Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 02:52   #1
BHPian

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim

Hello,

My 1st actual post on Team-BHP site and excuse me for any 'non-Team-BHP complaint' post or posting in wrong thread.

I did try looking in the site on this topic, could not find any ; hence creating a new topic. If there are any old posts, appreciate someone to point me appropriately.

Coming to the question, I am planning to change door padding in my car as it has some damages. Rat has eaten some parts. Inner plywood has been damaged and lots of new screws to make it tight every time.

<pictures attached>

Wanted to know of any good place where I can get it replaced/repaired?

Few factors I am looking for,
1. I do not want it to be fancy, but it has to be simple and neatly done job.
2. Cost is not a factor (as I do not know how much will it cost); but cheaper the better.

Also few other things, I would be getting worked in the future,
1. Change power window motors.
2. Replace existing central lock, as it does not work.
3. Change side mirrors. Good condition; but practically useless.

Currently getting seats cover changed at Imperial Inc, Vijaya Bank Layout, Bilekahalli, Bangalore for Rs. 5,500/-. Thanks to Team-BHP *thumbs up*
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html

PS: If this ain't the right place for this thread, request you to move it accordingly.

Thanks in advance! Appreciate your pointers on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-backright1.jpg  

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-backright2.jpg  

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-frontright1.jpg  

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-frontright2.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st February 2012 at 18:27. Reason: Smilie usage is restricted to 2 per post. Please get familiar with the board-rules in order to avoid collection infractions.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim

The best would be to go to Koyas Coimbatore, or any similar upholstery place, and get it done.

You will get a completely new look, personalized interiors! I was amazed at the level of quality they put into my decade old M Omni.

P.S - IIRC, Imperial INC guys too do the job. They do a great job for seat covers.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2012, 14:05   #3
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you checked with the authorized service centre they should be able to get you a complete new set for about Rs. 10,000 (all 4 doors). The fit of a genuine replacement would not be matched outside.

Though I guess recladding these with an upholstery guy linked with any accessories shop could cost less than Rs. 5000 in Pseudo leather for all 4 doors together. Nope I don't have any bang contacts.
Old 1st February 2012, 14:19   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The fit of a genuine replacement would not be matched outside.
ACM, if you see, the panels are in OK condition. Its the upholstery that has worn out.

IMO, any professional, experienced upholstery shop can do a better job than the cost cutting ones from the company.

But, yes, for the complete panel replace, company is better.
Old 1st February 2012, 14:30   #5
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
ACM, if you see, the panels are in OK condition. Its the upholstery that has worn out.

IMO, any professional, experienced upholstery shop can do a better job than the cost cutting ones from the company.

But, yes, for the complete panel replace, company is better.
Felt I saw a couple of screw holes on the panels and that to me indicates structural damage / deformation of the panel on the inside which will cause it to sag / give minor rattles besides requiring a screw based fitment (possibly visible) .

But am not sure if what I can see are indeed visible screw holes in places where there are none originally.
Old 1st February 2012, 16:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Go for a type 3 esteem interiors, fellow member yogisays0909 did that to his esteem, the door pads are molded in type 3 and the dash also looks nice. the price is also very minimal even if you buy it from the A S S

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 00:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
The best would be to go to Koyas Coimbatore, or any similar upholstery place, and get it done.
Thanks dhanushs, will check with my BIL in Coimbatore or my next visit there.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:07   #8
BHPian

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st February 2012 at 18:27. Reason: Smilie usage is restricted to 2 per post. Please get familiar with the board-rules in order to avoid collection infractions.
Sorry, still getting familiarized with site n rules. I realized it after posting.

Quote:
Have you checked with the authorized service centre they should be able to get you a complete new set for about Rs. 10,000 (all 4 doors). The fit of a genuine replacement would not be matched outside.

Though I guess recladding these with an upholstery guy linked with any accessories shop could cost less than Rs. 5000 in Pseudo leather for all 4 doors together. Nope I don't have any bang contacts.
No, I have not asked authorized service centre (RNS) about replacing it. But every time I go there (RNS, near Yeshwantpur Railway station), they drill a new hole :(
Hence I wanted to get experts opinion here.

Quote:
Felt I saw a couple of screw holes on the panels and that to me indicates structural damage / deformation of the panel on the inside which will cause it to sag / give minor rattles besides requiring a screw based fitment (possibly visible) .

But am not sure if what I can see are indeed visible screw holes in places where there are none originally.
Yes, over time it has accumulated few of screw holes (even on front handle bar). Before it gets decorated with some more holes/screws, planning to get it fixed for good.

Originally there were no screws. This problem is only with both front and rear right side doors. Left side door's padding are in mint condition (with plastic cover intact).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Go for a type 3 esteem interiors, fellow member yogisays0909 did that to his esteem, the door pads are molded in type 3 and the dash also looks nice. the price is also very minimal even if you buy it from the A S S

Pramod
Thanks pramodkumar, I will check with yogisays0909.
Old 2nd February 2012, 05:56   #9
BHPian

Many good suggestions. Must also add that you should find out how the rats got in to damage the door pads else your investment is at risk.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked with the authorized service centre they should be able to get you a complete new set for about Rs. 10,000 (all 4 doors).
The chances are getting them is next to NIL. Would advise you to keep the basic pad and strengthen it where it needs to be and do an upholstery job with someone good in Bangalore. Also think of how long you will keep this car.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
The chances are getting them is next to NIL. Would advise you to keep the basic pad and strengthen it where it needs to be and do an upholstery job with someone good in Bangalore. Also think of how long you will keep this car.
I am planning to keep it for another 3-4 years. Its '96 Carb engine, so far she is running very smoothly.

I looking for someone (team-bhpian) in Bangalore who can suggest me trustworthy service center who does upholstery work.

If I do not find anything in Bangalore, planning to visit Coimbatore (Koyas), as suggested by dhanushs.
Old 6th February 2012, 21:36   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I looking for someone (team-bhpian) in Bangalore who can suggest me trustworthy service center who does upholstery work.
Why don't you ask Imperial INC? They might even provide you with past examples they've work on.

As for seat covers they do a VERY GOOD job, so, this too might be just as good.
Old 6th February 2012, 23:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you ask Imperial INC? They might even provide you with past examples they've work on.

As for seat covers they do a VERY GOOD job, so, this too might be just as good.

Will be visiting them tomorrow or Wednesday to get seat cover fixed. Will talk to them.

Last time when checked, they were suggesting of getting inner plywood replaced in nearby shops and they will fix door pad covers.
I had concern of how good the finishing would be.
Old 7th February 2012, 10:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
I am planning to keep it for another 3-4 years. Its '96 Carb engine, so far she is running very smoothly.

If I do not find anything in Bangalore, planning to visit Coimbatore (Koyas), as suggested by dhanushs.
You need to find someone who can do some custom bondo/filling work my friend. I did a DIY long back making speaker pods and from my experience, you can use bondo/filler for those screw holes and make them look better.

Read up on google about making custom Fiberglass work. Will give you a pretty good idea of what I am talking about. Once the filling is done, you can get it painted to match your taste.Any good painter should be able to do this for you.

The door trim can be done at any upholstery shop. You need patience and time and you are good to go.

edit : Koyas aint cheap from what I know.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 7th February 2012 at 10:02.
Old 7th February 2012, 16:19   #15
BHPian

Got my seat covers fixed

Here are couple of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-esteem_il30.jpg  

Replacing a worn out Door Panel / Trim-esteem_il30b.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks