Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:32   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
they are audible when the car is going over undulating surface .
Same here.

Quote:
In fact a non VW workshop guy that I go to, showed me where its coming from by pressing the beading and the same sound was emitted . I am seriously in a quandry about what to do now !
Possible to show where exactly is this location? Else I might just spend the rest of the day pressing all over the beading of all 4 doors trying to emulate the sound
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:39   #92
BHPian

re: VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more

Have not heard any such noise from inside the car. Nothing that attracted my attention like you guys have mentioned. Will pay more attention the next time.
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:45   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Same here.

Possible to show where exactly is this location? Else I might just spend the rest of the day pressing all over the beading of all 4 doors trying to emulate the sound
Attaching an image with arrows pointing to where the squeaks in my car are getting generated from . If I am in a quiet area , I can hear it once I apply some force (with finger tips) on the rubber beading lining the door ( black lining on the door border ) - if the ambient noise is more, I can hear it when I press my ear against the window or door . When inside the car , this becomes audible clearly.
When the car is moving through undulating surface this beading, attached to the door, pushes against the rubber beading attached to the body of the car which leads to noise if the quality of rubber is suspect (hard). I checked the beadings on a Civic, its infinite times softer than the beadings on my Vento.
Its definitely not a noise from the door frame , hinges , etc if thats any comfort
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more-volkswagenventoimages.jpg  

souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 19:10   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Have not heard any such noise from inside the car. Nothing that attracted my attention like you guys have mentioned. Will pay more attention the next time.
Neither have I, though I have sometimes noticed a very faint "RRRRRRR" sound intermittently from somewhere near the front door on the left when the car is cruising over smooth surfaces . I took it to the workshop but usually Murphy's Law prevails in these situations so was not able to replicate it in front of the SA. The car has now endured the super treacherous roads of Kolkata (read littered with potholes and undulations) for over 4 months now and thankfully touchwood it has not faced or shown any other issues.

Quote:
Attaching an image with arrows pointing to where the squeaks in my car are getting generated from . If I am in a quiet area , I can hear it once I apply some force (with finger tips) on the rubber beading lining the door ( black lining on the door border ) - if the ambient noise is more, I can hear it when I press my ear against the window or door . When inside the car , this becomes audible clearly.
When the car is moving through undulating surface this beading, attached to the door, pushes against the rubber beading attached to the body of the car which leads to noise if the quality of rubber is suspect (hard). I checked the beadings on a Civic, its infinite times softer than the beadings on my Vento.
Its definitely not a noise from the door frame , hinges , etc if thats any comfort
Dang. Thats just too bad. Its just over a year old and its sad to hear of such irritating niggles in a car from a reputed manufacturer. Hope they are able to find a permanent fix for your issue soon.
Old 22nd November 2011, 23:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Neither have I, though I have sometimes noticed a very faint "RRRRRRR" sound intermittently from somewhere near the front door on the left when the car is cruising over smooth surfaces .
At what speeds do you hear the "Rrrr" noise ? Are you sure that its not wind noise - it maybe that if its coming from the top corner of the door .
Else please do check the undercarriage for any loose flapping edges in places such as mud flaps , any piece of wire, etc
Old 23rd November 2011, 06:25   #96
BHPian

Quote:
At what speeds do you hear the "Rrrr" noise ? Are you sure that its not wind noise - it maybe that if its coming from the top corner of the door .
Else please do check the undercarriage for any loose flapping edges in places such as mud flaps , any piece of wire, etc
I have observed this noise at steady speeds of 40 KMPH and above. It is very erratic but I am sure its not the wind instead something inside since it sounds like some loose part in the car. I have actually scouted for the noise in detail while my driver has driven the car but have still not been able to locate the source and I am sure its inside and not the undercarriage since it comes from somewhere at the top within the car. The most difficult part is it is very intermittent and faint making it more difficult to pin point.

I will have to continue searching for it a bit, maybe let it get more frequent or consistent so that it can be located correctly and fixed.
Old 24th November 2011, 21:52   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hi souravc,

Did you get your door beedings changed?
Have the noise dissapeared?

Actually I have been experiencing this sqeaking noise from the door beadings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Are you sure this is because of the door beadings? I thought it came someplace from the dashboard. Even BuB haven't been able to do anything to find the source or solution of the noise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Quote:
I will have to continue searching for it a bit, maybe let it get more frequent or consistent so that it can be located correctly and fixed.
I spent a couple of hours wracking my brains alongwith the non VW workshop guys , finally I think I have understood where the noise is coming from . If my understanding is correct then there is no cure as of now .
I am uploading a few pictures alongwith markings for easier understanding. Here I have represented the area where the squeaks emanate from (3rd pic ) . I have marked out the interacting parts which cause the squeaks (pic 2) , hope they are visible. Its the painted portion underneath of the door frame and a portion of the painted section of the door . I have concluded that there exists uneven gap between the door of the Vento and the frame and the squeaks are due to insufficient gap between the two at the offending places which make the 2 surfaces touch slightly when the car goes over undulating surface. Its due to the uneven gap that the squeaks are heard when certain portions are pressed against each other while for other portions of the same section its not (refer pic 2) It seems to be a moulding problem of the door and the door frame where the "nearly' mating surfaces have differing curvature which if true means that we have to live with the squeaks. The portions, which I am reasonably sure, touch cannot be covered with any rubber beading , they are painted shiny surfaces !
I feel a little deflated .
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more-squeaky-zone.jpg  

VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more-vento-door-frame.jpg  

VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more-edge-door.jpg  

Last edited by souravc : 24th November 2011 at 21:57.
souravc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 22:19   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I ain't surprised at that. And I thought squeaks were only with Maruti cars. Wonder what's next - rattles?

But I have already got used to it. That, and the hard clutch - guess owning a Maruti for several years helps you to "adjust" with the small issues your car brings up.

But excellent analysis - considering I gave up long back, have to appreciate your efforts in finding out the source issue
Old 24th November 2011, 22:38   #99
BHPian

Quote:
It seems to be a moulding problem of the door and the door frame where the "nearly' mating surfaces have differing curvature which if true means that we have to live with the squeaks. The portions, which I am reasonably sure, touch cannot be covered with any rubber beading , they are painted shiny surfaces !
Gosh thats really disappointing. From your account, this problem has only started occurring recently and not from the beginning, please correct me if I am wrong. Looks like one has to watch out for potential issues such as this arising out of normal use and tear. Hopefully you can show the problem to the VW guys and they might have some solution for you. Fingers crossed.

On another note this is not very confidence inspiring specially when my car has to travel some of the worst non-roads on my daily commute. I wonder what sort of problems could crop up in mine after a year of normal use.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:11   #100
Senior - BHPian

Update from my Goa trip and some learnings -

1. The car is awesome on the highway , we did Mumbai - Goa inside 8 hours , fantastic poise on the highway even at high speeds

2. C drives have very good grip and are noticeably silent even at speeds of 150+

3. I believe that C drives have not so tough side walls - if I am wrong then my car possibly had one in a million kind of puncture / rupture due to some foreign object which conspired to screw my tyre . Will let the pictures do the talking, please note that the 2 gashes are laterally along the side wall and the one near the rim is so near the alloys that I wonder why that foreign object was never found or my rim was not scratched/ damaged. The incident was certainly not one of the heaviest thuds, the Apollos had survived much worse in the 7-8 months that I had them. Yokos refused warranty which also reinforces my belief that tyre warranties are crap . I replaced the left front with Michelin primacy , part because i did not want to spend a single dime more on Yokos ( smoking out 5K in 3 weeks hurts ) and part because I wanted to do Michelin - Yokos comparo.

4. I drove around 300 km on my spare ( Apollos) . Some observations about Apollo vis-a-vis C drives were that my nitrogen filled C drives were at least a good 10 degrees cooler than my air filled Apollo

Quote:
Gosh thats really disappointing. From your account, this problem has only started occurring recently and not from the beginning, please correct me if I am wrong.
No, IMO this is a manufacturing defect , the 2 surfaces do not have uniform gaps , the curvatures differ . The noise emits from those places where the gap is less than the minimum that's required so in case of bad roads the shiny painted surfaces touch however slightly .
Attached Thumbnails
VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more-c-drive-punc-1.jpg  

VW Vento Highline TDi, My Silver Streak - 5 years, 78000 kms and still raring for many more-c-drive-punc-2.jpg  

Old 29th November 2011, 23:29   #101
BHPian

Quote:
3. I believe that C drives have not so tough side walls - if I am wrong then my car possibly had one in a million kind of puncture / rupture due to some foreign object which conspired to screw my tyre . Will let the pictures do the talking, please note that the 2 gashes are laterally along the side wall and the one near the rim is so near the alloys that I wonder why that foreign object was never found or my rim was not scratched/ damaged. The incident was certainly not one of the heaviest thuds, the Apollos had survived much worse in the 7-8 months that I had them. Yokos refused warranty which also reinforces my belief that tyre warranties are crap . I replaced the left front with Michelin primacy , part because i did not want to spend a single dime more on Yokos ( smoking out 5K in 3 weeks hurts ) and part because I wanted to do Michelin - Yokos comparo.
Boy, you and your Vento are going through some real tough times . It really sucks to have new tires pick up damage so quickly and then the manufacturer refuses warranty citing some really absurd claims. Bala too found out the same the hard way with his alloys. Guess the only way out is to go real slow if one encounters some rough areas on the road and avoid night time driving as much as possible. Will follow that to the T henceforth.

On another note, warranties and extended warranties are just marketing scams in my view since in my experience all manufacturers find innovative ways of wiggling out of honoring their warranties. The only way out is buying a product after extensive research and feedback and ignore all the marketing jargon used to sell products.
Old 30th November 2011, 01:18   #102
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to learn about the beating your C drive & your wallet have taken. As for the warranty with the kind of cuts the side wall and the tread have, no manufacturer would admit a claim for warranty.

Warranty is basically admissible against manufacturing defects, whereas this is clearly a cut from a stray piece of metal that might have fallen off a heavier vehicle or the tire having clipped one of the numerous remanentes of the iron poles (from telephone to whatever) that become a part of the highway network due to road widening / re-alignment but are never really dug out completely and the end parts left sticking out can and have resulted in more severe damage to life and limb what to say about tires. It is unfortunate that you clipped what you clipped.

It will be interesting to see how the comparo of the Primacy LC & the C drives turns out.
Old 30th November 2011, 10:48   #103
Senior - BHPian

Just when I had a burst in my stock apollo's and replaced all of them with C-drives, I'm coming across this post of yours. Dont really know what to say!

I noticed the steering to be light with the C-drives compared to the apollos. Lower rolling resistance - may be?

And yes, I have the "squeak" in my car too and after going through your explanation, I'm not even going to be bothered about it. If anything, it is an inspiration for me to upgrade the junk OEM HU and speakers. Coming from the swift background helps too

Quote:
I believe that C drives have not so tough side walls - if I am wrong then my car possibly had one in a million kind of puncture / rupture due to some foreign object which conspired to screw my tyre .
4. I drove around 300 km on my spare ( Apollos) . Some observations about Apollo vis-a-vis C drives were that my nitrogen filled C drives were at least a good 10 degrees cooler than my air filled Apollo
I dont have any personal experience, but I have heard comments that the primacy LC is softer than the C-Drives. Anyways, its only one tyre that is different in this case and may not reveal anything significant, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
It will be interesting to see how the comparo of the Primacy LC & the C drives turns out.
Old 30th November 2011, 20:02   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to learn about the beating your C drive & your wallet have taken. .
I have rationalised it as rarest of rare cases and moved on . I had a nice chat with the dealer , I do respect his knowledge - he has been a tyre dealer for more than 30 years and he also mentioned that this is the first time in his life that he is seeing such a precision knife through tyre damage which has cleanly cut through the toe and even knifed through near the rim but not left a scratch anywhere ! The damn thing was not even lodged in the tyre , I could have the pleasure of cursing at it

Quote:
Indeed it would be interesting , I am especially interested given that they will nearly doing the same kilometres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Just when I had a burst in my stock apollo's and replaced all of them with C-drives, I'm coming across this post of yours. Dont really know what to say!

I noticed the steering to be light with the C-drives compared to the apollos. Lower rolling resistance - may be?

And yes, I have the "squeak" in my car too and after going through your explanation, I'm not even going to be bothered about it. If anything, it is an inspiration for me to upgrade the junk OEM HU and speakers. Coming from the swift background helps too

I dont have any personal experience, but I have heard comments that the primacy LC is softer than the C-Drives. Anyways, its only one tyre that is different in this case and may not reveal anything significant, right?
Bala the C drives are very good tyres only that the tyre wall maybe a weak link, I am sure that the primacies would also not be much different - I will learn to be more careful . C drives do not have lower rolling resistance , if they did then braking distance would have been compromised and it certainly gives better braking that apollos - be aware that the C drives have a "run in " of around 500 km , the tyres improve post that
Old 30th November 2011, 23:02   #105
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. The steering has definitely become lighter and the steering play has increased too. Can't really understand why, but could feel the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc

Bala the C drives are very good tyres only that the tyre wall maybe a weak link, I am sure that the primacies would also not be much different - I will learn to be more careful . C drives do not have lower rolling resistance , if they did then braking distance would have been compromised and it certainly gives better braking that apollos - be aware that the C drives have a "run in " of around 500 km , the tyres improve post that

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks