Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 15:50   #31
BHPian

Re: Modifying a Honda Jazz

On a petrol car i dont think petes has a remap.

However you can do the following and have a significant gain
1. Performance Synthetic oil
2. Free flow exhaust
3. Free flow filter
4. Iridium Plugs
5. MSD ignition
These are the simple things that can be done to make it better. If you need more then move to Stage 2.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:52   #32
BHPian

I am glued to this thread now.. as the same engine is shared with the Brio. request mods if its possible to change the title to Modifying a Jazz/Brio
Old 12th June 2012, 16:13   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
4. Iridium Plugs
I think the Hondas in India already come with iridium plugs. It was written in bold on a board along with other Honda advantages in the showroom i visited.
Old 12th June 2012, 16:19   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay08 View Post
Sorry for asking a very basic question of you. I am new to car-lingo. and googling doesn't yield anything conclusive. Wanted to ask you how is one expected to rev a new Honda engine to overcome the lack of pull at low speeds (what, I think, petrolheads here call lack of low-end torque?). So, when you say 'drive enthusiastically' and use the gear-shift, what am I supposed to be doing?
So far I did not have first hand experience of a Jazz. I drove a friends Jazz and found the engine pretty forgiving. I was able to pull smoothly from uder 1000 rpm in 5th. Not much of a pickup though. To get good pickup you should keep the engine in the power band. Unfortunately, power curves are not freely available, Thr rule of thimp is from just below peak torque to just past peak power. In the case of the Jzzz/Brio I think it should be from 3000 to 6300 rpm. In other words select a gear so that the engine stays about (at least) 3000 or 2500 (rear seat occupants may complain otherwise) rpm. I will if I can find the power curves, then I can be more specific.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 01:47   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
So far I did not have first hand experience of a Jazz. I drove a friends Jazz and found the engine pretty forgiving. I was able to pull smoothly from uder 1000 rpm in 5th. Not much of a pickup though. To get good pickup you should keep the engine in the power band. Unfortunately, power curves are not freely available, Thr rule of thimp is from just below peak torque to just past peak power. In the case of the Jzzz/Brio I think it should be from 3000 to 6300 rpm. In other words select a gear so that the engine stays about (at least) 3000 or 2500 (rear seat occupants may complain otherwise) rpm. I will if I can find the power curves, then I can be more specific.
You are spot on, on the Brio the iVtec kicks in around 3.5 - 4k RPM and its a hooligan all the way to the redline.

Jazz owners - Do you have a top speed limiter ? On the Brio its limited to 145 km/h (90 mph)
Old 13th June 2012, 07:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

whats the price difference?
8850 for the Cosworth kit and some 349 USD including everything for the Injen.

Going for the Cosworth. Getting it from a dealer X-static Concepts in Bangalore.
9thsphinx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 23:26   #37
JRD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post
Jazz owners - Do you have a top speed limiter ? On the Brio its limited to 145 km/h (90 mph)
I believe it doesn't have any limiter. I've managed 160 on the expressway but barely! I think its the way the gear ratios are setup. They are more suited for urban driving rather than high speed highway runs.
Old 17th June 2012, 13:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD View Post
I believe it doesn't have any limiter. I've managed 160 on the expressway but barely! I think its the way the gear ratios are setup. They are more suited for urban driving rather than high speed highway runs.
JRD,
Honda has put a 90 MPH limiter(why o why) on the Brio, thai honda guys have managed to remove that.

If you notice the speedo, it doesnt go beyond 145 though. :(

There is a lot of aftermarket parts for the 1.2L honda engine in Thailand. (check ilovebrio.com)

Last edited by adityasiera : 17th June 2012 at 13:13.
Old 17th June 2012, 16:25   #39
JRD
BHPian

you are right, it seems to be electronically limited. As far as the jazz is concerned from my experience i can tell you its not limited. Sure the gearing doesnt allow it to above a certain speed but its not limited for sure.

I think honda has kept the brio limited to control the behavior of the car. After testing it they must have determined that 145 km/h is a top speed which is stable for the brio's suspension and tyre setup. Just a thought.

Maybe some experts can elaborate on this.
JRD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 19:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Just got me the Cosworth CAI from X-Static Concepts, Bangalore and had it installed by Neighborhood Motors, Ahmedabad. Loved the express installation & service and Mr Tandon gave me a few tips on how to drive post-installation to give the ECU it's new readings. He even test drove the car himself to make sure everything was right.

Overall observation : The sound has become fantastic. Gone is the purr of the typical Jazz and post 3000 RPM on the ODO the engine growls and post 5000 it now roars. The pickup has slightly improved and the low-end torque (after some hard driving in the second gear and the ECU getting some new signals) has marginally improved. The engine now idles at 800 instead of the usual 1100 (I was told that this is usual post-installation of a CAI on certain cars) and I need to adapt to it with a more aggressive driving style.

Since this is a stage 1 mod, nothing much has changed otherwise. Next mod will be an FFE. Open to suggestions on that one!

Attaching a few pics during pre and post installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying a Honda Jazz-photo-1.jpg  

Modifying a Honda Jazz-photo-2.jpg  

Modifying a Honda Jazz-photo-3.jpg  

Modifying a Honda Jazz-photo-4.jpg  

9thsphinx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 22:47   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just got me the Cosworth CAI from X-Static Concepts, Bangalore and had it installed by Neighborhood Motors, Ahmedabad. Loved the express installation & service and Mr Tandon gave me a few tips on how to drive post-installation to give the ECU it's new readings. He even test drove the car himself to make sure everything was right.
Hey congrats for the Cosworth air intake. Was you Mass air-flow sensor tinkered with or was it just a 15 minute job?? The reason why I am asking this is because I was told that the installation for my car (Ritz 1.2L) requires an entire day as the MAF sensor needs to be tinkered with in order to keep the car idling normally every time and it ain't just a simple 2 minute job!!

Also regarding the aggressive driving suggestion, I am not really sure about it. Yes it is a different thing that the sound is addictive and will make you rev but it is not a compulsion that you need to change your driving pattern.

Enjoy your Jazz!

Last edited by S2!!! : 19th June 2012 at 22:50.
Old 19th June 2012, 23:34   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!!

Hey congrats for the Cosworth air intake. Was you Mass air-flow sensor tinkered with or was it just a 15 minute job?? The reason why I am asking this is because I was told that the installation for my car (Ritz 1.2L) requires an entire day as the MAF sensor needs to be tinkered with in order to keep the car idling normally every time and it ain't just a simple 2 minute job!!

Also regarding the aggressive driving suggestion, I am not really sure about it. Yes it is a different thing that the sound is addictive and will make you rev but it is not a compulsion that you need to change your driving pattern.

Enjoy your Jazz!
Thanks. It was a 15 minute job. When you talk about keeping the car idling normal every time and tinkering with the MAF sensor, what was suggested to you had to be done? I was told that the Jazz has some automatic setting for idling, and cannot be messed around in any way. The only problem, if I may call it so is that the RPM has gone down to 800 or so on idle instead of the normal 1100, but that hasn't created any problem until now as such.

Driving style change was suggested because I am otherwise a sedate driver, and to feed in new settings to the ECU, I had to be a little aggressive so that I can use the CAI's full potential. The car is mostly driven in the city so I don't really know how aggressive I will be able to get really, but I am already enjoying the sound when driving on the highways!
9thsphinx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 23:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Guys, head to some Thai forums for Jazz mods. You will not believe how the Thais mod their Jazz. I had an opportunity to drive one of the modded 1.5L. It was crazy. Intakes, suspensions kits, Low profile tyres, FFE, lighting, inbuilt computer. It had the works...

I am checking on few items to buy during my visit to Pattaya in August. Bangkok has a pretty decent accessory market. Issue is language. You need a local.
Old 19th June 2012, 23:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just got me the Cosworth CAI from X-Static Concepts, Bangalore and had it installed by Neighborhood Motors,

Attaching a few pics during pre and post installation.
Does the Jazz have underhood ducting similar to the ANHC to direct air to the intake. How is the CAI fed?
Old 20th June 2012, 10:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Does the Jazz have underhood ducting similar to the ANHC to direct air to the intake. How is the CAI fed?
Sorry, that's a bit on the technical side where I haven't bothered venturing. I left the installation to the gurus, while standing and admiring how quick and easy was the setup. But, if I am not wrong, yes, the ducting AFAIK is exactly the same in the ANHC as the Jazz.

Can the pictures do the talking? If required I can take some high-res images of the installation and put it up here, if that can answer your question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks