Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2011, 12:12   #76
BHPian

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I guess you missed this part in the long post.
My bad, in my hurry to go through the post i missed the line that said that melvyn had bought the dashboard cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Thanks, Kevin, for your comments. Yes, as Learn to Jive mentioned, I did make mention of it in my post. The dashboard covers are readily available in Belgaum for about Rs 350. I have post pictures of the gray "Dashmat" dashboard cover that I purchased. This dashboard cover, thankfully, conceals the reflection of the "U" line of the instrument panel on the windscreen. Moreover, the dashboard cover will minimize the heat on the dashboard on a sunny day and will, hopefully, prevent the dashboard panel from fading after a few years. Another excellent beige dashboard cover is "Pride", which I happened to see in one old model I10. However, I don't know the price of that dashboard cover. The only thing that I don't like of these dashboard covers is the slot available for mobile phones. Not only does it spoil the look of the dashboard cover, the slot is also useless to accommodate smartphones and other larger phones. How I wish they could have avoided this ugly provision.
Attachment 488973
One view of the gray dashboard cover.

Attachment 488974
Another view of the gray dashboard cover.

By the way, I have uploaded snaps of the dashboard cover and a cheap steering wheel cover.
The dashboard cover looks nice, the wife loved the pics! I personally didn't! Fit is not what i expected and as you said, the mobile phone holder is an eyesore, still beggars can't be choosers so.. How is it fitted on the dashboard? Does it have a sticking mechanism or does it just lie on top?
Old 26th January 2011, 14:01   #77
BHPian

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
The dashboard cover looks nice, the wife loved the pics! I personally didn't! Fit is not what i expected and as you said, the mobile phone holder is an eyesore, still beggars can't be choosers so.. How is it fitted on the dashboard? Does it have a sticking mechanism or does it just lie on top?
What is it that you did not like about the snap? The quality of snaps or the quality of the dashboard or both?

By the way, I have merely placed the dashboard cover on top of the dashboard and the creased cover may not give it a good fit as of now. The salesman advised me to place the cover in sunlight so that the creases are sorted out. I also plan to iron the cover to remove the creases. By the way, the cover has various velcro slots, which, in turn, is stuck to a double-sided tape. One end of the double-sided tape sticks to the dashboard, while the other side of the tape is stuck to one part of the velcro. This part of the velcro then sticks to the other part of the velcro, which is stitched to the dashboard cover.

The salesman admitted that it is difficult to get a cover that would exactly fit the dashboard of the I10. I am not complaining too much as the benefits, in my opinion, outweigh the drawbacks. True, the cover is not a looker and will certainly not add to the aesthetics of the I10 interiors. But the cover would...

1. Conceal the reflection of the "U" line of the instrument panel on the windscreen.
2. Minimize the heat on the dashboard on a sunny day.
3. Prevent the dashboard panel from fading after a few years.
4. Enable me to keep small objects on the dashboard. Without the cover, small objects simply fall down due to the smooth surface and lack of grooves and contours. The cover makes the surface rough and prevents small objects (a file, mobile phone, etc.) from easily falling down.

Having said that, not many would like a dashboard cover and I would respect their sentiments.
Old 26th January 2011, 22:25   #78
BHPian

Quote:
What is it that you did not like about the snap? The quality of snaps or the quality of the dashboard or both?
Having said that, not many would like a dashboard cover and I would respect their sentiments.

Hey Melvyn,
Don't take it to heart! i was merely commenting on the dashboard cover and not on the snaps.
As you have said it has not been fixed yet and maybe that is the reason i didn't like it, since it had a poor fit in the snaps. I think i will have a different opinion once you have stuck it as per the salesman and ironed out the creases.
Thanks for explaining how it is affixed on the dashboard.
Colour doesn't matter as long as the sunlight glare has been reduced / eliminated.
I agree with all the advantages of the dashboard cover and personally i do not think there are any disadvantages. I myself am looking to get one done on my previous gen i10 and hence am closely following this thread.
Kevin
Old 21st February 2011, 21:04   #79
BHPian

It has been quite some time since I update this thread on my I10. Have been enjoying the drive so far and I have been closely following other discussions on the I10 in this forum. Two major updates from my side:

1. Third F.E. Test: This time the Fuel Efficieny of my I10 dropped a bit. During my third test, I started on a auto top-up at 02241 kms (this odo reading was the end point of my second FE test). I travelled for some time till the odo reading was 02736 kms. At this point, I went to the same dispenser of the same petrol pump and did an auto cut-off. The reading was as follows:

Distance travelled: 495 kms
Petrol used: 28.34 ltrs
Fuel efficiency: 17.47 kms

I must admit that much of this driving was intra-city driving in Goa and I was aware that I would not get a 5-star FE. Nevertheless, the I10 has exceeded 17 kmpl in all three fuel efficiency tests so far and I am quite pleased with these FE readings so far.

2. Change of Head Unit: Readers on this thread may be aware that I was an early customer of the newly launched JBL GT333 head unit. While the HU was great for its price, I felt let down as it could not play random songs within the folder of the USB pen drive or SD card. It would only play random songs across all folders.

It so happened that I needed to install a head unit on my Alto LXI and I decided to buy a new Head unit for the I10 and place the JBL 333 on the Alto. I checked up with my accessories dealer at Porvorim and he advised my to put the Alpine CDE-100EUB (Rs 7200) for the I10.

The installation of the CDE-100EUB was a breeze since I only had to remove the JBL 333 and replace it with the CDE-100EUB. I noticed one major plus: The trim plate of the CDE-100EUB fitted perfectly within the slot provided for the head unit. The JBL 333 trim plate did not fit in the slot and I had to use the HU without the trim plate. This had given the JBL 333 a rather crude look.

As soon as I inserted a pen drive on the CDE-100EUB, I was really pleased that the CDE-100EUB could play random songs from within a specific folder of the pen drive.

The controls of the CDE-100EUB are quite simple and effective. The CDE-100EUB does not have a 3-band EQ (it only has a 2-band EQ) like the JBL 333, but more importantly, the CDE-100EUB serves my purpose extremely well.
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:33   #80
BHPian

Update: My 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 crosses the 3,000 km barrier

March 3, 2011

Today (3/3), my I10 achieved another '3', when it crossed the 3k km barrier, while in its 3rd month of ownership. Yes, a lot of 3s during this little milestone.

The experience so far has been positive. The ride has been enjoyable so far and my three FE readings have been impressive. It has delivered in all areas, much to our expectations. As opposed to our Alto, our 3-yr-old daughter loves the power-windows and I love the fact that I can 'lock' her desire to unnecessarily operate the up/down switch in the rear seat.

My wife and I also love the three bottle holder options in our I10, which enables us to easily place our daughter's water bottle. When my wife was in her brother's Ritz, the bottle holder option was not available in the centre (around the hand brake) and she had to ask her brother to place the water bottle in the holder on the front door. Every time our daughter wanted a sip (and that can be quite often), he had to retrieve the water bottle from the front door and hand it over to my wife seated on the rear seat. The I10 eliminates this inconvenience, as there is a bottle holder slot (behind the hand brake) for the rear passenger as well. These little things make a big difference for families like us and we thank Hyundai for including these features on the I10.

That said, we would have preferred if the I10 had a 'shelf' for additional storage, something similar to the Ritz. I noticed that the 'brown' portion of the dashboard on the left hand of the dash (which is near the extreme left AC vent) appears to be hollow inside. This space could easily have been used (for non-air bag variants of I10) to slot in a 'shelf' for the little extras (cloth duster, small tissue box, mobiles, etc.) that we love to store and use when needed. Moreover, since the top portion of the dash of the I10 is rounded a bit, it makes it difficult to place small objects on top of the dash.

By the way, I also have the Alto and we use both these best-sellers in tandem. When we use the Alto, we enjoy the "thrills on wheels" and when we are in the I10, we enjoy the "frills on wheels".

I have been closely following the performance of the I10 as far as sales is concerned and it has recorded impressive sales in February.

The I10 has generated impressive sales in the midst of growing petrol prices as well as a congested hatch market in the Rs 3.5-6 Lakh category. Consider that the I10 variants are pitted against Wagon-R, A-Star, Estillo, Ritz and Swift (Maruti), Indica and Vista (Tata), Figo (Ford), Spark and Beat (GM), Micra (Nissan) and Polo (VW). Many claim that the Beat has not sold well as it does not have a diesel option. Well, the same can be said of the I10 as it too does not have a diesel variant. Clearly, the I10 has been attracting customers in large numbers. Its twin-petrol engine options as well as a wide spectrum of variants (from D-lite to Asta) seem to cater to a wide range of buyers.

Incidentally, I received a call from Hyundai this morning stating that a free check-up camp has been organised for I10 cars (or is it Hyundai cars, I don't know) between March 5 and March 14. Apparently, some 80-odd checks (?) will be covered during this camp. Besides, there will be a free washing of the car. I hope to avail of this free camp during this period.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:32   #81
BHPian

Re: Update: My 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 crosses the 3,000 km barrier

Quote:
March 3, 2011

My wife and I also love the three bottle holder options in our I10, which enables us to easily place our daughter's water bottle. When my wife was in her brother's Ritz, the bottle holder option was not available in the centre (around the hand brake) and she had to ask her brother to place the water bottle in the holder on the front door. Every time our daughter wanted a sip (and that can be quite often), he had to retrieve the water bottle from the front door and hand it over to my wife seated on the rear seat. The I10 eliminates this inconvenience, as there is a bottle holder slot (behind the hand brake) for the rear passenger as well. These little things make a big difference for families like us and we thank Hyundai for including these features on the I10.
It might not be a solution but an effective work-around for the problem you have faced. Ritz has a detachable vertical ash tray placed in a relatively big cubby square box just between the the gear lever and the hand-brake. You take that ash-tray out and this square cubby box can hold a small water bottle. Of course, I am assuming that the ash tray is not being used in the car. Hope this helps you next time when you are in your BIL's Ritzy.
Old 4th March 2011, 18:02   #82
BHPian

Re: Update: My 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 crosses the 3,000 km barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
It might not be a solution but an effective work-around for the problem you have faced. Ritz has a detachable vertical ash tray placed in a relatively big cubby square box just between the the gear lever and the hand-brake. You take that ash-tray out and this square cubby box can hold a small water bottle. Of course, I am assuming that the ash tray is not being used in the car. Hope this helps you next time when you are in your BIL's Ritzy.
Thanks for the suggestion and we will try it out.

Now, some advise needed from you guys.

I filled nitrogen in my I10 stock tyres (MRF ZEC) this evening. While I earlier would fill 33 PS of normal air in my tyres (as specified on the sticker near the door), the tyre attendant insisted on filling only 30 PS of nitrogen on all five tyres. I quickly called up a technician at Goa Hyundai and he suggested that I should put 33 PS of nitrogen on all 5 tyres. The tyre attendant was reluctant to do so and even cautioned me that if I were to put 33 PS nitrogen on the tyres, it would lead to faster wear and tear of the tyres.

Now, who (tyre attendant or Hyundai technician) is right on this? Should I fill 33 PS or 30 PS of nitrogen on the 5 tyres? Kindly advise me on this.

Thanks,
Melvyn
Old 9th March 2011, 13:23   #83
BHPian

Re: Second FE test on my 2010 Hyundai i10 VTVT 1.2

misquitas congratulations for nice car, review and FE tests.
Quote:
* 3 adults and 1 child
* Rice bags (75 kgs)
* Sugar bags (20 kgs)
* Cooking oil cans (20 ltrs)
* Container with non-veg food (9 kgs)
* Plenty of shopping bags.
* One big bag for our clothes.
That means payload around 310 kg

Quote:
* Minimal use of AC.
* Heavy traffic in Kolhapur/Belgaum.
* Bad road patches around Sawantwadi and Khanapur-Londa-Anmod.
* Two ghats at Gaganbawda and Anmod.
* Heavy luggage along the return journey.
* Average driving conditions along much of the route (about 450 kms).
* Excellent driving conditions along a part of the route (about 120 kms).
Certainly real life driving condition.

Quote:
Total distance covered: 572 kms
Total litres consumed: 30.52 ltrs
Fuel economy: 18.74 kmpl
For above payload and driving conditions 18.74 kmpl is really Great FE. i10 is certainly one of the finest and most fuel efficient hatchback.
Old 9th March 2011, 23:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
misquitas congratulations for nice car, review and FE tests.

That means payload around 310 kg

Certainly real life driving condition.

For above payload and driving conditions 18.74 kmpl is really Great FE. i10 is certainly one of the finest and most fuel efficient hatchback.
Thanks, Topolino, for your comments. Another thing that has impressed me about the I10 is the ability to get it custom-designed. I was keen to have 1. the intermittent wiping facility on my Magna as well as a luggage light in the boot. I managed to replace the Magna wiper switch with the Sportz wiper switch (solved desire #1) and got a luggage lamp installed in my boot (solved desire #2). I also removed the parcel tray supports (two thin strips on either sides to hold the parcel tray) to free up more boot space. As far as I know such changes are either not possible or not easy on Swift/Ritz.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:38   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I was keen to have 1. the intermittent wiping facility on my Magna as well as a luggage light in the boot. I managed to replace the Magna wiper switch with the Sportz wiper switch (solved desire #1) and got a luggage lamp installed in my boot (solved desire #2). I also removed the parcel tray supports (two thin strips on either sides to hold the parcel tray) to free up more boot space. As far as I know such changes are either not possible or not easy on Swift/Ritz.
1. As far as I know all variants of Ritz/Swift already have 4 levels in the wiper stalk for front windscreen- Mist/Intermittent/Medium/High. Do you mean to say that i10 doesn't offer it as a standard. Please correct me if my understanding here is incorrect.

2. The two thin strips that hold the parcel tray can be removed/adjusted very easily in Alto/Ritz/Swift. My friend has actually moved these strips by 2.5 inches upwards to get more boot space in his Alto and that job was pretty easy!!!
Old 11th March 2011, 10:13   #86
BHPian

Quote:
1. As far as I know all variants of Ritz/Swift already have 4 levels in the wiper stalk for front windscreen- Mist/Intermittent/Medium/High. Do you mean to say that i10 doesn't offer it as a standard. Please correct me if my understanding here is incorrect.
As far as I10 is concerned, the Magna and below variants (Era and D-Lite), for some strange reason, do not feature intermittent wipers. This feature is present only on Sportz and Asta. Thankfully though, one can easily replace the wiper stalk of the Magna with the one on the Sportz and the Goa Hyundai service guys immediately got the Sportz wiper stalk fitted on my Magna.

Contrast that with my experience of an intended modification of the Ritz LDI, that I had shortlisted sometime in December. I had asked the service manager at Chowgule showroom in Panjim if I could fit the tachometer of the Ritz VDI on the LDI. He immediately said it cannot be done and that it was not possible to do so. He clearly told me that they do not undertake such modifications not present in factory-fitted cars. I am quite sure that they would never have agreed to have fitted a luggage lamp in the Ritz boot, as was done by the Hyundai guys on my I10.

Quote:
2. The two thin strips that hold the parcel tray can be removed/adjusted very easily in Alto/Ritz/Swift. My friend has actually moved these strips by 2.5 inches upwards to get more boot space in his Alto and that job was pretty easy!!!
As far as I know, there are no strips (that hold the parcel tray) on my Alto LXI (2008) and they are inserted only if someone buys a parcel tray. What I meant to say was that the Goa Hyundai was very receptive to simple modifications and the I10 seems to have been designed in such a way that these little modifications were easily possible. I am not so sure that it would have been easy (or cheap) to have installed a luggage lamp in the Ritz boot.
Old 11th March 2011, 14:31   #87

Nice analysis Mr. Melvin .... Your comparison is nicely projected and holds well for Ritz LXi to i10 Magna.. i10 is thee stylish car with flamboyant finish when compared to Ritz...but for a person like me keeps a car for not less than 5 years; I feel Ritz scores over economics!! I am not die-hard Maruti fan..yet great going with my Hyundai Xing for nearly 4 years which is more roomy than i10 and this cannot be under-rated in performance to i10 (except that race-track pick-up of i10 vtvt engine) which is my humble personal opinion.

After going through much inputs from this forum, I have acquired one Ritz ZXI (at that extra bucks over LXi and VXi) which is scoring over several compromises on lower versions viz., interiors, trims, levers, switches, and has big plus ones like auto/electric features of windows /OVRMs, tiltable steering / driver seats, ABS, Air Bags etc.. Besides all plus features of Maruti-Ritz the extra broad tyres provided in Ritz ZXI takes care of body roll which is a wonderful input I got from your review. Mist cleaning issue is manageable one for Chenniites (Chennai is hardly misty) and being tall I am able to reach the windshield..thank god . In fact upon TD I realized that driving comfort is amazingly top-class in ZXI than LXI and this generously accommodates 5 on a cruise. Thanks to your useful inputs. I'll write on durability, performance after 3 service etc in due course

vjs
Old 11th March 2011, 21:23   #88
BHPian

Thanks, VJS, for your honest comments. Now for my views on the points that you have raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayyes View Post
Nice analysis Mr. Melvin .... Your comparison is nicely projected and holds well for Ritz LXi to i10 Magna.. i10 is thee stylish car with flamboyant finish when compared to Ritz...but for a person like me keeps a car for not less than 5 years; I feel Ritz scores over economics!!
I fully agree that the equations would change if one were to keep a car for over 5 years. But this is true in a diesel/petrol comparison. But I'm not sure how Ritz scores in economics, specially since the Ritz LXI and the I10 Magna are priced similarly.

Quote:
I am not die-hard Maruti fan..yet great going with my Hyundai Xing for nearly 4 years which is more roomy than i10 and this cannot be under-rated in performance to i10 (except that race-track pick-up of i10 vtvt engine) which is my humble personal opinion.
While the Santro Xing certainly has better boot space than the I10, the I10's technical specifications indicate that it is wider than the Santro. So, shouldn't the I10 be roomier than the Santro? Having said that, I wish Hyundai had spruced up the Santro to compete with the Wagon R. The Santro is certainly a capable car and a 'face-lift' edition would have been infused further sales.

Quote:
After going through much inputs from this forum, I have acquired one Ritz ZXI (at that extra bucks over LXi and VXi) which is scoring over several compromises on lower versions viz., interiors, trims, levers, switches, and has big plus ones like auto/electric features of windows /OVRMs, tiltable steering / driver seats, ABS, Air Bags etc.. Besides all plus features of Maruti-Ritz the extra broad tyres provided in Ritz ZXI takes care of body roll which is a wonderful input I got from your review. Mist cleaning issue is manageable one for Chenniites (Chennai is hardly misty) and being tall I am able to reach the windshield..thank god . In fact upon TD I realized that driving comfort is amazingly top-class in ZXI than LXI and this generously accommodates 5 on a cruise. Thanks to your useful inputs. I'll write on durability, performance after 3 service etc in due course.

vjs
A Ritz ZXI is certainly a fantastic car packed to the gill with all the frills and fitments, provided one has the budget for it. If I had such a budget, I too may have considered the Ritz ZXI for its luxury/safety features. All the very best to your Ritz ZXI and I await your ownership experience on this forum.
Old 15th March 2011, 01:30   #89
BHPian

I conducted the fourth fuel efficiency test of my I10 this evening and found out that my I10 had gulped 23.88 litres to run 420 kms, generating an FE of 17.59 kmpl. The driving conditions were similar (100% intra and inter city here in Goa) to those when I had conducted my third FE test, reported in this thread.

Incidentally, I have documented every litre put into my I10 since the day we bought the I10. For the benefit of the reader, the Excel file of the I10's FE is attached below. Click to open and read it.

I10-FE.xls

The (T) indicates the top-up using the auto cut-off system, which was conducted at the same dispenser of the same petrol pump, to enable accurate results.

The consistent 17+ kmpl figures on 4 FE tests so far reaffirms my belief that the I10 can deliver an impressive FE.

Last edited by misquitas : 15th March 2011 at 01:34.
Old 31st March 2011, 17:15   #90

Hello,

This is most extensive review on i10, I've seen on net. Can you please shed some light on following doubts.

1. i10 magna does not come with Rear wiper and defogger, is that a must for bangalore weather. And that is something you cannot get it fitted unless you shell out 25K. Which is not worth. Is this feature must

2. About the FE on bangalore roads, how much to expect for this new kappa2 engine as people with kappa are getting around 12km.

thanks in advance.
kanva

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks