Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 15:34   #61
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Gentlemen, I have been driving a pre worshipped Chevy Cruze LTZ AT(2013), which I acquired in 2015 with 36k kms on the clock, now after 4 years, it has completed around 82k (46k kms of sheer fun).
Soon after the purchase, I got its extended warranty done and got AC evaporator coil and auto transmission changed under ext warranty in 2017.
An injector was also changed later along with 2 time replacement of inter cooler pipe (due to hard acceleration Iam told), during this period of 4 years.

However, as on this day, it has zero niggles or trouble. The acceleration is simply mind blowing. I'am using it mostly on weekends for around 100 kms, other than that my daily running is quite low (10-15 kms).

Now, I have been smitten by my friend's BMW 520d (same year 2013), however has 50k kms on clock. The guy is very particular about the servicing and maintenance and gets it done at the BMW authorised service centre. What attracts me in his ride is the sheer road presence, brand, extremely comfy seats, great ICE, safety etc.

The concern that I have is that when I have test driven it in comfort mode, it is very sedate and lacks any urgency to lunge forward at the throttle response. Here, my Cruze outshines it totally.
However, when I engage it in sports mode, it becomes a different beast altogether.

Now my questions in context to this particular 520d are:

1. Most importantly, Is it normal for a 520d to have sedate manners in comfort mode? Isn't supposed to have ouright explosive performance (or am I spoilt by Cruze) if not, what does it indicate about this car's engine (dude uses BMW prescribed diesel additive).

2. How is the long term reliability of 6-7 year old BMW520D at 50k kms, is it still mid-age or is it past its glory? I plan to keep it for 2-3 years/ 30-40k kms or more (how long can one go on with such a piece and what are the predicaments and known hazards possible)?

3. Cost of servicing etc (annual 10-15k kms driving)

4. Whats a good price range for the age and condition as above (Delhi registered). The price at which he will give it to me will be lesser than 15 lakhs, if i choose not to retain VIP number it has.

Iam contemplating the upgrade as I have just turned 40 and while I can choose to live with Cruze longer, however I feel if a good piece comes along from the known circle in a sensible price range, one should take the shot.
For me, sheer acceleration and driver seating and comfort are top priority, for reference, i don't find either in my spouse's Creta diesel automatic (just 2 year old ).
Cruze gives me both and life has been more exciting ever since I switched from XUV to Cruze.
I also really wonder what will be my next upgrade if not this 520D.

Asides, attaching photos of my beloved Cruze.


Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-my-cruze-2.jpeg  

Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-my-cruze.jpeg  


Last edited by Pankaj_Ahlawat : 9th May 2019 at 15:41. Reason: diction
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 08:58   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,779
Thanked: 5,256 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
The concern that I have is that when I have test driven it in comfort mode, it is very sedate and lacks any urgency to lunge forward at the throttle response. Here, my Cruze outshines it totally.
However, when I engage it in sports mode, it becomes a different beast altogether.

Now my questions in context to this particular 520d are:

1. Most importantly, Is it normal for a 520d to have sedate manners in comfort mode? Isn't supposed to have ouright explosive performance (or am I spoilt by Cruze) if not, what does it indicate about this car's engine (dude uses BMW prescribed diesel additive).
This is totally normal. In the BMW, mode selection changes the engine map as well as gearbox shift logic. In comfort mode, both the engine map and gearbox shift logic will switch to sedate mode of driving. In sports mode, both the engine map and gearbox shift will switch to an aggressive mode. If you can feel the power in sports mode, then there is nothing wrong with the engine.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2019, 16:14   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New delhi
Posts: 37
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Let me share my experience while I was considering one of the German trios. Last year, I was planning on buying a C250 CDI W204, which had done about 90k on the odo. I was hesitant but still took the car to the company for an inspection.
The repair and service estimate shared by them was ~11L, which was near to the price of the car itself.
A lot of parts had conked off, including the AC, suspension, brakes, tyres, rims, belts, etc.
Now, I'm not saying that all the pre-worshipped models would have the same high maintenance, but you can get a fair idea how expensive it can be to replace the parts. The AC parts replacement was about ~2.5L itself.
So be careful when you put your money down, as you don't want the luxury car experience to be a horrendous one.
Akshitsi is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 00:11   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Panchkula
Posts: 26
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Gentlemen, I have been driving a pre worshipped Chevy Cruze LTZ AT(2013), which I acquired in 2015 with 36k kms on the clock, now after 4 years, it has completed around 82k (46k kms of sheer fun).
Soon after the purchase, I got its extended warranty done and got AC evaporator coil and auto transmission changed under ext warranty in 2017.
An injector was also changed later along with 2 time replacement of inter cooler pipe (due to hard acceleration Iam told), during this period of 4 years.

However, as on this day, it has zero niggles or trouble. The acceleration is simply mind blowing. I'am using it mostly on weekends for around 100 kms, other than that my daily running ......
Let me know when you want to sell your Cruze... I am interested
amritpal2489 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 12:09   #65
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshitsi View Post
Let me share my experience while I was considering one of the German trios. Last year, I was planning on buying a C250 CDI W204, which had done about 90k on the odo. I was hesitant but still took the car to the company for an inspection.
The repair and service estimate shared by them was ~11L, which was near to the price of the car itself.
A lot of parts had conked off, including the AC, suspension, brakes, tyres, rims, belts, etc.
Now, I'm not saying that all the pre-worshipped models would have the same high maintenance, but you can get a fair idea how expensive it can be to replace the parts. The AC parts replacement was about ~2.5L itself.
So be careful when you put your money down, as you don't want the luxury car experience to be a horrendous one.
Hi, thanks can you also share which year was this model C250
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 13:29   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New delhi
Posts: 37
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Hi, thanks can you also share which year was this model C250
IIRC, It was a late 2011 model (facelift one).
Akshitsi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2019, 17:28   #67
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Now my questions in context to this particular 520d are:

1. Most importantly, Is it normal for a 520d to have sedate manners in comfort mode? Isn't supposed to have ouright explosive performance (or am I spoilt by Cruze) if not, what does it indicate about this car's engine (dude uses BMW prescribed diesel additive).

2. How is the long term reliability of 6-7 year old BMW520D at 50k kms, is it still mid-age or is it past its glory? I plan to keep it for 2-3 years/ 30-40k kms or more (how long can one go on with such a piece and what are the predicaments and known hazards possible)?

3. Cost of servicing etc (annual 10-15k kms driving)

4. Whats a good price range for the age and condition as above (Delhi registered). The price at which he will give it to me will be lesser than 15 lakhs, if i choose not to retain VIP number it has.
Wow!, your Cruze looks very good and all the customisations suit the car really well. Kudos to you for maintaining it properly.
Coming to your question, as you mentioned the previous owner has taken care of the car and only gotten it serviced from the ASS which is good.
Yes it is normal for the BMW to behave sedately in comfort mode.
Reliability and Pre-Owned German cards are like antonyms, don't get me wrong some models are reliable but owing to the large number of electrical components on these cars, there is a very high chance of something malfunctioning. So I suggest you keep aside at least 5-7L from your budget and only then think about buying the BMW.
And also remember that if something goes wrong with the car, you will have to wait for long to get the parts since they have to be imported.
Also there have been many instances of the ASS trying to scam the luxury car owners and would recommend you to stay away from them as much you can.
Depending upon which part needs to be replaced the service costs vary drastically. A basic service will cost you approximately 30-35K. But this is an old car.
Meaning more wear and tear parts will need to be replaced so it is going to be expensive. Very Expensive.
I have seen ads of 8 year old 520d in Delhi for about 11 lakhs.
Also remember that due to the NGT rule in Delhi you would not be able to drive a 10 year old car.
I would suggest going in for a petrol car since your running is low.
AdityaH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2019, 00:37   #68
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaH View Post
Wow!, your Cruze looks very good and all the customisations suit the car really well. Kudos to you for maintaining it properly.
Coming to your question, as you mentioned the previous owner has taken care of the car and only gotten it serviced from the ASS which is good.
Yes it is normal for the BMW to behave sedately in comfort mode.
Reliability and Pre-Owned German cards are like antonyms, don't get me wrong some models are reliable but owing to the large number of electrical components on these cars, there is a very high chance of something malfunctioning. So I suggest you keep aside at least 5-7L from your budget and only then think about buying the BMW.
And also remember that if something goes wrong with the car, you will have to wait for long to get the parts since they have to be imported.
Also there have been many instances of the ASS trying to scam the luxury car owners and would recommend you to stay away from them as much you can.
Depending upon which part needs to be replaced the service costs vary drastically. A basic service will cost you approximately 30-35K. But this is an old car.
Meaning more wear and tear parts will need to be replaced so it is going to be expensive. Very Expensive.
I have seen ads of 8 year old 520d in Delhi for about 11 lakhs.
Also remember that due to the NGT rule in Delhi you would not be able to drive a 10 year old car.
I would suggest going in for a petrol car since your running is low.
Thank you AdityaH, I have really loved this machine utmost since inception. Every time I am walking towards it, it brings a smile on my face. I used to take it to my farm and my late bade papa would just look at it and say “ Is car ko dekh ke Josh chadhta hai”, and I could sense how it evoked the youth in him, each time I went to see him ( he was 84)..
So many pleasurable moments and memories I have with it.
Even at night, what a beauty it is; twin pair of HIds in headlight, another in fog lamps, angel eyes, DRLs and duo of led bars (below the license plate), all lit up the road into broad daylight, contrasting against its molten black dipped silhouette of a poised black panther. Then press on the gas and it blazes through the road, slicing left and right through the traffic of oddly marooned cars carrying on with their seemingly mundane and futile pace. I can go on and with the tryst I have come to cherish with this beauty..

Coming to your profound advice on the old Germans, it is certainly a matter of heart over mind now, since all empirical evidence so far suggests against it. Hope my good senses prevail in case the dude makes me an offer. However, it’s the cliche’d temptation of that new girl who seems more enticing and sophisticated than your existing one and the cocktail of hormones sways the better of your logic, even when there is no rational need of taking that plunge !

Last edited by Pankaj_Ahlawat : 12th May 2019 at 00:48. Reason: Diction
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 06:40   #69
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 122 Times
Default

Well Gentlemen, after all looks like it was made in heaven and hence got solemnised. A big thanks to all the fellow bhpians here, especially Drmohitg, whose experience and many conversations convinced me to take the leap of faith and finally I acquired my dream machine : a white F10, having clocked 59k kms on the clock, Aug 2012 520d with zero dep active and almost new tyres, this sparsely driven beauty is a collectors piece indeed.
Also found GTO's comments reassuring on how this generation F10 is more appealing than its successor in another thread.
Hence my beloved Cruze goes to classifieds (though my son says they look like Oreo cookie when parked together, being black and white respectively, however I can't keep both beauties and hence decided to find a new home for Cruze)
Here are a few pics of the splendid white beauty:
Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558141763.818013.jpgPre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558141785.075070.jpgPre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558141798.064371.jpgPre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558141813.464997.jpgPre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558141826.684299.jpgPre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1558141838.945458.jpg
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   (16) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 08:20   #70
BHPian
 
boniver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 208
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Well Gentlemen, after all looks like it was made in heaven and hence got solemnised...
....: a white F10, having clocked 59k kms on the clock, Aug 2012 520d with zero dep active and almost new tyres, this sparsely driven beauty is a collectors piece indeed.
Congratulations, Pankaj_Ahlawat! You have a heart of steel to get her home, but I must say she looks beautiful in the pictures!

Rest assured you'll have a memorable ownership experience. However, you shouldn't be the only one enjoying. Do treat the rest of us BHPians to an initial ownership review too!
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 10:03   #71
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
Congratulations, Pankaj_Ahlawat! You have a heart of steel to get her home, but I must say she looks beautiful in the pictures!

Rest assured you'll have a memorable ownership experience. However, you shouldn't be the only one enjoying. Do treat the rest of us BHPians to an initial ownership review too!
Thanks boniver, certainly look forward to share the saga.
The more I drive it, more I am coming to appreciate the fine piece of machinery this is.
Driver seat comfort beats my recliners at home, now I understand how effortlessly you find bimmers floating at low speeds, the low speed ride is another nirvana, other than of course the explosive performance delivered moment you engage sports mode. ICE is superb with amazing clarity and deep bass.
However the service is due, any suggestions for good place to get it serviced in Delhi. I am inclined towards getting it serviced in authorised bmw workshop, however have seen many other places on net, who claim to be equally good at a lesser cost. Any recommendations?
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 11:59   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 78
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Many Congratulations on the new car, all the very best ...!

Pls share the buying price and other details if OK,

For servicing, you may try Deutche Motoreon, Noida, as they are pretty good and transparent in their workings. Would refrain from fleecing the customers unnecessarily.

Good Luck..
RickyC is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 12:37   #73
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 123
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
Thanks boniver, certainly look forward to share the saga.
The more I drive it, more I am coming to appreciate the fine piece of machinery this is.
Driver seat comfort beats my recliners at home, now I understand how effortlessly you find bimmers floating at low speeds, the low speed ride is another nirvana, other than of course the explosive performance delivered moment you engage sports mode. ICE is superb with amazing clarity and deep bass.
However the service is due, any suggestions for good place to get it serviced in Delhi. I am inclined towards getting it serviced in authorised bmw workshop, however have seen many other places on net, who claim to be equally good at a lesser cost. Any recommendations?
Many Congratulations, Pankaj. I have been in the same boat for the last 3 to 4 years, having bought a pre-loved 2007 Civic SAT done 20 thousand kilometers in 2012. Have been thinking about getting a pre-loved Beemer, Merc or Superb. However, having spent Rs 80k+ in the last few months towards new tyres, steering rack, mounts and denting and painting, I am loathe to give the Civic away. Also, the fear of insane maintenance cost of the German luxury cars is a concern. Let's see when I am able to take this leap of faith.

By the way, how much did you have to pay for this beauty?
civic-dk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 07:15   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,931
Thanked: 5,207 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pankaj_Ahlawat View Post
A big thanks to all the fellow bhpians here, especially Drmohitg, whose experience and many conversations convinced me to take the leap of faith and finally I acquired my dream machine : a white F10, having clocked 59k kms on the clock, Aug 2012 520d with zero dep active and almost new tyres, this sparsely driven beauty is a collectors piece indeed.
Many congratulations Pankaj. It is indeed a mouth watering deal. Welcome to the world of JOY!

The Cruze is a phenomenal car and true to its tagline of being a diesel rocket. The sudden acceleration surge that it gives you is unmatched this side of 50L. But once you become used to the BMW, you would start appreciating the importance of handling. It just hugs the road regardless of what speeds you are doing and you would never find yourself having any second thoughts before taking a corner. The second thing I love about this car is the gearbox. Regardless of what speed you are doing, the RPM needle is always settled in its relaxed zone ( in eco and comfort mode) and the power bracket ( in sports mode). As a result there is always more power to tap and the engine is ever ready to be challenged.

Many congratulations once again.

Edit: Regarding your service query, there was news recently about BMW having significantly slashed the prices of servicing, especially for cars older than 5 years. So you may want to once get an estimate from them and if it is not much of a difference then get it done from them. A regular engine oil service would not cost you more than 25-30k.

Last edited by drmohitg : 21st May 2019 at 07:17.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2019, 23:07   #75
BHPian
 
Pankaj_Ahlawat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 153
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Pre-worshipped luxury car for 10 - 15 lakhs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Many congratulations Pankaj. It is indeed a mouth watering deal. Welcome to the world of JOY!

The Cruze is a phenomenal car and true to its tagline of being a diesel rocket. The sudden acceleration surge that it gives you is unmatched this side of 50L. But once you become used to the BMW, you would start appreciating the importance of handling. It just hugs the road regardless of what speeds you are doing and you would never find yourself having any second thoughts before taking a corner. The second thing I love about this car is the gearbox. Regardless of what speed you are doing, the RPM needle is always settled in its relaxed zone ( in eco and comfort mode) and the power bracket ( in sports mode). As a result there is always more power to tap and the engine is ever ready to be challenged.

Many congratulations once again.

Edit: Regarding your service query, there was news recently about BMW having significantly slashed the prices of servicing, especially for cars older than 5 years. So you may want to once get an estimate from them and if it is not much of a difference then get it done from them. A regular engine oil service would not cost you more than 25-30k.
Thank you Doc.
I am loving it already. Got the service done for 31.7k inclusive of minor AC blower grill (costing 3k), through Deutche Motoren. Earlier the AC blower used to make loud noise at max speed, now its smooth.
Also got changed the leather arm pad and small cubby hole on the driver side door and rear AC duct casing painted (had signs of worn out) from a good place near the workshop itself who specialises in this kind of work ( another 9.5k) . So now the car is stunning both cosmetically and performance wise too. There is a noticeable change in acceleration and overall refinement.
Any recommendations for internal and external detailing in Delhi other than 3m and even with 3m what’s the latest in thing !?

Also was checking out tyres and would like to later switch from RFTs to Michelin primacy 3ST 225/55/17.
There was an absolutely gorgeous set of 18” BMW sports alloys shod with RFT tyres (set of 4) at bmw workshop ( original price 4.5 lakhs, discounted price 2L), however managed to not get tempted and walked away. Will however see when the time comes to change.

Yesterday, I took extended test drives of Fortuner and Skoda Kodiak ( +20 kms ) along with a friend and also saw Skoda Superb L & K. All the 3 were in the 40-45 lakh range and none of them could impress me after driving 520d. I did not even enter Skoda Superb ( yes, found the space tight) and found Kodiak’s seats a bit stiff and ride soft ( though it’s a beautifully equipped vehicle). Then I was looking at Octavia and lastly rapid sitting on same floor as the former and I was thinking... well no points for guessing 😁, the value for money my new ride is offering is simply fantastic. Also happened to see another 520d available at 55 lakhs with just 700 kms on clock which had the same engine, albeit cosmetically minor difference.
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-owned luxury car for 30 lakhs? YashD Luxury, Imports & Niche 16 14th July 2019 21:06
My "pre-worshipped" Skoda Laura 1.9 PD Ambiente for 7.6 lakhs raichoudhury Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 33 11th January 2014 17:47
Bought a Pre-worshipped, Pre-team bhped Cedia-My journey from one Sport to another carfreak Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 18th January 2012 18:37
ET: Luxury cars at throwaway prices! article on pre-owned luxury car business aditya101 Super-Cars & Imports in India 51 17th June 2009 17:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks