Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 19:57   #61
BHPian

Re: PICS : Car floor vinyl & lamination

It is more of a problem than convenience. The carpet might get all soggy and soiled in the monsoons but once a year its better to get it professionally cleaned after the monsoons, otherwise this stuff is only a temporary infatuation. It can ruin a good carpet it water gets in and maybe some of us might get rid of it by paying for a new carpet eventually. Best would be in very heavy monsoon areas, it is advisable to remove the carpeting and just lay the rubber mat, its easy to clean, you can see if the water is coming in from under, in any case you will save your carpet. And I am sure everybody is doing this only to save the carpet. Good luck guys.
Old 3rd May 2011, 20:26   #62
BHPian

Folks, I heard 3M dealers offer a carpet/padding..how effective is that? Also how are the looks please.
Thanks !
Old 8th May 2011, 21:11   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by polopm View Post
Folks, I heard 3M dealers offer a carpet/padding..how effective is that? Also how are the looks please.
Thanks !
Check out the discussion on this subject at the Chennai directory section
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenna...chennai-7.html
Sridhar K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 13:58   #64
BHPian

Searched for the type of Vinyl & the pattern which is used in Naveen Raju's Vento. Enquired from 3 shops which are dealing in PVC Carpets.

Was to know the prices, 1mm thick carpet is available @Rs. 40/- psf, i asked the guy who does the lamination for cars, how much material is needed for a Chevrolet Spark. He told 4 meters..!!

So if we convert 4 meters into psf it comes to around 85.XX sf, now:
85sf X Rs. 40/- = Rs. 3400/- only for the material & add the cost of labour & the chemical which is used to stick the PVC carpet to the original Carpet, they quoted Rs. 700/-

Total cost of carpeting = Rs. 4100/-

Any suggestions ? the cost seems to VERY high, as opposed to the other members who have done the same in Rs. 1600/- to Rs. 2500/-.
Old 24th July 2012, 16:09   #65
BHPian

I'm confused. The immediate benefits of a PU mat were proven during my last stint in Kerala when a lot of my cousins' cars were easily maintainable as its one of the first additional accessories that the dealer lures you into, when buying a car in Kerala. At least, so I've been told.

But, the risk of a leaking floor mat and fungii buildup cannot be totally ignored.

I'm approaching that time time of the year to take the car to Kerala and I'm confused whether a 3D mat or a PU mat is what I need. It's pouring cats n dogs there,
Old 25th July 2012, 15:40   #66
Senior - BHPian

[quote=sharma_sanjeevi;2357751]

Was to know the prices, 1mm thick carpet is available @Rs. 40/- psf, i asked the guy who does the lamination for cars, how much material is needed for a Chevrolet Spark. He told 4 meters..!!

I had paid Rs.1200 or something for my Spark, a friend of mine paid Rs.1400 for his i10 in JC Road here in Bangalore in 2010.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 12:44   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post

I had paid Rs.1200 or something for my Spark, a friend of mine paid Rs.1400 for his i10 in JC Road here in Bangalore in 2010.
I got it done for my Spark. Last year for Rs. 1400/-.
Old 26th July 2012, 14:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

any idea where I can get this done in Delhi?
Old 26th July 2012, 14:48   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Searched for the type of Vinyl & the pattern which is used in Naveen Raju's Vento. Enquired from 3 shops which are dealing in PVC Carpets.

Any suggestions ? the cost seems to VERY high, as opposed to the other members who have done the same in Rs. 1600/- to Rs. 2500/-.
I saw a Swift being done up with transparent vinayl in Navi Mumbai for Rs. 1500/-. He quoted Rs. 2500 for my Scorpio.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

I had recently got the OEM Carpets of my Honda City Type 2 and the Honda City ZX replaced at Pinnacle Honda.
The cost came around to 2.5-3k.

Its think its way better to use the OEM carpets with some mats over it and then replace the OEM carpet after a few years than getting the vinyls put.
cityvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2012, 13:29   #71
BHPian

As many said, this is nothing new and have been used for at least 10 years especially in Taxis.

Reasons given when I inquired in 2004/5 -
- Ease of cleaning
- Can go with further carpeting below this to act as a sound deaden-er
- A/C effectiveness will be good as there will not be any leak (!) I am not sure how true this is.

Have seen mostly in Qualis and Tavera as those has almost flat floors and of course as they were the most preferred for Taxi.

Unlike in the images in this thread, those were not put in pieces. It was almost a single sheet that was spread across, heated and put in such a way that you don't have any wrinkles or free moving areas. it was a tight fit unlike the first in the alto.

Adv:
- Easy to clean and maintain at least during rainy days. Cleaning the original carpet even in normal days is very much difficult.
- If right colors are selected, it would look good.
- If good quality, might also feel good.

Dis-Adv:
- Most of the mats over this sheet will not stay fit as this surface is smooth, the mats keeps moving.
- And the feel of keeping your leg on this is not great when compared to that of a OEM carpet.

Last month, I was quoted Rs.1300 for Fiesta Classic. I did not go for it.
Old 8th February 2013, 18:02   #72
BHPian

While at the accessory shop recently to check some art-leather seat covers, the salesguy offered the "floor lamination" to me. Sounded wierd and from the lamination term, I assumed that it may be some thin plasticky material.

Since the thread is almost 3 years old, does someone have a feedback on how things are holding up with their "floor lamination"?

Does the monsoon make it difficult to clean this? And if by any chance the floor material under the laminate gets wet, does the car smell?

Finally, would the owners recommend?
Old 30th September 2014, 00:15   #73
BHPian

I have similar floor lamination in the dolphin City and on hot days I get a headache after driving this car, something similar to headaches due to lack of breathable air.
I have this transparent plastic sheet like in this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2331850

Can someone clarify whether this headache is due to the floor plastic lamination, I leave the windows open for a couple of minutes when driving off while simultaneously switching the A/C on.
On hot sunny days there is this strong plastic vapor smell which floats around when you open the parked car, I step away for a few seconds after rolling the windows and then start the car, switch on the a/c and a few minutes later wind the windows up.
The a/c is always in internal re-circulation mode and my daily drive is about 25 kms one way.
Also the car has leatherette seat cover which make me sweat like crazy if I don't switch the a/c on immediately.

I read somewhere that it is dangerous to breathe plastic vapors in a car parked in the sun as it can lead to cancer.
This lamination helps the floor remain clean in monsoons but I am inclined to remove it due to the constant headaches as I don't get them in the other cars I drive and am not able to identify what the issue is so is more of trial and error trouble shooting.
If its not the plastic lamination to blame then I can think of retaining them as the City has beige floor carpets.

I need to observe this closely as I have read about random observations turning to valid concerns like here.
https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/...k=object-title

Last edited by s_pphilip : 30th September 2014 at 00:25.
Old 30th September 2014, 00:56   #74
BHPian

There can be a bunch of explanations for what you feel. The first word that comes to my mind is fungus.
Just try steam cleaning as offered by many car car setups.
Old 30th September 2014, 23:42   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post

On hot sunny days there is this strong plastic vapor smell which floats around when you open the parked car, I step away for a few seconds after rolling the windows and then start the car, switch on the a/c and a few minutes later wind the windows up.
Could be due to this, especially since some people have an allergy to certain odours. Though I am not a doctor, I have experienced headache when I smell too much of petrol and my family doc told this was an allergic thing.

That too, we dont know the quality of plastic that has gone into the vinyl, and also whether its really meant for that application. These accessory shops use jugad material to earn money. They even use vinyl flooring meant for domestic use in automobiles. Since a car will be subject to greater temperatures and lesser ventilation(since we tend to use AC) I am not sure if such material is approved for automotive application.

Hence, IMO its better to replace the carpet if it gets too dirty rather than living with such stuff which is a health hazard. Please do not use such methods to avoid dirt on the carpets. If required, the entire carpet can be removed and washed which takes similar labour as floor lamination. Hence do avoid it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks