Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 11:38   #436
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 15000 km & first service update

Congrats on the 10K mark, Noop. That indeed was pretty quick. Seems like you and Subodh are in a race to reach a certain pre defined benchmark.

Glad to know that the FE has increased over time. How's the Aceleres performing? As Dotty mentioned, would be good to take her out for a spin now, specially since the engine would have opened up. Me thinks, its time for a meet .
Old 16th September 2011, 14:01   #437
BHPian

Looks like I'm late, Nevertheless congrats on the 10K mark noops! It has indeed been a pleasure following your thread. I too completed 11.5k on my Aria so I know how it must feel. Do drop by my thread as well.

One Q I had was that if driven with a light foot, what is the best FE you have managed in city traffic? I ask this because I am looking for a car in this segment but the petrol price hikes have scared me away!

Zap
Zappex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 14:04   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Zappex. In city traffic, even with a ligt foot, you should not expect more than 8 kmpl, perhaps 9. If you're lucky 10.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:12   #439
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
In city traffic, even with a ligt foot, you should not expect more than 8 kmpl, perhaps 9. If you're lucky 10.
This is what bothers me. How come the 1.6 gives 8-9 in the same city where Civic AT returns 10 always. Either it must be the Hinjewadi traffic that you have to wade through everyday or the Civic's 1.8 is a leaner sipper. I am not trying to say this car is better than the other, all I am saying is that it is a mystery.
Old 16th September 2011, 21:41   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This is what bothers me. How come the 1.6 gives 8-9 in the same city where Civic AT returns 10 always. Either it must be the Hinjewadi traffic that you have to wade through everyday or the Civic's 1.8 is a leaner sipper. I am not trying to say this car is better than the other, all I am saying is that it is a mystery.
Hi dot,
You talking of the Vento & Civic ? Or the City ? Check the weights of the cars and the power/torque etc which could hold the key. Civic may be a halka-phulka Jap baby and the Vento a heavy plated German Dasch !

Last edited by Guderian : 16th September 2011 at 21:43.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 21:54   #441
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi dot,
You talking of the Vento & Civic ? Or the City ? Check the weights of the cars and the power/torque etc which could hold the key. Civic may be a halka-phulka Jap baby and the Vento a heavy plated German Dasch !
Interesting point. Here is the data,
Vento

Max power = 105 PS
Kerb weight (AT) = 1180 Kg

Max power/weight = 0.089

Civic

Max power = 132 PS
Kerb weight (AT) = 1240 Kg

Max power/weight = 0.106

While the power/weight ratio will change at different RPM ranges, but it is safe to say that Civic is expected to consume less fuel than the Vento if driven in similar styles, just as you rightly pointed out.
As they say, size sometimes matter.

Last edited by dot : 16th September 2011 at 21:57.
Old 16th September 2011, 22:05   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting point.
Hi dot,
Thanks for the data.
And 'isme phir milayee jaye - driving style'.
And 'hoga jo nasha jo tayyar woh FE hai !' To quote an old Dev Anand song.
Old 17th September 2011, 13:39   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the data. More than power/weight, I think the main concern area is that the VW petrol engine virtually gulps fuel at low speeds. I sometimes flick on the instantaneous power consumption and it is absolutely abysmal in 1st and 2nd, which is what I am usually stuck in during my HJW commute and in Mumbai suburban runs.

Once you shift to 3rd and above, the instt. consumption gets healthier and the car is in its element. You can run the car to the ground between 80 and 140 kmph and lose very little in terms of FE (no kidding), but just get stuck at sub-20 speeds for 20 minutes daily and that is enough to wreck your mileage!

I don't know what the reason is the engine behaves this way: the VW diesels certainly don't behave this way (on my rain madness thread, when I reported around 3.x kmpl average consumption over a really bad stretch, Swanand's Laura which is a bigger engine (1.9L) managed a health 10 or so).

It's really starting to hurt- the cost of my Metallica roadtrip for fuel alone will be over 12K (at today's prices). If my friend gets his Linea MJD he wil manage in about HALF that. Seriously wondering for the first tie if I should have sacrificed the comfort of the AT for the economy of a Tdi!
Old 17th September 2011, 18:21   #444
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
the main concern area is that the VW petrol engine virtually gulps fuel at low speeds. I sometimes flick on the instantaneous power consumption and it is absolutely abysmal in 1st and 2nd,

It's really starting to hurt-
In that case you can perhaps adopt a few hypermiling practices. Some measures are simple yet effective. Like maintaining higher tyre pressures, for example 35psi. Switch off AC at deadslow traffic. It is uncomfortable for sure, but if you are the only person in the car, a little discomfort can be tolerated. Switching on AC after the engine warms up is another neat technique. Since you can drive in paddle, that might be used in dead slow traffic. For example, shift to 2nd gear when normally D would continue in first gear. Another technique is creep instead of full stop wherever possible, as energy to overcome static friction is higher than rolling friction. Finally switch off engine if the stop is over 60 sec; and one can switch off at any gear position, that also saves some fuel. I know you probably follow a few such practices already, just thought to let you know.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 18:32   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case you can perhaps adopt a few hypermiling practices.
Another Hypermiling practice - leave the car...take an auto ! Oops - I'll be hammered.

However what I would also state is what I had stated earlier - check with other Vento A/T owners whether they are also getting the same FE returns. That'll give you a fair idea whether Fraulein is behaving odd or is following the herd tendency.
Do report back !

Last edited by Guderian : 17th September 2011 at 18:33.
Old 17th September 2011, 18:37   #446
Team-BHP Support

I wouldn't really worry about the mileage your getting noopster. When the Hyundai i10 AT can deliver similar FE figures of 8-9kmpl then the Vento should be no better.

Apart from the engine itself not being efficient you also have to see the AT box. The Vento's traditional torque converter AT box must be having a much higher tranmission loas blunting the performance and dropping the FE.

Start looking at a super efficient diesel hatch like the Beat D to offset the cost of the petrol sedan.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 18:55   #447
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Another Hypermiling practice - leave the car...take an auto ! Oops - I'll be hammered.
Actually running cost of Fraulein will be lower than hiring an auto on per kilometer basis. For example, auto charges about Rs10/Km or more. Car is still cheaper. Further you get to travel in AC with ICE. And no "one and half" or double meter.
Old 17th September 2011, 23:08   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Start looking at a super efficient diesel hatch like the Beat D to offset the cost of the petrol sedan.
I believe Noopster has another vehicle, a petrol swift if I remember correctly.

A CNG tank addition should be cheaper & far more (fuel)efficient option for the Hinjewadi traffic, methinks.

Quote:
Actually running cost of Fraulein will be lower than hiring an auto on per kilometer basis. For example, auto charges about Rs10/Km or more. Car is still cheaper. Further you get to travel in AC with ICE. And no "one and half" or double meter.
Autos in Pune, that too for Hinjewadi traffic? He'll get easier options if he wanted one to go to the moon
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 06:01   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Uh-oh...errr...cycle ? He can carry an iPod (for ICE) and no AC required - in lieu of the air in hair experience !
But seriously speaking I am not that very sure overall whether a car would be cheaper than autos if you were to take capital costs and cost of maintenance as well.

But that FE issue certainly needs a check - what with the petrol costs having gone where it has !
Old 18th September 2011, 14:18   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
I think the main concern area is that the VW petrol engine virtually gulps fuel at low speeds. it is absolutely abysmal in 1st and 2nd, which is what I am usually stuck in during my HJW commute and in Mumbai suburban runs. I don't know what the reason is the engine behaves this way!
Be glad you do most of your running in Poona.. Think of us poor Bombayites, especially those doing cross town runs. Actually I am surprised why the diesel does not experience a similar drop in consumption at low speeds with the AC on. But given your high usage, a diesel may have made sense. Shocked that VW does not have a Vento diesel AT.

Last edited by Hayek : 18th September 2011 at 14:21.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks