Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 11:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Used BMW: 320i vs 320d in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ais View Post
So Beyern Ritz forged alloys, gunmetal grey colour added. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 also.
Hi ais,

The alloys in this pic look simply superb.. No doubt !

Saw your car in the 'Classifieds' section for Sale..
And surprised to see all the pics of the car you uploaded there, as both the side view pics display 2 different sets of alloys..
Apparently viewing, they just mismatch.

I can understand, it might just be a silly mistake.
Hope, you could rectify it soon before others also notice & start poking..

Take care,
Old 3rd September 2020, 13:00   #47
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi ais,

The alloys in this pic look simply superb.. No doubt !

I can understand, it might just be a silly mistake.
Hope, you could rectify it soon before others also notice & start poking,
Thanks!

Its not a mistake. The pics were taken before the change to Beyern alloys. After the change at the BMW ASS, it was about to rain, so I took 1 quick picture. After that, the car is parked in its garage with 2 other cars behind it. Next time I take the BMW out on a sunny day, I'll take more pics.

Any serious buyer will get a fair idea with exisiting pics, and the rest will need to be checked out in person.
Old 5th September 2020, 00:11   #48
BHPian

Since most fellow BHPians have already emphasised enough on the choice between 320d and 320i, let me talk about the maintenance costs as I picked up a 2017 X1 (XLine sDrive 20d) with 6k on the odo in 2018 with no ongoing BSI and BRI packs.

As GTO has mentioned, modern BMWs are fairly reliable, but getting any problem fixed at official BMW ASS will burn a hole through the pocket. My strategy has been to get it serviced annually at BMW ASS which can cost anywhere between 30-50k (at roughly 10k intervals), get it diagnosed there and get the problems fixed at a trusted FNG. Set aside another 25-50k for annual maintenance, you may or may not need it. So far, apart from a tire burst (BMW quoted 45k and got it outside for 18k), and a battery change (BMW quoted 45k, got it replaced at a trusted FNG for 17k), the X1 has been trouble free.

Also, do consider that depending upon the add-ons you opt for, the insurance will set you back by anywhere between 50k-1L.
hridaygandhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 19:00   #49
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Do update on the Michelin PS4 tyres as many are eyeing them.
Drove up to the Parwanoo barrier today. The setup is better than stock for sure. B6 are a bit bubbly on less than perfect surfaces, but then that's 'sporty', right? The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are quieter for sure. Grip level is good, though I didn't push the car too hard around turns, as the tyres are quite crisp- I'll wait for them to settle down and juggle with different pressures too. Did one acceleration from 20kmph in kickdown- I got superb grip and don't see the point of staggered setups.

Steering feel and feedback is better as well, though I don't care much about this aspect. Road feel from tyres matters to me, and that is up substantially.

I'll update again after a proper highway run.

Last edited by ais : 13th September 2020 at 19:02.
ais is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2020, 11:12   #50
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Super! I casually enquired about the OEM 17" G20 Sport variant alloy and it was 50K each!

Do update on the Michelin PS4 tyres as many are eyeing them.
Final update-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4900204 (RFT to Tubeless switch for BMW 320d)

Go for it!
Old 8th October 2020, 18:43   #51
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Even considering the 10 year ban on Diesel cars, I would still go for the 320D simply because it will cost you lower to run, i trust european diesels more than I trust european petrols
With the presently lowered price difference between petrol and diesel, not quite. Highway fuel efficiency for me was 19kmpl for diesel, 16.2 kmpl for petrol. Servicing cost slightly lower for petrol. Both are reliable cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
that 330i looks mint. loved the part about it having its own garage. i don't intend to rain on your parade but isn't 40 lacs awfully close to a brand new 3?
I've reduced the price to 38 lakhs. New is 50+.
Old 22nd November 2020, 12:18   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hridaygandhi View Post

As GTO has mentioned, modern BMWs are fairly reliable, but getting any problem fixed at official BMW ASS will burn a hole through the pocket. My strategy has been to get it serviced annually at BMW ASS which can cost anywhere between 30-50k (at roughly 10k intervals), get it diagnosed there and get the problems fixed at a trusted FNG. Set aside another 25-50k for annual maintenance, you may or may not need it. So far, apart from a tire burst (BMW quoted 45k and got it outside for 18k), and a battery change (BMW quoted 45k, got it replaced at a trusted FNG for 17k), the X1 has been trouble free.
Sorry for the offtopic post. Hi hridaygandhi, tried PMing you but since you're a newbie I couldn't. Can you please share the details & procedures of Battery change on X1?

Our 4 year old X1 has been showing symptoms of a weak battery which was compounded by the lockdown. Was postponing the replacement due to high covid no.s in Kerala but today the car is refusing to start even after multiple attempts.

It would be really helpful if you could provide some insights about the brand/type of battery you used (AGM or non-AGM), what was the procedure followed - as googling shows a very lengthy procedure for a battery change on X1, which usually is an easy job on most cars. And lastly about the coding after battery change too.

BMW replacement will set me back by almost 40k, coupled with below-average experience @ EVM BMW Cochin makes it the last resort for me. I'm planning to take it to an FNG whom we have known for many years but still wanted to be aware of the procedures to be followed. YouTube videos show removing air filters, cowl and even chassis strengthening members to access the battery, & that looks complicated for a battery change work.

Last edited by SUPERSPORT : 22nd November 2020 at 12:23.
Old 22nd November 2020, 13:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
Our 4 year old X1 has been showing symptoms of a weak battery which was compounded by the lockdown.
Hiya.

This is the battery you need to get for the car. I would recommend getting an AGM battery since the stop-start system would take a toll on a non-AGM battery over time, and the battery life on these things is phenomenal in my experience.

A few months back, I changed the battery in my 3 series. My ride is now 8 years old, and the battery wasn't showing any signs of failure, but I still got it done when the car was about 7.5 years old as a precautiomary measure. I stuck with the AGM battery for the reasons stated above.

Some BHPians have got the battery changed at a reasonable price at BMW itself (The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module), and I would suggest you try and cajole your local BMW guys to get it done at a fair price, as you will need to get it coded too.

If you're still averse to getting it done at BMW, get it from outside, and get a good aftermarket shop to do the coding for you. Good luck!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 02:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hiya.

This is the battery you need to get for the car. I would recommend getting an AGM battery since the stop-start system would take a toll on a non-AGM battery over time, and the battery life on these things is phenomenal in my experience.

A few months back, I changed the battery in my 3 series. My ride is now 8 years old, and the battery wasn't showing any signs of failure, but I still got it done when the car was about 7.5 years old as a precautiomary measure. I stuck with the AGM battery for the reasons stated above.

Some BHPians have got the battery changed at a reasonable price at BMW itself (The ULTIMAT3- F30 BMW 328i. EDIT: Upgraded with ///M Exhaust, Injen Intake & Steinbauer Power Module), and I would suggest you try and cajole your local BMW guys to get it done at a fair price, as you will need to get it coded too.

If you're still averse to getting it done at BMW, get it from outside, and get a good aftermarket shop to do the coding for you. Good luck!
Thanks Iliketurtles for the quick reply. Sorry for the late response from my side, was caught up with few other things. I contacted both BMW as well as Swastik fabs, and as expected BMW quoted 43k and no other discounts. Also enquired whether they can fit & register the battery if sourced from outside for which he replied they will require a BMW bill.

Swastik fabs informed me that the battery required would be an 80Ah one and not 70Ah. Are you sure the battery model is E39 itself for the F48 X1? Mine is an Sdrive 20d. Searching online I found both 70 Ah as well as 80 Ah batteries used in the F48 X1. Is there any way to get accurate info on the same?

The 80 Ah AGM batteries are out of stock and the next consignment is expected by December 14th. That's quite some time to wait for but we should be able to manage that.

Also got to know that the Amaron 80 Ah batteries are readily available and that too at a very low price compared to AGM batteries. Now I'm in a dilemma whether to wait for more than 2 weeks and spend on AGM battery or go with an Amaron immediately. Will there be any issues in case I'm using Amaron w.r.t to vehicle electronics or IBS etc?

We have never used the start-stop system in our X1 which is one of the strengths of an AGM battery. I switch it OFF the moment I start the car because in Kerala traffic it's simply impractical. And when it comes to battery life, again we could only manage 4 years which is what any normal battery too would score. At the same time our cars do have so many electronic nannies built to tight tolerances and I'm paranoid whether a normal lead-acid battery may cause trouble to any of those. So confused what battery type to go for.

And when it comes to my apprehension about BMW authorised, what to do, our experience with EVM BMW has been pathetic. I visited them 9 times in the first 3 years for minor troubles, none of them has been solved yet. They also messed up the regular oil change in the 2nd year where even though I paid for it, service record isn't shown in the idrive (not updated yet). This was found after the car gave a one-off false low oil warning in 3rd year. Many more minor but bad service experiences remain, & I will have to make a separate thread for that. Remember we also have a 11 year old Fiat for which the service support has been excellent, so my benchmark is not that high.

Thanks for the guidance, because when you have after-sales support like this, it's team-bhp to the rescue. I will be contacting the Bosch service centre in Kochi (have known them for a few years) to check whether they can register the new battery. If yes then the next decision to make is whether Varta AGM or Amaron to go for. And also whether it's 70 Ah/80 Ah.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 23:14   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..As expected BMW quoted 43k and no other discounts. Also enquired whether they can fit & register the battery if sourced from outside for which he replied they will require a BMW bill.
I've generally found BMW after sales to be pretty good, but sometimes you get a bad apple in a bunch. Batteries are a big profit center for the workshops, and I can understand why you'd be peeved by this attitude. Look outside the authorised network to get things done.

Quote:
Swastik fabs informed me that the battery required would be an 80Ah one and not 70Ah. Are you sure the battery model is E39 itself for the F48 X1? Mine is an Sdrive 20d. Searching online I found both 70 Ah as well as 80 Ah batteries used in the F48 X1. Is there any way to get accurate info on the same?
I would definitely back their wisdom over mine To the best of my knowledge, 70Ah ones have definitely been used in F30 3 series, and I imagine X1's won't be worse off with the 70's. But again, if I were in your place, I'd defer to his opinion.

Quote:
Also got to know that the Amaron 80 Ah batteries are readily available and that too at a very low price compared to AGM batteries. Now I'm in a dilemma whether to wait for more than 2 weeks and spend on AGM battery or go with an Amaron immediately. Will there be any issues in case I'm using Amaron w.r.t to vehicle electronics or IBS etc?
The price difference is primarily since the OEM Varta battery was AGM, while the Amaron is non-AGM, using liquid electrolyte. The former has its upsides over the latter, and I would stick with it since these German cars can be very finicky, and it doesn't pay to cheap out with them. If I were you, I'd buy the Varta AGM battery. I hear Exide has an AGM battery too, tried to locate some dealers selling it in Bombay pre-pandemic, but had zero luck. Maybe it's an urban myth.

Quote:
We have never used the start-stop system in our X1 which is one of the strengths of an AGM battery....At the same time our cars do have so many electronic nannies built to tight tolerances and I'm paranoid whether a normal lead-acid battery may cause trouble to any of those. So confused what battery type to go for.
Like you, I too don't use the stop-start system. It's too coarse and unrefined. My reasoning behind preferring the AGM battery when the time came for me to change is that there are too many electronics in the car, sucking on power even while the car is locked. And I have a dashcam too (albeit with a power management system), so the AGM just made more sense. Buy once, buy well. I don't believe normal batteries would mess with the car, because I haven't heard of anything of the kind. But I certainly wouldn't risk it myself. The Varta is available at a fair-ish price, go for it, don't think twice.

Quote:
We also have a 11 year old Fiat for which the service support has been excellent, so my benchmark is not that high.
it's saying a lot when your BMW experience can't match up to the FIAT! Live and let live.

Quote:
I will be contacting the Bosch service centre in Kochi (have known them for a few years) to check whether they can register the new battery. If yes then the next decision to make is whether Varta AGM or Amaron to go for. And also whether it's 70 Ah/80 Ah.
If not Bosch, what about Pete's? They've been on the scene for years and years, maybe they can help?

My sincere advice is to go with 80 Ah, as Swastik suggested, and AGM. Don't cheap out on a component that is central to providing peace of mind. Good luck, I'm rooting for you.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 18:42   #56
BHPian

Hi Folks - I finally have an update for my journey which began with me starting up this thread to compare used 320i vs 320d.

I got a final offer for INR 22Lacs for the 320d - 2017 Jan Registered vehicle - this was during Aug 2020. While the offer was decent, but somehow I couldn't pull the trigger as it would still leave me with only ~5 worry free years to enjoy, in the 6th year - I'd probably be looking to sell it off by getting an NOC from Delhi RTO. I didn't want to buy a car which already had a ticking timeline attached (courtesy the 10 year diesel NCR rule).

I have now booked a new 330i Sport - Mediterranean Blue - after being inspired from itwasntme's thread! Closed the deal on Christmas for INR 41.9Lacs on road with BSI and Warranty separate. Will be posting a detailed update on my journey and experience once I get time to pen it down.

But none the less, Team Bhp and itwasntme's thread were crucial in helping with my decision to bring home the beauty.

For now awaiting delivery on 4th Jan 2021
kartikv1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:59   #57
ais
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitverma View Post
that 330i looks mint. loved the part about it having its own garage. i don't intend to rain on your parade but isn't 40 lacs awfully close to a brand new 3?
I eventually sold it for 36.5 lakhs. Insurance and service were upcoming. 4819kms on odometer.

Sad, but if the car is standing and giving me more stress than joy, sensible thing to do.
ais is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks