Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 12:14   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: 25-30 Lakh Car Buying Advice from Fellow Bhpians

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post
Thanks speedy .. I am not in India yet and should be there by the mid of next month. So the purchase should be done by the end of October.
It would have been an fantastic deal though !!
I would like to point out when you do come to India and TD these cars and please do consider the A4 2.0 tdi as well. I was never an Audi person but after owning the Q3 its all changed, in comparrision the X1 really feels cramped and does have a stiff ride.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 13:03   #107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Its a mixed bag with Audis. To answer a few of your queries -
Yes the 2.0T was an fwd ,possibly the only let down in an otherwise pleasant car. The gearbox was not a CVT (IIRC) but a 6-speed tiptronic.
7-speed DSGs are mated to cars which do not have extremely high torque figures. This particular module of DSG (the 7-speed) has no tolerance to torque figures above 450NM apparently (figure keeps changing with face-lifts) hence the 3.0 TDi variants tend to have 6-speed tiptronic gearboxes in place of DSGs though there are exceptions.
In case of the 2.0T though, if my memory serves me correct it was not a CVT.
The transmission you're referring to is the temperamental 7-speed (dry-clutch) DQ200 DSG also found in some Superbs. Is that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I would like to point out when you do come to India and TD these cars and please do consider the A4 2.0 tdi as well. I was never an Audi person but after owning the Q3 its all changed, in comparrision the X1 really feels cramped and does have a stiff ride.
Not to mention the classier interior in the Q3. From what I've read, the Q3's interior is a notch higher when compared to the X1's interior. And I have no reason not to believe that because the X1 that I'd been in didn't feel impressive. At least on the inside.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 13:06   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The transmission you're referring to is the temperamental 7-speed (dry-clutch) DQ200 DSG also found in some Superbs. Is that right?
Audis DSGs are called S-Tronic, and the 7 speed is different from the Skodas, which can only handle 250nm. In Audis the 7 speed is used in diesels too. Also I think the 2.0t came with a CVT, and it was only the 6 cylinder models which came with tiptronic.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 13:22   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to mention the classier interior in the Q3. From what I've read, the Q3's interior is a notch higher when compared to the X1's interior. And I have no reason not to believe that because the X1 that I'd been in didn't feel impressive. At least on the inside.
The Interiors of the Q3 are miles ahead when compared to the X1. The Top end q3 has the beige cream interiors and with the Panoramic roof cover opened it gives the sense of openess. The ride quality is well balanced between soft and stiff. The power delivery is smooth and you dont really feel small is underpowered..It was impressive at our German car drive.

The good part is the base variant quattro as well as the fwd Q3's will be making their way into India soon at a cheaper price starting from Rs 25 lakhs ex showroom.
Old 15th September 2012, 13:24   #110
Team-BHP Support

Yes I was aware of the trannys offered by Audi. Apart from the CVT on the 'lesser' Audis, they offered the DSG under the 'S-Tronic' moniker and a sequential semi-auto labeled 'R-Tronic' and the latter was recently discontinued and replaced by the S-Tronic on their hot variants.

What I didn't know: The 'box in the 2.0T is in fact a CVT and not regular torque-converter with tiptronic. This means that my friend who owns the 2.0T is highly misinformed. He insisted that it's a DSG!

Sorry for the OT.

If I had the money and I'm specifically asked to buy a small SUV, I'd take the Q3 with my eyes closed. But then again, I'd buy something entirely different with 30 lakhs in hand.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th September 2012 at 13:26.
Old 15th September 2012, 14:08   #111
Senior - BHPian

Precisely why i mentioned its a mixed bag. Audi does so many things that are questionable.
What akshay said is right, the S-tronic unit is different from the unit found in the Skodas. Yet it is not found on all Audi diesels. They have a wide array of trannys on various models ranging right from the 8-speed ZF, 6-speed tiptronic, the CVT & the 7-speed DSG. Another news that i cannot confirm is that the facelift R8 has an entirely revised gearbox. Whether S-tronic or R-tronic i dont know.
Lastly, why Audi do not add the 7-speed DSG and the 2.0 TDi in 170hp guise to the A4 is a question no one can answer. They didnt even get it with the facelift
Would serve them right if the new Ugly-mat3 '3' series trounces them.
Old 15th September 2012, 15:41   #112
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What I didn't know: The 'box in the 2.0T is in fact a CVT and not regular torque-converter with tiptronic. This means that my friend who owns the 2.0T is highly misinformed. He insisted that it's a DSG!
Maybe your friend was right
I just checked the specs of 2010 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI. It says 7-speed S-Tronic. This should be the same spec which was available in India.
http://www.oneshift.com/new_cars/car_specs.php?pid=2645

OT: I feel the the current gen A4 should be the last with a CVT transmission from Audi. All their newer models come with DSG - be it the A1, Q3, or the new A3.
Old 15th September 2012, 15:50   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Another news that i cannot confirm is that the facelift R8 has an entirely revised gearbox. Whether S-tronic or R-tronic i dont know.
The new R8 does get the S-Tronic. It replaces the slow and age-old sequential semi-auto R-Tronic 'box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I just checked the specs of 2010 Audi A4 2.0 TFSI. It says 7-speed S-Tronic. This should be the same spec which was available in India.

OT: I feel the the current gen A4 should be the last with a CVT transmission from Audi. All their newer models come with DSG - be it the A1, Q3, or the new A3.
Biju

There are two trims of the A4 2.0T that were available worldwide. Here in India, we got the cheaper EDIT: front-wheel-drive 2.0T that comes with a CVT, whereas elsewhere, you could opt for the 'Premium' trim that comes with the 7-speed S-Tronic 'box EDIT: and Quattro

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Sp...=Audi&model=A4

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th September 2012 at 16:24.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2012, 15:58   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There are two trims of the A4 2.0T that were available worldwide. Here in India, we got the cheaper 2.0T that comes with a CVT, whereas elsewhere, you could opt for the 'Premium' trim that comes with the 7-speed S-Tronic 'box.
Oops, I did not know that. Thanks for the correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
I chose the c200 avantgarde.
Congratulations! That’s a super cool Merc. Please do pen an ownership review when you get time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th September 2012 at 16:22. Reason: fixed quote-tags :)
Old 16th September 2012, 14:45   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

If I remember correctly even the 2.0t engine in India was detuned to 185bhp, and it wasn't 210bhp. And it had a CVT.

I think with front wheel drive cars Audi only offers the CVT, hence the A4 is still stuck with it.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 10:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
If I remember correctly even the 2.0t engine in India was detuned to 185bhp, and it wasn't 210bhp. And it had a CVT.

I think with front wheel drive cars Audi only offers the CVT, hence the A4 is still stuck with it.

Nope it was still at 210. Amir if you remember, who had accompanied us on our first DDT drive (silver 2.0T) told me.
Id asked him the same question. He had it confirmed with some honcho at Audi. It was at 210bhp but CVT or not i wasnt sure.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 17th September 2012 at 10:12.
Old 17th September 2012, 10:22   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope it was still at 210. Amir if you remember, who had accompanied us on our first DDT drive (silver 2.0T) told me.
Id asked him the same question. He had it confirmed with some honcho at Audi. It was at 210bhp but CVT or not i wasnt sure.
I also remember receiving a brochure, in which some 185 bhp was mentioned. Hence my confusion. Let me check and confirm.
Old 20th December 2012, 20:31   #118
BHPian

Nissan Teana versus Skoda Superb versus VW Passat versus Volvo S60

Ok, this is another one of the "dad needs an executive saloon" threads. It will be a chauffeur driven car on the weekdays and driven by me on weekends or on long jaunts to Goa with 4-5 friends. My dad is not fond of SUVs so those are out of consideration.

1. Budget upto 30L
2. Great legroom at the back
3. Fun to drive
4. Reliable A.S.S
5. Badge value not a critical priority but cant buy a Hyundai

Heard a lot about the Superb interiors and legroom but worried about reliability. Already have an S-Class in the garage so not keen on a Merc. Am getting the Teana for the test drive soon. The cars I have listed in the subject line are the ones that my dad is thinking about currently.

Thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 20th December 2012, 21:01   #119
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nissan Teana versus Skoda Superb versus VW Passat versus Volvo S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbehave View Post
1. Budget upto 30L
2. Great legroom at the back
3. Fun to drive
4. Reliable A.S.S
5. Badge value not a critical priority but cant buy a Hyundai

Thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Out of the 4 listed the fun-to-drive maybe the S60 (and the smallest). But I heard that Volvo does not provide a spare wheel, and that alone maybe a deterrent.

From the other 3, my recommendation will be the Passat. The Superb is indeed an excellent car, but I feel it has started to show the age. Passat is relatively new, comes with the 170ps variant of the 2.0L TDI. But it maybe a problem if you are a fan of beige. I believe the Passat highline have all-black interiors.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2012, 21:50   #120
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Teana versus Skoda Superb versus VW Passat versus Volvo S60

Adding to Vb-San

Superb DSG is the best bet for space and comfort. To me its a ship on wheels. Passat is good but the rear hump alone spoils the whole space related query.

The Superb TDI is so much fun to drive and has power on tap. The DSG gearbox is definitely a different feeling and gives you exactly the same feel of a manual gearbox in most of the scenarios.

Chauffeur driven - There is no question that superb beats the rest of the cars in the list.

A.S.S - Except the Mcatronics i have not actually heard much about a problematic superb.

Instead the skods shield for 4 years is what takes care of the car for 4 years. Post 4 years i am pretty sure the market will be filled with more cars and lesser price range.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks