Nm/4201rpm
Valve/Camshaft---16V/DOHC-----------8V/SOHC

So, if you see the I10 is a larger vehicle than the Spark as far as engine and specs are concerned. You could, may be, place the Spark LT alongside the Alto K10 for a better comparison.
Old 2nd April 2011, 19:40   #94
BHPian

Kanva,

I have an i10 kappa2 sportz and i have to drive 20 kms a day total to and fro from office everyday in peak hour traffic in B.G road.

1. The new i10 comes with side rear view mirrors which are "heated" which means that it doesnt get fogged or visibility doesnt get poor when it rains.. I have found this really useful when driving in very heavy rains . I have found at times that even though i use the rear defogger and wiper, my central rear view mirror inside the car gets fogged.. which means its a noob.. But still, its a nice to have and of late all cars seem to be opting for it (i have seen magnas with the rear wiper fitted)

2. I get an FE of 11 kmpl with 50% a/c . This is in bumper-to-bumper traffic in chaotic roads with constant clutch/gear shifts.. This does increase to around 17-18 on highways with a/c (at times even 19)
Old 3rd April 2011, 10:34   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by odyssey045 View Post
But still, its a nice to have and of late all cars seem to be opting for it (i have seen magnas with the rear wiper fitted)
Are you sure the new 1.2 Kappa2 Magna variants have the rear wiper fitted? As far as I can recall, the old 1.2 Magna had these rear wipers, but these were subsequently withdrawn on newer 1.2 Magnas.
Old 3rd April 2011, 12:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
As far as I can recall, the old 1.2 Magna had these rear wipers, but these were subsequently withdrawn on newer 1.2 Magnas.
The i10 1.2 Magna never had rear wiper, it was the first Generation 1.1 Magna which had one.

When the i10 was first launched with the 1.1 iRDe engine, it had five variants - D-lite, Era, Magna , Asta & Asta(Sunroof). Of these variants, Magna & the two Astas had rear wipers & IIRC both of them had integrated music system also.

Then Hyundai launched 1.2 Kappa i10s( in Magna, Sportz & Asta trims, D-lite & Era continued with 1.1 engine). The 1.2 Magna did not have any rear wiper( My friend bought one when the 1.2 variants were introduced and I was surprised that the rear wiper was not there). Probably, introduction of the Sportz trim lead to deletion of rear wiper in the Magna.

Then later they re-launched 1.1 iRDe Magna without the rear wiper.

Then in 2010, there was Darth Vader facelift with the iRDe2 and Kappa2 engines.
iRDe2 1.1 - D-lite, Era, Magna
Kappa2 1.2 - Magna, Sportz , Asta

Last edited by skanchan95 : 3rd April 2011 at 12:24.
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:53   #97
BHPian

A query:
The santro (don't remember the year/model number) in which i learnt driving recently could start from stationary by just releasing the clutch while on 1st gear. There was absolutely NO need to press the accelerator. Infact, my instructor told me this was the way to start a car from rest.

Now in my next-gen i10 sportz, this is not the case. If i try releasing the clutch in 1st gear without pressing the accelerator the engine stalls.

I found the santro's behaviour very convenient and have got used to it.

Why is the difference between i10 and santro? Has it got anything to do with engine temp?
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:51   #98
BHPian

Windride, i own the first gen i10 Sportz variant. Every morning when i take my car out of the parking space, i never ever use the accelerator!

My first movement is in reverse, then slot on to the first gear and start using the clutch. The car moves about 20-30 metres, then a small ramp and then on the road, still, no accelerator!!

I think even in i10 you need not use the accelerator for first movement. Please check again. If this is not the case, then i guess you should talk to your SA.

Is this a one off case? Can other i10 owners comment?
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the new 1.2 Kappa2 Magna variants have the rear wiper fitted? As far as I can recall, the old 1.2 Magna had these rear wipers, but these were subsequently withdrawn on newer 1.2 Magnas.
1.1 irde Magnas came with rear wiper + demister. 1.2 Kappa Magnas didn't.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:12   #100
BHPian

Its not about the santro or i10. All cars can move with half clutch, its just the exact point that one needs to get used to.

My friend who own a santro is unable to adjust the clutch movement of my Next Gen i10 stating its not as "hard" as in the santro ! I feel the reason could also be the age of the car. I too at times stalled my car when it was new as i was used to drive a 1997 Zen before this.

Last edited by dar3dev|l : 2nd May 2011 at 14:13.
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:28   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
A query:
The santro (don't remember the year/model number) in which i learnt driving recently could start from stationary by just releasing the clutch while on 1st gear. There was absolutely NO need to press the accelerator. Infact, my instructor told me this was the way to start a car from rest.

Now in my next-gen i10 sportz, this is not the case. If i try releasing the clutch in 1st gear without pressing the accelerator the engine stalls.

I found the santro's behaviour very convenient and have got used to it.

Why is the difference between i10 and santro? Has it got anything to do with engine temp?
All cars should be able to 'crawl' (as it's called) with just the clutch. It's all about how you release the clutch. If it's stalling your releasing the clutch too fast. Try releasing it extremely slowly (for practice) until you find the biting point where it engages and the car starts rolling forward. Keep practicing and you'll be able to this quite fast and naturally.

It's very convenient when parking, reversing or even in stop start traffic!
Old 2nd May 2011, 14:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

^^ Diesels definitely can crawl! But what about few litre class petrols with low bottom-end torque? They would need some throttle input, especially when the engine and ambient temperatures are both hot!
Old 7th May 2011, 11:30   #103
Senior - BHPian

I had experienced similar thing in Kappa2. The engine refuses to move in first gear until accelerator is pressed. Not the case with IRDE or Santro though !
Old 7th May 2011, 22:51   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I had experienced similar thing in Kappa2. The engine refuses to move in first gear until accelerator is pressed. Not the case with IRDE or Santro though !
No such issue in my I10 1.2 Magna Kappa2. Release the clutch slightly and the car moves forward. Even in the second gear, leave the accelerator and the car surges forward.
Old 8th May 2011, 09:53   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No such issue in my I10 1.2 Magna Kappa2. Release the clutch slightly and the car moves forward. Even in the second gear, leave the accelerator and the car surges forward.
Then it might have been an observational mistake on my side. Will check it out once again.
Looking to replace my 7 yr old WagonR with 1.2 Magna.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks