Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 12:44   #31
gpa
Senior - BHPian

maglev,

I was at my MASS for the routine 20k kms service of my Alto. I am usually beside my car watching it as the mechanics work on it and on the wall was a chart pasted with all the oil grades for all the cars in the MUL stable.

The recommended oil for the SX4 stated on the chart was Idemitsu 5W30 grade. As MUL follows standardization, I don't think they will recommened one grade for its customers in Delhi and another for customers in Bangalore.

The Mobil 1 0W40 exceed the specifications recommened by MUL and hence is fine to use for the car apart from the cost factor involved. Try and source it from a Mobil distributor and you will get it at a slightly lower price.

The fully-synth oil will not damage your engine and you can safely use it from the first service. It is also not the cause for the engine vibrations that you are feeling.

The rise in the rpm needle when then fan switches on is normal as the engine rpm also rises to compensate for the load of the a/c.

As for the cause for the engine vibrations with the a/c on. Go back to MASS and get the a/c belts tension checked. Also worth checking would be the compressor mounting and engine mounting bolts, though it is highly unlikely that they would have gone loose after 1k kms of running.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
gpa
Old 15th September 2009, 16:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
maglev,
I was at my MASS for the routine 20k kms service of my Alto. I am usually beside my car watching it as the mechanics work on it and on the wall was a chart pasted with all the oil grades for all the cars in the MUL stable.
The recommended oil for the SX4 stated on the chart was Idemitsu 5W30 grade. As MUL follows standardization, I don't think they will recommened one grade for its customers in Delhi and another for customers in Bangalore.
The Mobil 1 0W40 exceed the specifications recommened by MUL and hence is fine to use for the car apart from the cost factor involved. Try and source it from a Mobil distributor and you will get it at a slightly lower price.
The fully-synth oil will not damage your engine and you can safely use it from the first service. It is also not the cause for the engine vibrations that you are feeling. The rise in the rpm needle when then fan switches on is normal as the engine rpm also rises to compensate for the load of the a/c.
As for the cause for the engine vibrations with the a/c on. Go back to MASS and get the a/c belts tension checked. Also worth checking would be the compressor mounting and engine mounting bolts, though it is highly unlikely that they would have gone loose after 1k kms of running.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
gpa

Thanks! I will get the belts and mounts checked this weekend. Hopefully it resolves the issue.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Help Needed!!

When I went for The First Service of My Maruti SX4 I asked the service adviser which engine oil would they put as I was expecting Idemitsu (read somewhere on Team-BHP) but to my surprise he said Mobil1 Fully Synthetic Grade: 0w-40. I questioned this, to which he replied that this is what Maruti recommends and it is because of the fully synthetic oil that the service intervals from the 3rd service onwards are for 10,000kms or 1 year (whichever is earlier). This sounded like a reasonable explanation. So I went ahead with it but it made my 1st FREE Service Quite Expensive. I ended up spending almost 7k thanks to the Mobil1 Fully-Synthetic and the under-body anti-rust coat.

After the advice of a few fellow BHPians I came to the conclusion that I had been Duped.
I'm seriously inclined to think you have been duped. Duped with respect to the advice at least. I seriously don't think any auto company in India will make the use of v expensive fully synth oil mandatory... except perhaps for top end cars. Why don't you try contacting MUL about this? Insist on speaking to a company engineer or something... and not to someone who is connected to a dealership.

Meanwhile, why don't you check up what min. API grade is recommended in the manual? Also, is there any mention about fully synth oil? As GPA said, MUL's recommendation is 5W30. I have seen this put up on boards at my MASS also. Since you don't seem to be keen on fully synthetic oil, you can use any other oil which meets this viscosity grade and the min API grade from the market.

Btw, Cheveron has a fully synth oil which, which as far as I can recall is of the grade you want. This oil is priced VERY competitively - approx 1 k for a 3 or 4 litre can! You might want to consider this it (haven't used it personally).
Old 15th September 2009, 21:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You're right Raccoon. BP sure has moved on. MAK has 3 flavours..the more advanced called Mak Supreme is 10W-30 API SM (pleasant surprise!) ...though a majority of Indian cars under our hot tropical weather wont take this viscosity. Some modern engines do, but definitely not a M800.

The other 2 are MAK classic 20W-50 API SG and Mak Elite 15W-40 API SJ. I think sumeet's M800 must have had fills of the Classic at the MASS.

Regards,

EDIT - Have not used MAK lubes either
Hi R2D2,
My car was filled with Mak supreme oil.It was green in color but frankly was not happy with it as far as smoothness goes.
Does this mean i will face trouble while changing to Shell ?

thanks
Old 15th September 2009, 22:53   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi R2D2,
My car was filled with Mak supreme oil.It was green in color but frankly was not happy with it as far as smoothness goes.

thanks
No Sumeet you will not have problems shifting to Shell mineral oil. But once again, please check the manual for the correct viscosity in Mumbai type weather. If I remember correctly M800 takes 20W-50 which corresponds to Shell Helix only, not the Super or Ultra varieties which are thinner oils. Ultra is 5W-40 synthetic and frankly not really recommended due to its much higher cost.

Rgds,
Old 16th September 2009, 00:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I'm seriously inclined to think you have been duped. Duped with respect to the advice at least. I seriously don't think any auto company in India will make the use of v expensive fully synth oil mandatory... except perhaps for top end cars. Why don't you try contacting MUL about this? Insist on speaking to a company engineer or something... and not to someone who is connected to a dealership.

Meanwhile, why don't you check up what min. API grade is recommended in the manual? Also, is there any mention about fully synth oil? As GPA said, MUL's recommendation is 5W30. I have seen this put up on boards at my MASS also. Since you don't seem to be keen on fully synthetic oil, you can use any other oil which meets this viscosity grade and the min API grade from the market.

Btw, Cheveron has a fully synth oil which, which as far as I can recall is of the grade you want. This oil is priced VERY competitively - approx 1 k for a 3 or 4 litre can! You might want to consider this it (haven't used it personally).

If the vibrations do not go away by getting the belts and mounts checked. Then I will be taking up the issue with Maruti directly. I know I was duped into using the synthetic oil but honestly my major concern right now is the vibration which I am facing. The (0.7-0.8K RPM Band) is the point where the car starts to Vibrate.
Irrespective of the fact that the A/C is on or not, Once the engine is warmed up and the RPM settles between 0.7-0.8K RPM during idling the car simply starts to vibrate.
As GPA suggested that the synthetic oil does no harm and the vibrations go away by simply getting the belts and mounts checked then that's acceptable to me.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:40   #37
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The (0.7-0.8K RPM Band) is the point where the car starts to Vibrate. Irrespective of the fact that the A/C is on or not, Once the engine is warmed up and the RPM settles between 0.7-0.8K RPM during idling the car simply starts to vibrate.
maglev,

While your at it, also get the ignition wiring and spark plugs checked. Vibration due to loose engine mounts is highly unlikely in a new car, so if they tighten all the nuts/bolts and belts and if it still persists, ask them to hook the car up to a Tech-2 scanner and check for engine misfiring.

Bottom line is a new car should not give any of the problems you described.

Do keep us updated.

Regards,
gpa
Old 16th September 2009, 16:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Be careful with Maruti. IOC MGO is API-CC - not even API-SG as specified by Maruti. Also, both these grades are obsolete since API now has only SJ, SL & SM as currently valid grades.

I recently came across Petronas Mach5 which is pure mineral but is API-SM! It is cheaper than Magnatec as well.
Old 16th September 2009, 17:33   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Hi R2D2,
thanks
Hi Sumeet,

I have also changed engine oil from Maruti MGO to Shell Helix Super at 20K service. Engine is more silent than previous and much better than before. Might be due to fresh oil, but engine temp comes much early to normal in cold starting conditions.

As R2D2 & Racoon has told there wont be much trouble in changing.

Please post your input after engine oil change.

Regards,
Shabbir
Old 21st September 2009, 16:21   #40
BHPian

what to do now??

I had gone to Competent Automobiles Mehrauli, this Saturday (19-Sept-2009), Met the Service Manager showed him the car, he took a small test drive and then got it inspected by a mechanic but unfortunately the car did not vibrate at all at the service station. I asked them what cold be the reason for the vibrations, to which they replied that it could be caused by several factors and it would take 2-3 hours to diagnose the problem.

They suggested me to drive the car for a few more days and if possible till the next service @ 5000 km. As the car was not vibrating and the RPM some how remained constantly above 850. I had no option but to leave as I was not being able to prove my point.

I reached home at about 8 in the evening. But to my utter disbelief when I was about to switch of the engine I noticed that the RPM Needle has started dancing all over again.
So I started video recording the the whole eposide. the RPM actually went down till 550 and remained there irrespective of the A/C (tried switching it on and off). I even revved the engine till about 2500-3000 RPM but then again it come down and settled at 550 and the car was vibrating.

But now I have the whole thing recorded on my phone so I will be going there again this week with the proof.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:19   #41
BHPian

The Vibrations seemed to be caused by faulty engine mounts, The Fully Synthetic oil which had me worried has no role in this, thanks for the Help & support GPA, RACCOON, BHPians.
The remaining part of my quest for a vibration free idle is continued on the following thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1498840
Old 27th September 2009, 01:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

Gulf has revamped its website -

Gulf Oil India - A Hinduja Group company

Was long overdue! Check out the oil section. They seem to have newer products now... like 5W30 etc. Has anybody tried their car oils? I am currently using their bike oil. It is very good.
Old 7th November 2009, 13:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Where to buy shell oil from ?

Hi guys,
I need to know where i can buy Shell Helix Super 15w-40 engine oil for my 800.Preferably can someone let me know where i can buy the same around the Andheri-Vile parle-Santacruz area.

Also am going to flush out the old transmission oil and refill , any idea what good brand i can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
Hi Sumeet,

I have also changed engine oil from Maruti MGO to Shell Helix Super at 20K service. Shabbir
Hi shabbir , how much did you pay for the oil.

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 7th November 2009 at 13:08.
Old 9th November 2009, 11:02   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi shabbir , how much did you pay for the oil.
I didnt remember exact amount its around 850-900, i will check MRP on container and let you know. I purchased it from Shell Bunk and paid MRP printed on the container.
Old 11th November 2009, 21:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
I didnt remember exact amount its around 850-900, i will check MRP on container and let you know. I purchased it from Shell Bunk and paid MRP printed on the container.
850-900 bucks,ouch buddy that's gonna hurt considering the car's not
driven much.

But let's see atleast i might try and inquire about the price.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks