Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2009, 22:29   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
There is just no way you will get the same results by just wiping with a dampish cloth!

I haven't tried many dashboard polishes. Currently I use the Forumla 1 product ment for that purpose. Best thing is that it leaves a really nice citrus frangrance which lingers for few days. My Esteem's dash looks like new even after so many years. When using a dashboard polish, its good to ensure that it prevents against UV fading. This is the main reason for fading.

Besides F1, I recently tried Waxpol's dash polish on my bike's plastic parts and console. The results are also quite good... leaves the surface looking rather "rich". however, strangely, Waxpol mentions that its product is only for indoor use. I'm not sure what they mean by that... as a car's dash will definitely be exposed to sunlight... if not water. There is no mention of UV protection either... hence I'd prefer F1.

The MASS also uses some dash polish at the time of servicing. Given that Maruti has its own brand for this (MGP or whatever), I'm guessing that this is what they might be using. Whatever it is, I'd rate it as farily ok. But not comparable to F1. Has anybody used Maruti's stuff?

Would love to try Turtle next time... but cannot source it. :(

Armour All I'd not like to touch again, as I found their Wax & Plolish product (liquid) to be pretty unsatisfactory in spite of being quite expensive.

Hi, I am also using F1, i chose the vanilla scent, i prefer citrus aromas, they just don't give much of a lasting scent in humid tropical climates, even my air fresheners which are also citrus don't give me even a subtle scent in Goa, however when i was in Pune recently, i noticed a big difference in the aroma inside the car, i could really smell the difference, currently i am in Bombay and my car is mostly in the shade, the scent is slightly more than in Goa where my car is parked in the sun mostly.

The f1 gives a nice subtle sheen and a good lasting scent, it works well on art leather seat covers without making them slippery, just subtle sheen and nice aroma. I have tried the waxpol leather care which was recomended by a sop in Goa, I found it too shiney and sticky, the shine lasted a month until i wiped it off today, even this morning my wife was complaining the door handles are still quite sticky, does a good job on the door rubbers though! I have seen the turtle wax available at a bp pump on linking road Bandra Bombay, he had a good choice there aswell the stp son of a gun etc...
Old 8th July 2009, 01:17   #32
Senior - BHPian

A dashboard polish is used to clean the dash and protect the plastic from fading and cracking, which happens because of the UV rays from the sun!

i would recommend a good brand which says it helps protects the dash and other plastics from UV rays!

a dash polish should never leave it shiny/glossy and sticky, thats not a dash polish, its just a gloss enhancer!

please dont use stuff which doesnt give UV protection!

a polish for plastic cant be used on a leather because leather is real animal skin and just like human skin it needs naurishment rather than dashboard plastic! dont try to save small change of money and spoil a good real leather seat!

plastic/glass/leather are all different polishes, and are for specific usage only!
Old 8th July 2009, 02:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
The service guys use Diesel in it's original form or mixed for shining your dashboard as the smell is like a petroleum product.

And Waxpol's Leather and Vinyl polish is a really good stuff for door beadings, Outer rear view mirrors and other plastic products etc. It gives a good shine.
Diesel?? Is that even good/safe for the intended use? Anway, I don't think they use diesel (not at the MASS I go to at least)... because I have not noticed even a moderate smell after they do the interior cleaning job.

As for Waxpol... I don't think shine is the only thing that you should be considering. It has to at least have UV protection! What Parm mentions seems true - it just seems to be a gloss enhancer.
Old 8th July 2009, 10:14   #34
gpa
Senior - BHPian

I dont think they use diesel. Must be some other petroleum based cleaner, which in itself is not good.

I use 3M's dashboard polish. It has UV protectors. I don't like a shiny dashboard, so I wipe it on and then wipe it off to get a matt finish
Old 8th July 2009, 14:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Diesel?? Is that even good/safe for the intended use? Anway, I don't think they use diesel (not at the MASS I go to at least)... because I have not noticed even a moderate smell after they do the interior cleaning job.

As for Waxpol... I don't think shine is the only thing that you should be considering. It has to at least have UV protection! What Parm mentions seems true - it just seems to be a gloss enhancer.
Thanks for the suggestion regarding UV protection. Please suggest some good brands as I have no idea of this stuff. I've usually seen cheap imported stuff and Waxpols.
Old 8th July 2009, 14:59   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I dont think they use diesel. Must be some other petroleum based cleaner, which in itself is not good.

I use 3M's dashboard polish. It has UV protectors. I don't like a shiny dashboard, so I wipe it on and then wipe it off to get a matt finish
Last time when i checked with Sagar Automobiles they were using silicone polish and they buy it from Johnson hardware.
Old 8th July 2009, 15:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

STP is the best. Waxpol really does give a very very nice glossy effect, but its too greasy/sticky.
Old 8th July 2009, 15:42   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion regarding UV protection. Please suggest some good brands as I have no idea of this stuff. I've usually seen cheap imported stuff and Waxpols.
As I'd said, I haven't used many. But amongst the ones used, I found F1 to be the best.

You could try any others from well known brands like Turtle.

Whats more important is to make sure you are getting a genuine product which isn't too old and is stored correctly. F1 wax fakes are the most common. Don't know if its equally rempant for dashboard cleaners though.
Old 8th July 2009, 19:45   #39
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Raccoon. Lets see what's the best available here, will update when I get one.

Regards
tSk
Old 8th July 2009, 20:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

I checked Waxpol's website. The packaging of Waxpol Vinyl and Leather Polish mentions UV Protection. But yeah, it is too shining and greasy but smells good.

By the way, my first Century post.

Last edited by tsk13 : 8th July 2009 at 20:26.
Old 8th July 2009, 22:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

Well i really love dashboard polishes, i have been using a not so known brand for past 5-6 years, Petrowax dashboard polish
Used it on my Santro, Esteem and now Linea. Really love the shine, it even lasts long. Here are some pics to show you :

The polish tin
Dashboard Polish - Is it worth ?-polish-box.jpg

This is near door area without using polish all dirty and dry
Dashboard Polish - Is it worth ?-without-plish.jpg

Shine full, back to factory shine
Dashboard Polish - Is it worth ?-polish.jpg

All my car care products, silly place to keep
Dashboard Polish - Is it worth ?-my-car-care-products.jpg
Old 8th July 2009, 22:57   #42
BHPian

i bought today a 3m Finesse-it polish, but i am not sure if its the one which is to be used on the dashboard panels, etc?
can you guys advice me on the same.
Old 8th July 2009, 22:59   #43
Senior - BHPian

Could you give more details on Formula 1 Scratch Out?! I have it with me, but have never used it. How do you use it and on what surfaces?!

I tried using it on a black surface and honestly found no difference.
Old 8th July 2009, 23:02   #44
BHPian

I use the F1 dash and plastics cleaner, it protects against UV rays, I use it for the dash and all the other plastics around the car.

For leather I suggest 3Ms leather polish, or the Stanley leather polish. The Stanley leather maintainance products are the best I've ever used! I even use them on expensive leather shoes!!!
Old 8th July 2009, 23:28   #45
Senior - BHPian

i have been using waxpol since 5 years. the dash has remained as good as new and not even faded a bit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks