Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 06:38   #1
Team-BHP Support

How to avoid sticking parking stickers on the windshield

How to avoid sticking parking stickers on the windshield-img_6863b_800.jpg

I'm sure most of us would have gone through this headache! My current car usage demands the following stickers to be stuck on the front windshield of the car -

1. Apartment resident parking sticker - Yellow & BIG.
2. Office parking sticker - Green.
3. Wifey's office parking sticker - White/Brown.

Might as well paint a rangoli on the windshield!

Last month i went through the pain of removing few stickers from the windshield when wifey resigned from her previous job, and it was decided then that i WILL NOT be sticking any more stickers on the windshield. To put a long story short - It took me 2+ hours even after parking the car in the hot chennai sun for a long time.

Moreover, i loved the transformation in looks once those stupid stickers were taken off the car! I then had one sticker to be placed, so I got it laminated in such a way that I could attach it temporarily to the passenger sun visor. Everytime I used to enter office - I used to pull the visor down.

BUT - after moving to bangalore - security has been tightened - and I have been presented with the dilemma of placing 2 more stickers on the windshield. Laminating the sticker would work, but I would require some kind of holder to place the sticker on the winshiled and remove it when it is not required. For now - I am managing with placing the laminated card on the car dashboard everytime I enter office (Yet to stick the other 2).

Ebay shows me lot of options of tax disc holders in the US, but that also require the holder to be stuck on the windscreen. I am looking for a solution which will act like a clip, but won't be visible/ ruin the looks from outside.

I am sure all of us would have gone through this at some point of time or the other and some BHP'ians may have come up with genious ideas to NOT stick these stickers. Please share your thoughts here.

MODS: Could not find a similar thread. Please merge/ move to the right section if necessary.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd February 2013 at 06:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 07:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: How NOT to stick parking stickers on car windshields?

I don't have a single sticker on my windshield. I have stuck all the stickers on a thick transparent plastic sheet (like the one used in office files). I have folded this sheet in half, and stickers are there only on the upper part. When I reach office or apartment, I keep this sheet on the dashboard. The lower part (without stickers) rests on the dash. I put a small piece of wood in between, so that the upper part is touching the windshield.

The only problem is, the plastic sheet is a little crumpled after such a long usage, as I have to park the car in open when I am at office.
rohanjf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:04   #3
SDP
Team-BHP Support

CrAzY dRiVeR, a very valid concern and I like your innovative solution.

rohanjf, your solution is even better!

The stickers have big contact area and cleaning up that glue becomes a huge challenge. What I have been doing till now is stick the sticker on a clear thin plastic and then just stick the borders of the plastic to the windshield by using good quality 3M cello-tape. The glue area is smaller as compared to the sticker and cleaning becomes easier. Many a times I don't clean at all. Remove the last year's sticker and paste the new year's sticker at the exact same place.
SDP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

How big are your stickers? If they are just the size of a credit card, here's a solution!

How to avoid sticking parking stickers on the windshield-vehiclebadgeholdersgo7001lg.jpg

Name:  tkt.PNG
Views: 27899
Size:  17.0 KB
More info on the product: http://www.seton.com/vehicle-badge-holders-jm414.html
Warwithwheels is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 08:28   #5
BHPian

Hello CrAzY dRiVeR

I had the same problem , as i had sunfilm on windshield . I wrapped up my office parking sticker in a transparent polythene packing and sticked that pack with cello tape . This way of sticking helped me taking my another car to office parking without peeling of the sticker .
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here's what I do:
1. Remove the face peel off the parking sticker, exposing the gluing side.
2. Apply cello tape and cover the glue side completely.
3. Cut 0.5x0.5 cm pieces of both-side tape and fix the sticker to the windshield.

Advantages:
1. Stays on for as long as I need
2. Peels off in less than two seconds
3. Leaves zero residue
4. Can be shifted as is to my other vehicle, in case I switch vehicles on a single day

May not be the most innovative or elegant solution, but works just fine for the past 5-6 years now.
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Here is what i've done
Buy a transparent polythene cover typically used to store documents or you can reuse the polythene cover in which they pack new shirts.
Stick the office and apartment parking stickers inside the cover facing out.
Once done take measurements of your/passenger side sun visor and cut the cover such that it fits well. Seal all three sides of the cover keeping the sealable (glue) side open.
Fit the cover on the sun visor such that the stickers are seen when the visor is down and seal the open side.
Bring the sun visor down everytime you enter the apartment/office and put it up once you are out
Cheers,
Deepak

PS: Sorry crazy driver. Dint notice that you've already tried this.

Last edited by starter : 22nd February 2013 at 09:32.
starter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Here's what I do:
1. Remove the face peel off the parking sticker, exposing the gluing side.
2. Apply cello tape and cover the glue side completely.
3. Cut 0.5x0.5 cm pieces of both-side tape and fix the sticker to the windshield.
I have used exactly the same method. It is convenient & practical solution.
Removing & reapplying these stickers during sunfilm installation & and again repeating the same while removing sunfilm was a breeze.

Last edited by S.MJet : 22nd February 2013 at 10:01.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

All our cars have 4-5 stickers each on their windscreens.All of them being of office,school,club parkings.
I do not like sticking the stickers directly since the windscreens have tints on them,so if I would ever like you to remove them,the tint would get spoilt too.

I have got all the stickers laminated and stuck them all with transperant cellotape on the windscreen.
With this I can remove them whenever I want without damaging the tint and leaving glue residues.

Shall post a picture soon.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:17   #10
BANNED

Worse than the permits etc are PUC sitckers. Have to be done more frequently (fortunately it is now annual). They are all beasts to remove. What I do is to either use Seelotape on the back, or cut a piece of polythene to cover all but the periphery. What is the best to remove the glue is Diesel.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:44   #11
BHPian

I need to keep 3 stickers. I don’t like to stick anything on windshield. I paste these stickers on plastic sheet and keep them in map pockets of the driver side door. At the entrance if someone demands I show the sticker.
Old 22nd February 2013, 10:52   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

What i have put in all my cars is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREEN...item4ac0c1b513

Transparent and innocuous.

How to avoid sticking parking stickers on the windshield-kgrhqfi8fczkwo7qybrbjvsp3eg60_12.jpg
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:53   #13
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
What i have put in all my cars is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDSCREEN...item4ac0c1b513

Transparent and innocuous.
This is interesting. Would this rattle because of its non-glued contact with the windshield?
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:53   #14

thanks for this post! I was a little annoyed with the thought of putting some mandatory stickers on the front windshield. There is no one method that works, I found. Another pain is that dealers often paste their outlet name without informing buyers. I just got saved though. I rang my dealer quickly after seeing this post as my Alto 800 delivery is due Feb-end. He says it comes pasted in the stockyard. He was not sure whether he can inform the people there not to put that sticker, but he'd try. If I see that outlet name in my vehicle, can I tell those guys to remove it on the spot?
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
This is interesting. Would this rattle because of its non-glued contact with the windshield?
Nope. The sticker is transparent and the plastic part rests with tension against the windshield due to a slight bend in the design. Works flawlessly in three of my cars since the past three years.

I'll click pics and post when i get into the car.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks