Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 17:59   #31
BHPian

Re: Custom Build : Tata Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUED View Post

I wish people understood that

Either ways....its just fun, all the comments help me keep context of what not to do, in short everything said here is general and average public opinion...and my work does not reflect that.

Cheers
Why frustration if you ask people about their opinion on public forum this is going to happen and I am sure if you want different clear thoughts then this is the right place, don't get frustrated use the comments as feedback.

average public

This is totally rude brother, what you mean by average public, what type of public and comment you are looking for?

Quote:
Design is functional and aesthetic...not functional or aesthetic

I just want get reactions, it helps me keep context in my own way.

Of course Not everyone likes the same things.

Please feel free to play the critics.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you have actually built, wait. lets make it easier. how many have you actually designed anything..?? anything at all?
May be not, I have not designed anything but you want designer's comment or user's comment?

Quote:
Agreed, but not everyone understands art....its objective and too personal..same applies to design
Humm, if your art is too personal then why to show in public forum.

Personally I like your other designs e.g. Optra and I visit your FB page lots of time.

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 11th July 2012, 18:29   #32
BANNED

Well sir you have destroyed a great vehicle with non reversible damage. I am sure the owner of the vehicle will be very depressed on seeing this topic. You could have added larger tires, wide body fenders, off road suspension etc.
Old 11th July 2012, 19:14   #33
BHPian

Hey TORQUED,

I appreciate your effort. But from your post I understand that you needed inputs/comments. When most of the people commented in the -ve you should have wisely understood that there is something wrong somewhere rather than unwisely conclude that there is something wrong with all the members.

I feel that you should take the comments in a positive manner and get the next design right rather than make sweeping comments on the members.

Wish u luck pal.
itsgeox is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 21:18   #34
BHPian

YULK!
The original Xenon looks a million times better. I'm really sorry if it sounded rude but I'm being very frank here.

Have you done any mods to the interiors?
Old 11th July 2012, 21:46   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it was a lot of fun interacting with you folks there, I am uploading some new pictures. Please feel free to give your views and ideas. Its still undergoing last minute detailing and touches.

Pictures are not great quality but ill be uploading Hi-res one if you guys would like to see em.
Whoa, looks like people are not too excited by your design.

Well, I have to go against the tide and say overall good job. Some things that could be better.

1> Grille---with missing logo is like tiger without teeth. Put it back on. Also macho truck needs thick bars like the F150 not tiny mesh

2> Its a super long vehicle and the outside spare makes it longer. Besides the spare is sticking out too much.

3> I loved the little vent right behind the headlight. Looks awesome.

4> Front bumper is too low, ducts are shaped a little awkward. Vents behind the front wheels are too large for that narrow real estate.

5> large blank area LHS of spare tire. I guess you can fit the number plate there.

Overall, keep up the good work and do post interior pics. I'd like to see the back seat and rear luggage area.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 22:06   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Whoa, looks like people are not too excited by your design.

Well, I have to go against the tide and say overall good job. Some things that could be better.

1> Grille---with missing logo is like tiger without teeth. Put it back on. Also macho truck needs thick bars like the F150 not tiny mesh

2> Its a super long vehicle and the outside spare makes it longer. Besides the spare is sticking out too much.

3> I loved the little vent right behind the headlight. Looks awesome.

4> Front bumper is too low, ducts are shaped a little awkward. Vents behind the front wheels are too large for that narrow real estate.

5> large blank area LHS of spare tire. I guess you can fit the number plate there.

Overall, keep up the good work and do post interior pics. I'd like to see the back seat and rear luggage area.
Looks like they dont like it...but thats okie.Some you like some you dont...

What i am really disappointed is the rigid objectivity and point of views here...People dont seem to grasp the concept of custom build maybe( i dont know what it is), It does not matter what car it used to be, its about what it is. Its not perfect, my design are in no way perfect.

The design fullfils the customers requirements emotionally and practically, its all that matters....like i said its customized and custom built to one persons likes and dislikes...its cannot please everybody.

Number plates, logos etc etc will go on the car, its obvious. but yes i see how that might have put a lot of people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
Hey TORQUED,

I appreciate your effort. But from your post I understand that you needed inputs/comments. When most of the people commented in the -ve you should have wisely understood that there is something wrong somewhere rather than unwisely conclude that there is something wrong with all the members.

I feel that you should take the comments in a positive manner and get the next design right rather than make sweeping comments on the members.

Wish u luck pal.
Thanks buddy...

I am not slaying the comments...they are welcomed.
Its the stereotyping on the forum that is disappointing

cheers

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Also Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2012 at 02:36. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 22:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

@Torqued

I too would go against the tide here and commend you for the effort. For a successful mod, one needs two things as mentioned by someone before, Functionality and aesthetics. While aesthetics can be very subjective, and differ from person to person, I guess your mod is bang on target when it comes to functionality. I have no experience with it, but Tata Xenon from what I have read in the forum is not a great machine to go off roading. Then why not mod it and make it excel at carrying you in comfort? From what I can see in your pics, the interiors would be humongous. I for one would love to see the interiors. Four bucket seats in the rear would make this inviting I guess.
Yes I would have preferred the front a little different to what is in here, but then thats the point of customizing is nt it. Mod it as you want.
All in all I am pretty impressed. If I had a xenon and the money to get this done, I would be knocking at your doors for the custom mod. Keep the good work and please give us a glimpse of the interiors too.

Last edited by vibbs : 11th July 2012 at 22:20.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 22:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
Well sir you have destroyed a great vehicle with non reversible damage. I am sure the owner of the vehicle will be very depressed on seeing this topic. You could have added larger tires, wide body fenders, off road suspension etc.
This car is not built for off road use....I see the concept is hard to grasp..

Why would one want to add larger tyres or wide body and off road suspension if its not required by the user?

Custom build of an SUV does not start and stop on off roading, bullbars, and fog lights...its goes far and beyond that, I can take an old contessa and add off road suspension and tyres, if thats whats required. whos to say its wrong?

cheers
TORQUED is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 22:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The design fullfils the customers requirements emotionally and practically, its all that matters....like i said its customized and custom built to one persons likes and dislikes...its cannot please everybody.
Well I always thought that an SUV version of the Xenon truck (like the Sierra) is anyday more desirable than a boxy Sumo for the same price range....& that is exactly what you have created.

Did you weld the box to the cab or fabricate it separately?
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2012, 22:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
Why frustration if you ask people about their opinion on public forum this is going to happen and I am sure if you want different clear thoughts then this is the right place, don't get frustrated use the comments as feedback.

average public

This is totally rude brother, what you mean by average public, what type of public and comment you are looking for?

May be not, I have not designed anything but you want designer's comment or user's comment?

Humm, if your art is too personal then why to show in public forum.

Personally I like your other designs e.g. Optra and I visit your FB page lots of time.

Thanks,
Vishal
I did not mean to be offensive with my comment earlier, i just ment it as general public opinion...

Im looking for all comments, designer and user. and its not about the design being personal to me but the user.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Well I always thought that an SUV version of the Xenon truck (like the Sierra) is anyday more desirable than a boxy Sumo for the same price range....& that is exactly what you have created.

Did you weld the box to the cab or fabricate it separately?
Hey M

The box is built into the main frame and body, its a part of the entire structure.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2012 at 02:35. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:43   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, but not everyone understands art....its objective and too personal..same applies to design
First look I loved it.Wanted to know where can I get one done for myself.But when I started to analyze closely I think you can be the next Dilip Chabria

The blurred image of the beast with the mods looks good.But the detailed pic with NON flowing lines,mismatching bumpers, lots of gaps here and there and similar spoilers just made a wannabe mod turn into a whacky mod.

I guess u have it in you , just would need to put in that last mile to get the things right.

Nice effort and all the best for future mods.Remember Rome was not built in a day and god willing, inshallah you will too turn out to be an awesome designer someday.
Old 12th July 2012, 10:02   #42
BHPian

Sorry, TORQUED! That's just how we are. This is a group of hard-core automobile enthusiasts. You should not expect us to be subtle in our opinions. We just happen to love cars and everything automotive. If we don't like any modification, you can pretty much expect a whole lot of comments on it.

What's to be said here is that I don't think anyone on t-bhp is looking to insult or slander you personally.

Hope you understand. I'm sure that you'll come up with a design that'll have rounds of applause from t-bhp, and that'll be the best compliment that you can get in India!

Last edited by coloneljasi : 12th July 2012 at 10:03.
Old 12th July 2012, 22:13   #43
BHPian

It's the color!!

At first sight, I did not like what you did with the car. Reminded me of some of those homebrew Sierras we see ever so often. But then I realized that its the color scheme that's killing your design. And that ridiculously cliched tribal vinyl.

This car will look a beast in metallic black.

Let me tell you why. One of the main reasons this does not appeal is the fact that you've mixed and matched design elements without following an overall theme. Normally it is sensible to avoid contrasting colors to anchor all the design elements together. But in this case, the high contrast white/black theme only accentuates the differences. The rear looks disproportionate and more like an afterthought simply because the window pane design is abruptly changed when it reaches the cab area. The front/rear windows follow an upward sweep while the rear is simply straight. This is made worse by the black cab top and chrome side beading. The tribal design is the last nail in the coffin.

And the busy rear profile is what makes the front look bland.

But in black, it will be a completely different story. All the eye will see is a menacing hulk of a vehicle. Large and intimidating. Since this is clearly not intended for off-road use, why spare the bling alloys as well? Almost Escalade'ish. It will be love at first sight.

As for the front, once the number plate is added, the overall look will change immediately. For the rear, again add plates and a light module. And either leave the spare tyre naked or get a full cover. Get rid of the plastic shroud type.

Also, I completely agree that its upto the customer to choose what he wants. But as a designer, it is your right to refuse to fall below a particular quality and yield to all requests. You will be remembered for your work and not the customer's ideas. As the expert, you can always tell them why a particular idea is not very sensible, plausible or both. Its not uncommon for designers to turn down work simply because the end product will reflect the company in bad light.

Overall, I love your design. But only in black! Imagine this car in black and tell me its not sexy.

And a tip for future, never ever put up an incomplete project for feedback. As somebody involved in design, I can tell you its a rookie mistake and you must avoid it. We know a lot of hard work went into this. But not everyone will immediately account for it before commenting. So missing badges, plates etc are simply not a good idea. Only a finished product should be displayed for critique. Especially if you're a professional designer. If you're a consumer getting this done someplace, then its fine to put up WIP. Same goes for DIY. But a professional outfit should never risk an unpolished diamond.

Lastly, do not get disheartened. You're obviously very talented. But I guess in your excitement to share it with us, you jumped the gun!

Thank you for sharing this and looking forward to more of your work!

Last edited by Tassem : 12th July 2012 at 22:14.
Tassem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 22:17   #44
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Oh! its finally finished. Had been waiting to see the completed pics after checking out the teaser on your facebook page.

Could you post some more pics after the detailing and other work is done?
The concept seems nice.
Have you done something to the interior?
A limo style layout could be provided I suppose.
Utilizing that huge space to create a sofa style sitting could be possible, right?

Also, is the vehicle painted in Matte finish?

Some suggestions:
1. That chrome strip should be removed or replaced with something black
2. The rear bumper's lower end is painted in silver, should have been kept with the overall black and white theme.
3. Those graphics don't look great, removing them would be better.
4. How about painting the rims and mesh black too. Will go with the overall theme.

It would be nice if you could explain, how you created this concept. What were the requirements given and how you ended up building this.

Regards,
Shoeb
Old 13th July 2012, 18:58   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it is for a customer...and yes the designs are as per his wishes...ofcourse the major design DNA has been done by us....everyone seems to say the original car would look better.....but thats the point of a Build...its not suppose to be the original car....

I wish people understood that

Either ways....its just fun, all the comments help me keep context of what not to do, in short everything said here is general and average public opinion...and my work does not reflect that.

Cheers

Buddy, we are here to help. So relax. It is your client who should bear your frustration, and not you. You did what your client asked for.

When it comes to photos, use a Proper camera. Mobile phones cameras are not that good for shooting photos. Get hold of a entry level Digital SLR or some prosumer Point-and-shoot digital camera soon. A clear picture is as good as anything, than a muddy, noisy photo. The modified Xenon may look good in flesh, but the pathetic picture quality let down the show.

In a enthusiast forum like this, be prepared to face all sort of comments. Develop thick skin when you ask for public opinion. I appreciate your efforts in building up this modification. Nobody said bad about your workmanship, but the outcome is not matching the overall expectation of the user base here. Being an enthusiast forum, quality and aesthetics play a vital role here. In fact, your THOR project looked way better in terms of finishing and bling factor.

Being a designer I must say there are some fundamental rules one should follow. Listen to your client. But never agree to a certain thing when it goes out of place. The client may think it is right, but from a designer point of view, we designers know whether it is wrong or not applicable. In such cases, we need to educate the client and make them understand. Also proportions and balance play a vital role in aesthetics of any design. There were some non-proportional, un-balaced design elements in the featured Xenon's mods.

Here's a piece of friendly suggestion. Equip yourself with a good workstation if you do not own one. Start with modeling your projects in 3D CAD on-screen, before you start working it out physically. This will give you a lot of clarity and space for improving the design.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks