Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2014, 21:14   #421
BHPian

Re: Advice on CNG Conversion

Has anyone converted their Honda City IVTEC automatic to CNG? Please provide feedback on the performance. Was planning to convert my car to CNG
Old 10th March 2014, 10:14   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4amish View Post
No sir. Pratik @Shivam NX tried resetting the ECU thrice in past 6 months but still the problem persists. ====================
I paid 50k to shivam NX and they were very sweet at the start when I got the Lovato sequential kit installed.
@a4amish - Its been for past 10 days that I have been using my Honda on CNG and i haven't faced any such issues. Rather yesterday I pushed it to 130+ and it gave the same feel as on petrol.
I guess yours is a specific problem and not a generic. Did you try looking at reasons other than CNG doing this?
Old 10th March 2014, 22:06   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorajay View Post
@a4amish - Its been for past 10 days that I have been using my Honda on CNG and i haven't faced any such issues. Rather yesterday I pushed it to 130+ and it gave the same feel as on petrol.
I guess yours is a specific problem and not a generic. Did you try looking at reasons other than CNG doing this?
I am pretty confident that this problem of mine (Engine going dead / off while on high speed with acceleration off) is purely due to CNG - ECU setting or definitely something related to CNG. This mostly happens when the AC is on and when the car speed is above 50 Kms/hr., acceleration is off, clutch is on and when I try to change the gear during this mode (even without changing the gear this is happening).

Reasons:
1. While on Petrol, this is not happening at all.
2. While on CNG (mine is a Sequential Lovato Kit), while the AC is on, the car's engine feels overloaded even on Gear # 2 it is not able to push the car up properly and I always have to press the acceleration pad completely to the bottom to wake the engine up.
3. I have already replaced the Spark Plugs & the battery has been fully charged as well.

Can some Senior Member advice on how & where can I fix this as I reside in Navi Mumbai? The above problems are very risky while driving on the highways and also during bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 11th March 2014, 09:35   #424
BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty confident that this problem of mine (Engine going dead / off while on high speed with acceleration off
Try cleaning intake manifold. If you don't want to do it yourself you can visit a mechanic who would do this in 15 minutes. Make sure he is opening butterfly valve and cleaning the grease from inside too.
sparkguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 13:20   #425
BHPian

Quote:
This mostly happens when the AC is on and when the car speed is above 50 Kms/hr., acceleration is off, clutch is on and when I try to change the gear during this mode (even without changing the gear this is happening).
Mine is a normal kit and not sequential. But I had faced a similar issue when I was once driving in Gujarat. The problem sounds very similar. The basic issue (not related to sequential, but in general) is that the idling goes below normal and fails to keep the engine up. When Accelerator is off and the clutch is on, the car behaves like in Neutral. Due to this, the engine RPM falls way beyond the minimum required.

One question for you though. Do you fill up CNG from the very same pump? If yes, then try to change that.

Now, for the solution, ask a sequential mechanic to increase the idling RPM setting. You also said that the car feels very dull with AC on. I also had a similar issue. The settings were changed and now, the car feels better however the mileage has reduced a bit. But I guess that is better than a dying car. I am not sure how the settings can be changed in sequential, but there must be a way that the mechanic would know.

Hope this helps.
DipakDZireLover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 13:26   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakDZireLover View Post
I also had a similar issue. The settings were changed
Yours is open loop or closed loop? I am not aware the process on increasing RPM in non sequential CNG. Could you please guide us.
Old 13th March 2014, 13:31   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkguy View Post
Yours is open loop or closed loop? I am not aware the process on increasing RPM in non sequential CNG. Could you please guide us.
Well, I am no expert on this, but only know this from my own owning experience. As far as I know, the difference between Open and Closed loop is a feedback system. Mine is an Open Loop but has an Emulator (MOCC) installed. I was told that it does the job of managing the fuel flow. However, there are a few knobs that these guys turn in order to increase the flow of CNG and thus impact the RPM of the engine. You can feel the difference in the way the car sounds while the bonnet is open.
Old 14th March 2014, 08:57   #428
BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty confident that this problem of mine (Engine going dead / off while on high speed with acceleration off) is purely due to CNG - ECU setting or definitely something related to CNG. This mostly happens when the AC is on and when the car speed is above 50 Kms/hr., acceleration is off, clutch is on and when I try to change the gear during this mode (even without changing the gear this is happening).

- - - - - - - -

Can some Senior Member advice on how & where can I fix this as I reside in Navi Mumbai? The above problems are very risky while driving on the highways and also during bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Hi,

I own a WagonR K series with sequential kit and almost all the symptoms you have written were faced by me.You have not mentioned the mileage of you car.Still please get the below mentioned things checked/cleaned.

1.Injectors :

I came to this at last when everything else dint resolve the issue.
My suggestion is you do this first .

2.Throttle Body:

I have seen two ways to clean it.

Maruti way : They open the Air Intake section tube and pour some cleaning liquid on the throttle body valve while running the engine for approx 2 mins.After that they push the accelerator fully and keep doing it for 5-10 times continuously.A white smoke comes out of the Silencer.

FNG way : They open the throttle body and clean it via petrol.Change the packing and fix everything back.Try the Maruti way this time if you have done the FNG way earlier.

3.Check the wiring of the spark plugs.Change the spark plugs if required.

4. Change the Air filter to brand new if you have been using the same filter with air pressure cleaned.

5. Run the car totally on petrol for 500-800 Kms to see if and only if the issue re-occurs by chance on petrol as well.Run in heavy traffic & open highway both.

6.Change the engine oil & coolant.

7.Get the radiator cleaned.

8.Check if the battery terminals are properly attached and tightened.Change the terminals if required.

I hope that the issue will be resolved if you try the above mentioned points.
Please update once you are done with all the above.
T Y A G I is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 12:10   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Y A G I View Post
below mentioned things checked/cleaned.

1.Injectors :
Injectors come into play only in sequential CNG kit. In open or even in closed loop CNG, injectors don't do anything. Have you tried getting intake manifold cleaned? Cleaning intake manifold made a big difference in my case
Old 12th April 2014, 08:36   #430
Senior - BHPian

Guys i am contemplating on getting my civic cng'ed from Suraj auto. My only concern is reliability. In case of whatever reason the cng kit fails what i wanted to know is it possible to run the car on petrol mode only at the flick of a switch or not. The car should not leave me stranded even if the kit fails to work. Just getting my doubts cleared.

Thanks all
Old 15th April 2014, 14:31   #431
BHPian

Quote:
I am pretty confident that this problem of mine (Engine going dead / off while on high speed with acceleration off) is purely due to CNG - ECU setting or definitely something related to CNG. ========================

Buddy were you able to solve your problem mentioned ? Any takeaway tips for us?

Regards,
J
Old 15th April 2014, 15:38   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys i am contemplating on getting my civic cng'ed from Suraj auto. My only concern is reliability. In case of whatever reason the cng kit fails what i wanted to know is it possible to run the car on petrol mode only at the flick of a switch or not. The car should not leave me stranded even if the kit fails to work. Just getting my doubts cleared.

Thanks all
You can run the car on petrol whenever you want. There is a small switch along with the cng fuel indicator that allows you to switch between petrol and cng.
Old 27th April 2014, 00:03   #433

Hi guys. A friend of mine owns a 1.4L Aveo and is looking to put in a sequantial CNG kit. The car is 4.5 years old and has run 34k kms. He plans to turn it into a daily drive (35kms each way to his office); hence the CNG. We checked the forums but still have some questions. I hope this thread would be a good place to ask.
  1. the 1.4L Aveo isn't known to be a sprightly performer. What kind of performance drop (if any) is to be expected in CNG mode?
  2. What mileage can be expected on CNG? Currently it gets about 10.5-11 kmpl in city driving conditions on petrol.
  3. Aveo traditionally has a soft suspension setup, and the rear sags a bit with 5 people in the car. Do we need to do something about the suspension once the CNG tank is fitted? Stiffer springs perhaps?
  4. When should I expect to see a need for re-work of the engine in terms of number of kilometers done? From what little I could read from the internet, the car should ideally be good for another 60k odd kilometers. I plan to hold on to the car for another 5 years at least, as I have had a fairly trouble free ownership till now and it suits my needs pretty well.
  5. How reliably can the vehicle be expected to perform? Will CNG cause more breakdowns or develop nagging issues, etc? Basically, just trying to understand the drawbacks of getting a CNG kit installed (in a car that doesn't like to be pushed hard).
Thanks in advance
Old 27th April 2014, 10:18   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorajay View Post

Buddy were you able to solve your problem mentioned ? Any takeaway tips for us?

Regards,
J
Not yet. The guy (Shivam NX @ koparkhairane) doesn't respect for our Team-BHP forum at all. In fact he made a mockery about it and asked me to contact and meet you guys from forum and fix the problem. Can some senior member who has been using CNG help me in person? If yes, plz inbox me separately.
Old 7th May 2014, 00:50   #435
BHPian

Is it possible to remove a closed loop CNG kit from a car and then refit it into another car?

Most Viewed