Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 20:44   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW X1 Replacement - X3, Evoque or GLA?

My 2 cents

If you have to buy it today then please have a good look at the ML 250. It is a whole size bigger than all the others you have mentioned and to me looks pretty awesome! If not then the X3 it is for me. I am not too sure of the Volvo S60 given your highway runs and their extremely thin after sales.

As GTO said Q3 seems like a better bet than the GLA given on many factors such as space, Quattro, etc.All the best! Looking forward to your ownership review!
Old 25th February 2015, 22:46   #17
BHPian

I think that since you've already had two BMW's, you should go for something different.
I think that the GLA is not a very good option but the Q3 and ML are excellent. The GLA is just the A Class which has been modified to look like a SUV.
However, since you already have a 3er for the spirited drives, you should seriously consider the Evoque just for the way it looks
Old 26th February 2015, 01:02   #18
BHPian

Thanks everyone for such a prompt response!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
Wait for the X3 with the 6-cylinder 3 liter Diesel engine which will be out in May.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Why not wait for the X3 30d " M Sport Package "

^ the above will be launched with an M Kit i.e. aggressive front bumper, larger rims, air intakes etc (like we have seen on 530d)

Another option can be the Land Rover Discovery Sport ( will launch in 3-4 months )
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
With all the horror stories of JLR doing the rounds on web, I would suggest to stay away from the Evoque, howsoever sexy it may be.

Talking about the X3 I would echo Karan's words, the X3 30d would be a phenomenal package and a worthy upgrade indeed.

The GLA 200, though, pleasurable to drive loses out on space and IMO is a bit pricey for what it offers.

I would like to add one more car from the Mercedes stable : The ML 250!
It would be an absolute new experience for you and offers an excellent package of space, features, comfort and driving dynamics. Moreover the road presence of this car is best out of the lot and boy, it does turn heads! It would fit your budget quite well too

Happy Shopping!

Regards,
Shreyak
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
They have recently changed the 20d engine from N47(same as in your X1) to B47 in the X3, its quieter, more efficient and more powerful than the outgoing engine.

Good Engine- Check
Great Transmission(ZF8)- Check
Perfect Ride/Handling Balance- Check

I would opt for the X3 over the overpriced Evoque, if i had to stretch my budget i would opt for the ML class.

GLA is not an upgrade from a X1, you would gain some, lose some.
The X3 30d would be the perfect car and I even checked with the Mumbai dealer today after seeing eclipse78's, shriek_ss and Karan's response but they said that it's expected around the end of May which would be a little too late as I might be selling off the X1 in a week or so from now. They recommend me the Evoque and said that it is all set to be relaunched as a CKD with a merrier price tag along with the couple of options ticked as standard from the factory. And rightly said Anshuman the GLA won't really be an upgrade but the only reason for considering the GLA was it's petrol motor and the fact that it's not a BMW...and also coz of the fact that our new govt has reduced the petrol prices which has awaken the petrolhead inside me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you're considering the GLA, why not the Q3? It's better than the GLA in every way. More of an SUV, has AWD, a great engine, smooth dual-clutch gearbox and quality interiors.

I second the suggestions of the X3 3.0 or the ML250.

Don't know if you are open to pre-owned, but there are a lot of like-new Audi Q7 3.0 TDIs that will fit in your budget. This is a full size SUV with an awesome engine under the hood.
Thanks GTO, well not considering the Q3 because it felt a little underpowered and cramped from inside. Also, not really an Audi fan until it's an RS or S
And sadly, no pre-owned allowed by the family or else I'd have surely ended up buying something better than these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nobody likes the Volvo XC60?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I was about to say the same

Adi, why not have a look at the XC60?? Looks gorgeous, has a decent engine and interiors are good too. Plus its a CBU unlike the others in the segment so the fit and finish would be just that tad bit better. And since not many opt for it, it is pretty exclusive too
Volvo's are known to be the best when it comes to safety. So no worries about those highway drives also. Also the insurance cost for Volvo's being on the lower side would be an added benefit.
will TRY and check out the XC60 if they are free to offer a test drive *yawns*. Had to put in a lot of efforts to get a test drive when I was considering the S60 and ended up buying the 3er. Nevertheless, it surely deserves a look before finalising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
If you're considering the X3... why not the Q5 with the AWD Quattro?
Lalit answered your question below... Q5 looks too dated bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
IMO the Q's need a styling refresh asap, and the X's are also getting pretty old in the looks department, and as you pointed out rightly, the engine wont be much of an upgrade even though it has changed.

Today, its the three pointed star that's making the most droolworthy designs, and the ML looks good. even in 250 guise, there would be a slightly higher bump in power than moving to X3, and for sure, without the RFTs, you would love the ride as well.
ML, I drove one recently and found it's handling to be pretty much boat like. No doubt the interiors, the space is class apart, but...also I'd manage to get a 'better' deal if I buy a car from Navnit Motors which deals with RR and BMW and that was the other reason for not considering Merc and Audi apart from the reasons mentioned above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
I think the X3 makes the most sense from your list. Also as Vid mentioned why not the XC60. The Evoque is a stunner as so are the reliability issues I have been reading about off late.
The GLA will not be an upgrade. You would get a slightly plusher ride with lesser driving fun. Chose between the X3(new engine) and XC60, the latter would be my choice though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakhar1998 View Post
I would recommend you to either chose the Evoque or go for the Volvo XC60. The XC60 is an amazing vehicle, and the feel good factor surpasses that of the Germans.

Why I would recommend against the X3 is because you will not feel like you've made too big an upgrade, with the same engine, transmission and a similar interior as your X1.

Evoque on the other hand looks drop dead gorgeous, and is a very versatile vehicle. It's fast, safe and dynamically capable. But, the JLR ASS woes will make me hesitate a little.

So, I would say, go either for the Volvo or the Land Rover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
X3 or Q3 IMO.

Slightly OT, can't resist: You guys know about the Land Rover jokes right?

Some gems from a post at a South African 4x4 forum I frequent (there is a long standing war among Land Rover and Toyota owners):
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=95478

All Land Rovers are like women - They moan on long journeys, embarrass you in front of friends and you spend more money than you ever expected once you've committed yourself to one.

Landy's have the best fuel consumption of all 4x4's.
That's because they are always being towed by something else.

When you drive on a toll road, you get these yellow emergency phones next to the road. Stop and look closer. On the phones there are emergency numbers l: police, ambulance, doctor and Landrover Service .

Q: What do you find on pages 4 and 5 of the Landy’s user's manual?
A: The train & bus schedule.

Q: What do you call a Landy with brakes?
A: Customized.

Q. Why do the latest models have rear window demisters.
A. To keep the hands warm when pushing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
My 2 cents

If you have to buy it today then please have a good look at the ML 250. It is a whole size bigger than all the others you have mentioned and to me looks pretty awesome! If not then the X3 it is for me. I am not too sure of the Volvo S60 given your highway runs and their extremely thin after sales.

As GTO said Q3 seems like a better bet than the GLA given on many factors such as space, Quattro, etc.All the best! Looking forward to your ownership review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naman_Ferrari View Post
I think that since you've already had two BMW's, you should go for something different.
I think that the GLA is not a very good option but the Q3 and ML are excellent. The GLA is just the A Class which has been modified to look like a SUV.
However, since you already have a 3er for the spirited drives, you should seriously consider the Evoque just for the way it looks
It's getting more and more and more confusing for me to decide lol

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th February 2015 at 09:34. Reason: Please do not type your replies in bold.
Old 26th February 2015, 08:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure what is making everyone recommend the Evoque so strongly here. Yes it looks drop dead gorgeous from every angle you see it. But the good part ends there. Till the time I hadn't sat in one, I was also a huge fan of the Evoque and used to drool at every piece I saw on the road. But take one TD and you somehow come out confused. There is literally no space inside. After paying 65L if I still have to compromise on the basic attributes like space, then I think that it is a complete waste of money.

Have you driven the Evoque yet?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 09:24   #20
BHPian

Among the three in the title, my pick would be X3. Driven Evoque and X3 on the ghats and the latter impressed much more than Evoque. Evoque is more about the looks and like drmohitg said, it is not a very spacious car for the price. You don't get that much more of anything other than the looks for that much of price difference between X3 and Evoque. GLA, to be honest, doesn't feel mature enough to be compared to these.

If you can wait and if 30d is gonna launch soon, that'd be the best bet. If not, 20d would still be good. ML250 is good but if the handling did not impress you, that is ruled out anyways.

Q5 3.0 TDI and XC60 are worth considering, latter being a more comfortable one with loads of safety tech., while 3.0 TDI would be the clean leader when it comes to performance and handling but would lack on the safety tech. as compared to the Volvo.

I would be comparing X3 and XC60 for a final pick if I was gonna book one soon among the cars being considered here.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 26th February 2015 at 09:26.
Old 26th February 2015, 11:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

How can we compare the X3, XC60 etc with GLA and Q3? These are honestly very small and cramped compared to the proper sized SUVs like the X3 and XC60. Its a crime to compare them. Also after using the X1, why do you want to move to another cramped car?
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 12:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

How many of us here would like to own a Volvo in India? Not sure about other places, but here in NCR, the after sales support and supply of spares is non existent, Re-sale value is poor(only if you manage to find a buyer).

A new dealership opened up here in Gurgaon some time back, run by the same guys who own the infamous chain of Skoda Dealerships. Don't be surprised if your car comes back with some Skoda spares I have seen a few Volvos being repaired at Skoda workshop along with some Isuzu pick up trucks.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 15:07   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nobody likes the Volvo XC60?
Nope.

1. The rear seat isn't spacious. ML is better.
2. It's the oldest from this group. Been in production for 7 years now!
3. The engine is the least refined from this group.
4. It has the smallest after-sales network.
5. I can bet you it'll have the poorest resale (if & when you find a buyer).
6. It's B-O-R-I-N-G. If I'm spending 60 big ones, I want something special.
7. It's a CBU, thus higher taxes (even if I'm registering as an individual)
8. Due to limited sales, parts will be inexistent in the after-market. And after the warranty period, you won't find any independent who is familiar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I know what you are saying specifically after our fellow BHPian "madmonkey's" case.
Not only Mad Monkey's horrible Discovery. My comments are based on feedback from other Range Rover owners. I've yet to meet one who has had a trouble-free ownership experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I am not sure what is making everyone recommend the Evoque so strongly here. Yes it looks drop dead gorgeous from every angle you see it. But the good part ends there.

77 lakhs on the road in Mumbai for a mediocre 4-cylinder diesel engine and the cabin space of a Hyundai i20

Last edited by GTO : 26th February 2015 at 15:09.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 16:18   #24
BHPian

I have not driven too many cars from this segment and price range, but I drove the ML 350 CDI once, for roughly 20-25 kms, and I was completely floored by it, maybe because I am not used to driving cars from that segment, but the car definitely felt very nice and supremely comfortable. the interiors like most Mercs are well appointed and feel very plush.

The ML being an SUV, I think the 250 CDI wouldn't be all that bad too. The ML 250 costs 76 lakh Rs. OTR Pune, and ML 350 is close to 85 lakh Rs. OTR Pune, and guess what, I was told there is a waiting for both variants, at times upto 3 months for the 250CDI.

The Volvo primarily loses out on badge value, and that is a major downer for me, if I am paying 60-70 big ones for a car it better be a big brand car! Also the XC60 in particular looked good back in the day when it was launched, now it doesn't look special, in fact the high-rear-low-front profile never attracted me at all. But looks are subjective!
And as GTO pointed out, you would probably have to search very hard for a customer when you want to sell it after 5 years.

Also, if the Evoque comes with the same diesel engine as the Freelander 2, please don't even look at it, that engine sounds horrible and at least on the Freelander 2 it responds very lethargically. Also I sat in a stationary Evoque once, though the interior design is very well executed and so is the fit and finish, space is probably less than a Honda City and you pay a good 75+ lakh for it.

Also, if I were you, I would look very hard for any left over Touregs, after all who wouldn't want a Porsche Cayenne in sober cloths!

Just an opinion from someone who hopes to buy a 50 lakh rupee car with in the next 5 years.
599gto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 22:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
When I test drove the facelift S60, the motor felt punchy and refined enough. I was guessing the facelift XC60 would also have that kinda refinement. Is that not the case? On the other hand, Evoque did not feel so refined. Not sure if that was due to the condition of their test drive car.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 26th February 2015 at 22:50.
Old 26th February 2015, 22:57   #26
Team-BHP Support

Ouch!!!

Right when I was beginning to fall in love with the Volvo.

Quote:
1. The rear seat isn't spacious. ML is better.
The ML is any day more spacious but last I remember the ML250CDI with a lot of stuff missing is almos 7-8 lakhs more than the XC60 top spec Summum D5 AWD.

If you're an urban junkie the new Volvo XC60 D4 with the 180BHP engine and new 8 speed transmission is available for more than 11 lakhs cheaper than the ML.

Quote:
2. It's the oldest from this group. Been in production for 7 years now!
Again true but man the latest update still looks classy. Somehow I love the looks over the Q5 and ML. The ML and Q5 already look dated vs the swoopy XC60.

Quote:
The new 4 cylinder 2.0L Drive-E engine is supposed to be quite refined. Are you referring to the 5 cylinder or the new 4 pot? The 8 speed transmission and the new engine focussed on refinement. Yet to drive the new engine introduced in 2014.

This engine replaced the old 2.0L engine. The AWD version still has the 5 cylinder engine with old 6 speed box.

Quote:
4. It has the smallest after-sales network.
Yeah that's the sad part. Hope it goes up.

Quote:
5. I can bet you it'll have the poorest resale (if & when you find a buyer).
It already does! You can get the older XC60 for a steal.

Quote:
6. It's B-O-R-I-N-G. If I'm spending 60 big ones, I want something special.
I love it cause it's different and stands out from the relatively common ML and Q5. Exclusive to say. But it wasn't really that boring to drive. The ML felt a little old school to drive in comparison.

Quote:
7. It's a CBU, thus higher taxes (even if I'm registering as an individual)
Yup but on road it's cheaper than the ML and even cheaper than the Q5 for the 2WD. The AWD top spec Summum D5 slots in between the Q5 variants.

Quote:
8. Due to limited sales, parts will be inexistent in the after-market. And after the warranty period, you won't find any independent who is familiar with it.
Again true but going by reviews of buyers it's bloody reliable vs the BMW/Audi/MErcs. Have a look at service costs initially. 11 grand for a service of a 60L vehicle.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3645823
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 00:15   #27
BHPian

Sorry for being off the action. I'm waiting for the CKD Evoque to be launched later this month before finalising. It'd be mostly X3 vs Evoque (the GLA is out of consideration...mostly...though I'll give it a look). I really really want a Petrol this time but can't think of anything that fits my budget except the GLA which is not worth it after considering all the suggestions I received on this thread. Let's see!
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 12:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Adi, my pick would be the Q5 or X3 in this situation. Since you already have a 3 series, I would pick the Q5 so that you can experience both the brands (but I don't know what other cars you already have). I know you mentioned it looks "dated" which is subjective, but the Q5 is a great car, its the one I would pick in this segment.
Old 7th April 2015, 14:04   #29
BHPian

So I drove the X3, ML250 and the Evoque comprehensively and found that the Evoque being a Land Rover is 'more SUV' than all of these, looks the best, is peppier and hence it's the one I settled for. Wasn't a tough choice coz at the end of the day it came down to X3 vs Evoque and I went ahead with the latter (I had all the reasons not to opt for the ML...to begin with - dated looks, small sunroof, mediocre engine, boring interiors, no satnav, no...umm these reasons are enough IMO)

Delivery within a couple of weeks if all goes well
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 15:32   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Delivery within a couple of weeks
Congrats on your new drive , if you can share On road prices .

Have they started offering Maintenance / Extended warranties . Do they have any news on the launch of new Discovery Sport ?

Hope you have gone through this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ervice-12.html

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th April 2015 at 15:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks