Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 17:29   #61
BHPian

Re: Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaravind007 View Post
The wiring kit is not the same(the ECU isn't the same, our car has the newer engine used in Xing's while this car is a 1999 model.) they said the engine will fit in perfectly. Brake drums on our car looks different, its slightly bigger than the old model, even the door hinge mounts are different even though they look exactly the same. We need to look into the differences closely.
I would pay special attention to the engine mount points on the old body, they may not suit the newer engine.

OT, I have really enjoyed this thread from the first post, can't wait to see the finished product.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 20:48   #62

You guys are 'enthusiasts' or a rare kind. I'm truly glued to this thread, and following your progress very closely. In particular, I'm curious about what you're going to do about the rusting of the reinforced parts of the shell (the 'load-bearing' areas) that have started to rust.
Keep going.
car_da_mum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 06:52   #63
BHPian

You guys are true blue mechanics. Amazing thread, Like all other Team BHPians I am glued to this thread too. Being a mechanical engineer working for a software company, I have only dreamt of getting my hands dirty in such a project. You guys have literally put the rubber on the road. As you've mentioned, its a community project now and eagerly waiting on your updates.
v6kgang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 15:30   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Hi Where is Aadikaattukulangara? I would love to pay this place a visit. A goggle map would do. Do they have any bike parts? Are there lancers in their yard? I needed a front bumper for my car and wanted some bike parts.

Thanks,

Pramod
Hi Pramod, sorry for the late reply, been busy with my office work. Here is the google maps link, I saved the placed on my first visit itself http://goo.gl/maps/5fKnU I've seen Lancer parts there (A lot of parts bearing Mitsubishi logo) and there was a Lancer body shell there, but in a really bad shape. I don't know if you'll get the parts you're looking for, but the place is worth a visit. But if you're in Trivandrum, I'd say check out Muttathara, there are a lot of Bumpers there, literally mountains I'd say! The place in Aadikattukulangara doesn't have any bike/2 wheeler parts; I've seen a Samurai though. They're only specializing on Small and medium sized vehicles there.

Quote:
I would pay special attention to the engine mount points on the old body, they may not suit the newer engine.
Hi VellVector, we also had the same doubts! Since the engine on our car is a newer version with a higher CC, we don't know if its gonna suite the old body shell. But the mechanics there said, they will. I've also consulted our trusty local mechanic and he too said it'll be the same.

I'll be paying a visit to the mechanic suggested by crdi located in Enjakkal to clarify before doing anything stupid!

Thank you so much car_da_mum! We'll be trying out the possibility of swapping out the rusted areas with fresh ones. Strength of welds and alignment of the front is going to be a problem. Swapping the whole body is the proper way to go I think.

Hi v6kgang, thank you so much! We'll be getting more time to work on the car as the Onam Holidays are coming here in Kerala!
Old 19th August 2015, 17:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsaravind007 View Post
Hi Pramod, sorry for the late reply, been busy with my office work. Here is the google maps link, I saved the placed on my first visit itself http://goo.gl/maps/5fKnU I've seen Lancer parts there (A lot of parts bearing Mitsubishi logo) and there was a Lancer body shell there, but in a really bad shape. I don't know if you'll get the parts you're looking for, but the place is worth a visit. But if you're in Trivandrum, I'd say check out Muttathara, there are a lot of Bumpers there, literally mountains I'd say! The place in Aadikattukulangara doesn't have any bike/2 wheeler parts; I've seen a Samurai though. They're only specializing on Small and medium sized vehicles there.
The guy at mutathara is a hoarder, he does stuff not sell things, his things are more expensive than new, please find out if the place in adoor has a front bumper(new model)

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2015, 17:55   #66
BHPian

Been glued to this work from the very beginning itself. Always loved the original santro shape. Try your best to reuse the existing shell, only that will make this a true resto. All the best bros!

Last edited by SandyX : 19th August 2015 at 18:18.
SandyX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2015, 22:22   #67
BHPian

I am glued to this thread since the beginning! You guys are lucky enough(hardworking too) to have the expertise to do this stuff by yourself, I have dreamt of doing such a thing myself!

I have a '99 Santro in the same red colour as in the above photos, and I'll be scrapping it soon as the NGT has banned cars older than 15 years in Delhi. However, car scrappers are quoting only 15k Though the car runs fine!

All the best for the resto!
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:03   #68
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Its been a while since I posted an update. Been a bit busy with my office and Onam holidays!

Update

We've made some progress on the car during the time. We completely stripped the body shell to its bare metal and sent it to a local body shop near our place for them to check the condition of the body shell and to see if we can fix it with welds.

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-1.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-2.jpg

Since the body has gone, we got some time to do a closer inspection on the engine and the engine frame. The frame too was rusted but not in poor condition and further inspection concluded that it was just surface rust. The oil filter was a bit loose, a couple of threads loose I guess and it caused an oily mess on the front portion of the engine.

We decided to prime and paint the engine frame and went with Duco Automotive primer and RioFlow black paint from Nippon.

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-3.jpg

We slightly sanded the surface and painted on two coats of primer and then used a single thick coat of black paint and it looks new

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-4.jpg

Front mail axle boots and steering boots were gone and we replaced them too.

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-5.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-6.jpg

I'm waiting for a verdict from the body shop. Meanwhile, we're planning to do an engine cover clean up and a bit of cam cover painting!

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-7.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-8.jpg

Someone dropped me an email saying he is ready to donate a 1999 model Mitsubishi Lancer that has been sitting for some time! Who knows! that might keep us busy after this Thank you so much for the support BHPians!
vsaravind007 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 01:45   #69
BHPian

Amazing.effort guys!

What sort of tools do you have with you..? It will be encouraging for few of us to know..
autodoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 22:23   #70
BHPian

Any update on the restoration?
james is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2015, 11:03   #71
BHPian

Guys we are awaiting the updates on the restoration.
Old 17th October 2015, 19:39   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Any update on the restoration?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionAmit View Post
Guys we are awaiting the updates on the restoration.
Update

Hello BHPians, sorry for the long delay! We haven't dropped the project! Infact, we've made a lot of progress on the car. I was too busy with my office.

Anyways, we've given the car to a welder who is good enough to do such a hideous job. We bought half portion of the red santro that I've posted before to weld it onto our car's chassis. That way we can keep the chassis number and the engine number badges intact. Firewall, running board and all other rusted parts will be replaced. He has started the work and hopefully it'll be getting done before the pooja holidays.

Look who we found!
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-1.jpg

Replaced steering stay boots as well
Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-2.jpg

Reviving a dead Hyundai Santro - Restoration Thread-3.jpg

I'll post pictures as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodoctor View Post
What sort of tools do you have with you..? It will be encouraging for few of us to know..
Hi Autodoctor, we've a bunch of tools at home, my dad working in ISRO is a DIYer from a younger age, we have almost all tools here - spanners, screw drivers, hammers, chisels, air compressor and cutters! I'll post the photos of our tool box on the next update. If we happen to require a tool that we don't have, we've a habit of buying it they can sit for a long time before getting used but, having a large collection of tools is kind of like an inspiration!

I'll post the photos asap. Sorry once again for the delay!
vsaravind007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 18:05   #73
BHPian

Cool. Sounds good.

Air compressors Man you are in luxury!

Good going. keep the spirit up.
autodoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 18:59   #74
BHPian

Amazing thing you guys are doing! Before embarking on such a journey, knowledge is the single most important factor. And I assume you have it all.

I too own a Santro (Xing 2007). Seeing an older version of the car being restored is going to be great fun.

Would be keeping an eye on this thread for more updates. Actually, I don't know what all is there inside a car. This thread is surely going to teach me that.

Do keep posting the pics! All the best folks!
Lakwontsing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 13:04   #75
BHPian

Friend, any update on the progress till now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks