Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:24   #31
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

The Passat will be the perfect bet but the only fly in the ointment is that the service centre is far away at Madurai, which also has Mercedes service centre. No BMW or Audi in Madurai yet though. Also if you want diesel+looks+service centres around Nagercoil, the only bet is the Chevrolet Cruze. But again its not having a powerful badge. If not the Cruze and i45, probably you need to look petrol-wards or be prepared to go some extra miles to get your ride serviced. Check out the Passat HL. If not, settle for the Superb Diesel. It may be common, but then the car is fantastic.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Although given your budget it probably should not be in this list, but then it'll surely be verrrry exclusive yet with low low snob value - Kizashi !
Hehehe Yeah I was wondering why no one mentioned the Kizashi before. Well the car has good reviews abroad as a great car to drive and some decent amount of spec but I don't want to get abused by people for buying a Maruti at 20+ lakhs. Even if it looked different than an SX4 i would have given it a thought but it isn't. Sorry Suzuki :-(.
Old 3rd May 2011, 02:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
The Passat will be the perfect bet but the only fly in the ointment is that the service centre is far away at Madurai, which also has Mercedes service centre. No BMW or Audi in Madurai yet though. Also if you want diesel+looks+service centres around Nagercoil, the only bet is the Chevrolet Cruze. But again its not having a powerful badge. If not the Cruze and i45, probably you need to look petrol-wards or be prepared to go some extra miles to get your ride serviced. Check out the Passat HL. If not, settle for the Superb Diesel. It may be common, but then the car is fantastic.
The main problem is Audi is not in Madurai else it's a no brainer for me. Since it isn't, I'm in a dilemma. In Madurai there's Skoda , VW and Mercedes(which I just found out).

Just thought about test driving the C class although not really interested in it. There's no Passat for TD yet, so I just have to wait for that.

The only car that's a back up if all else fails is the Accord, well maybe then Superb also might get a chance since few like you have recommended it strongly.
Old 5th May 2011, 19:16   #34
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
The main problem is Audi is not in Madurai else it's a no brainer for me.
Audi wont set up shop in Madurai anytime soon it seems as the market for premium sedans isn't that evolved here and even spotting a BMW X5, Merc S-Class or even a E-Class is rare. There are a few A4's and 3-series's though.

If you are considering driving all over to Madurai from Nagercoil for a service, then why not drive upto Kochi for the same. Kochi has a Audi dealership and the difference in distance between Nagercoil-Madurai and Nagercoil-Kochi wont be much I guess, say Nagercoil-Kochi will be around 300 kms and Nagercoil-Madurai is around 220 kms. Though the NH-7 to Madurai is a pleasure to drive. Still I would say follow your heart and get an Audi A4.
Old 5th May 2011, 19:58   #35
BHPian

Within 30-lakhs, when it comes to maximum value for money, insane amounts of features and equipment, nothing comes close to the new passat. I do agree that the car has everything and on paper is irresistible, the car lacks a soul which will drag you towards it.

Your heart is pumping for the A4 as i have read. Buying the A4 with the on-going engine, the 2.0L TDI which churns out a poor 140bhp is pointless. It feels underpowed. Wait for the 170bhp engine to be introduced in the A4. Mercedes, the face-lifted C-class is due by the end of June. As per my knowledge, even they have loaded the new car with additional features and equipment. You could wait for that one and TD it too.

VW Passat 2.0L TDI highline - Most practical buy. Superb value for money, equipment and feature list to put the big 3 Germans to shame, affordable, economical.
A4 2.0L TDI - I would suggest wait for the 170bhp 2.0L to be planted in it first, before you follow your heart.
C-Class - Do consider TD'ing the new upcoming replacement for the C, it seems promising.

From the jap range, I can suggest only 1 car to my personal taste, The Honda Accord 2.4 M/T. Love the looks, loaded with equipment and features (not as much as the passat, but this much is sufficient). Quite a power house under the bonnet, drives really well, comfort and legroom is amazing.
n:CorE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 17:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The main problem is Audi is not in Madurai else it's a no brainer for me. Since it isn't, I'm in a dilemma. In Madurai there's Skoda , VW and Mercedes(which I just found out).

Just thought about test driving the C class although not really interested in it. There's no Passat for TD yet, so I just have to wait for that.

The only car that's a back up if all else fails is the Accord, well maybe then Superb also might get a chance since few like you have recommended it strongly.
Try the A4 2.0TFSI.
Awesome!!
Makes the 2.0TDI feel sedate.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
If you are considering driving all over to Madurai from Nagercoil for a service, then why not drive upto Kochi for the same. Kochi has a Audi dealership and the difference in distance between Nagercoil-Madurai and Nagercoil-Kochi wont be much I guess, say Nagercoil-Kochi will be around 300 kms and Nagercoil-Madurai is around 220 kms. Though the NH-7 to Madurai is a pleasure to drive. Still I would say follow your heart and get an Audi A4.
Kochi is like really far away, plus the roads leading to that place is even more conjested(trivandrum). It takes like 4.5 -5 hours to reach Kochi but Madurai can be done in 2-2.5 hours due to the better highways there now.

Last edited by manson : 7th May 2011 at 13:41.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinedoc View Post
Try the A4 2.0TFSI.
Awesome!!
Makes the 2.0TDI feel sedate.
Thanks Divinedoc. Yeah I know that engine is really good. It's the same engine in the Skoda laura right ?

Well our priority right now is for Diesel engine since there will be a lot of highway cruising. I think once the 170 Bhp TDI engine comes in the A4, it will be alright.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE View Post
C-Class - Do consider TD'ing the new upcoming replacement for the C, it seems promising.
Hi nCore.Is there any change in the engine for the new C ?. Do you have any link to reviews for the same. Thanks. I don't think their(Merc) site is very useful.
Old 7th May 2011, 14:07   #40
BHPian

hi for the price range between25-30 lakhs the best combination of size, features, comfort, driving pleasure, technology, safety, space, mileage etc., etc., is the new Volkswagen Passat. One can go for it with his eyes closed and never have a reason to repent or complain.
May be Volkswagen does not have brand image of Merc, Audi or BMW but in all other respects or parameters is better than the others. Skoda Superb is aged and will likely be revived in the recent future. So IMHO Passat is the best and will not cost you much on maintenance also. Go for it and you will thank me for my advice.
patil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2011, 13:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

BMW X1 is also in the mix now. Almost close to booking. Will keep you guys updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If not an SUV, still not the X1?
Definitely worthy of a thought!
Hi Ampere , just spoke to BMW guys and also considering the X1 as you've mentioned before. They said they would come to my native and would take the car away for services etc. So there is no point ignoring that.A big +1 to BMW.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

X1 is fantastic. And the one i would go for too.
But here is a little twistie.
The outgoing C is going out with a bang.
Flat 4 lakhs off. And this is the minimum. One can haggle further.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
X1 is fantastic. And the one i would go for too.
But here is a little twistie.
The outgoing C is going out with a bang.
Flat 4 lakhs off. And this is the minimum. One can haggle further.
A.S.S and reliability is a big issue with Mercs. Their arrogant behavior also does not help matters. So 4 or 5 Lakhs off is still not worth it.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:36   #44
Senior - BHPian

Point noted. And as mentioned before X1 is the one i would go for too.
Which variant are you zeroing in on?
Old 8th July 2011, 18:23   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Ampere , just spoke to BMW guys and also considering the X1 as you've mentioned before. They said they would come to my native and would take the car away for services etc. So there is no point ignoring that.A big +1 to BMW.

Great to know that. Do also note (Someone told me this. Not sure how far is this true).
They dont even have a stepney! The claim is you can drive 200km or somewhere around that with a puncture and by then you will find a shop! Please do check on that.

But some how I did not buy that argument. Tyres are tyres. They can go flat!

Last edited by ampere : 8th July 2011 at 18:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks