Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:47   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeff View Post
Congrats on your new ride!!
I'm sure our inhouse C220 CDI expert GTO will be be able guide you best . Look through his ownership thread. It is a treasure trove!
Thank you redeff...

Its GTO's views in the firum regards the C220CDI that got me thinking/open minded towards the C class. I had a very low opinion of the C Class as the ones I had test driven were 180s & 200s some years back. This new face lifted C220CDI is altogether another machine.
Old 4th November 2009, 11:28   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge but what are the symptoms felt that lead to replacement of engine mounting?
Dead giveaway : Enhanced vibration at idling, and when revving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
I have recently aquired a 2005 W203 C220CDI and its a helluva drive!!!!
Congrats! The facelift C220 is a heck of a drive. The only 6 speed modern Merc you can buy, stonking performance, grip levels and braking. The only real downside of the car is early part failure in some areas (e.g. engine mounts), but as long as you budget for 50 - 75K in annual maintenance, you'll be all set. Mines clocked 60K, planning to keep her for a long time to come. Best part is, she feels exactly as she did when new.

Quote:
PO has the entire documentation right form original invoice upto service history etc. he has "misplaced" the owner's manual!!! just my luck!!!
If you want to xerox my owners manual, just drop a PM whenever you are around the South Bombay area.

Quote:
There is this Auto button on the AC console. I have a rough idea as to what it does but require a detialed clarification and instructions as to how / when it is to be used.
That's the climate control. Press Auto and start driving, the computers will keep the cabin chilled (continually varying blower speed + air temperature). You can also press Auto + choose temperature (two small rotary dials). The climate control will maintain that set temperature in the cabin.

For the record, I use manual controls more than the climate control (99 : 1 ratio).

Neat explanation by Dippy : Difference between aircon and climate control

Quote:
There is an AC vent controller like rotary dial in a longitudanal orientatinon the flat centre part of the dash below the perforated speaker lke fitting. What does that do?
Irrelevant to Indian use. Moving the dial toward the windscreen will open up the windscreen blower. Helpful when say, you want to melt the ice on your windscreen (distant dream in Mumbai weather ).
Old 4th November 2009, 22:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...Best part is, she feels exactly as she did when new..
Something I have found with all "well" maintained Benz. All goes down to build quality.
Quote:
...If you want to xerox my owners manual, just drop a PM whenever you are around the South Bombay area.....
Yes please...will pm you shortly and thanks in advance.
Quote:
...Neat explanation by Dippy : Difference between aircon and climate control.....
Yes, extremely informative and thanks for the link.

Thanks again to all for the replies. This web site is mind blowing.
Old 13th November 2009, 21:16   #19
BHPian

Quote:
...owners manual...
Thanks for all the help
Old 14th November 2009, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
...If you want to xerox my owners manual, just drop a PM...
As usual and as expected GTO has come through. I got the photocopy yesterday, delivered to my doorstep ... Thanks GTO.

As pm'ed to GTO: Its a real pleasure to have the manual and operate the vehicle the way the manufacturer intended it.

Again...many thanks
Old 14th November 2009, 15:39   #21
BHPian

Benz W203 Classic, Elegance, Avantgarde...Differences?

Have been searching here and the net but could not find specifically the following:

Mercedes C Class (W203) MY 2000 - 2006:

Was it produced for India in the Elegance trim? I know Classic was 'cause thats the one I have. But I notice that the front rad grille in mine is different (more like the older Benz ie the 123s/124s & 210s) as in grey mesh / thin chrome strips as compared to the ones that have the black horizontal slats with 3 or 4 thicker chrome "pattis" (Like GTO's).

So my query: What are the differences in the Classic & Elegance trims? Interior and exterior. Pics would be most helpful.

Thanks.
Old 14th November 2009, 17:41   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I got the photocopy yesterday, delivered to my doorstep
Glad the copy reached you just fine. To be honest, I myself haven't read the manual yet .

Feel free to ask any C220-specific queries that may come by in your ownership. She is a heck of a sedan on the highway. Have fun cruising.
Old 14th November 2009, 19:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
...To be honest, I myself haven't read the manual yet...
You should...with your experience & level of R&D, you probably could add to it !!!

Quote:
...Feel free to ask any C220-specific queries that may come by in your ownership. She is a heck of a sedan on the highway. Have fun cruising.
Just did, please be my guest!!! :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/luxury...fferences.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1568633-post31.html

Regards.
Old 15th November 2009, 14:54   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Mohnish, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Best to keep it in one discussion only.

Quote:
Was it produced for India in the Elegance trim?
AFAIK, from the time that the C class was facelifted in 2005, it was sold only in one fully loaded trim level.
Old 15th November 2009, 16:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mohnish, I have merged your thread with this existing one. Best to keep it in one discussion only.
Soungs good...So will post my pics (after detailing etc.) & queries etc. in this thread itself.
Quote:
...AFAIK, from the time that the C class was facelifted in 2005, it was sold only in one fully loaded trim level.
Darn strange...my C220CDI has "Classic" on the side badge and also the rad grille is different from yours. Otherwise, interior is exactly the same as you have described your C.

UPDATE:

Detailing done...and then it rained again last night!!! Switched to Michelin Primacy LC 225/55/16 from the Stock Good Year 205/50/16. Yep, I know the circum. of the tyres increases (by 3.5%) marginally and that would upset my speedo / odo and also reduce 0-60 a bit, but its a lot lot smoother (the way I like the ride).

As soon as I can figure out why/what grille should be at the friont end, I will switch to what it is supposed to be.

Anyone know of Mercedes Benz aftermarket accessories stockist here (Mumbai)?

Last edited by Mohnish : 15th November 2009 at 16:40. Reason: UPDATE
Old 15th November 2009, 19:28   #26
BHPian

Grille vs Grille !

Ok, managed to sourse some pics of the net:

The one on the left is the type of rad grille I have and on the right is the one I see on other W203s on the net as well as GTO's.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W203 C220CDI or W211 E200K-rad-grille-1.jpg  

Mercedes W203 C220CDI or W211 E200K-rad-grille-2.jpg  

Last edited by Mohnish : 15th November 2009 at 19:29.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:08   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
my C220CDI has "Classic" on the side badge
Mine too.

Quote:
and also the rad grille is different from yours.
Could be that the previous owner changed the radiator grille? Was damaged?
Old 16th November 2009, 14:51   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Mine too...
Ok, that part is sorted out...thanks!

Quote:
...Could be that the previous owner changed the radiator grille? Was damaged?
Damaged most definately and either the PO or the dealer went in for the older W203 grille either for non availabiity or cost factors.

Now my problem: All the grilles available in the market are the ones with the three pointer star in the middle (CL type), which means I have to drop the bonnet emblem (which I like) and put the badge. Retaining the bonnet emblem with a CL type rad grille looks very down market. Hmm! So what now...?
Old 22nd November 2009, 10:29   #29
BHPian

W203 2005 RVM amber light Query

I notice there are two amber lights on the underside of the Inside Rear View Mirror. They are on all the time, ie whenever the engine is on, irrespective of day / night, parking lights on / off etc etc. These two stay on.

What are these?

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd November 2009, 12:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now my problem: All the grilles available in the market are the ones with the three pointer star in the middle (CL type), which means I have to drop the bonnet emblem (which I like) and put the badge. Retaining the bonnet emblem with a CL type rad grille looks very down market. Hmm! So what now...?
Lets see if i can manage one for you from the dealership. Will let you know of the cost. If you take a round at opera house you might get one too.

Quote:
I notice there are two amber lights on the underside of the Inside Rear View Mirror. They are on all the time, ie whenever the engine is on, irrespective of day / night, parking lights on / off etc etc. These two stay on.

What are these?

Thanks in advance.
They should be the ambient lights. Have them on the ML too. they can be switched off with the buttons on the roof, atleast in the ML they do.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks