Team-BHP - A used W124 E250D? EDIT : Now bought. Thanks!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Luxury, Imports & Niche (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/)
-   -   A used W124 E250D? EDIT : Now bought. Thanks! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury-imports-niche/26734-used-w124-e250d-edit-now-bought-thanks-9.html)

Folks - Just for my understanding, how different is a W124 in E300D v/s a E250D?

I assume they share the same engine with an additional cylinder and the 300D wasnt sold in India, but what other differences?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 1734736)
Folks - Just for my understanding, how different is a W124 in E300D v/s a E250D?

Relevant to India, all the 300D's you'll see are imports. Lower stance + better build (though all the 300Ds will be older too). The 300D (IIRC) had about 25 more horses than the E250D.

Very usefull 25 horses more as I find after driving the 2. The other major difference is E300D is a six pot and 250 a 5 pot. The best in the lot are the 94 model authentic E300D's best of both age and power

also with the 300D you have electric power seats,& auto transmission.few models also came with the sun roof option.also there is a difference in the bumper & the headlamps.

I have seen 300 D which came without Power Windows and Airbags. I did not like the feel of that model. Maybe the Engine has a Little Extra Power but they are older than their Indian Cousins. :)

I had noticed an immaculate looking 300D in our classifieds itself. The car was on sale until 2 weeks back. Asking price = 4.5 lakhs. Too high, but surely negotiable.

GTO that car is a convert i.e left to right and it is an 88 but airbags are of a much later model. I was about go check it out but felt the asking was a bit stretched. As usual he is an investor so not worth it

Quote:

Originally Posted by canonball (Post 1752569)
left to right and it is an 88 but airbags are of a much later model

Well, now that you brought it up, I'll say this : The car is not a convert. It's actually a later model that's been backdated at the time of import to save on duties. I don't think the customs will bother with the duties on a 20 year car now, so it's probably still a good buy.

Run a check on its 124 chassis number :)

GTO can you PM me the details of where this car is in Mumbai ? :)

The wiper is on the wrong side which is why I felt it is a convert and on asking the seller he fained ignorance!

Since you mentioned customes etc I am faced with a similar opposite situation on a car which is actually a 87 shown as 92 and shipped into India in 1997!! So I am confused you have any idea as this case is just the opposite of what you stated. Regarding customs & DRI there seems to no clariety on time periods to reopen cases. Sellers convinientely state what you have, one guy even said they don't open cases after 5 years but cannot furnish any fineprint on it? Do you have any clue how these things work as I have had to trun away from cars because of this. By the way the 300D we are discussing was also shipped into india in 96/97! Dealers who sold these cars often quoted the term bumped up. Inact I was shown similar blue car in 98 stating that this is facelift model like India car and is a 94 when the bonnet and many other things did not add up she turned out to be a 88 :) without any marking on her but for the seat belt tags ;)

Do sahe any relevant expereince info you might have had as it will help and give piece of mind when buying cars from the 90's

Quote:

Originally Posted by supercars (Post 1755486)
GTO can you PM me the details of where this car is in Mumbai ? :)

Why PM? I'll put it up here so that others may potentially benefit too.

Seller name : Khalid. No : 9224390410

300D with (supposedly) <70,000 kms. Was owned by the Eastern Shipping Co.

@ Canonball : Safest to buy the Indian E220 / E250 no?

You bet my only grouse they are a tad slow in Auto (my preference to drive in Mumbai) :( and doing trial and error with pump setting is a bit er trial and error not to mentione few cars were sold in auto spec

Thank You GTO. :)

I will contact as soon as I have the time. :)

Can someone give the rest of the review ?

I just found a small part of it.:)

There is one W124 which is a 1993 Mercedes Benz, Made in Stuttgart, 5 Cylinder-250 Diesel, W124, Import. Drove it today the car is slightly sluggish and found the clutch to be lethargic. It takes a long time to engage. Is it true of all W124's? The owner says he has replaced the clutch master cylinder a few months back and that the clutch is ok. Also what should be a good offer price for this car? It has done about 1,12,000 Kms till date. I need to make an offer to him so please do give advise.
Also the following works need to be done:-
1. Central locking not working.
2. Side indicator is missing.
3. ABS light is always on.
4. Power windows need to be checked.
These are the things which the owner told me need work. Rest according to him is perfectly ok.