Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2023, 15:39   #451
BHPian

Re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

Guys, any car cover recommendations for a 5th gen Honda City? Unfortunately, I'm shifting to a place with open parking, so this has been on my mind. Bird poop is the biggest danger because there are trees in the compound around the open parking space, and dealing with that on a daily basis is a pain. Please feel free to give recommendations. Quality being the primary consideration. Thank you!
Old 13th August 2023, 21:13   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Does anyone have any experience with car covers with spikes?

Attachment 2459661

(example image from amazon.in product page)

I park my car in street & there are dogs who like to sit on cars. So when they climb up repeatedly, the bonnet & front windshield end up getting scratches from their paws. I've seen these partial covers with plastic spikes being used to discourage the canine neighbours from using the cars as their thrones.
These are completely effective. These solve the menace fully.

I recommend these to all.
Old 19th August 2023, 23:51   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrakeDancer View Post
Guys, any car cover recommendations for a 5th gen Honda City?
I have been been using a car cover for a long time now. Two years for protection from harsh sunlight and later three years and counting specifically for bird poop. I have a severe bird poop problem as there are two lovely 50feet high trees in front of my house.
I have been using Polco N-Series for the last two years. It is bird poop proof in the sense it does not allow seepage. I would recommend the same for your case. Check the Polco website.
Old 30th August 2023, 18:16   #454
BHPian

Hi guys, can someone suggest a good quality car cover for Skoda Kushaq?
Old 7th October 2023, 12:33   #455
BHPian

I have bought the Hyundai premium car cover with my new Venue. However it is not soft, may scratch the car and very difficult to fold. Can any of you suggest a good car cover that is soft and wound scratch the car?
Old 8th October 2023, 02:38   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
I have bought the Hyundai premium car cover with my new Venue. However it is not soft, may scratch the car and very difficult to fold. Can any of you suggest a good car cover that is soft and wound scratch the car?
Any car cover will cause micro scratches under long run. Dust will accumulated under cover as you use and more so under open parking. Any premium cover won't prevent it. I have used TPH, Dupont, for almost 8 year period, out of that 6 years with TPH under open parking. TPH causes little less micro scarring than Dupont. All covers needs to breathe and this will cause some rubbing with body and this is the cause of such scratches.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2023, 09:28   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I had bought an Aqua king TPH cover for my 2019 Swift.
Over a year and now look at the condition of the cover. The underside has now started to look like a snakes skin and the cover has become brittle. I don't think I will be buying another TPH cover again. The warranty is for one year and post that it is just a few months in giving away. I think the cover might do more damage to the car than good.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-brittle1.jpg

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-brittle2.jpg

It has grown these spots and small bulges all over the underside. It looks so weird.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-underside.jpg

Once this is done I am thinking which next cover to use. I still need a water resistant and heavy duty cover for protection against outside scratches due to children playing in the compound. Also the neighbors a/c pipe hangs over the car and drips water every other day. Has anyone used Neodrift cover?

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 4th November 2023 at 09:31.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 00:05   #458
BHPian

beep boop beep
boop beep boop
beep boop beep
turn off alarm
stretch them muscles
check that kid has not fallen off the bed
go to balcony
check car cover is intact
freshen up
yoga + meditation - today the cover has survived, it may not tomorrow. Patience and mental stamina are of the essence.

This has been my morning routine for the last couple of years and its not without reason, see what the creatures of the night have done to what was my car cover #2. The lines seen on the top are all tears that have been painstakingly stitched up.

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20201213_224322967.jpg

A refresher of my previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
My car cover has met its grim reaper.

I moved residence and a bunch of stray dogs tore the entire driver side off. So when you look at the car from passenger side, front or back it look perfectly fine but as soon as you step to driver side, the entire car is visible, bumper to bumper

I ordered a ~Rs.700 cover from autofurnish on amazon and it turned out to be a good laugh. It was 2 sizes bigger than my tiny A-Star.

I have placed an order for Polco N-Series @Rs1741 incl delivery from polco website and I should get it around 20th July. Need to check if the dogs are generous enough this time.
The Polco N-Series was deployed on duty on 23/01/2022. It has been 2 days short of 2 years now and worthy of a long term report.

Lets get the basics out first. The fit was perfect, material and quality was good. The blue made it seem like a piece of sky had fallen onto the road. It has good water resistance. With the car waxed and covered, the cover can keep the car dry in medium showers and even from short bursts of heavy rain. The elastics would help keep majority of the dust off. The cover has successfully kept the bird poop off the car the entire time. It has performed better than the Tyvek cover which would pass some ikky fluids through after the first year.

What a new cover looks like. It becomes a landmark of sorts. I am pretty sure it is visible from space.
Swiggy/Zomato/Amazon/extra-terrestrial lifeforms: Bhaiya, blue car cover, first floor.
Skyfall:
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220123_214229541.jpg

But every dog has its day, and the dogs on my street had 5 such days. The cover was torn on the front, back, left and right. The top was spared because thats where the dog would rest!
After each surgical dog strike, I patiently stitched it back together - an arduous but somewhat therapeutic process. Like one of those weird days when you enjoy washing the dishes and question your sanity soon after. No point jumping the gun and buying a new one because that would only make the dogs feel better, the capitalists richer while I in a few days will inevitably lay at the bottom of the despair pit yet again just as before.

Just after the 4th attack:
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20230819_095437386.jpg

I heard the commotion during the ungodly hour and caught them in the act. Five dogs apparently chased a cat. The cat was sitting pretty in my neighbors house with one dog staring at it. The other four decided to abandon the chase and instead check what sticker I had on the car!

Anyway, it was a no-yoga morning but on the bright side the language was colourful. Fortunately this happened around Diwali. The local grocer has a habit of sending a bag of sweets every Diwali and this time the bag was polco-n-series-blue, hurray! Wife never knew where that bag disappeared.

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20230819_133404207.jpg

The fifth attack was a stinker.
The whole left section, all along the red line was torn and lying on the road.
Thank god the dogs didnt run away with it at least! What you see here is a WIP pic.

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20231231_1324298372.jpg

All stitched up. It lives to see another day.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20231231_164739201.jpg

I felt it best for my mental wellbeing (the whole world seems to be on this subject post COVID anyway) to buy a backup cover. Considering how well the N-Series has served me I knew what I wanted. But like everything in life there was a spanner somewhere waiting to be thrown. The Polco website seemed to only show a subset of Suzuki's and the A-Star was not one of the chosen few. With a dying hope, I contacted the Polco customer care asking if they would kindly stitch one for me. And they agreed Got one newly stitched and in my hands in 2 weeks flat.

Here is what a 2 year old cover looks like.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20240116_180751011.jpg

Honestly, if it weren't for the furry friends, this cover would probably live for a year or even two more. The corner elastic (singular since only one corner has been spared) still holds well. The cover has a cloth like woven material on the outside and a plastic lining inside. Together they are tough.

My primary purpose of using a cover is to protect from bird poop. To this end, the cover has served beautifully.
In case you think I am kidding about the birds, feel free to zoom in below and guess which bird did what
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20240116_180848600.jpg
rajathv8 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 18:12   #459
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
I went ahead and bought Polco water resistant cover for my Linea.
It’s more than a month and it’s doing job wonderfully. Vehicle remains mostly dry with some amount of water seeping from cutout for ORVM’s.
It comes with under body belt, antenna and mirror covers. It’s a snug fit and looks nice.
I am satisfied with the buy. It costed me approximately ₹2000 and got delivered as per time quoted by Polco.
Hello Abhi,
Hope you are doing well. I'm am planning to buy a cover for my ignis. It is currently being parked in a covered parking lot but there is lot of dust in my area.Im very confused between coverwell,polco and ascot brands. How is your cover holding up, is it dust proof!?
Old 16th March 2024, 18:41   #460
BHPian

I got mine from https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ar-covers.html (Review: Coverwell car covers) for my Linea. Brilliant cover.
Old 16th March 2024, 19:04   #461
Senior - BHPian

I bought Neodrift cover for my Linea last week. The material quality, fitting is good! Only time will tell of its durability.
I bought their top Supertech material & paid Rs.5500/-.
Old 17th March 2024, 01:42   #462
BHPian

Any car cover suggestions under 2k for dust proof alone for a car parked ina covered parking space!.
Old 17th March 2024, 10:48   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhinaStark94 View Post
Hello Abhi,
Hope you are doing well.How is your cover holding up, is it dust proof!?
Hey DhinaStark94! Thanks for the wishes.
Yes, the cover is holding quite good and is dust proof.

Make sure to dust your car before putting the cover on and not to put if the car is too dirty to keep the cover’s inner liner clean.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 13:17   #464

I can share my experience using TPH Covers. Though this is not a recent experience, i purchased the cover back in 2017.

I had a Ritz back then, got a TPH cover that was made custom for a Ritz.

Fitting: The cover did fit P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. 10/10 to TPH.

The Material: Thick outer material (some sort of plastic/Nylon) on the outside and a rubberized coating on the inside. The outer material did absorb water and it can hug your car a bit more snugly after the cover is wet.

Protection from the Elements"
Sun: Given the thickness, it does easily protect your car (paint and plastics) from harsh sunlight.

Rain: Does offer some protection from rain as well. But, i could not use this much during rains. As mentioned above, it ended-up fitting too snug. To start with, its snug already as the cover was custom made for a car. Upon absorbing some water, it just hugs the car further.

Cat/Dogs: In my 3 months of usage i did not notice the cover tearing-up due to a cat or dog. Full marks there.

Using the cover itself:
Back then, i used to use a Jopasu duster religiously. I would dust the car before covering the car and once after i uncovered it.

Since the cover was protecting the car from dust, the cover itself got dusty quite frequency. If you are someone who is allergic to dust then forget about doing this step yourself.
In order to keep the cover off the ground the cover had to be folded on top of the car. Lifting the cover from one side (front to back) and gently folding it over the middle, then lifting it over from another side (front to back) again, gently folding it above the rest.
Once you have managed to get the cover lifted-up, stretched across the roof, that's when you start rolling the cover from one end. Used this do this on my Bonnet. Once you are done rolling the cover, you should have a tightly packed roll that you may stash for storage.

With all of the above steps, i think the dust that accumulated on the cover and minor dust on the car body is good enough to scratch your paint surface and ITS A CHORE.

After using it for 3 months, i could not compel myself to go through the grind every time before i left for work and after coming back.
However hard i tried, i could not wash it that well. Washing a heavy cover is difficult (for those who do it by themselves will know).

Post that, i only used the cover if the car was going to be parked for longer duration.

Hoper the covers nowadays have improved.
Happyrev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 23:54   #465
BHPian

[quote=With all of the above steps, i think the dust that accumulated on the cover and minor dust on the car body is good enough to scratch your paint surface and ITS A CHORE. [/QUOTE]

I have adopted a 2 cover strategy for the dust problem.
My base cover is from Mytvs costing around 3k. I use a cheap Amazon sourced cover on top of it.
My parking is covered from topside but close to a busy road. 1 hour of exposure puts a layer of dust on the car .
With the 2nd cover I no longer bother about washing my base cover frequently.
I just ensure I remove top cover inside out so that the dust remains trapped inside, take it away and shake it hard in a corner without letting the dust fly allover in the air.
Then remove the base cover in similar way.
Its been a year , and my base cover is pretty clean.
Min dust transfer from cover to car.
Amazon cover has stated show signs of aging just with partial exposure to Sun and I will replace it later this year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks