Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2019, 21:42   #31
BHPian

Re: Looking at buying a BMW X1 - Need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
I just bought an M Sport few days ago. Have been enjoying the ride so far. Yes the ride does feel a bit stiff but I do not have much to complain given that I upgraded from an XUV. In case anyone is interested, PM me as there are some great offers on the X1. I can get you in touch with some of the sales folks here in Bangalore who are hungry to sell.
I am based on Gurgaon. I would love to get an idea about offers which are on for X1 in Bangalore. Thanks in advance
Old 21st December 2019, 08:14   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I am in a bit of a predicament again and even though it isn’t an apple to oranges comparison here but then please bear with me. I am planning to buy a new car that would be self driven and would see city driving 99% of the time. I am confused which car would be a better buy between the Seltos GTX+ (diesel AT) and the BMW X1 (no other cars are in the consideration).

The Seltos costs approx. 21L OTR (Delhi) considering the imminent price hike news. The X1 ideally costs approx. 46L OTR (Delhi) but is being offered at mouth watering discounts currently bringing the OTR closer to 35L. So that is a difference of 14L.

Advantage Seltos:
1. Compact size which is perfect for City driving.
2. Decent overall build quality.
3. Loaded with features and has almost everything on board.

Advantage X1:
1. Badge value.
2. More fun to drive than the Seltos even if it isn’t RWD.

I would be selling off the 3 series and buy this car. The BMW appeals to the heart specially with the massive discounts going on but the Seltos is also such a complete package and offers you features that were never in the reach of cars costing below 30L like the 360 degree camera, Bose sound system, HUD etc. So much so that it is becoming difficult to justify spending 14-15L extra on the X1 where you gain on the badge value but lose on features. On the other hand, when you are behind the wheels of a BMW, you sort of forget about rest of the world as it is that good to drive. The X1 might not be as spirited as the 320d but would easily run circles around the Seltos, be it brute acceleration, driving dynamics, cornering ability, steering feedback or gearshifts.

Any advice?
Old 21st December 2019, 08:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
.... I am confused which car would be a better buy between the Seltos GTX+ (diesel AT) and the BMW X1 (no other cars are in the consideration)....
For me if it was a addition to garage then I would have gone with the Seltos but as it is a replacement for a BMW, for BMW owner only a BMW can replace it.
But as you said yourself it would be 99% driven in city so my question is will you be able to enjoy the drive in city? and is it worth spending 14 Lacs more for 99% city drive?
For 99% city use I would go for the KIA.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd December 2019 at 00:40. Reason: Trimmed quote.
revvharder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 08:59   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
which car would be a better buy between the Seltos GTX+ (diesel AT) and the BMW X1.

I would be selling off the 3 series and buy this car. The BMW appeals to the heart specially with the massive discounts going on but?
X1 is not a significant upgrade over your 3 (apart from electronic gimmicks), and after the initial euphoria has settled, you will miss 3. If you are in doubt, ask the dealership to give you X1 for the weekend or try to hire one. I can understand that your 3 is getting old, and if you are running it daily, it might add to expenses as well.

I will suggest you keep 3 and buy a Seltos. Buy 2020 as it will help when it’s time to sell even if it comes at a little higher price. The extra money that you will spend now on X1 can be saved for a while and say in a year or two, you can sell 3 and with the saved funds buy new 3 or even 5. I expect 5 LCI around mid of next year, during which time we can expect some better deals.

Just because X1 is available at discounts is no reason for a compromise, in my opinion.

Last edited by Turbanator : 21st December 2019 at 09:08.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 10:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
But as you said yourself it would be 99% driven in city so my question is will you be able to enjoy the drive in city? and is it worth spending 14 Lacs more for 99% city drive?
For 99% city use I would go for the KIA.
That is precisely the conundrum I am in. With a majority of city driving, shall I give more weightage to features that can be more useful vs the driving ability of the car. But then even in city drives those short bursts of 20-60 kmph do matter. And then there is also the charm of the badge value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
X1 is not a significant upgrade over your 3 (apart from electronic gimmicks), and after the initial euphoria has settled, you will miss 3.

I will suggest you keep 3 and buy a Seltos.
My apologies for not providing the background information. So the 3 was used exclusively by me. Dad can't drive it due to the excessive low seating causing back and knee issues. I am planning to move out of the country next year and hence the 3 would be sold off in all likelihood as it would not be used at all.

This car is for dad. He is currently driving the Ecosport since we had to sell of the Altis due to NGT. The Ecosport is relatively new and would stay. Hence the decision to buy a compact SUV which can be used alongside the Ecosport.
Old 21st December 2019, 11:35   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So the 3 was used exclusively by me. Dad can't drive it due to the excessive low seating causing back and knee issues.
This car is for dad
Well, in that case, Kia makes even more sense. But If I were you, will go ahead with what my Dad likes. If he is happy with an X1, get him that. On the other hand, if he finds Kia equally good and is not bothered much with the BMW badge, get him the Kia and a Fixed income plan with the extra money you saved. Sometimes, elders feel more secure and happy if they have extra funds in the bank rather than any materialistic things but if your Dad is also a petrol head and does not bother about the money lying in the bank, BMW should be your choice.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 16:57   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies for not providing the background information. So the 3 was used exclusively by me. Dad can't drive it due to the excessive low seating causing back and knee issues. I am planning to move out of the country next year and hence the 3 would be sold off in all likelihood as it would not be used at all.

This car is for dad. He is currently driving the Ecosport since we had to sell of the Altis due to NGT. The Ecosport is relatively new and would stay. Hence the decision to buy a compact SUV which can be used alongside the Ecosport.
Just a thought, since you already have a new-ish EcoSport which is perfect for city driving for your father; why not look for a nice upgrade from the 3, via the pre-owned route?
I am assuming this new car will clock fewer kms once you leave the country, and since the Altis was comfortable enough for your father - you can look at some sedans that meet that criteria (W212, F10, etc.) or SUVs from a segment above (previous gen X3, GLC, etc.).
They will have the brand value, feel like a proper upgrade from the 3 series, fun to drive, etc. and still save you a packet compared to a new X1.
Yes - the NGT rule is a spoilsport, but I reckon most Delhi people have found a work around that by buying cars registered in nearby states.

If not - it really boils down to his requirements as Turbonator pointed out. If brand value matters, get the X1; otherwise the Kia should do the trick.
Old 21st December 2019, 17:02   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
They will have the brand value, feel like a proper upgrade from the 3 series, fun to drive, etc. and still save you a packet compared to a new X1.
Yes - the NGT rule is a spoilsport, but I reckon most Delhi people have found a work around that by buying cars registered in nearby states.
No the NGT rule comes into play here. There is no going around it. You can risk driving your car but technically it would be without a valid insurance and is illegal. Some insurance companies are still issuing policies and later going back on claims citing that the car wasn't road worthy to begin with. Pre-owned luxury cars is not our cup of tea. And given the traffic and parking scenario, a larger car does not fit in the equation anywhere.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 21:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

If the car is for your dad, let him test drive the two cars and see which one is more comfortable for him. A lot of people prefer a higher seating position, but both my dad and I prefer a lower seating position. We just got used to all our previous cars being like that. I assume budget isn't a constraint, so let him pick what he prefers
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 09:30   #40
V3V

Slightly late to the party, but I would recommend X1 unless your father has strong preference towards X1. I have recently bought the 20i guise of X1. It’s a very well built car and it’s a joy to drive even for a 15 min trip to the market. Rationally speaking, yes KIA makes more sense as a cheaper car with more features, but BMW does have some additional intangibles going for it which in my mind swing the decision in its favour (And if the selection was a completely rational decision, you wouldn’t be asking this question :P)
V3V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 17:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

I recommend X1. With you moving out of the country, you clearly don't need sedans anymore. let Ecosport be relegated to being a beater car, given it is a fairly reliable runabout.

Luxury products are never about being VFM. While it's a testimony that Seltos is able to punch above its weight, it's still not comparable to BMW driving experience. The good thing with X1 is that despite being a luxury product, it's fairly practical too.

Best of luck!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 13th January 2020 at 17:24.
Old 13th January 2020, 21:37   #42
BHPian

If your usage will be in rear seats or you want space at the back, I would not pick the X1.

My wife and I both had a very disappointing TD of the X1. It is the cheapest BMW but did not feel like a BMW.

On Mumbai's roads the ride felt extremely stiff.
Old 3rd March 2020, 15:34   #43
Senior - BHPian

BMW India teases new X1. Launch on 05.03.2020https://twitter.com/bmwindia/status/...748588547?s=19
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:53   #44

I strongly recommend the BMW .I upgraded from a XUV to the X1 petrol and i'm loving every single drive till date. The Kia definitely is high on features . There is no comparison in terms of build quality and most important driving dynamics.Get behind the wheel and the only feature I end up using is the volume control for my sound system.The ride is no doubt stiff and for good reason. You don't buy a X1 if you want to be driven around in comfort only. Most of my friends who have driven the car including myself have realised what the German bragging is all about. Handling and power! If you love to drive get the X1 simple if any other considerations then KIA would do well.
Old 3rd April 2020, 15:09   #45
BHPian

A very obvious car to pick, But I concluded (when I was drooling over it), clearly apart from the smug value of the brand and its looks, may be the drive, there was absolutely nothing else going for the car.

Sure! Seltos kinda is spoiling everyone's party, including its own Creta.

Coming back to just the X1, what was unacceptable to me was the seats. Unbelievable they decided to put in such worthless seats and dirty rod for shifter on a car which is supposed to at least trickle with luxury, it ain't cheap!, the rear seats have their own story.

Everyone has their own purpose in a buy, mine was if it was that much money, it need to look good, drive good, be spacious and comfortable.
It sure lost only in the comfort, but that was important. I even chanced upon a 4k run car at 13L discount, but it did not make sense to me. 3 series is an actual car you need to consider and if it is in X series luxury starts at X3, anything else is cheating yourself.

But for your dad's needs the X1 makes a good buy, checks the box - cheapest branded tallboy car!

Last edited by Visaster : 3rd April 2020 at 15:25.
Visaster is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks