Team-BHP > What Car? > Luxury, Imports & Niche
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2010, 23:07   #1
BHPian

Luxury Sedan Advice Needed - A6 vs E-Class vs 5-series

Hey everyone,

My dad is currently looking to buy a luxury sedan. Simple.

He was looking at the 3 series at first but after checking finances its clear that the budget can extend comfortably to a 530d Highline . In that price range however there is a fair bit of competition and I'm looking for some advice.

Between the Audi A6, Merc E-Class and the current 5 series, which one would you suggest?
What exactly is the difference between the highline and the normal 530d?
Also, is it worth waiting for the next gen 5 series?
What kind of discounts are people getting on the existing 5 series?

Important criteria in the car -- Rear seat legroom and width (has to be somewhat close to Honda Accord levels of space), driving pleasure.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 25th March 2010, 23:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

i would go for the New E.
simply because it is the Newest Baby in town.
plus it is a fantastic car.
Old 25th March 2010, 23:21   #3
BHPian

You did not mention whether your father prefers self-drive or chauffer driven.

If self-dive -> wait for the next gen 5 series which will be out before Diwali.

If he is the rear seat type -> then definitely the new E class is the best choice. The new E250D is pretty good value for money with as much torque as that of a BMW 530D

If I were you I would skip the current 5 series, does not make any sense to buy obselete product, unless you get say 10 lacs discount or something.
If you still want to go in for the current 5 series you can look up the specs and differences between the 530d and the 530d Highline on the BMW India site.

Regarding the A6, the new one is going to be out soon too and the current one is not on par with the new E class.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck and safe driving.
Old 26th March 2010, 00:14   #4
BHPian

If you decide on a 5 series WAIT for the new model. Intro of a new model in these cars significantly lowers the price of the current model when you want to sell it - by a far larger amount than the discount oferred.

Cannot tell you about the others, I am a Mercedes lover and I can tell you a little about the E250 CDI Blue Efficiency I currently own. I upgraded from the older C class CDI so note my observation above.

First - the price point is just right at about Rs. 39 L. It should be on the road at Rs. 40.5L or there about. It is cheaper than the petrol variant. Some of the insurers offer a extended cover for these vehicles where by glass, plastic and rubber is fully covered. Do not forget to buy that - costs about Rs. 4K extra.
Second - The engine. 4 cyls in-line. Arguably the best diesel in this class. Speced at 500 nM torque @ 1800 RPM. Extremely efficient. I have not started to measure the FE since the car is not yet 3 months old. But I think I am getting abt 9 KM/ltr. Good for anybody. The 250 has 2.1Ltr engine. Same as the C-Class but with higher torque. Bigger car, smaller more efficient engine. Twin turbo. Speced at 0-100KM in 7.2 secs. Not that you will ever do that - if you have power you do not have to flaunt it.
Third - The technology. Absolutely leading edge. Unfortunately the Merc India website has not been updated for the E250. The info you get is mostly for the E350 - even the brochure. So you willl have to go doen to the dealer. The E250 is available only in Elegance trim. The only down side for the E250 CDI is the 4 speed GB. The other E models have 7 speed GB.
Every thing is either "assisted" or "adaptive".
Fourth - Safety - No compromise. As with all mercs.
Fifth - Run flat, low rolling resistance tyres. Read expensive. But you get 5. The spare comes with the alloy. BMW give only four. I would have preferred tubeless. It has a tyre pressure loss warning system to tell you you are running flat.
ICE - 6 CD changer. Integrated to the command system - Ipod, USB players, bluetooth telephony integrated. Cables supplied. Check if your phone is MB tested though.
The drive - wonderful. But it is not a Varoom car. It expects you to treat it with respect. Good amout of room inside. Huge boot.

In short - a classic.

If you can convince your dad for an additional Rs. 10L you can look at E350. Both Avante Garde and Elegance trims are available. But IMHO V6 in India is a waste of power as you never use it and and it guzzels gas which you pay for. Between the E250 and E350 from an efficiecy viewpoint the E250 has a head start.

Regards

Sid
Old 26th March 2010, 01:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Between the three if you have to buy right now (as in, you can't wait for the upcoming new gen 5 series) it'd have to be the e-class. Best blend of everything you want plus the image of three pointed star! If you can wait for the new 5 series, then get it by all means (i'm biased )!

Personally, I find the A6 a bit drab.

Make sure you read GTO's (excellent) review on the e-class, here.
Old 26th March 2010, 02:40   #6
BHPian

I will suggest you to get Audi A6 as the car has really good space and comfortable rear seats. You may also wait for New Audi A6 to be launched but there's no problem with this car as it's the oldest and reliable car. The Audi dealer in Pune is giving two offers first one is of low e.m.i. And the second one is of low interest rate but you'll get these offers if you bought the car on loan.

Last edited by GTO : 8th February 2017 at 09:41. Reason: Typo
Old 26th March 2010, 12:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

My choice hands down would be the E250 or the E350 Both the petrol and the diesels are good. Newer cars more space and gizmo's then the previous generation E class. The BMW is cramped in comparison to the AUDI and the MERC. If you are self driving then the BMW wins hands down. The down side is the new 5 would be launched soon and you would feel dated in it. The Audi a good car and very deserving too but it lacks the punch in the looks department and the drive lacks excitement.

Now for the rear legroom and comfort in comparison to the Accord would be the Merc then Audi, BMW gets left out here. Driving pleasure is the BMW then the Merc, Audi gets left out here. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th February 2017 at 08:28. Reason: Typos
Old 26th March 2010, 13:42   #8
BHPian

the latest editions of all the mags have a comparison between the new 5, new E, A6 & the Jag.

The new 5 comes out on top.

Lots of queries to be answered before anyone can recommend anything.

Self-drive or chauffeur driven would be the primary question. If self drive, nothing compares to the BMW. The drive on the Audi isn't great. I haven't driven the new E or the Jag. But I prefer the drive of the BMW.

The ride is something else altogether. The ride on the BMW is not forgiving when it comes to potholes. The Audi does a pretty good job though. I'm sure the Merc does too.

Try and take a longish test ride and cover as many different road surfaces as possible.

I've heard that the new 5-Series should be launched in India in may 2010. No news on the variants though.

So if you don't mind an 'outdated' design, get ready for some massive discounts on the outgoing 5.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th February 2017 at 08:25. Reason: Font formatting
Old 26th March 2010, 14:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

As you haven't mentioned anything about brand image, I would suggest you to check out the Volvo S80!!
Old 26th March 2010, 14:59   #10
BHPian

Volvo S80 - Seriously? A station wagon? let me correct myself...NOW a CHINESE station wagon!

A6/5(current) - Waste of 38/40 lacs! Outdated cars headed for an immediate ALL NEW avatar, poorly loaded compared to their new versions or of the best bet in your segment - The E Class.

I don't care much for the looks, but the full package is as enticing as it gets. for 41.5OTR Delhi the E250 should be your go-to choice! Its unanimous - nobody will disagree! Bangali Mr. CarCrazy gave an excellent review of his E250CDI and even i'm convinced! Atleast until the new 5er comes out!

Actually, you know what..JLR just opened it showroom in Delhi - No idea what models they are bringing in, but the XF should be in the same range?
Old 26th March 2010, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Volvo S80 - Seriously? A station wagon? let me correct myself...NOW a CHINESE station wagon!
Seriously?? S80 a station Wagon? Thats the XC90.
And if you keep aside brand image, I dont think the S80 is a bad choice. If you have a proper service center, its a great low profile, very very safe luxury sedan.
But my vote is still for the 5er simply because every time one crosses you, you can see that its a great blend of looks, power, features and you cannot go wrong with it.
Old 26th March 2010, 16:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
And if you keep aside brand image, I dont think the S80 is a bad choice. If you have a proper service center, its a great low profile, very very safe luxury sedan.
Quote:
Actually, you know what..JLR just opened it showroom in Delhi - No idea what models they are bringing in, but the XF should be in the same range?
I guess the Jaguars are CBUs. In that case, it would be upwards of 55 lakhs for the base XF. (Price based on US pricing $55,000 !!)
Old 26th March 2010, 17:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
You took me literally there bud. No - the S80 isn't a station wagon, neither is the XC90. The XC60/70 & the V series would be the wagons!

I don't care much for Volvo's and have a biased mindframe of classifying them as 'station-wagons', simply due to the dated aesthetics and American pop-culture references towards the brand.

As far as Quality goes, they are neither more nor less than any of the other brands out there - even a Hyundai would be equally safe!

I would suggest the 5er only if budget was a concern (around 37/38 for 520d vs 41 for the new E) - else the E would be my recommendation.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:23   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shut your eyes and pick up an E250 CDI or E350 CDI (depending on budget). Nothing touches the E for chauffeur-driven comfort. A perfectly contoured rear seat, unreal refinement and supple ride quality...the Merc is the best for your Dad.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

My perspective on this,

You asked if the new 5 is worth waiting for? Believe me absolutely yes! It will set benchmarks in that segment and knowing BMW India they will even load it with features more then what the competition is offering.

With that MB India will also get a little more aggressive with their E, and the whole package might get a bit better also with the new 5 coming in at that time you might also get some discounts on the new E as MB India will need to counter the new product.

E class is nice, but I really suggest you wait a month or so for the new 5. It may lose a point in comfort compared to E but in everything else it will beat the E.

All this is coming out from a die hard Mercedes-Benz fan... trust me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks