Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2017, 08:55   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?

Congrats Abhi on the beauty. Luxury Line leather in that color looks amazing. Wish you many miles of happy ownership. I can promise you the GT grows on you even more as you own it. One look at the all new X1 and a drive of a similar age X3 only convinced me that the GT is uniquely special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Thanks!
Based on past experience, I opted for an Extended warranty but not BSI
Ah - the power of wisdom!! I was foolish enough to opt for 5 year 60k BSI instead of just extended warranty. I guess I just wanted to be fully insured against all ongoing costs except annual zero dep insurance. The good thing is I won't succumb to sudden car change urges for the 5 years now.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:04   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
Thanks for the update. May be a basic question, but what helps one decide, to go or not to go, for BSI type of coverage?

My thought is that if a car is being used sparingly and not much mileage per month put on, then BSI is not worth the investment as other major mechanical & engine parts are anyways covered under regular extended warrantee - is this correct?

To put it another way, leaving aside the cost part of BSI coverage (which we know is pretty expensive) what are the conditions under which one should strongly consider purchasing a BSI coverage for a luxury car.
If your running is really high or if you are fine with the idea of paying a significant premium for the convenience

BSI Covers oil changes and filters (+ pads if you opt for BSI premium)
If you are comfortable with the idea of sourcing filters/pads and changing them/getting them changed yourself then the maintenance cost drops significantly vs the upfront BSI cost..
As an example, my total 5 year maintenance cost for my old car (5 oil /cabin+air filter changes, 1 brake pad change and 1 fuel filter change ) was approx 90K over 5 years vs the 2.5L+ (if i remember correctly) for BSI premium

OTOH, extended warranty is like a super comprehensive insurance policy at a not too high premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Congrats Abhi on the beauty. Luxury Line leather in that color looks amazing. Wish you many miles of happy ownership. I can promise you the GT grows on you even more as you own it. One look at the all new X1 and a drive of a similar age X3 only convinced me that the GT is uniquely special.

Ah - the power of wisdom!! I was foolish enough to opt for 5 year 60k BSI instead of just extended warranty. I guess I just wanted to be fully insured against all ongoing costs except annual zero dep insurance. The good thing is I won't succumb to sudden car change urges for the 5 years now.
Tell me about it - I was rather convinced of getting the X1 again but am glad I chose this.. The first though on My first drive of this one was how much plusher it feels in comparison.. something I guess which is more important to the old me today vs the me 5 years ago

As for car change urges, the erstwhile X1 was so good I had no intent to change it till its 7+ and its only an unusual push that caused me to switch within 5 years.. am sure the GT will be no different for you

Last edited by abhi182 : 21st April 2017 at 10:09.
Old 23rd April 2017, 02:48   #78
BHPian

just a couple of updates
- First highway drive to lonavala today .. In laws in the back seat loved the extra space and the ride quality on the rear bench vs both the X1 and XUV

- the engine felt quieter than the x1 in the driving seat and the gear shifts smoother - more of an incremental improvement though

- the electronic steering, while far from bad felt nowhere close to the tactile feeling offered by the older hydraulic units

- Siri eyes free is not bad at all - It's fun to ask the car to play the chainsmokers or the top songs from 2012 via voice..certainly not a gimmick as i guess i will continue to use this regularly
Old 25th April 2017, 00:12   #79
BHPian

Quote:
just a couple of updates

- the electronic steering, while far from bad felt nowhere close to the tactile feeling offered by the older hydraulic units
Congrats! Nice color choice! GT's are unique in style and with the seats folded down offer lots of storage when needed.

How does the steering feel in sport and sport+ mode? Do you feel any difference?
Old 25th April 2017, 00:28   #80
BHPian

Quote:
While I wish I could have got the 330i (which on paper surprisingly costs the same as the 320d LL)
Lack of ready stock + lack of discounts made me choose the latter
Congratulations the 3GT is a great choice! That colour combination of the blue with the tan interior looks fantastic!

You mentioned you chose the 320d over the 330i because of discounts, would you mind divulging to what tune they discounted it over the 330i?
Old 25th April 2017, 12:26   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Congrats! Nice color choice! GT's are unique in style and with the seats folded down offer lots of storage when needed.

How does the steering feel in sport and sport+ mode? Do you feel any difference?
The steering does firm up quite noticeably in sport/sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Congratulations the 3GT is a great choice! That colour combination of the blue with the tan interior looks fantastic!

You mentioned you chose the 320d over the 330i because of discounts, would you mind divulging to what tune they discounted it over the 330i?
The 330i was practically without any discounts (although dealers in other locations who may have it ex-stock may be ready to discount it)
The gross discount on the 320D LL was a couple of lakhs - can take the details over PM if you want
Old 25th April 2017, 13:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
If your running is really high or if you are fine with the idea of paying a significant premium for the convenience

BSI Covers oil changes and filters (+ pads if you opt for BSI premium)
If you are comfortable with the idea of sourcing filters/pads and changing them/getting them changed yourself then the maintenance cost drops significantly vs the upfront BSI cost..
As an example, my total 5 year maintenance cost for my old car (5 oil /cabin+air filter changes, 1 brake pad change and 1 fuel filter change ) was approx 90K over 5 years vs the 2.5L+ (if i remember correctly) for BSI premium

OTOH, extended warranty is like a super comprehensive insurance policy at a not too high premium
Congratulations on the new Beemer, enjoy the car, don't be lethargic on piling up the miles, more the better, you will never get old if you keep driving a BMW.

When you say sourcing it and getting it changed yourself, do BMW accept outside parts brought by the customer or you mean to say getting the service done completely outside of BMW service. I was under the impression that the warranty or even the extended warranty is valid only if you get the service done at the A.S.S of BMW only and without a single service done outside (non-BMW authorized service provider, I am sure there are no authorized service station of BMW other than their dealers).
Old 25th April 2017, 14:27   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Congratulations on the new Beemer, enjoy the car, don't be lethargic on piling up the miles, more the better, you will never get old if you keep driving a BMW.

When you say sourcing it and getting it changed yourself, do BMW accept outside parts brought by the customer or you mean to say getting the service done completely outside of BMW service. I was under the impression that the warranty or even the extended warranty is valid only if you get the service done at the A.S.S of BMW only and without a single service done outside (non-BMW authorized service provider, I am sure there are no authorized service station of BMW other than their dealers).
Per the service advisor I had spoken to, his recommendation was to keep oil and fluid changes restricted to the ASS - so that in case there is a engine or powertrain damage, the same cannot be dishonored as consequential damage

However for the air filter/cabin filter/any other non critical component, they will have no issues honoring the warranty
Obviously this comes with a caveat e.g. if you developed a warped rotor after having used your own brakepads then that may potentially be refused to be fixed under warranty

I stuck to this regime from 2013 onwards and had no issues with claiming warranty for a few minor issues that had arisen during this period

Also, BMW won't change parts supplied by you - however changing filters is a easy DIY job while changing pads etc can be done by any competent workshop
You will however need to reset your OBC yourself
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 01:32   #84
BHPian

For those who may be interested in the self service aspect, the service indicator on the old X1 came on last week.
Ordered the following from Amazon/Opera house
Shell Helix Ultra - 6 Ltrs - 5600/-
Oil Filter - Mann - 1200/-
Air filter - Mann - 2000
Cabin Filter - Mann - 1500/-

Local Indy in Pune charging me 2500/- for labor - The above is for the ~50K service schedule
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks