Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:21   #31
BHPian

re: VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Today I got a bunch of coupons from VW . The useful amongst them was a Free Car Wash coupon and another coupon for cleaning the pollen filter and air filter , this is under their "summer checkup" initiative . Nice gesture, though I still want the funky watch that one of the TBHP Vento owners got

Note to Mod : Could you please modify the title of this thread to " Vento Highline TDi - My Silver Streak "
Please enlighten me on how you got those coupons? I have received no free gift!
Old 23rd May 2011, 23:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

re: VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Please enlighten me on how you got those coupons? I have received no free gift!
I also never received any free gift . The coupons were couriered to my address by VW - it does not need asking for . The accompanying letter talks about summer care . I guess they are sending the 4-5 coupons to all VW ( not only Vento) owners since one of the coupons entitles one to a discount on a blue tooth player but the fine print mentions that its applicable only to Jetta and Passat
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 19:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Vento Highline TDi- My Silver Streak - 15K km first service Completed

Got my first service done , the car has done 14,500 km till date ( today it completes 8 months to the dot )

Service Update

Service centre - Volkswagen , Nerul ( KSM Motors )
SA - Dinesh Nayak ( Highly recommended - ex Honda guy and it shows in his dealings . Soft spoken, to the point, delivers what he promises , gives good advice on what should be done and what is a waste of money. Has been there at the VW workshop for the last 18 months )

Stuff which were asked not to be done ( would be shorter for me to write)-
  • Wheel Alignment and Balancing - Got new tyres a week back when the same was done so this was not necessary ( savings appox Rs 1000)
  • Engine Oil Change - Have shifted to fully synthetic Mobil1 0W-40 which the service centre refused to fill since the company recommended is Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W-40 , i will get this done from outside ( Reduction of approx Rs 4900/- as otherwise Rs 975/lt * 5 lts would have been added to the bill )
  • Plug - I am not sure what that means but have seen it being changed in a few bills thats been uploaded here , costs Rs 80
Breakup of the Bill -
Parts ( approximation used and inclusive of tax )
  • Oil filter - Rs 370 ( I realised that I have wasted my money here since if one is getting engine oil changed from outside , the oil filter should be changed there also else the "dirty" oil will flow inside the new filter ! Skipped my mind , so many exclusions ! )
  • Air Filter - Rs 575
  • Dust and Pollen filter - Rs 970
  • Windshield cleaner - Rs 255 ( that heavenly perfumed one I suppose)
  • Consumable - Rs 100 ( sundry )
Labour Charges
  • Oil filter replacement - Rs.115
  • Air cleaner element removed + reinstalled - Rs115
  • Dust and pollen filter removed and reinstalled - Rs 80
  • Battery check - Rs 80
  • GFF / Guided functions ( whatever that is ) - Rs 110
  • Vehicle wash - Rs 385 ( thats slightly less than how much the monthly guy takes and not much difference in the shine )
  • Brake pad cleaning - Rs385
So overall service bill with the above mentioned exclusions came to Rs 3450 ( give or take a hundred bucks here and there )

Other stuff that I got done are :-
Tail light assembly change - The tail light assembly costs Rs 1976 and labour charge was Rs115
Repair of the front left ac vent vertical vane - Rs 230

Important - Ihave been told by Dinesh ( SA) that the door beading of my car would be replaced under warranty - this is as per instructions of VW. Seems like there maybe issues with the door beading of Ventos , please keep an ear out for any noise . It was a chance discovery as I casually mentioned " darwaza mein awaz hai " while handing over the car to the SA (old habit from those days when I used to get my Swift serviced) , thats when I was told the same . My bill mentions that door bead has been ordered , the SA would call me within a couple of week's time.

Overall it was a good experience , the car was handed over to me with the complete work done . The staff was courteous . Can't comment on timelines being met because i was myself late each way
souravc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 19:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oil filter - Rs 370 ( I realised that I have wasted my money here since if one is getting engine oil changed from outside , the oil filter should be changed there also else the "dirty" oil will flow inside the new filter ! Skipped my mind , so many exclusions ! )
Since the oil filter was changed, without changing the oil, did you check the oil level before you took the car delivery? I believe the old oil filter would have taken some oil with it & the level dropped. Not sure if the level drop would be that significant, but it would be prudent to get the oil level checked & top up if it is below the optimum mark..
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 20:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Since the oil filter was changed, without changing the oil, did you check the oil level before you took the car delivery? I believe the old oil filter would have taken some oil with it & the level dropped. Not sure if the level drop would be that significant, but it would be prudent to get the oil level checked & top up if it is below the optimum mark..
Thanks for pointing it out . You are right , for the Vento around 0.75 lt of oil gets drained out , thats why I had kept a litre of oil in store which I poured in once the car was handed over
Old 9th November 2011, 20:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the detailed report. You had mentioned in the TD thread that taillight ,assembly will cost you close to 3k, whereas I see a charge of only 1976 here? Do they have just the outer covering alone?

And for the door beadings - Is it for all the doors?

I have a suspicion that this is to eliminate the water seepage issue that I noticed with the vento, especially the rear. Though it doesnt enter the cabin, I have seen water droplets entering through the beadings on the rear door under the foot step area. Can you check if this change is to avoid this issue?

Quote:
Tail light assembly change - The tail light assembly costs Rs 1976 and labour charge was Rs115

Important - Ihave been told by Dinesh ( SA) that the door beading of my car would be replaced under warranty - this is as per instructions of VW.
Old 9th November 2011, 21:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Thank you for the detailed report. You had mentioned in the TD thread that taillight ,assembly will cost you close to 3k, whereas I see a charge of only 1976 here? Do they have just the outer covering alone?
Its the whole assembly and not the outer covering , there is no provision for only the outer covering to be replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
And for the door beadings - Is it for all the doors?

I have a suspicion that this is to eliminate the water seepage issue that I noticed with the vento, especially the rear. Though it doesnt enter the cabin, I have seen water droplets entering through the beadings on the rear door under the foot step area. Can you check if this change is to avoid this issue?
Its for all the doors - mine is for door noise only , according to the SA it should be completely quiet . I don't have any water seepage issue, so didn't have anything to report on that count . Further , since its stopped raining in Mumbai I don't suppose that any water seepage issue could have been noticed by the SA so its purely to stop door noise ( I can't call it rattle like it does in my Swift , its faint but does make a creaking sound when the car goes over pot holes or bumps )
Old 10th November 2011, 00:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my first service done , the car has done 14,500 km till date ( today it completes 8 months to the dot )

Service Update

Stuff which were asked not to be done ( would be shorter for me to write)-
  • Plug - I am not sure what that means but have seen it being changed in a few bills thats been uploaded here , costs Rs 80
  • Oil filter - Rs 370 ( I realised that I have wasted my money here since if one is getting engine oil changed from outside , the oil filter should be changed there also else the "dirty" oil will flow inside the new filter ! Skipped my mind , so many exclusions ! )

Important - Ihave been told by Dinesh ( SA) that the door beading of my car would be replaced under warranty - this is as per instructions of VW. Seems like there maybe issues with the door beading of Ventos , please keep an ear out for any noise . It was a chance discovery as I casually mentioned " darwaza mein awaz hai " while handing over the car to the SA (old habit from those days when I used to get my Swift serviced) , thats when I was told the same . My bill mentions that door bead has been ordered , the SA would call me within a couple of week's time.
Sourav thanks for the update. When you got your oil changed, did you even got the oil filter changed? Has the plug been changed in your car, at least once? Because when ever oil is changed/drained, the plug/screw of the oil sump is also changed.
And did the SA Dinesh told you that any specific batch of Vento beading has to be changed or is it applicable to all. As my Vento is March batch, as yours is also from March batch. Any specific time frame given for the replacement of the beading, as I would be getting my Vento serviced in April 2012.
When you would be getting your car's beading replaced please can you ask for is it also applicable to other car's too.
Old 10th November 2011, 00:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Sourav thanks for the update. When you got your oil changed, did you even got the oil filter changed? Has the plug been changed in your car, at least once? Because when ever oil is changed/drained, the plug/screw of the oil sump is also changed.
And did the SA Dinesh told you that any specific batch of Vento beading has to be changed or is it applicable to all. As my Vento is March batch, as yours is also from March batch. Any specific time frame given for the replacement of the beading, as I would be getting my Vento serviced in April 2012.
When you would be getting your car's beading replaced please can you ask for is it also applicable to other car's too.
Yes , Oil filter has been changed [ cost me 370 , given in the breakup ] . Plug has not been changed - as I understand from the guy who changes my oil its not that important to change it .
On the matter of beading , he didn't mention any specific batch . He mentioned that there has been problems and VW has instructed them to replace the bead under warranty . You should be doing fine even if you get your servcing done in April 2012 , first and foremost you got to know whether there is any rattle / squeak - don't get unduly worried.
Old 10th November 2011, 01:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:

So overall service bill with the above mentioned exclusions came to Rs 3450 ( give or take a hundred bucks here and there )
That's even less than what I pay for my Swift diesel regular service, which is normally in the range of 5000 Rs, and once topped 9000 Rs when the SA looted me in the name of all the additives!! That's really awesome for a brand like VW!!
So the common notion that VW would have high maintenance cost is now abolished, cool!!
Old 10th November 2011, 01:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
That's even less than what I pay for my Swift diesel regular service, which is normally in the range of 5000 Rs, and once topped 9000 Rs when the SA looted me in the name of all the additives!! That's really awesome for a brand like VW!!
So the common notion that VW would have high maintenance cost is now abolished, cool!!
Please note the exclusions if you are to make the correct comparisons - engine oil and wheel balancing and alignment are not included which would have added apprx 6K. Its been reported by quite a few owners that the first service costs between 8.5K - 9.5K which for a 15K / 1 year interval is not too bad as it includes 5K worth of Engine oil

Last edited by souravc : 10th November 2011 at 01:29.
Old 10th November 2011, 01:27   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Please note the exclusions if you are to make the correct comparisons - engine oil and wheel balancing and alignment are not included which would have added apprx 6K. Its been reported by quite a few owners that the first service costs between 8.5K - 9.5K which for a 15K / 1 year interval is not too bad as it includes arond 5K worth of Engine oil
Still I would say it's good for a brand like VW, considering Swift service interval is 10K! And what I've quoted doesn't include wheel balancing/alignment, I get that done from outside tyre shops!! Plus the regular engine oil that Maruti used costs almost 900 Rs, rest is labour and parts!!!

Last edited by asethi : 10th November 2011 at 01:28.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:13   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
Still I would say it's good for a brand like VW, considering Swift service interval is 10K! And what I've quoted doesn't include wheel balancing/alignment, I get that done from outside tyre shops!! Plus the regular engine oil that Maruti used costs almost 900 Rs, rest is labour and parts!!!
I would agree with you on that , the service cost has been a surprise on the positive side and we see a consistency across cities ( Mumbai/Bangalore/Pune as far as I remember). If we normalise for the cost of the oil ( 900 Vs 5000 ) , it indeed works out cheaper in the Vento as compared to your car . I also own a Swift ( petrol ) , from my experience I must say that the charges for your car seem unusually high .
Old 10th November 2011, 11:35   #44
BHPian

Quote:
So the whole tail light assembly is 2091 !
Thats great, i'll change mine too. I dont know how it broke.
Old 11th November 2011, 15:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Hey, have you upgraded the tyres?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks