Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2012, 23:20   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Teana versus Skoda Superb versus VW Passat versus Volvo S60

Just the thread I wanted to start myself since a friend is looking to buy a 25L Rs sedan and is confused between Superb and Passat.

Superb has slightly more number of features but the Passat is not too far behind and offers you enough features. To compensate for that the Passat has better tuned engine and should be more fun to drive than the Superb. Rear seat space is also almost the same in both the cars. The Risk of DSG failure is also shared by both.
Another thing I felt was that the Passat is a newly launched model and also is kind of exclusive on the road. The superb on the other hand should see a facelift in the near future and also has become too common on the roads if that kind of thing bothers you.

My pick would be the Passat 2.0 TDI CL or HL and thats what I recommended to my friend too.
Old 21st December 2012, 05:25   #122
Senior - BHPian

Would you be willing to go pre-worshipped. If so, forget about the a4/3 series/c class. You could with a little looking and patience even get a a6/5 series/e class. A friend recently bought a 2011 530d for around 22L. So the deals are out there. Yes he got a good one on a bank repossessed one, but still.
Old 21st December 2012, 07:47   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post

1. Budget upto 30L
2. Great legroom at the back
3. Fun to drive
4. Reliable A.S.S
5. Badge value not a critical priority but cant buy a Hyundai

Heard a lot about the Superb interiors and legroom but worried about reliability. .
Hello, Considering your requirements I would suggest you to go for Skoda Superb DSG. Great legroom at the back, superfast shifts from the DSG g'box. As far as reliable A.S.S is taken care of, Skoda can't match others due to the various horror stories floating on net but remember one thing, the probability of such horror events is miniscule and even if so, why blame it on a good car. Car ain't defective, the dealer is and I suggest you don't deviate your decision on this parameter. There are some happy Superb owners I've met and none have complained about the dealership experience.

Else, VW Passat and Accord are also worth-to-notice. Though on the legroom aspect, they might fail on your list but if you really want peace of mind, then way to go towards these. Passat is only diesel and A.S.S may not be something to be happy about but then Accord is only Petrol and A.S.S is good and both are great and fun to drive. So, you could once again rethink your decision about not purchasing Superb but as of now, my vote goes to Superb!

Hope this helps!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 21st December 2012 at 07:48. Reason: Extra info.
S@ndy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:58   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. Reliable A.S.S
This requirement means you should stay away from the Europeans. Nissan Teana looks a more viable option to me although i am not very sure if their A.S.S. is as good as other Japs in the market.

Volvo seems like a good option, only problem lack of dealership, and i believe it might result in lack of parts availability making the pleasure of owning such a beauty sour. My suggestion, please revisit the list of cars shortlisted or rework/rethink/remove the Reliable requirement
Old 21st December 2012, 13:01   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

New Toyota Camry. Fulfils most of your requirements except probably the fun to drive part. Though not a slouch either.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:29   #126
BHPian

I tend to agree with Mohit there. The heart says go with the Superb TDI DSG, but the mind would pick the Passat because of its relative newness. The current Superb is approaching the latter third of its age cycle and is due for a facelift soon. Besides, personally I like the clean all-round styling of the VW over the slightly elongated body of the Skoda. Make no mistake though, the Superb is a fine fine package.

As I keep saying, the Superb is supremely kitted but the Passat Highline's equipment list is no walkover either. So not much of a compromise there. The Superb, in my opinion, owns the rear seat bench space and comfort over most cars in that segment so with a Passat that may perhaps be the only downer.

I've been behind the wheel of the new Passat so many times and it is so much fun to drive each time. Can tell you one thing for sure, you will not be losing out on that front to the Superb.

All in all, my vote's for the Passat. If you can stretch that 30 Lacs bar a little and get the Highline, nothing like it.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 21st December 2012 at 13:39.
Old 21st December 2012, 13:32   #127
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. Budget upto 30L
2. Great legroom at the back
3. Fun to drive
4. Reliable A.S.S
5. Badge value not a critical priority but cant buy a Hyundai
None of the luxury-barges are fun to drive. However, the VW Passat is the closest. Unfortunately, you are going to have to choose between fun to drive (Passat) and great legroom at the back (Superb, Teana, Accord, Camry).

Alternatively, you might want to wait for cheaper variants of the 3 Series (expected in 2013). It's got a comfortable back seat (though incomparable to the Superb / Teana) and is immensely fun to drive.

Quote:
Out of the 4 listed the fun-to-drive maybe the S60 (and the smallest). But I heard that Volvo does not provide a spare wheel, and that alone maybe a deterrent.
Vb-san, the S60 would be the worst choice for her. It's terribly cramped at the back, while the FWD S60s are boring to drive. The fun S60 is the T6, but it's for 40 lakhs!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 13:52   #128
Team-BHP Support

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vb-san, the S60 would be the worst choice for her. It's terribly cramped at the back, while the FWD S60s are boring to drive. The fun S60 is the T6, but it's for 40 lakhs!
True, when I mentioned fun-to-drive, I was indeed thinking of the T6, but did not realize that its around 45 lakhs On-road Mumbai!

On a side note, I actually think it will be good to check-out the Jetta highline (MT or DSG, based on the preference). The car has decent amount of space in the rear, fully loaded on safety (8 airbags + ESP), and feels very airy inside. Steering feel is not so bad, and 140ps TDI is indeed very capable. Even though the Passat has the 170ps tune, I feel the Jetta overall is a fun car in comparison.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st December 2012 at 13:54. Reason: additional comments
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 14:35   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel the Jetta overall is a fun car in comparison
The Superb DSG is almost similar to Jetta when in comes to driving fun. Jetta may have a slightly better drive because of the size but the package of Superb is something that cannot be ignored.

Between these two, i would definitely pick the superb.

Between Superb and Passat, i would still pick the superb. Every inch makes you feel supreme.

Passat makes you feel you are in a Jetta..A slightly bloated jetta

Superb makes me feel i am in a boat, in a limo, in a 7 series , in my HOME
Old 21st December 2012, 15:12   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Superb has slightly more number of features but the Passat is not too far behind and offers you enough features.
Superb has more features than the Passat CL but not the Passat HL.

Not to toot my own horn, but the pros and cons listed here pretty much sum up the cars -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...car-guide.html

Also in this case, I would take the Passat. The rear legroom is not bad by any means, its just that the Superb has massive rear legroom. The Passat legroom will be enough for most, remember it is a size above the Jetta still. Personally I would take the Passat over the Superb if the budget allows, unless the extra legroom of the Superb is really needed, and secondly VWs aftersales which isn't great while Skodas seems to be getting much better.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 21st December 2012 at 15:19.
Old 21st December 2012, 16:09   #131
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The Superb DSG is almost similar to Jetta when in comes to driving fun.
Not at all

The Superb's wheelbase is too long for it to be a fun car. The Jetta is just the right size and infinitely more chuckable. It'll run rings around the Superb in any driving condition.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 16:26   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Superb DSG is almost similar to Jetta when in comes to driving fun. Jetta may have a slightly better drive because of the size but the package of Superb is something that cannot be ignored.
An acquaintance thinks her petrol Superb is more fun to drive than her brother's petrol Laura.

You see, the word 'fun' is sort of subjective here, and people mix fun with the feeling of pleasure they get while driving it. For them, they give the car some stick on a straight line and come out grinning. And that's enough.

IMO, 'fun' is so much more than straight-line-stick-giving.

Quote:
Between Superb and Passat, i would still pick the superb. Every inch makes you feel supreme.
No comment.

Quote:
Passat makes you feel you are in a Jetta..A slightly bloated jetta
Is that such a bad thing?

The Jetta is a great car and so is the Passat. The Jetta offers you pretty much everything the Passat does - good ride / handling, good performance, good space and solid build quality. The Passat is a plusher car and definitely feels worth the extra given the added equipment. It just depends on your budget.

Quote:
Superb makes me feel i am in a boat, in a limo, in a 7 series , in my HOME
So you prioritize space and comfort over other things. You see, there is a car for everyone.
Old 21st December 2012, 16:45   #133
Senior - BHPian

Oops..sorry there.

Quote:
The Superb DSG is almost similar to Jetta when in comes to driving fun.
Depends on where you drive. On your regular usage the drive is similar. I still think the superb is fun to drive on most of the situations comparable to Jetta. And i mean this when i say regular driving. If you are regularly driving outside city and doing 300kms a day may be the fun factor is no longer in my picture and the comfort factor comes in.

Most of the cars in this segment are fun to drive for the normal use.

Quote:
So you prioritize space and comfort over other things. You see, there is a car for everyone. .
There is a car for everyone. I agree. Superb is the only reason i got my Jetta. As you rightly said, it was budget decision. Given a choice i would choose the Superb

Hail the superb to move me from an SUV decision to the wonderful Jetta.
Old 22nd December 2012, 15:35   #134
BHPian

It's unrealistic to expect a car to be great to drive and at the same time have rear seat comfort !

Do anyone ever buy a Ferrari for its internal room? Nor does anyone buy a tata winger for it's performance.

If badge is important, the don't consider anything other then merc, , Audi or bmw , rear seat if important it's an Audi , else for drivability it's the bmw.

Else best value for money and cost of ownership : Hyundai verna
Old 29th December 2012, 23:25   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Would you be willing to go pre-worshipped. If so, forget about the a4/3 series/c class. You could with a little looking and patience even get a a6/5 series/e class. A friend recently bought a 2011 530d for around 22L. So the deals are out there. Yes he got a good one on a bank repossessed one, but still.
Hang on a minute! Did you say 22L? For a F10 530d?

Back to topic:
If I was in the market to buy a sedan for around 30L I would definitely go for the Passat. They both may be very similar but the Superb has started showing it's age now. Plus the Passat is a better car to drive (with great comfort). Just what you are looking for right?

Or if pganapathy above is correct then you know what you could buy instead

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks