Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2013, 16:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Remapped Fiat Linea. With switchable maps

Here are the few answers to the questions asked above

1. EGR Delete : I have verified it on ECU scanner as well as by peeping into open intake. There is no more puffs in the intake. My intake now stays sparking clean.
This has also increased power down the low rpms.

2. Pollution : My city FE has increased, my engine efficiency is more, with less throttle i consume less fuel, so i burn less fuel and hence i pollute less. I tested my car on the pollution check machine and the CO level has not increased even 0.2 % - so all pollution checks on my car pass on.
Secondly its a FIAT MJD - the engine that pollutes lesser than all other diesel engines. Ever saw the DCi engines. They smoke to glory even in stock mode. Ford engines- they too smoke a lot. - anyways dont intend to start a controversy here.

3. 2009 models: They have the older version ECU for the cars that come without Lambda. Wolf Team have managed to put switchable maps on them too. Hats off to them. They did 4-5 2009 model punto and linea and also swifts with 512kb memory.

4. How it works on punto - the Punto 75 hp becomes a beast literally. I loved the way the 75hp was transformed. You feel as if you are driving a high revving petrol engine.

5. The mileage post remap - If you drive normally as you used to drive before remap the mileage increases. This is particularly applicable for heavy Fiats. Due to remap i stay in higher gears, do very less shifting and the initial inertia is overcome quickly.
I used to get 14-15 on my linea and now i get 16-18 when driven normally. If driven fast i get 14-15 again.
Secondly the 1st map is the mileage map, if you have family cruising around just enjoy the normal speeds and better mileage.
With the concept of switchable maps like ones on BMW or high end cars- Power mode, sports mode etc you have such a better control and flexibility on your car.

Cost - please speak to wolf team directly. But i can bet that they are the cheapest in India period. And in the price what they offer is double the benefits in half the price.
amit_mechengg is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 12:35   #17
Senior - BHPian

So the car switches to Most powerful map once you touch 4100 RPM.
And you are not supposed to keep the pedal floored for more than 30 seconds in the most powerful map.

A Linea MJD does 160 in 5th gear at 4000 RPM and 170 at 4250, and 180 at 4500.So going by this remap,if you are in the Map 4,you wont be able to push the car to its top end,isnt it?;Correct me if i am wrong.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 13:07   #18
BHPian

The on the fly switch can be raised to any RPM.
rajivc666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 14:43   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The FIATs came with BOSCH ECUs for the initial batch. They had very limited ROM memory, I guess something around 512KB.

But the current crop, from 2010 onwards, have Magneti Marelli ECUs, which has around 2.5MB of ROM space IIRC. So, this gives to opportunity to save 4 maps.
How sure are you on this?

My ride is the first to be delivered in Bangy, so definitely the first lot.

I am pretty sure my ride is controlled by a MM brain rather than Bosch.

Second bit : If someone is running Bosch ECU in their Puntos, can you please PM me with the details. Meanwhile, I will run some background checks on these maps.
Old 18th December 2013, 14:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
How sure are you on this?

My ride is the first to be delivered in Bangy, so definitely the first lot.
Pretty sure.

Quote:
I am pretty sure my ride is controlled by a MM brain rather than Bosch.
Can you get few pics of the ECU? As per VIN, when is your car manufactured?

Quote:
Second bit : If someone is running Bosch ECU in their Puntos, can you please PM me with the details. Meanwhile, I will run some background checks on these maps.
What details do you require? Will try getting them.
Old 18th December 2013, 16:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The FIATs came with BOSCH ECUs for the initial batch. They had very limited ROM memory, I guess something around 512KB.

But the current crop, from 2010 onwards, have Magneti Marelli ECUs, which has around 2.5MB of ROM space IIRC.
Initial batch... maybe, I don't know. But the switch, if any, has happened in '09 itself.
Mine is a September manufactured '09 (JPZ) model. It has a Magneti Marelli ECU.
*off-topic*
Why would Fiat opt for a Bosch ECU when they own Magneti Marelli?
Attached Images

Last edited by schakravarthy : 18th December 2013 at 16:17.
Old 18th December 2013, 16:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post

Why would Fiat opt for a Bosch ECU when they own Magneti Marelli?
I am not sure when the switch happened.

But there are Punto's with Bosch ECUs from the 09 batch. Hold on while I get some visual proof.

Regarding your question, Fiat does not own Magneti Marelli but Magneti Marelli is a major component supplier for FIAT. Lamps, Suspension, ECU, etc. I do not think Fiat owns any stake on them.

Just another example, FIAT uses both MM and Endurance struts though you know what.

And FYI, the FIAT petrols and the T Jet still use a Bosch ECU. Made in Hungary.
Old 18th December 2013, 16:39   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

OT Alert: Mods kindly move to relevant thread or delete if found inappropriate.

Magneti Marelli is a subsidiary of Fiat. Source is attached.

MMarelli Company Profile ENG 2011 dec.pdf

Why did Fiat use Bosch ECU, if at all it did, only Fiat can answer that question. Fiat is known to do strange things.
Old 21st December 2013, 17:10   #24
BHPian

This switchable maps sure sounds a very interesting concept. I had dropped a mail to WolfMoto asking about the availability of such maps for a Ford Figo. Apparently they are just finishing their R&D on the Figo and should have an answer in a months time. The Figo doesn't have a temperature gauge like most cars, so I am wondering how they'll incorporate the map selector in such cars.
Old 2nd January 2014, 22:48   #25
BHPian

Wolfmoto team is arriving at Tvm this weekend and I plan to remap my Swift Vdi with them. Will post any update after it. Any bhpns joining?
Old 18th July 2014, 10:54   #26
BHPian

This being a thread on review of Wolfmoto's switchable maps, I am just wondering, as the new Tata Zest is also going to have same VGT Multijet + Gearbox from Linea, being unsure about the ECU they are going to use, can we expect to have the switchable maps after one buys the Zest?
Old 18th July 2014, 16:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
This being a thread on review of Wolfmoto's switchable maps, I am just wondering, as the new Tata Zest is also going to have same VGT Multijet + Gearbox from Linea, being unsure about the ECU they are going to use, can we expect to have the switchable maps after one buys the Zest?
Yes very much. These guys can create a switch on many cars. Infact they are selling just the switch code to n number of Tuners all over the world.
Old 18th July 2014, 20:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Yes very much. These guys can create a switch on many cars. Infact they are selling just the switch code to n number of Tuners all over the world.
I am not able to find a single reason not to buy the Zest if one is looking for a new car in that segment. Yes, the only slight letdown could be not the most exciting drive. It's 90hp engine will fall easily behind compared with a diesel Amaze. A remap can however change this and if I buy one, I am going for this option day 1.
Old 21st July 2014, 13:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I am not able to find a single reason not to buy the Zest if one is looking for a new car in that segment. Yes, the only slight letdown could be not the most exciting drive. It's 90hp engine will fall easily behind compared with a diesel Amaze. A remap can however change this and if I buy one, I am going for this option day 1.
Truly speaking the MJD engines are more revv friendly than those of hondas. Drive it back to back and you will understand what i say. If your revv the honda engine you feel as if you are torturing it.
The remapped version is a total beast and does 0-100 in just 11.2 seconds - tested on VBOX. There is no comparison then. In gear acceleration on MJD engines is already one of the best compared to competition.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 21st July 2014 at 13:03.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 15:22   #30
BHPian

Hey Amit, It was great to read your experience.

How many KM's have you clocked on the remapped ECU? Any issues faced due to remapping?

Most Viewed