Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2023, 13:35   #1

Audi Q7 Vs BMW X5 Vs Mercedes GLE | Which Luxury SUV?

Hi

I am in the process of upgrading from my Fortuner to a luxury SUV. After test drives and reading reviews of many others like Volvo XC90 etc, I have short listed these 3 options.

1) Audi Q7: I love the way it drives - pickup, handling, overall interiors. Though after looking at new X5/GLE, dashboard feels a bit dated. The pros are value for money while cons are brand name.

2) BMW X5: Love the new version. Best pickup/road handling amongst 3. Cons is 25-30 lakhs more expensive than Q7 and 2nd row seat is too upright. I feel that on very long drives, this might be issue for rear seat passengers.

3) GLE: Best interiors amongst the 3. Good leg space/recline angle/thigh support in back seat as well. But drive quality was not upto the mark. I didn't find it too responsive. Engine felt underpowered. Also, bumps on road got passed more to passengers compared to X5 and Q7.

I will love to hear user review from people on above 3 options and their story while going through similar journey of choosing SUV in this range.

I don't see many people posting about Q7 in this forum. How is long term ownership of Q7 in terms of fuel efficiency, maintenance frequency (apart from regular service)/associated costs?

Last edited by graaja : 6th September 2023 at 07:25. Reason: Minor typo
smile_plzz is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 15:12   #2
BANNED

re: Audi Q7 Vs BMW X5 Vs Mercedes GLE | Which Luxury SUV?

Hey, I think it all comes down to the cost.
Q7 is a very good car, but the facelift is due soon. Currently, you might get some good discounts on the Q7 too. It will save you a lot of money over X5, and GLE.

With GLE, go for the GLE 400d variant, but it will be expensive and you should try for some discounts. You won't find the 400d variant underpowered at all.

With X5, it has all the latest tech, and it looks awesome in real, but it is expensive, around 1.25CR On-road I guess.

In conclusion, you should first decide on the budget. For anything strictly under 90l-1Cr, go for Q7. If the budget is higher, then if you prefer a chauffeur go for GLE 400d, otherwise go for BMW X5 if you prefer to drive yourself.

Also, remember Q7 is available only in petrol option whereas GLE and X5 are available in both petrol and diesel.

All the best!
aseem23 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 09:23   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi Q7 Vs BMW X5 Vs Mercedes GLE | Which Luxury SUV?

What matters is which car appeals to you the most and clearly, you prefer the Q7 & X5. Take another long test-drive and pick whichever of the two tugs the strings to your heart more.

Once luxury car dealerships know you are serious, you'll easily get a longer TD, and also a full day or weekend with the car at your house.

In terms of price, no one can beat Audi, especially when they start talking of discounts.

The Q7 is a wonderful machine, one of Audi's top cars. The powerful 3.0 turbo-petrol, air suspension, equipment etc. will keep you happy. But if I liked the X5 more, personally, I would spend the extra cash and then enjoy the car more...keep the car for longer. You must read my article on this subject (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem23 View Post
Also, remember Q7 is available only in petrol option whereas GLE and X5 are available in both petrol and diesel.
He's from Noida. Petrol is the preferred choice there. No point buying a 1-crore diesel car and selling it for peanuts in the 8th-9th year of ownership.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 09:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile_plzz View Post
1) Audi Q7: I love the way it drives- pickup, handling, overall interiors. Though after looking at new X5/GLE, dashboard feels a bit dated. Pros is value for money while cons is brand name.

2) BMW X5: Love the new version. Best pickup/road handling amongst 3. Cons is 25-30 lakhs more expensive than Q7 and 2nd row seat is too upright. I feel that on very long drives, this might be issue for rear seat passengers.
Your observations are spot on, for all the vehicles Since you are in a budget and X7 will be far, between X5 and Q7, keeping money a differentiator as well as overall value, Q7 will be better.

X5 should be considered if you travel mostly alone or two and occasionally have passengers in the rear. For that job, they have an X7. So, you will need to trade off something.

Last edited by Turbanator : 5th September 2023 at 09:41.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 09:47   #5
BHPian

Hi. While Q7 is the better deal here, I am not a fan of the shape of Q7 or GLE (this is personal of course) I would go for the X5 as it’s the latest with great tech, superb engines and drivability. I test drove it recently and have posted on T BHP. It’s a hoot to drive. If you drive yourself look no further. If chauffeured then any of the 3 would be fine.

Last edited by XDriver : 5th September 2023 at 09:49.
XDriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 10:34   #6
BHPian

Go for X5 40i. In my eyes, it looks the best of the lot with the best handling and performance.

Go for the X-Line variant OTR- 1.10 cr if you are price-conscious.
vattyboy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 10:49   #7
BHPian

While I agree X5 is a fresh product and arguably has an eager powertrain, 25-30 lakh cheaper price tag on Q7 makes it a no brainer, its possibly close to GLC on the price and you are getting a V6 petrol with good higher quality interiors, however, on the handling front Q7 has some body roll when one tries to attack a corner at speed, X5 may be better on this front if handling is a priority.
abaliga is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 11:42   #8

Hi. Upgrading from these BOF SUVs is not an easy feat. I mean, from a performance and refinement point of view, any of the above vehicles will be miles ahead of Fortuner /Endeavour. But as a package, with their versatility and ability to seat 7, I am not able to find any vehicle for when we are in the same boat in another year unless entering the X7/ GLS segment (P.S. - way over budget for us).

Defender seems like a great choice as it offers the size and has the ability to stand out. But it is running loooong wait times and a considerable premium is being charged by the dealers.

Q7, if available in the ~85 lakhs price range, is a great choice IMO.

For me, I am gunning for the Defender as it is the only option which tugs at heartstrings same as Endeavour did 7 years back.

Happy Shopping and please keep us posted on your final choice and thought process while selecting as it will be interesting and helpful for me.
Shorya1412 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 16:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What matters is which car appeals to you the most and clearly, you prefer the Q7 & X5. Take another long test-drive and pick whichever of the two tugs the strings to your heart more.

Once luxury car dealerships know you are serious, you'll easily get a longer TD, and also a full day or weekend with the car at your house.

In terms of price, no one can beat Audi, especially when they start talking of discounts.

The Q7 is a wonderful machine, one of Audi's top cars. The powerful 3.0 turbo-petrol, air suspension, equipment etc. will keep you happy. But if I liked the X5 more, personally, I would spend the extra cash and then enjoy the car more...
Thanks GTO for your feedback. Personally I am equally happy with Q7 and X5. If I am looking at equivalent features (nearly!!), X5-M sport is about 1.25cr while Q7 will land about 90. 35 is huge difference. But my wife is not so happy with Audi Badge. Somehow I feel that Audi is not given same respect as BM or Merc in India while it's not so much in western world or even in China where luxury car segment is 30-40 times of India. Audi is sold at nearly same price as other two outside India and sales numbers are comparable.

Regarding your thread on keeping car longer, Do you think BMW has longer life compared to Audi? I have friends who have kept Q5 and A4's, they are all happy and have kept them for 9-10 years without any issues. I tend to keep my cars for long till the time number of visits to workshop start bothering me. I just sold my fortunner just under 10 years (because of Diesel ban!!).

Does anyone here has first hand experience of keeping Q7 for longer periods?

On the rear seat issues, a questions for BMW-X5 owners, is it a genuine issue of uncomfortable 2nd row seats? Or maybe I am coming from Fortunner where you could recline rear seats to nearly flat bed and that's why sceptical on 2nd row seats.
Old 5th September 2023, 18:46   #10
BHPian

My vote goes to the Q7 in this case given its equipment list, a nice lusty engine and gearbox combo and its versatility.

This video although 7 years old where the Auto Car team drives the Q7s from Germany to India, some 20K KMS in one stretch is a testament to its build quality and reliability. Although this was the TDI power train, the 55 TFSI power train is very good and puts down some serious power. If you can get hold of a mouthwatering discount ( which you can very well with Audi), this will be a keeper and should serve you well for a very long time.

vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 21:51   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks GTO for your feedback. Personally I am equally happy with Q7 and X5. If I am looking at equivalent features (nearly!!), X5-M sport is about 1.25cr while Q7 will land about 90. 35 is huge difference
Hey, are you sure you are not comparing then onroad price of the X5 with the ex showroom price of the Q7 ? 90 seems like a really low price to be on road. The lowest I got when I was negotiating with the dealer here in Pune was 1.06 cr on road Pune for the Q7 top variant.

Cheers
Dieselite
Dieselite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 10:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
But my wife is not so happy with Audi Badge. Somehow I feel that Audi is not given same respect as BM or Merc in India while it's not so much in western world or even in China where luxury car segment is 30-40 times of India. Audi is sold at nearly same price as other two outside India and sales numbers are comparable.

Regarding your thread on keeping car longer, Do you think BMW has longer life compared to Audi?
I will take liberty to post my thoughts here. What's the point in impressing those who actually have no idea about cars (I mean the people in your circle who may have preconceived notions about Audi/BMW)? I go to countryside where my farm is (really remote area) where I have been asked why you bought Audi Q5 and not a Fortuner(nothing against it though)! And there are some places where a luxury vehicle will make a mark (and actually makes a difference), like business/client meetings etc. Make no mistake, whether an Audi or BMW or Merc, ANY of them will make a mark!

I would say if YOU and family like the interiors/exteriors etc. go for it. C&D magazine rates Audi Q7 and GLE same and X5 a bit higher. I personally think yes, X5 is more agile/sporty but there are hardly any roads in India to take advantage of that supposed sportiness in India. Q7 interiors are very good. Exteriors are subjective. If the price differential is much, Q7 should be considered. Very popular in China.

I have a 2010 Audi Q5 and still runs like a charm. At least as reliable as other Germans (anecdotally at least).

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 6th September 2023 at 10:38.
OffRoadFun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 15:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

Main advantage bmw and Benz has is in their powerful yet fuel efficient diesel engines which is why public perception doesn’t find Audis attractive anymore. If you are buying petrol anyway, go for the Audi.
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 14:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
Hey, are you sure you are not comparing then onroad price of the X5 with the ex showroom price of the Q7 ? 90 seems like a really low price to be on road. The lowest I got when I was negotiating with the dealer here in Pune was 1.06 cr on road Pune for the Q7 top variant.

Cheers
Dieselite
Q7 has very good discounts. I did some preliminary discussions with 1 dealer. Once I firm up my mind, I will be able to do better negotiation and let you know exact discount.

I am comparing OTR costing including 5 years warranty and 5 years comprehensive service packs. I want to have complete freedom of mind for at least 5 years. Audi has warranty included in their base price, I have to only add CSP. I am comparing Premium Plus of Audi. Technology pack doesn't add much value in Audi but in case of BMW X5, you will have to go to M-Sport model if you want to even have Air Suspensions. In X5, both extended warranty and CSP has to be bought. It costs roughly 1.15CR for base model and 1.25CR for M-Sport model in X5 including both EW and CSP. Q7 Premium Plus(All inclusive) I believe I will be able to negotiate around 90.
smile_plzz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 18:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I have short listed these 3 options.

1) Audi Q7
2) BMW X5
3) GLE
Quote:
But my wife is not so happy with Audi Badge. Somehow I feel that Audi is not given same respect as BM or Merc in India while it's not so much in western world or even in China where luxury car segment is 30-40 times of India.
Quote:
Q7 has very good discounts. I believe I will be able to negotiate around 90.
My pick in this segment would be GLE, if you can live with the underpowered 4 banger. Otherwise pay up a bit more and go for the 450. It's the newest, nicest and gives you the brand bragging rights.

Audi Q7 and Volvo XC90 are too old now and probably in their last year as the current model. Almost 7 years at least since launch and ready for a model change.

X5 would be the drivers pick. At least you won't feel shortchanged and get a 6-cylinder as standard.

Take a look at the Land Rover Defender as well, but in the 6-cylinder variant, it will be even more expensive.

Your wife isn't entirely inaccurate in her assessment, Audi generally has less brand cache and a bit cheaper (even in the developed markets), among the big 3 German luxury auto manufacturers (the other two being Mercedes and BMW).

However, at ~90 lakhs, Audi Q7 will be around 20 lakhs cheaper than the cheapest X5 and 30 lakhs cheaper than the 6-cylinder GLE. This does make things a bit tricky. In the end, think twice, buy what makes you feel the best, at this price range, you want to feel good for years to come and shouldn't have buyers remorse. If you are looking for a car in this segment, you are doing alright.

Last edited by inwester : 7th September 2023 at 19:03.
inwester is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks